Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1132559 times)

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #4830 on: October 03, 2013, 03:39:33 PM »
My vet…. I noticed one of the cats was having tooth issues. I called the vet and got an appointment for that next Monday (it was Saturday) Took him in, yep, as I suspected, he needed to have the tooth surgically removed.   I was given an estimate from them of between $350 if it is a simple extraction to $500 if the root is broken and they have to open up his gum to remove it. Everthing went well and they had to remove 1 extra tooth (they called for authorization first) and asked to clip his claws while he was out (Heck Yea! He is REALLY hard to clip)

I got the call from the office… Nearly $900! *Strike 1*  I asked for a copy to be faxed to me as I was quoted $350-$500 and this is nearly double that!  When I got the bill, the expenses were reasonable and expected charges. I did not see anything that would not have been expected but even when I took out the extra tooth removal, the fluids, extra pain medication and antibiotics for him to have at home post op and the nail clipping it was still over $600. I asked if there was some way to make payments on part of this as it was very much more than I was expecting, I could pay $600 today and give them a check for the balance good at mid month.  No problem.

I asked to speak to the vet about the charges when I went to pick him up.  She showed me the x-rays and explained what she had done, about the medications she was sending home and how to administer them, ect.  I talked to her about the charges and she said she was just as surprised as I was about how much it came out to since it was such a simple procedure. The charges were all valid and they are letting me make payments on them.  I tried to explain that it was not the dollar amount of the charges but the fact that I had been assured repeatedly that the bill would be reasonable and I had expected it to be within the quote amount.  She just kept answering that they were letting me make payments.  I could clearly tell that WulfieMan was getting annoyed with her at this point.   He loaned me the money so I could just pay them off right then and there and be done with it.  **Strike 2**

I get home and a couple of days later am looking over the procedure paperwork they gave me and I notice at the bottom of the sheet that he was supposed to be on a soft food diet for 7 days and that I needed to bring him in the following week for a recheck. NONE of this had been told to me and by this time he had been chewing down on his normal dry kibble, happy and purring. I got him some wet food and other than licking every piece clean of gravy, he had no interest in it.  He is obviously feeling better and back to his normal self so no harm done there that we can tell.   ***Strike 3 and you are out!***

TeamBhakta

« Reply #4831 on: October 03, 2013, 05:53:52 PM »
I was dishing up the cats' dinner bowls in the spare room. I heard a random noise across the house. I thought "Huh, was that a knock at the front door ? Or was it something else ?" I heard the noise again. Then it turned into very persistent, nonstop POUND POUND POUND! TWISTS AND RATTLES DOOR KNOB MULTIPLE TIMES! POUND POUND POUND!! My family doesn't bang on doors that way unless you're either locked out or have a very heavy package in hand. So I figured it must be my dad or brother in law on the porch. Either that or some nut was trying to break in! I went to the peep hole and saw a kid and mom. I opened the door, noticed the kid was holding a Girl Scout order form and said "No thank you, we aren't interested in buying" and shut the door. I will never buy from anyone who pulls that kind of crap. One or two knocks is fine, but acting like there's an emergency is uncalled for.  >:(

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4832 on: October 03, 2013, 08:15:06 PM »
...   POUND POUND POUND! TWISTS AND RATTLES DOOR KNOB MULTIPLE TIMES! POUND POUND POUND!! ...

:o  What if the door had not been locked?  Would they have just walked right in? 

I would consider that to be very offensive and unfortunately not a safe situation for the child or her mother.  There are people who would use a weapon if someone were trying to break into their house and twisting the knob, much less actually opening the door, seems way too much like someone breaking into the house!

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #4833 on: October 04, 2013, 03:47:47 AM »
...   POUND POUND POUND! TWISTS AND RATTLES DOOR KNOB MULTIPLE TIMES! POUND POUND POUND!! ...

:o  What if the door had not been locked?  Would they have just walked right in? 

I would consider that to be very offensive and unfortunately not a safe situation for the child or her mother.  There are people who would use a weapon if someone were trying to break into their house and twisting the knob, much less actually opening the door, seems way too much like someone breaking into the house!

Twisting the knob is testing for possibility of entry... that IS breaking in!

Otterpop

« Reply #4834 on: October 05, 2013, 08:56:54 AM »

Twisting the knob is testing for possibility of entry... that IS breaking in!

What the heck?!!!  Were they expecting to walk in and present you the order form?  (Mom and kid could be "surprising" a homeowner who has a baseball bat or worse :o).

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4835 on: October 10, 2013, 12:45:46 PM »
The really good chinese restaurant near my office. We go there several times a month, food is good, great, quick service, and lunch specials are cheap.

So today we go, and we order. And wait. and wait some more. we got our soup, but not our meals.  and then wait some more. Meanwhile, they are running around doing takeout orders, and seating others after us. Who ALL got their food within 10-15 minutes. we asked them twice was it coming, and got no apology, and just excuses that they were busy with lots of takeout, and yes yes yes, its coming. then they disappeared. So after 45 minutes, and nothing, we left. IF you can't even apologize or admit (as we suspect) you forgot our orders, then sorry, you don't get our business. Today, or in the future.

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #4836 on: October 12, 2013, 02:05:54 PM »
A certain car rental place. We had reserved a car for the weekend and DH was supposed to pick it up at 11am. Except, they didn't have any for the 8 people who had reservations. It is a holiday weekend here so all rental cars are spoken for.  They arg now saying they may have cars by 4.   ::)
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

Erich L-ster

« Reply #4837 on: October 12, 2013, 02:51:41 PM »

There could also be a dog inside who would bite strangers walking into his home. Of course a dog must always be in control out in public but inside his own home against people breaking in?

Mika

« Reply #4838 on: October 12, 2013, 03:46:39 PM »

There could also be a dog inside who would bite strangers walking into his home. Of course a dog must always be in control out in public but inside his own home against people breaking in?

My mother in laws dog bit a child who just wandered into her house. Child was old enough to know better. Poor dog had to spend 10 days at the city pound in quarentine and developed kennel cough. Which equaled vet bills for MIL. Nothing happened to the boy for essentially breaking into someones home because he had 'suffered enough'.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4839 on: October 12, 2013, 04:34:19 PM »
This shutdown is causing me to reevaluate where I do business. DH and I will be able to pay our bills this month but not next month (fingers crossed it won't go on that long!!) so I've been making calls to see what to do, should it come to that.

Verizon will let us defer payment for a month without shutting off service but still charge a $5 late fee. I realize that $5 is a really low late fee and under any other circumstance I'd be thankful for it, but you multiply that by however many federal employees they have and it makes me wonder how much they'll profit.

My credit union won't help us out at all. They said if we don't make our visa payment they'll charge us a $30 late fee and report it on our credit. DH has been with this credit union for over 25 years and his parents much longer than that. Between our visa, various signature loans when we were starting out, all the cars we've purchased, etc. we've been sending money their way every month for 20 years. I'm so incredibly unimpressed right now.

I was going to call a few other places like State Farm and Honda but I'm so bummed now that I don't even want to ask. I know that these are businesses and nobody owes us a break, but still, it's not like we're all in this position because we were irresponsible.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #4840 on: October 12, 2013, 11:09:46 PM »
My aunt got Verizon, DirectTV, ATT, and Ford to defer bills.  ATT actually offered to simply defer until 30 days after the shutdown ended which was nice.  Verizon is not charging us a late fee.  DirectTV is also not charging a late fee.  I'm not sure about Ford.

I'm also unimpressed with your credit union.  That is crazy that they won't defer the visa bill. 

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4841 on: October 13, 2013, 09:15:45 AM »
My aunt got Verizon, DirectTV, ATT, and Ford to defer bills.  ATT actually offered to simply defer until 30 days after the shutdown ended which was nice.  Verizon is not charging us a late fee.  DirectTV is also not charging a late fee.  I'm not sure about Ford.

I'm also unimpressed with your credit union.  That is crazy that they won't defer the visa bill.

That's good to know about Verizon, if it comes to that I'll ask again. I remember saying "There's a late fee?" but I don't think I specifically asked them to waive it since I was just getting info and not setting up a deferment. I assumed she'd tell me if they were waiving the fee for us but you know what they say about assuming.  ;)

We were considering switching to AT&T because they have better service in our new location and they offer cable there as well, so bundling would be nice. Hearing how they plan to help during the shutdown is very impressive! We're actually mid-transfer right now and staying in temporary quarters so thankfully my cable, internet and utilities are already shut off and I won't have those bills next month.

mmswm

« Reply #4842 on: October 13, 2013, 02:08:52 PM »
This shutdown is causing me to reevaluate where I do business. DH and I will be able to pay our bills this month but not next month (fingers crossed it won't go on that long!!) so I've been making calls to see what to do, should it come to that.

Verizon will let us defer payment for a month without shutting off service but still charge a $5 late fee. I realize that $5 is a really low late fee and under any other circumstance I'd be thankful for it, but you multiply that by however many federal employees they have and it makes me wonder how much they'll profit.

My credit union won't help us out at all. They said if we don't make our visa payment they'll charge us a $30 late fee and report it on our credit. DH has been with this credit union for over 25 years and his parents much longer than that. Between our visa, various signature loans when we were starting out, all the cars we've purchased, etc. we've been sending money their way every month for 20 years. I'm so incredibly unimpressed right now.

I was going to call a few other places like State Farm and Honda but I'm so bummed now that I don't even want to ask. I know that these are businesses and nobody owes us a break, but still, it's not like we're all in this position because we were irresponsible.

I no longer use a certain bank because of something similar.  I had a habit of paying my credit card bill at the actual branch a few days before the due date. A hurricane came through, knocking out power for several days at the branch location and for several weeks at my house.  I called and asked if they could waive the late fee due to the act of nature closing my branch keeping me from making the payment on time (they finally got power back the day after the due date).  They told me they would do so, but when I looked, they hadn't.  Not only that, but the added late fee made me go over my limit, so they added an over limit fee as well.  They then said they never promised to waive the late fee.  Then they told me I should have just driven to another branch (where? I couldn't leave the property and there was heavy debris in the road preventing movement for a few days...it wasn't that I didn't WANT to pay it, it was that I couldn't.  I only had cash since I hadn't been able to get to the bank to deposit my paycheck before the storm). I borrowed money from my parents to pay off the entire balance (it was an emergency card and only had a $300 limit, and I'd just used it for car repairs), except for the two fees I contested.  It took over a year, but they finally took care of the fees and repaired the damage to my credit. I will never, ever have anything to do with that bank again.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

wheeitsme

« Reply #4843 on: October 14, 2013, 12:38:50 PM »

My guess?  Verizon probably won't profit that much, if at all.  If a family's phone bill runs $100, that's a 5% late fee.  Combine however many federal employee's bills, and that is that much money that they don't have out there paying the company's bills and making more money.  They might break even, but there's a chance they might lose some profit.

AnnaT

« Reply #4844 on: October 14, 2013, 07:29:53 PM »
A certain car rental place. We had reserved a car for the weekend and DH was supposed to pick it up at 11am. Except, they didn't have any for the 8 people who had reservations. It is a holiday weekend here so all rental cars are spoken for.  They arg now saying they may have cars by 4.   ::)

This so brought to mind the Seinfeld episode on reservations (I never actually watched the show but due to its popularity, I actually know a lot of its plot lines - this scene though is priceless!). 

"Agent: I'm sorry, we have no mid-size available at the moment.
Jerry: I don't understand, I made a reservation, do you have my reservation?
Agent: Yes, we do, unfortunately we ran out of cars.
Jerry: But the reservation keeps the car here. That's why you have the reservation.
Agent: I know why we have reservations.
Jerry: I don't think you do. If you did, I'd have a car. See, you know how to take the reservation, you just don't know how to hold the reservation and that's really the most important part of the reservation, the holding. Anybody can just take them."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7uvttu8ct0