Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 975820 times)

AnnaT

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #4845 on: October 14, 2013, 07:29:53 PM »
A certain car rental place. We had reserved a car for the weekend and DH was supposed to pick it up at 11am. Except, they didn't have any for the 8 people who had reservations. It is a holiday weekend here so all rental cars are spoken for.  They arg now saying they may have cars by 4.   ::)

This so brought to mind the Seinfeld episode on reservations (I never actually watched the show but due to its popularity, I actually know a lot of its plot lines - this scene though is priceless!). 

"Agent: I'm sorry, we have no mid-size available at the moment.
Jerry: I don't understand, I made a reservation, do you have my reservation?
Agent: Yes, we do, unfortunately we ran out of cars.
Jerry: But the reservation keeps the car here. That's why you have the reservation.
Agent: I know why we have reservations.
Jerry: I don't think you do. If you did, I'd have a car. See, you know how to take the reservation, you just don't know how to hold the reservation and that's really the most important part of the reservation, the holding. Anybody can just take them."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7uvttu8ct0

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #4846 on: October 14, 2013, 07:36:48 PM »
A certain car rental place. We had reserved a car for the weekend and DH was supposed to pick it up at 11am. Except, they didn't have any for the 8 people who had reservations. It is a holiday weekend here so all rental cars are spoken for.  They arg now saying they may have cars by 4.   ::)

This so brought to mind the Seinfeld episode on reservations (I never actually watched the show but due to its popularity, I actually know a lot of its plot lines - this scene though is priceless!). 

"Agent: I'm sorry, we have no mid-size available at the moment.
Jerry: I don't understand, I made a reservation, do you have my reservation?
Agent: Yes, we do, unfortunately we ran out of cars.
Jerry: But the reservation keeps the car here. That's why you have the reservation.
Agent: I know why we have reservations.
Jerry: I don't think you do. If you did, I'd have a car. See, you know how to take the reservation, you just don't know how to hold the reservation and that's really the most important part of the reservation, the holding. Anybody can just take them."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7uvttu8ct0

I feel that way every time I have to get a truck from U-Haul. Sure, make a reservation on line. But oh by the way it's first come first serve. So don't bother with the reservation? No, no, you should make a reservation, but that doesn't guarantee a truck. What does guarantee a truck? Coming down and getting it. But not the reservation? No, not the reservation. What does the reservation do? Well, you should make a reservation. Last time we had to move we just hired movers. Odd thing, we booked them to come at 10 am. And then they came. At 10 am. With a truck. Weird business practice. (actually they were early but they called us to see if they could come early)

Imagine if restaurants adopted this policy. You must make a reservation, however it is completely meaningless and we just hand out the tables as people walk in. But you still need a reservation. That will mean nothing.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4847 on: October 14, 2013, 08:05:32 PM »
Funny thing is that Bob Evans, while they do not take official reservations, they will still honor them.  I called recently asking if they did reservations.  The woman said "No, not officially but we will take down your name and time and try to hold a table for you."

So I made the "reservation" and even though it was unofficial they did still honor it, which I thought was very nice of them since it was for a large party.   

So if they can honor it with a policy of "We don't do reservations" than a place that does do them ought to honor them.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #4848 on: October 14, 2013, 08:12:42 PM »
Funny thing is that Bob Evans, while they do not take official reservations, they will still honor them.  I called recently asking if they did reservations.  The woman said "No, not officially but we will take down your name and time and try to hold a table for you."

So I made the "reservation" and even though it was unofficial they did still honor it, which I thought was very nice of them since it was for a large party.   

So if they can honor it with a policy of "We don't do reservations" than a place that does do them ought to honor them.

I can see the appeal of doing it this way for large groups - the restaurant hates making you wait while they scramble to push together tables, too.  So by taking an "unofficial reservation," they aren't promising anything but they can still try to do what they can to ensure that if and when you show up at the time you said you would, they'd have an easier time getting your tables ready.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
« Reply #4849 on: October 14, 2013, 08:16:04 PM »

I'm sure they would much prefer to know ahead of time about large parties, even if they don't take official reservations.

When DH was in the AF reserves, his unit had to travel on their duty weekends to get to where the planes were, leaving about 4 am.  About 5:30-6 am they would stop at a Denny's for breakfast.  DH would call a few days ahead to warn them that they would be there, because 60 customers without warning at that time on a Saturday morning would have meant that the restaurant was seriously understaffed.  With warning, they could have extra staff on hand.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #4850 on: October 14, 2013, 08:56:41 PM »
VorGuy will have me call ahead of time to a pizza buffet (if you are trying to feed a bus or two of teenagers quickly - buffets are the best way to go) to arrange the price for the group (and make sure that the bus driver is "free" - the usual perk around the USA for bus drivers - sometimes one or both of the teachers will be "free" as well, as I find out what the group rate is).

Then he has me call when they are about twenty minutes away, to make sure that they know that tables need to be cleared, dispensers of glasses & straws filled, and clean plates & forks put out - if they haven't done it lately (or if they are really busy, some places will start handing out paper plates and disposable cups - say they have four school groups coming in at overlapping times due to an event in the area).  They also have time to slide extra pizzas in the oven and set up a few - just in case the hungry horde eats the buffet as bare as a cloud of locusts can eat a field). 

He comes in, pays, the horde goes through at least twice - three times if the stop is long enough and then back on the bus to get back on the road to the next location (the school for pickup, hotels if they are on an overnight trip, or whatever).   No tables are dragged together - 40 people (a bus load) is really too many for that.  But enough pizzas for 40 people walking in at once -you need to have them ready or there will be NO food on the buffet and hungry looking people standing around, not a good thing.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #4851 on: October 15, 2013, 12:11:32 AM »
My aunt got Verizon, DirectTV, ATT, and Ford to defer bills.  ATT actually offered to simply defer until 30 days after the shutdown ended which was nice.  Verizon is not charging us a late fee.  DirectTV is also not charging a late fee.  I'm not sure about Ford.

I'm also unimpressed with your credit union.  That is crazy that they won't defer the visa bill.

I'm not impressed with that credit union, either.  One bank where we have an account that caters to people in the military sent out letters saying that they would work with their customers so that they could pay bills and take care of groceries, rent, etc. during this time.  Some of it is deferral, some is no-interest loans with long payback times, but all they ask is that the customer call them and set something up. 

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #4852 on: October 15, 2013, 07:45:06 AM »
TGI Fridays.

not so much that i refuse to go back. More I can't because of the way they run things.

they do not take reservations. at. all. we went for a hen party and there were 15 of us. two girls got there at 6 to ask for a table and we were told an hour and a half wait. thats fine as every one was told to get there at 7 because they knew there would be a wait the Manager suggested we get one or to people there early to request a table for the group with the rest joining us later. At 8:45 we finally sat down. Thats nearly 3 hours.
I would love to go back (I was driving so could not have any cocktails.) but no one is willing to wait that long and the one couple who might be up for it can't because He is diabetic and so can't sit around waiting for that long.

Their vegetarian/vegan options are also shockingly bad, so the other person who might come with me can't.

The thing that really makes me annoyed (rather than merely disappointed.) once sitting and having your meal any drinks you order from the wait staff means an automatic 10% is added to your bill. Even asking for water adds it on. In this case they shoot themselves in the foot. They want to charge me 10% for tap water, well the 15% tip I was going to give you is now not happening. you have your tip.
“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4853 on: October 15, 2013, 08:34:43 AM »
An update on my credit union - I left a note on their Facebook page after I posted here and someone responded within a few hours to apologize and ask if they could call us first thing Monday, which they did. The rep said they're taking fed. employees on a case by case basis and if we can't make the payment next month they would, of course, waive the late fee and work with us. So that's good, but I'm still not impressed that I had to resort to social media shaming to get help.

magicdomino

« Reply #4854 on: October 15, 2013, 11:31:56 AM »
Some businesses are requiring letters from the supervisors of federal employees confirming that the employee is furloughed -- we received a template that the supervisors can use.  If your supervisor is also furloughed, you move up the chain of command.

Department of Justice credit union is offering loans with 0 interest for one or two months, and low interest for six months to its members.   

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #4855 on: October 15, 2013, 11:39:14 AM »
TGI Fridays.

not so much that i refuse to go back. More I can't because of the way they run things.

they do not take reservations. at. all. we went for a hen party and there were 15 of us. two girls got there at 6 to ask for a table and we were told an hour and a half wait. thats fine as every one was told to get there at 7 because they knew there would be a wait the Manager suggested we get one or to people there early to request a table for the group with the rest joining us later. At 8:45 we finally sat down. Thats nearly 3 hours.
I would love to go back (I was driving so could not have any cocktails.) but no one is willing to wait that long and the one couple who might be up for it can't because He is diabetic and so can't sit around waiting for that long.

Their vegetarian/vegan options are also shockingly bad, so the other person who might come with me can't.

The thing that really makes me annoyed (rather than merely disappointed.) once sitting and having your meal any drinks you order from the wait staff means an automatic 10% is added to your bill. Even asking for water adds it on. In this case they shoot themselves in the foot. They want to charge me 10% for tap water, well the 15% tip I was going to give you is now not happening. you have your tip.

The 10% is usually for large parties, not smaller parties. At least the last few times I was there (which was a few years ago, they shut down the ones closet to me), I didn't have an automatic 10%. But I know a lot of restaurants have the practice of automatically add X amount of tip to a bill is your party is over X amount. I would also say your lager party was probably a big part of the wait time. Especially if you were there on a Friday/Saturday night when they were already busy with other people.

I do agree however, if you call ahead and say "We have a party of 15 coming in", maybe that reservation rule should be changed. Cause ya know, 15 people is going to be a lot of work, and one server probably won't be able to handle it themselves, so you'll want to make sure there is adequate staff on, tables will have to be put together, so on and so forth. I had to have this argument with a local restaurant once. We had a party of 27. They didn't want to take reservations until I said, we have a party of 27 individual people, sure you don't want to write this down?

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #4856 on: October 15, 2013, 11:45:59 AM »
Similar situation. I have a group of at least 15 people going to lunch on a Friday. I called Olive Garden and was told they do not take reservations for Fridays at any time. I replied that they had just two months ago, as we alternate restaurants every month. She had to consult with the manager to make the reservation.

We will not just show up somewhere without at least calling ahead as that is a lot of people!

Goosey

« Reply #4857 on: October 15, 2013, 11:55:20 AM »
Went to Applebee's for lunch.

The food was incredibly salty - so much so that I didn't take more than a couple bites of my meal.

Manager came by to ask how everything was and I mentioned the incredibly salty food, he said that "most people like it that way." Really? Because my lips dried out like the sahara when I took a bite. And it's not like I'm snooty or anything, I go to chains a lot so I'm used to that standard of food, but there was a lot more salt on this than anything I'd had before. It was gross.

Couldn't eat my food, still paid full price.

On top of that, the same manager was loudly berating his employees in front of patrons. I HATE that. If it's bad enough to yell about, it's bad enough to take them in the back to do it.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #4858 on: October 15, 2013, 02:04:39 PM »
Went to Applebee's for lunch.

The food was incredibly salty - so much so that I didn't take more than a couple bites of my meal.

Manager came by to ask how everything was and I mentioned the incredibly salty food, he said that "most people like it that way." Really? Because my lips dried out like the sahara when I took a bite. And it's not like I'm snooty or anything, I go to chains a lot so I'm used to that standard of food, but there was a lot more salt on this than anything I'd had before. It was gross.

Couldn't eat my food, still paid full price.

On top of that, the same manager was loudly berating his employees in front of patrons. I HATE that. If it's bad enough to yell about, it's bad enough to take them in the back to do it.

I think corporate needs to hear about that location. 
My Photography Gallery
http://www.ctartisticphotos.com/

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4859 on: October 15, 2013, 03:25:36 PM »
As of 2 days ago, I have stopped using Walgreens for everything.

About a year ago, DH uploaded a photo to be printed at the location closest to us. The guy at the counter tried to refuse him printing it because he said it looked professional and DH would need to provide a waiver from the photographer. DH stated that there was no watermarks or copyright on the photo and the manager got involved and had the photo printed.

Six weeks ago, I uploaded 2 photos to be printed. When I arrived, the photo manager stated he had printed them but wouldn't give them to me without a signed waiver from the photographer. Again, no trademark or watermarks. He stated that "too him, they looked professional" so demanded a waiver. I asked how he would confirm any waiver I showed him was for the photos in question? And what in the photo prompted him to believe the snapshot was done by anyone other than me? He couldn't answer either but still refused. I told him to keep the prints. I sent them to CVS and picked them up an hour later.

I wrote a complaint via Walgreens online system that same afternoon. The complaint provided details on the store, the issue, and the date and time. I didn't hear back from anyone.

Four weeks ago I received a survey from Walgreens asking about the experience I received from using their online comment system. I completed the survey saying I received no acknowledgement of my complaint.

Cleaning out my inbox this weekend, I saw the survey request and decided that if they couldn't even respond to my negative survey, then they really don't need my business at all. The CVS near me is just as easy to get to as the Walgreens.