Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1142916 times)

Eeep!

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #4680 on: September 12, 2013, 04:16:12 PM »
lady_disdain wrote:

" If it weren't an Australian magazine, run by an Australian team (according to a friend who wrote an article for it), I wouldn't have raised an eyebrow. Considering the situation, I am guessing it was deliberate."

It seems like such a weird message, unless your name is Peter or some permutation of it.  I'd still guess that the email wasn't meant for you.  Given your new information I can see a joke getting misdirected (email from you says that the web site looks like Google Translate was used, and so the people involved start joking each other by using Google to translate the discussion into assorted languages) but the content of the message seems tightly directed, relevant to fixing the error you pointed out and not worded like an email you'd send outside the company, so I still have trouble seeing it as a deliberate dig at you.

Virg

I agree - I'm thinking that they meant to forward your email to "Peter" and instead they replied to you or something.  If they were going to do a google translate joke email I would think it would be something more "hilarious" than editing instructions.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #4681 on: September 12, 2013, 04:29:48 PM »
I was at an open-air market a few years ago and spotted a women selling hand-painted t-shirts.  They were beautiful, with pictures of peacocks and the like.  I went to have a closer look, and she said "Oh, honey.  My shirts can't handle your ba-zooms."    I was actually more amused than anything by that one.  :)

On the flip side, I was once visiting a consignment store, and the clerk told me - several times - that the plus-size section was over there.  Considering that I was a size 12 (maybe a 14) at the time, I was a bit bemused. 

The fashion industry keeps changing the size number where plus size starts.  It used to be 16, then 14, and I understand that it is now a size 12 (if you're 5' 10" or taller).  When I was a blessed girl at 17 with a 36" bust (size 14 top then - now I think its a size 10) - before VS, so many, many moons ago - I had my mother picking out my bras.  She'd get whatever B cup fit "the girls" and the band would be...loose.  I was so happy to get to college, get a job, get married, and get to pick out bras that fit ME instead of what my mother thought should fit...
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 11:17:01 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #4682 on: September 12, 2013, 09:18:23 PM »
The only reason I go to VS is for the semi annual sale.  I can walk in with $50 and walk out with bags of pretty undies.

HorseFreak

« Reply #4683 on: September 12, 2013, 09:44:04 PM »
VS can't do sizes right anyway. I'm a 32C-D depending on brand and I look outwardly like a 34B (which is the same cup size as a 32C, just a smaller band). Most people hear C or D cup and think Jessica Simpson (or Rabbit). I got measured as a 36B by an associate there and told her she was insane. She said I couldn't possibly be a 32C and they didn't sell that size anyway.

I order online only through Aerie or the VS semi-annual sale to get my size for cheap. Department stores don't stock it. If only more women knew how to properly size bras and how to change cup when changing band size they might be forced to sell a little more range. 32C is not an extreme size in the least.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4684 on: September 12, 2013, 10:47:37 PM »
^^^  It's my size too and I find them to be very hard to find!  :(

misha412

« Reply #4685 on: September 13, 2013, 12:03:01 AM »
Well, I dropped our local cable company for high-speed Internet service a couple of weeks ago.

I do work from home which means I need a reliable connection. For the past few months the service from this local cable company has gone from okay to horrible. Every few weeks the signal to our modem would drop off. It would start out as a drop for a couple of minutes. Then it became 20-30 minutes. Then it would be out for a couple of hours.

Call the cable company and they would check the connection from their end. The typical answer was that they could not see our modem. They will have a technician come out in 7-8 days. Thank you for calling, click. No troubleshooting, no trying to fix the problem over the phone. Wait a week for the technician to come.  >:( That is not acceptable for my business nor my personal needs.

Well, this problem was one that would come and go. We could be down several hours or a couple of days. But, by the time the technician arrived (7-8 days later), the problem had cleared itself. The technician would check the modem, check the lines, and say everything is cleared up. He leaves. Three to four weeks later, this scenario repeats itself.

When it happened the third time, I figured nothing was going to change. After being told the technician would be out in 7-8 days, thank you for calling, click, I decided enough was enough. I called the local phone company and set-up a DSL account. Within two days, I had the DSL service up and running. It is a slower service, but it is at least reliable and they provide good technical support.

I took the modem back to the cable company and closed the high-speed internet account. The ironic thing? The cable company did not cancel the technician visit. So, days after I had canceled the service, the technician arrives to check things out.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #4686 on: September 13, 2013, 08:02:06 PM »
Well, good news re: the GameStop debacle.

They never did reply to me, but I checked my bank account today and discovered the charge has been reversed! I didn't even have to go to the bank to straighten it out. Thank goodness.

I just wish I knew whether this was some terribly egregious error or what...
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

Emmy

« Reply #4687 on: September 14, 2013, 08:33:09 AM »
VS can't do sizes right anyway. I'm a 32C-D depending on brand and I look outwardly like a 34B (which is the same cup size as a 32C, just a smaller band). Most people hear C or D cup and think Jessica Simpson (or Rabbit). I got measured as a 36B by an associate there and told her she was insane. She said I couldn't possibly be a 32C and they didn't sell that size anyway.

I order online only through Aerie or the VS semi-annual sale to get my size for cheap. Department stores don't stock it. If only more women knew how to properly size bras and how to change cup when changing band size they might be forced to sell a little more range. 32C is not an extreme size in the least.

When watching professional bra measurements on TV, many women with good sized chests seem to be DD or above, yet that size seems so rare in the store unless the band size is large.  Most women seem to have too large band coupled with too small cup. 

I have heard from others that in general VS doesn't do a good job with bra measurements.  I would love to get one from a high quality store once I get out of nursing bras. 

daen

« Reply #4688 on: September 14, 2013, 10:20:23 AM »

When watching professional bra measurements on TV, many women with good sized chests seem to be DD or above, yet that size seems so rare in the store unless the band size is large.  Most women seem to have too large band coupled with too small cup. 

I have heard from others that in general VS doesn't do a good job with bra measurements.  I would love to get one from a high quality store once I get out of nursing bras. 

I've heard a lot of stories about VS "fittings", which mostly seem to involve taking measurements, then ignoring them completely to choose whatever size they have most of in stock at the moment.

I've used a number of online sites and resources for doing my own fitting, and I'm very happy with the results. I don't want to threadjack any further, so if anyone's interested, PM me.

suzieQ

« Reply #4689 on: September 14, 2013, 10:29:33 AM »

My DD is (IIRC) a 28B! I don't even know if they make a 28. She usually goes with a 30A, again IIRC, but has a hard time finding those too.
Check out my crocheted cross body bags for phones!

http://phlings.blogspot.com/

BarensMom

« Reply #4690 on: September 14, 2013, 10:34:08 AM »

I've heard a lot of stories about VS "fittings", which mostly seem to involve taking measurements, then ignoring them completely to choose whatever size they have most of in stock at the moment.

I've used a number of online sites and resources for doing my own fitting, and I'm very happy with the results. I don't want to threadjack any further, so if anyone's interested, PM me.

VS is on my list of "never darken their door again" because of that exact problem.  When I was much smaller (in band and cup), I used to go there because of the mistaken belief they knew what they were doing.  I wasn't until I got properly fitted elsewhere that I realized I didn't have to deal with poky underwires, spillages, and hiked-up backs.

I go to Nordstrom or, of all places, the Hanes-Platex-Bali outlet to get fitted.  Nordy's bras are longer-lasting and better constructed, Hanes are not as good quality-wise, but still fit and are priced right.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #4691 on: September 14, 2013, 10:57:57 AM »

My DD is (IIRC) a 28B! I don't even know if they make a 28. She usually goes with a 30A, again IIRC, but has a hard time finding those too.

http://www.biggerbras.com/

Searched by size - http://www.biggerbras.com/catalog/bras-lingerie-swimwear.shtml?ss_1=&ss_2=&ss_3=&ss_4=774

If you can sew and want to make bras for her - there are also patterns and fabric for sale at several places - but the patterns seem to start at band size 32 - there were 32 bands with AA and A cups already drafted - the band pattern pieces might be easily cut down or "copied" at 90% instead of 100% to see if that got it close to the correct size (I did a quick search - not an exhaustive one).  Training bras keep coming up for 28B - I don't know the age of your DD, if she's over 16, she may want a REAL bra, at least some of the time!

There is also a book from Australia - "Making Beautiful Bras" with instructions on drafting bra patterns using various methods (the low tack tape used for keeping hair in "spit curls" comes to mind as a way to mock up a bra, mark it where seams would go, then cut it apart to make a "first draft" of a pattern).  There is also a Yahoo! Group or two where bra making is discussed - if you like to sew and might be interested.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 11:04:33 AM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #4692 on: September 14, 2013, 11:00:43 AM »
I had that experience with VS too - although in my case, at least the lady was kind enough to be honest with me.  "You come up as a 34DDD, but we don't carry that.  This 36DD should fit in the cup nearly as well, so let's see if we have anything in the store for you."  I tried on a bunch of stuff that wasn't quite my size and ended up buying the only bra in the store that actually fit me (kinda).  And now I wish I hadn't, because it was $$$ and fits just badly enough I hate wearing it and I hit another store during a clearance a few months later and got a ton of better-fitting bras for cheaper.

Hillia

« Reply #4693 on: September 14, 2013, 11:11:03 AM »
Frederick's of Hollywood has a surprisingly large range of sizes. I can't speak for the quality, but they might be a starting place.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

daen

« Reply #4694 on: September 14, 2013, 11:37:09 AM »
Okay, I said I wasn't going to threadjack any further, but brastop.com (warning - UK sizing, which varies slightly from North American) specializes in D-K cups. There are frequently deals to be had, especially in fashion colours.