Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1186770 times)

Erich L-ster

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #4830 on: October 12, 2013, 02:51:41 PM »
:o  What if the door had not been locked?  Would they have just walked right in? 

I would consider that to be very offensive and unfortunately not a safe situation for the child or her mother.  There are people who would use a weapon if someone were trying to break into their house and twisting the knob, much less actually opening the door, seems way too much like someone breaking into the house!

There could also be a dog inside who would bite strangers walking into his home. Of course a dog must always be in control out in public but inside his own home against people breaking in?

BeautifulDisaster

« Reply #4831 on: October 12, 2013, 03:46:39 PM »
:o  What if the door had not been locked?  Would they have just walked right in? 

I would consider that to be very offensive and unfortunately not a safe situation for the child or her mother.  There are people who would use a weapon if someone were trying to break into their house and twisting the knob, much less actually opening the door, seems way too much like someone breaking into the house!

There could also be a dog inside who would bite strangers walking into his home. Of course a dog must always be in control out in public but inside his own home against people breaking in?

My mother in laws dog bit a child who just wandered into her house. Child was old enough to know better. Poor dog had to spend 10 days at the city pound in quarentine and developed kennel cough. Which equaled vet bills for MIL. Nothing happened to the boy for essentially breaking into someones home because he had 'suffered enough'.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4832 on: October 12, 2013, 04:34:19 PM »
This shutdown is causing me to reevaluate where I do business. DH and I will be able to pay our bills this month but not next month (fingers crossed it won't go on that long!!) so I've been making calls to see what to do, should it come to that.

Verizon will let us defer payment for a month without shutting off service but still charge a $5 late fee. I realize that $5 is a really low late fee and under any other circumstance I'd be thankful for it, but you multiply that by however many federal employees they have and it makes me wonder how much they'll profit.

My credit union won't help us out at all. They said if we don't make our visa payment they'll charge us a $30 late fee and report it on our credit. DH has been with this credit union for over 25 years and his parents much longer than that. Between our visa, various signature loans when we were starting out, all the cars we've purchased, etc. we've been sending money their way every month for 20 years. I'm so incredibly unimpressed right now.

I was going to call a few other places like State Farm and Honda but I'm so bummed now that I don't even want to ask. I know that these are businesses and nobody owes us a break, but still, it's not like we're all in this position because we were irresponsible.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #4833 on: October 12, 2013, 11:09:46 PM »
My aunt got Verizon, DirectTV, ATT, and Ford to defer bills.  ATT actually offered to simply defer until 30 days after the shutdown ended which was nice.  Verizon is not charging us a late fee.  DirectTV is also not charging a late fee.  I'm not sure about Ford.

I'm also unimpressed with your credit union.  That is crazy that they won't defer the visa bill. 

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4834 on: October 13, 2013, 09:15:45 AM »
My aunt got Verizon, DirectTV, ATT, and Ford to defer bills.  ATT actually offered to simply defer until 30 days after the shutdown ended which was nice.  Verizon is not charging us a late fee.  DirectTV is also not charging a late fee.  I'm not sure about Ford.

I'm also unimpressed with your credit union.  That is crazy that they won't defer the visa bill.

That's good to know about Verizon, if it comes to that I'll ask again. I remember saying "There's a late fee?" but I don't think I specifically asked them to waive it since I was just getting info and not setting up a deferment. I assumed she'd tell me if they were waiving the fee for us but you know what they say about assuming.  ;)

We were considering switching to AT&T because they have better service in our new location and they offer cable there as well, so bundling would be nice. Hearing how they plan to help during the shutdown is very impressive! We're actually mid-transfer right now and staying in temporary quarters so thankfully my cable, internet and utilities are already shut off and I won't have those bills next month.

mmswm

« Reply #4835 on: October 13, 2013, 02:08:52 PM »
This shutdown is causing me to reevaluate where I do business. DH and I will be able to pay our bills this month but not next month (fingers crossed it won't go on that long!!) so I've been making calls to see what to do, should it come to that.

Verizon will let us defer payment for a month without shutting off service but still charge a $5 late fee. I realize that $5 is a really low late fee and under any other circumstance I'd be thankful for it, but you multiply that by however many federal employees they have and it makes me wonder how much they'll profit.

My credit union won't help us out at all. They said if we don't make our visa payment they'll charge us a $30 late fee and report it on our credit. DH has been with this credit union for over 25 years and his parents much longer than that. Between our visa, various signature loans when we were starting out, all the cars we've purchased, etc. we've been sending money their way every month for 20 years. I'm so incredibly unimpressed right now.

I was going to call a few other places like State Farm and Honda but I'm so bummed now that I don't even want to ask. I know that these are businesses and nobody owes us a break, but still, it's not like we're all in this position because we were irresponsible.

I no longer use a certain bank because of something similar.  I had a habit of paying my credit card bill at the actual branch a few days before the due date. A hurricane came through, knocking out power for several days at the branch location and for several weeks at my house.  I called and asked if they could waive the late fee due to the act of nature closing my branch keeping me from making the payment on time (they finally got power back the day after the due date).  They told me they would do so, but when I looked, they hadn't.  Not only that, but the added late fee made me go over my limit, so they added an over limit fee as well.  They then said they never promised to waive the late fee.  Then they told me I should have just driven to another branch (where? I couldn't leave the property and there was heavy debris in the road preventing movement for a few days...it wasn't that I didn't WANT to pay it, it was that I couldn't.  I only had cash since I hadn't been able to get to the bank to deposit my paycheck before the storm). I borrowed money from my parents to pay off the entire balance (it was an emergency card and only had a $300 limit, and I'd just used it for car repairs), except for the two fees I contested.  It took over a year, but they finally took care of the fees and repaired the damage to my credit. I will never, ever have anything to do with that bank again.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

wheeitsme

« Reply #4836 on: October 14, 2013, 12:38:50 PM »

My guess?  Verizon probably won't profit that much, if at all.  If a family's phone bill runs $100, that's a 5% late fee.  Combine however many federal employee's bills, and that is that much money that they don't have out there paying the company's bills and making more money.  They might break even, but there's a chance they might lose some profit.

AnnaT

« Reply #4837 on: October 14, 2013, 07:29:53 PM »
A certain car rental place. We had reserved a car for the weekend and DH was supposed to pick it up at 11am. Except, they didn't have any for the 8 people who had reservations. It is a holiday weekend here so all rental cars are spoken for.  They arg now saying they may have cars by 4.   ::)

This so brought to mind the Seinfeld episode on reservations (I never actually watched the show but due to its popularity, I actually know a lot of its plot lines - this scene though is priceless!). 

"Agent: I'm sorry, we have no mid-size available at the moment.
Jerry: I don't understand, I made a reservation, do you have my reservation?
Agent: Yes, we do, unfortunately we ran out of cars.
Jerry: But the reservation keeps the car here. That's why you have the reservation.
Agent: I know why we have reservations.
Jerry: I don't think you do. If you did, I'd have a car. See, you know how to take the reservation, you just don't know how to hold the reservation and that's really the most important part of the reservation, the holding. Anybody can just take them."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7uvttu8ct0

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #4838 on: October 14, 2013, 07:36:48 PM »
A certain car rental place. We had reserved a car for the weekend and DH was supposed to pick it up at 11am. Except, they didn't have any for the 8 people who had reservations. It is a holiday weekend here so all rental cars are spoken for.  They arg now saying they may have cars by 4.   ::)

This so brought to mind the Seinfeld episode on reservations (I never actually watched the show but due to its popularity, I actually know a lot of its plot lines - this scene though is priceless!). 

"Agent: I'm sorry, we have no mid-size available at the moment.
Jerry: I don't understand, I made a reservation, do you have my reservation?
Agent: Yes, we do, unfortunately we ran out of cars.
Jerry: But the reservation keeps the car here. That's why you have the reservation.
Agent: I know why we have reservations.
Jerry: I don't think you do. If you did, I'd have a car. See, you know how to take the reservation, you just don't know how to hold the reservation and that's really the most important part of the reservation, the holding. Anybody can just take them."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7uvttu8ct0

I feel that way every time I have to get a truck from U-Haul. Sure, make a reservation on line. But oh by the way it's first come first serve. So don't bother with the reservation? No, no, you should make a reservation, but that doesn't guarantee a truck. What does guarantee a truck? Coming down and getting it. But not the reservation? No, not the reservation. What does the reservation do? Well, you should make a reservation. Last time we had to move we just hired movers. Odd thing, we booked them to come at 10 am. And then they came. At 10 am. With a truck. Weird business practice. (actually they were early but they called us to see if they could come early)

Imagine if restaurants adopted this policy. You must make a reservation, however it is completely meaningless and we just hand out the tables as people walk in. But you still need a reservation. That will mean nothing.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4839 on: October 14, 2013, 08:05:32 PM »
Funny thing is that Bob Evans, while they do not take official reservations, they will still honor them.  I called recently asking if they did reservations.  The woman said "No, not officially but we will take down your name and time and try to hold a table for you."

So I made the "reservation" and even though it was unofficial they did still honor it, which I thought was very nice of them since it was for a large party.   

So if they can honor it with a policy of "We don't do reservations" than a place that does do them ought to honor them.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #4840 on: October 14, 2013, 08:12:42 PM »
Funny thing is that Bob Evans, while they do not take official reservations, they will still honor them.  I called recently asking if they did reservations.  The woman said "No, not officially but we will take down your name and time and try to hold a table for you."

So I made the "reservation" and even though it was unofficial they did still honor it, which I thought was very nice of them since it was for a large party.   

So if they can honor it with a policy of "We don't do reservations" than a place that does do them ought to honor them.

I can see the appeal of doing it this way for large groups - the restaurant hates making you wait while they scramble to push together tables, too.  So by taking an "unofficial reservation," they aren't promising anything but they can still try to do what they can to ensure that if and when you show up at the time you said you would, they'd have an easier time getting your tables ready.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4841 on: October 14, 2013, 08:16:04 PM »

I'm sure they would much prefer to know ahead of time about large parties, even if they don't take official reservations.

When DH was in the AF reserves, his unit had to travel on their duty weekends to get to where the planes were, leaving about 4 am.  About 5:30-6 am they would stop at a Denny's for breakfast.  DH would call a few days ahead to warn them that they would be there, because 60 customers without warning at that time on a Saturday morning would have meant that the restaurant was seriously understaffed.  With warning, they could have extra staff on hand.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #4842 on: October 14, 2013, 08:56:41 PM »
VorGuy will have me call ahead of time to a pizza buffet (if you are trying to feed a bus or two of teenagers quickly - buffets are the best way to go) to arrange the price for the group (and make sure that the bus driver is "free" - the usual perk around the USA for bus drivers - sometimes one or both of the teachers will be "free" as well, as I find out what the group rate is).

Then he has me call when they are about twenty minutes away, to make sure that they know that tables need to be cleared, dispensers of glasses & straws filled, and clean plates & forks put out - if they haven't done it lately (or if they are really busy, some places will start handing out paper plates and disposable cups - say they have four school groups coming in at overlapping times due to an event in the area).  They also have time to slide extra pizzas in the oven and set up a few - just in case the hungry horde eats the buffet as bare as a cloud of locusts can eat a field). 

He comes in, pays, the horde goes through at least twice - three times if the stop is long enough and then back on the bus to get back on the road to the next location (the school for pickup, hotels if they are on an overnight trip, or whatever).   No tables are dragged together - 40 people (a bus load) is really too many for that.  But enough pizzas for 40 people walking in at once -you need to have them ready or there will be NO food on the buffet and hungry looking people standing around, not a good thing.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #4843 on: October 15, 2013, 12:11:32 AM »

I'm not impressed with that credit union, either.  One bank where we have an account that caters to people in the military sent out letters saying that they would work with their customers so that they could pay bills and take care of groceries, rent, etc. during this time.  Some of it is deferral, some is no-interest loans with long payback times, but all they ask is that the customer call them and set something up. 

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #4844 on: October 15, 2013, 07:45:06 AM »
TGI Fridays.

not so much that i refuse to go back. More I can't because of the way they run things.

they do not take reservations. at. all. we went for a hen party and there were 15 of us. two girls got there at 6 to ask for a table and we were told an hour and a half wait. thats fine as every one was told to get there at 7 because they knew there would be a wait the Manager suggested we get one or to people there early to request a table for the group with the rest joining us later. At 8:45 we finally sat down. Thats nearly 3 hours.
I would love to go back (I was driving so could not have any cocktails.) but no one is willing to wait that long and the one couple who might be up for it can't because He is diabetic and so can't sit around waiting for that long.

Their vegetarian/vegan options are also shockingly bad, so the other person who might come with me can't.

The thing that really makes me annoyed (rather than merely disappointed.) once sitting and having your meal any drinks you order from the wait staff means an automatic 10% is added to your bill. Even asking for water adds it on. In this case they shoot themselves in the foot. They want to charge me 10% for tap water, well the 15% tip I was going to give you is now not happening. you have your tip.
“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer