Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1244130 times)

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #4665 on: September 11, 2013, 01:28:38 PM »
I am very interested in this dropping off at the UPS store...

I have two packages to return to Amazon (one their error, one mine)

I was specifically told to drop it off at a UPS drop box, that dropping off at a store or having UPS pickup would incur a $6 charge

Of course one of the darn boxes won't fit in a UPS drop box, sigh...

So can I really drop it off at a store?

That's what I did and there was no charge. I'm in the US, California to be exact. I just tell the folks at the UPS Store that it's a pre-paid shipment, they take it, ask me if I want a receipt and we're done. I do this with recycling HP toner cartridges, too. HP provides a pre-paid return label that I put on the box and just drop it off.

Nobody's ever tried to charge me for dropping at the UPS store. Perhaps you local store (they're a franchise) has an extra charge? Who told you that this charge exists?
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4666 on: September 11, 2013, 02:05:46 PM »
I am very interested in this dropping off at the UPS store...

I have two packages to return to Amazon (one their error, one mine)

I was specifically told to drop it off at a UPS drop box, that dropping off at a store or having UPS pickup would incur a $6 charge

Of course one of the darn boxes won't fit in a UPS drop box, sigh...

So can I really drop it off at a store?

Who told you there would be a $6 charge?  Did Amazon tell you that or did someone from UPS tell you that?  If it has the appropriate Amazon shipping label on it, there should be no charge at all for dropping it off at their place of business.

You just tape the label Amazon emailed you to the box and walk in and put it on their counter.  They say "Okay, thanks.  It will go out today" and you go home.  No charge.  No hassle. 

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4667 on: September 11, 2013, 02:18:04 PM »
I once shipped a tire with prepaid postage in a UPS store. I rolled it in, they noticed I had the tag and took it from me and I had to ask if I needed to do anything because they didn't even bother saying anything. And I didn't - I just walked out.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4668 on: September 11, 2013, 02:54:13 PM »
There is a new metal smithing magazine, Australian Goldsmith. Stay away - the people there are jerks.

I was looking over their website, wondering if there was a way to buy a single issue instead of subscribing. I came across their "News" sessions and I was very unimpressed - it read like something that Google translate had "written". For example, "For as long time, 1967 to be more exact, I entered the family jewelry business"

I decided to send them an email, mentioning how disappointing that is and how I hoped it was just a hiccough (ahem) since they had only printed their first issue a month ago.

Their charming response:

"Piotr
Trzeba skasowac ten text i dodac inny...
Ten o perlach trzeba poprawic..."

Sorry, nothing in the world would make me subscribe after that. I am irritated to be motivated to spread that little gem around the internet to their potential subscribers.

...they Google Translate-d their response to you? Did you work out what it said? :o

Peter
You have to delete the text and add other ...
This should be corrected by Süd ... "

:o

So Piotr is Peter, seems ok as far as names equivalents goes, but I don't know where Süd comes from and I get that in english, french and portuguese.
I'd say that answer wasn't meant for you lady-disdain
It looks like it might be Polish or one of the other Slavic languages that doesn't use Cyrillic.   Sorry, I don't speak it, just kinda-recognize it when I see it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #4669 on: September 12, 2013, 07:13:44 AM »
There is a new metal smithing magazine, Australian Goldsmith. Stay away - the people there are jerks.

I was looking over their website, wondering if there was a way to buy a single issue instead of subscribing. I came across their "News" sessions and I was very unimpressed - it read like something that Google translate had "written". For example, "For as long time, 1967 to be more exact, I entered the family jewelry business"

I decided to send them an email, mentioning how disappointing that is and how I hoped it was just a hiccough (ahem) since they had only printed their first issue a month ago.

Their charming response:

"Piotr
Trzeba skasowac ten text i dodac inny...
Ten o perlach trzeba poprawic..."

Sorry, nothing in the world would make me subscribe after that. I am irritated to be motivated to spread that little gem around the internet to their potential subscribers.

...they Google Translate-d their response to you? Did you work out what it said? :o

Peter
You have to delete the text and add other ...
This should be corrected by Süd ... "

:o

So Piotr is Peter, seems ok as far as names equivalents goes, but I don't know where Süd comes from and I get that in english, french and portuguese.
I'd say that answer wasn't meant for you lady-disdain
It looks like it might be Polish or one of the other Slavic languages that doesn't use Cyrillic.   Sorry, I don't speak it, just kinda-recognize it when I see it.

It does seem Slavic but I am no linguist. If it weren't an Australian magazine, run by an Australian team (according to a friend who wrote an article for it), I wouldn't have raised an eyebrow. Considering the situation, I am guessing it was deliberate.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4670 on: September 12, 2013, 11:44:43 AM »
lady_disdain wrote:

" If it weren't an Australian magazine, run by an Australian team (according to a friend who wrote an article for it), I wouldn't have raised an eyebrow. Considering the situation, I am guessing it was deliberate."

It seems like such a weird message, unless your name is Peter or some permutation of it.  I'd still guess that the email wasn't meant for you.  Given your new information I can see a joke getting misdirected (email from you says that the web site looks like Google Translate was used, and so the people involved start joking each other by using Google to translate the discussion into assorted languages) but the content of the message seems tightly directed, relevant to fixing the error you pointed out and not worded like an email you'd send outside the company, so I still have trouble seeing it as a deliberate dig at you.

Virg

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #4671 on: September 12, 2013, 01:25:58 PM »
It's pretty common for programming to be outsourced to Eastern Europe - it's a big industry there.  I'm guessing the bulk of the company was in Australia, but their tech/programming/website services were done by someone in Eastern Europe and at least one person in the main Australian office spoke whatever native language their techie used.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #4672 on: September 12, 2013, 03:10:51 PM »
Actually in high school I made a vow to never shop at VS, ever. At the time easy, I couldn't afford anything in there and my "white undies are practical cause you can bleach them" mom surely wasn't going to shell out the cash, but still a vow was made!

I was around 16 (maybe 17), and me and a few of my girl friends were at the mall mostly just hanging around and killing time before going to see a movie. We went into VS because one girl wanted some mints they sell (or sold, don't know if they still do) and yeah know looking at fancy undies seemed like fun. Well a sales girl (not much older then us) approaches and asks if we'd like to get free bra fittings to find out our correct size. Sure, free sounds good. She takes us over and is very friendly, tells us she's just started and she needs to get the practice so thank you for letting me practice on you guys. Great girl really. Well another associate joins her to help out (they were dead in there), so while first girl is measuring me, second girl measures one of my friends. Now my friend is not a small girl, she's a bit on the heavy size and well...blessed, very much so. First girl tells me my size and then tells me unfortunately we don't carry that in store (already knew that, I'm also blessed), but it is available on on-line. So far so good. Then second girl says (and I remember this to this day verbatim) "Oh, you're a big girl. Yes, we just don't carry sizes for big girls like you, in store or on line. You'll have to shop elsewhere", it was said in very mean tone. I could tell first girl was surprised at the rudeness of her co-worker and my friend was obviously upset. I have this problem where...I don't keep my mouth shut. I looked her right in the eye and said "You're a rude girl. We just don't like rude girls. We'll all be shopping elsewhere and letting our friends and family members know what a rude girl you are" and out we walked. I did call the store and explain what happened to the manager praising the customer service of the first girl, the manager responded "Well we don't cater to large women, that's not what we're in business to do", I replied, very sweetly "Funny, I assumed you were in business to make money, not alienate people, have a nice day" and hung up.

Then two years ago my friend got married and I temporarily forgot my vow and went into see what they had for lingerie bridal shower gift. First sales associate asks if I need help, I don't, and she tells me about a sale and leaves me be. The second approaches and tells me "I don't think you'll find much here", I just stare she continues "What we have is out of your price range and well dear, we just don't carry your size". Wow, she knew how much money I had and that I was shopping for a bra for myself (everything but bras in there will fit me), considering I said nothing of the sort I was very impressed by her psychic powers. I just looked down at the night gown in my hand I'd picked out for my friend and said "Yeah know, you're right, I was shopping for my friend's bridal shower and was going to pick out a nice little gift set of nighties and maybe some perfume but you're right, I don't belong here, I think I'll go give my money to another store. Be dear and re-hang this, thanks!" and walked out.

And now I really have never been back there.

Shalamar

« Reply #4673 on: September 12, 2013, 03:21:11 PM »
Glitter, almost exactly the same thing happened to me in a fancy lingerie store.  I, too, am blessed, and the salesclerk pretty much stopped me at the door, saying "We don't carry your size."  To be fair, they probably didn't, but she didn't even know why I was there.  I never went back, and I was nastily pleased when they went out of business a year later.

I used to be a Secret Shopper, and I have to admit that I loved it when stores treated me like garbage.  It all went in my report.   >:D

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #4674 on: September 12, 2013, 03:26:13 PM »
Glitter, almost exactly the same thing happened to me in a fancy lingerie store.  I, too, am blessed, and the salesclerk pretty much stopped me at the door, saying "We don't carry your size."  To be fair, they probably didn't, but she didn't even know why I was there.  I never went back, and I was nastily pleased when they went out of business a year later.

I used to be a Secret Shopper, and I have to admit that I loved it when stores treated me like garbage.  It all went in my report.   >:D

Oh..I would like that very much. I was very tempted to head back in with the bags from the other stores I picked out the gifts from a pull a Pretty Woman "big mistake, huge" type scene. I resisted...barley.

faithlessone

« Reply #4675 on: September 12, 2013, 03:38:39 PM »
Wow, is it all lingerie shops?

I had a similar experience in Ann Summers. I was with a couple of friends, and we were looking for a present for another friend who had just got engaged. None of us had really been in there before. I'm... blessed, as Glitter puts it. Very. The gods looked very kindly on me. My 2 friends, on the other hand, are of the stick-figure design.

As soon as we entered the shop, a sales assistant descended, gushing over my friends and how gorgeous they would look in this or that. Then she saw me, and said, in a sickly sweet and patronising tone that I have never forgotten, "Oh honey, we don't have anything big enough for you."

If I remember correctly, we bought some pretty wine glasses for our friend. ;D

Shalamar

« Reply #4676 on: September 12, 2013, 03:42:41 PM »
I was at an open-air market a few years ago and spotted a women selling hand-painted t-shirts.  They were beautiful, with pictures of peacocks and the like.  I went to have a closer look, and she said "Oh, honey.  My shirts can't handle your ba-zooms."    I was actually more amused than anything by that one.  :)

On the flip side, I was once visiting a consignment store, and the clerk told me - several times - that the plus-size section was over there.  Considering that I was a size 12 (maybe a 14) at the time, I was a bit bemused. 

Eeep!

« Reply #4677 on: September 12, 2013, 04:16:12 PM »
lady_disdain wrote:

" If it weren't an Australian magazine, run by an Australian team (according to a friend who wrote an article for it), I wouldn't have raised an eyebrow. Considering the situation, I am guessing it was deliberate."

It seems like such a weird message, unless your name is Peter or some permutation of it.  I'd still guess that the email wasn't meant for you.  Given your new information I can see a joke getting misdirected (email from you says that the web site looks like Google Translate was used, and so the people involved start joking each other by using Google to translate the discussion into assorted languages) but the content of the message seems tightly directed, relevant to fixing the error you pointed out and not worded like an email you'd send outside the company, so I still have trouble seeing it as a deliberate dig at you.

Virg

I agree - I'm thinking that they meant to forward your email to "Peter" and instead they replied to you or something.  If they were going to do a google translate joke email I would think it would be something more "hilarious" than editing instructions.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #4678 on: September 12, 2013, 04:29:48 PM »
I was at an open-air market a few years ago and spotted a women selling hand-painted t-shirts.  They were beautiful, with pictures of peacocks and the like.  I went to have a closer look, and she said "Oh, honey.  My shirts can't handle your ba-zooms."    I was actually more amused than anything by that one.  :)

On the flip side, I was once visiting a consignment store, and the clerk told me - several times - that the plus-size section was over there.  Considering that I was a size 12 (maybe a 14) at the time, I was a bit bemused. 

The fashion industry keeps changing the size number where plus size starts.  It used to be 16, then 14, and I understand that it is now a size 12 (if you're 5' 10" or taller).  When I was a blessed girl at 17 with a 36" bust (size 14 top then - now I think its a size 10) - before VS, so many, many moons ago - I had my mother picking out my bras.  She'd get whatever B cup fit "the girls" and the band would be...loose.  I was so happy to get to college, get a job, get married, and get to pick out bras that fit ME instead of what my mother thought should fit...
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 11:17:01 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #4679 on: September 12, 2013, 09:18:23 PM »
The only reason I go to VS is for the semi annual sale.  I can walk in with $50 and walk out with bags of pretty undies.