Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 978994 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #4815 on: September 26, 2013, 07:40:10 AM »
I love Target for baby and toddler clothes.   They're reasonably priced and they actually have cute clothes for boys. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

mumma to KMC

« Reply #4816 on: September 26, 2013, 01:36:37 PM »
I thought of two today:

1. Mediacom is the only way to get internets around here, so we signed up with them for DSL. We had to have a landline to go along with this, so got one of those too. Every day between 430pm and 10pm, our internet was slooooooooooooooooooow, like I couldn't even load twitter slow. My dh called a few times and they would say that bc everyone in our neighborhood was online, our speeds were slow. Thing is, we are in the country, we have three neighbors. My husband mentions that, so they said, we'll send a tech out.

Tech comes to the house and he looks at things. Sets up at my husband's desk and starts to call tech support on their end, on top volume speaker phone. I try not to stand over the shoulder of repair techs, but I wasn't going to let him be alone in our office area, so I kept popping in. At one point I found him with is feet up on the desk. Who does this? In the end, he said that it had something to do with the switch station at the general store down the road. He said that they would have to upgrade and he would put in a work order.

Shortly after that, I started working from home, so I needed to have an internet connection I could count on. So my husband started calling to ask about the status of the upgrade, but never got a response. In the end we switched to satellite internet which is more expensive, but at least it's up and running most of the time. :)

2. In the winter of 2009 we bought our first home. We used an agent who came highly recommended by a few different people, and she helped us navigate the big bad world of foreclosed home. We found one we loved, bought it, and set to work fixing it up. About 18 months later, my husband could not really stand another day at his job, so we started looking for something else for him. While staying in the area would have been best as we owned a home, we looked for options out of the area and found his perfect job 1000 miles away.

So I called the agent who helped us buy the home and the first words out of her mouth after I told her we wanted to put the house on the market was "What happened? Are you going to lose it?" Uhhhh. I looked beyond that and had her come to the house and check things over. She slammed the house, the condition of some of the floors (we were going to cover them with carpet), and the fact that the living room was wall papered (as it was when we bought the house) and ignored the fact that it had new windows, a new furnace, a new roof, and the nasty garage was torn down. She totally lowballed the selling price of the house as well.

We completed the quick renovations we could do in three weeks, (carpet, painting) and called another agent. Her only concern was trying to sell the house with moving boxes in it ;) A month later we moved (he moved first I followed a month later with the kids), but before we pulled out of the driveway, we signed a contract on the house. I know that if we had stayed with the first lady, we would have been stuck with that house for quite a while.

Cherry91

« Reply #4817 on: September 30, 2013, 10:42:53 AM »
mmmm lush fabrics. Baby Wolverine loves the velvety side of her bunny lovie.

back on topic.

At this rate there will only be two baby clothing stores (out of about twenty) in this town that anyone in my mothers' group will go to - because apparently the places that sell baby clothes don't want people with babies going in there.

As a mums' group we met up on Tuesday in the park at the centre of town. I had Wolvie in her Baby Bjorn, two other mums had similar carriers, and the other three had their prams. We had lunch, fed the babies (all between 5 and 6 months old) then went for a walk towards the shops.

First baby shop we went to - doorway was too narrow for any of the prams to get through. Okay, onwards!

Second - the woman who was manning the counter watched us all with such a hairy eyeball that we hightailed it out of there within two minutes - and she practically chased us out, waving a can of Glen 20 (Lysol, I think, in the States? antibacterial aerosol spray) and sprayed everything we'd touched BEFORE WE'D CLEARED THE SHOP!

We figure maybe these two are anomalies. So we go into a third baby shop - a couple of blocks away.

The two ladies at the register are talking to each other while folding tops, so we browse and look and one other mum found a top she liked, but only in size 000 - she took it to the counter and asked if they had any bigger sizes.
Cue a snotty look and 'I don't think so, and it's twenty dollars, a bit out of your price range."
All six of us, who had been talking to each other and had very obviously come in together, looked at her and as one dropped what we'd been looking at (I'd been considering a $80 sleeping bag, and one other mum put down at least $250 worth of bottles and linens) and left the store.

And then we all got home afterwards and talked about these experiences on Facebook.

Funnily enough, the only decent shop we went into all day was Target - the staff in the baby section were *wonderful* and even pointed out a tear-off-coupon that gave each of us 25% off what we were buying.

Wow, maybe I'm focusing on the wrong part of the post, but she got snotty over TWENY DOLLARS?!

Eeep!

« Reply #4818 on: September 30, 2013, 06:06:00 PM »

back on topic.

At this rate there will only be two baby clothing stores (out of about twenty) in this town that anyone in my mothers' group will go to - because apparently the places that sell baby clothes don't want people with babies going in there.

As a mums' group we met up on Tuesday in the park at the centre of town. I had Wolvie in her Baby Bjorn, two other mums had similar carriers, and the other three had their prams. We had lunch, fed the babies (all between 5 and 6 months old) then went for a walk towards the shops.

First baby shop we went to - doorway was too narrow for any of the prams to get through. Okay, onwards!

Second - the woman who was manning the counter watched us all with such a hairy eyeball that we hightailed it out of there within two minutes - and she practically chased us out, waving a can of Glen 20 (Lysol, I think, in the States? antibacterial aerosol spray) and sprayed everything we'd touched BEFORE WE'D CLEARED THE SHOP!

We figure maybe these two are anomalies. So we go into a third baby shop - a couple of blocks away.

The two ladies at the register are talking to each other while folding tops, so we browse and look and one other mum found a top she liked, but only in size 000 - she took it to the counter and asked if they had any bigger sizes.
Cue a snotty look and 'I don't think so, and it's twenty dollars, a bit out of your price range."
All six of us, who had been talking to each other and had very obviously come in together, looked at her and as one dropped what we'd been looking at (I'd been considering a $80 sleeping bag, and one other mum put down at least $250 worth of bottles and linens) and left the store.

And then we all got home afterwards and talked about these experiences on Facebook.

Funnily enough, the only decent shop we went into all day was Target - the staff in the baby section were *wonderful* and even pointed out a tear-off-coupon that gave each of us 25% off what we were buying.

Wow, maybe I'm focusing on the wrong part of the post, but she got snotty over TWENY DOLLARS?!

I was thinking the same thing- that is so bizarre to me!
Is babywearing not normal in your area, OP? That is the absolute only thing I could think of for why people were being so odd.  Like they have some weird ideas about people who do it?  You would think a group of mom's entering your store would be a boon.  :-\
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Asharah

« Reply #4819 on: September 30, 2013, 07:42:24 PM »

back on topic.

Is babywearing not normal in your area, OP? That is the absolute only thing I could think of for why people were being so odd.  Like they have some weird ideas about people who do it?  You would think a group of mom's entering your store would be a boon.  :-\
There was a story somewhere here about a Dad who decided to stop at the baby store on the way home from work since the baby needed some bigger clothes. The salespeople demanded he leave or they would call security. Apparently the only reason a man would set foot in a baby store is because he's a kidnapper.  ::)
Asharah

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #4820 on: September 30, 2013, 07:53:31 PM »
1. Mediacom is the only way to get internets around here, so we signed up with them for DSL. We had to have a landline to go along with this, so got one of those too. Every day between 430pm and 10pm, our internet was slooooooooooooooooooow, like I couldn't even load twitter slow. My dh called a few times and they would say that bc everyone in our neighborhood was online, our speeds were slow. Thing is, we are in the country, we have three neighbors. My husband mentions that, so they said, we'll send a tech out.

Tech comes to the house and he looks at things. Sets up at my husband's desk and starts to call tech support on their end, on top volume speaker phone. I try not to stand over the shoulder of repair techs, but I wasn't going to let him be alone in our office area, so I kept popping in. At one point I found him with is feet up on the desk. Who does this? In the end, he said that it had something to do with the switch station at the general store down the road. He said that they would have to upgrade and he would put in a work order.

Shortly after that, I started working from home, so I needed to have an internet connection I could count on. So my husband started calling to ask about the status of the upgrade, but never got a response. In the end we switched to satellite internet which is more expensive, but at least it's up and running most of the time. :)

Ugh, Mediacom. We used to have them (only choice until we moved - the apartment complex had a contract with Mediacom) and in the year we were with them, our internet was literally down more than it was up, and the TV service was just appalling. I think the last straw with them is when they had an outage during a snowstorm - we were set to get so much snow that people were being told to stay indoors unless absolutely necessary the next day, which meant Dad would have to work from home since he couldn't get in to work. So, as one does, we called Mediacom - before the snow had even started, mind - and reported the outage.

"We're aware of it, we're sending a tech out right away."

Yeah. No. They never did send that tech. Twelve hours later, when NO ONE in the complex could get on the internet, and 99% of them were working from home due to the storm, they admitted to it, with the excuse that "No one can go anywhere! Why do you need internet?"

That's...kind of exactly why people needed it. *facepalm*

Once we moved, we dropped them for CenturyLink, and they called us trying to get us to switch back. I've never heard my dad tell someone off like that before and still remain perfectly polite doing it. It was amazing.
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #4821 on: September 30, 2013, 08:26:47 PM »

back on topic.

There was a story somewhere here about a Dad who decided to stop at the baby store on the way home from work since the baby needed some bigger clothes. The salespeople demanded he leave or they would call security. Apparently the only reason a man would set foot in a baby store is because he's a kidnapper.  ::)

Then there was the time walmart called the cops on a Dad shopping with his biracial kids - who were calling him Dad. The family got home and found the cops at their house sent by wal-mart security.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4822 on: September 30, 2013, 08:52:30 PM »

back on topic.

Then there was the time walmart called the cops on a Dad shopping with his biracial kids - who were calling him Dad. The family got home and found the cops at their house sent by wal-mart security.

That's awful!

On a bit of a tangent, that reminds me of something else I found to be rather disgusting. It was "Walmart Bingo", filled with all manner of things one might expect to see at a Walmart. I admit to chuckling at some that were accurate, such as 3 registers open at their busiest times.  Or a child screaming for a toy or being allowed to wreck havoc while parents ignore.

But then there were the ones that were just disgusting for being very racist or otherwise prejudiced.  Racist comments, slurs against people on assistance, etc.   
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #4823 on: October 01, 2013, 12:33:27 AM »
The mini-storage place near our home.  We have been moving stuff to a unit there in preparation for doing some remodeling on our house and went to move some things down there this last Sunday.

The "heated, indoor unit" had 1/4 to 1/2 of water on the floor.  While we didn't lose as much as we could have since most of it was in plastic bins, we did lose a few things that we can't replace easily.

We weren't the hardest hit - our unit seemed to be up a slight slope from most of the water.  We went to report it and the person that worked there couldn't have cared any less if they tried.  "Oh well, the sump pump must have stopped working again."

Not even an "I'm sorry this happened to you."  We took everything out of the unit today and are taking it to a different company's facility tomorrow.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4824 on: October 01, 2013, 10:32:29 AM »

Wow - what about all the couples like my friend and his partner? Guess their baby will go naked since they are both guys, and therefore shouldn't be allowed in a baby store!!!!

gingerzing

« Reply #4825 on: October 01, 2013, 12:24:37 PM »
Once we moved, we dropped them for CenturyLink, and they called us trying to get us to switch back. I've never heard my dad tell someone off like that before and still remain perfectly polite doing it. It was amazing.

That is an amazing skill set.  My mother has it and I can pull it off every once in a while. 
My dad always called it "Telling someone to go to (e-hell) and making them look forward to the trip."

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4826 on: October 01, 2013, 12:33:24 PM »

That is an amazing skill set.  My mother has it and I can pull it off every once in a while. 
My dad always called it "Telling someone to go to (e-hell) and making them look forward to the trip."

I've heard it referred to as Irish Diplomacy.

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #4827 on: October 01, 2013, 05:04:56 PM »

We call it "Telling someone to go to e-hell and making them think it was their idea."
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #4828 on: October 01, 2013, 07:39:49 PM »

We call it "Telling someone to go to e-hell and making them think it was their idea."

I love all of those! ;D
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #4829 on: October 01, 2013, 09:01:16 PM »
re: baby wolverine and getting told off about a $20 top.

Baby-wearing isn't that common in our area, in fact I get other mums on the street stopping me to ask about my Hug-A-Bub whenever I wear it, they want to know where I got it.

I think the reason the sales assistant was so snotty about it was that it was just a t-shirt, a teeny tiny one (honestly I never look at clothes over $5 a piece for Wolvie) and the fact that between six of us and four prams we were taking up the whole of her shop... but we weren't blocking the entrance and if she hadn't made that comment we likely would have spent $3-$500 between us.
Her loss, and we've told all the other mums we know about the attitude we got in there.
Word-of-mouth through the mums' groups is a powerful thing, here in my town. The consignment baby-gear shop got itself a relocation out of it when the owner (who is AMAZING and so helpful when it comes to finding obscure stuff) posted on the mummas groups that her rent was going up. One of the mums told her that her family owned a bigger, better location and was willing to offer it to her at what she was currently paying.
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,