Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 975803 times)

EnoughAlready22

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #4965 on: October 24, 2013, 09:17:57 AM »
Napa Auto Parts.  At least the one near me.  I was calling around this morning to price a part for my car.  I had no problems at every other store I called.  So, I go through my spiel with Napa: "Hi, I need a price for a set of spark plug wires for a 1999 Honda Civic LX, manual transmission, 1.6L".  Now, you'd think if I can rattle that off, I might know what I'm talking about.  Every other store just gave me a price.  This guy tried to argue with me, telling me I HAD to buy new spark plugs.  Nope.  I don't.  I put in new spark plugs 12 hours ago.  Don't need to replace them again.  Then he tried to tell me I should replace the ignition coil, distributor cap and ignition rotor.  Okay, maybe, but I don't want to do that just yet.  Actually, I do plan on replacing them, but I've ordered the parts online where they're a quarter of the price. I just need my car to run well enough to get me to Key West and back. One of the spark plug wires keeps popping out.  New wires is the answer to that problem.  I got cranky and wired the darned thing down.  It'll hold for a couple hundred miles until the parts I ordered came in and I will never, ever consider Napa again because he thought that since I was a chick I didn't know what I was talking about. I HATE that.  I actually have a long list of auto related merchants that I won't go to over that very issue.

This drives me crazy!  That's why I will never go back to Firestone.  I took my car in for an inspection, and they tried to tell me I need a new tie rod.  Funny thing is the one they wanted to replace had just been replaced 2 days ago.  I asked them if they had even looked at it, cause they would have seen how nice and shiny new it was.  I even offered to show them the receipt in the glove box.  The guy started spouting off crazy stuff, so I just told him to bring my car back to me so I could take it to someone who knew what they were doing and would not try to rip me off.

mmswm

« Reply #4966 on: October 24, 2013, 09:43:59 AM »
Napa Auto Parts.  At least the one near me.  I was calling around this morning to price a part for my car.  I had no problems at every other store I called.  So, I go through my spiel with Napa: "Hi, I need a price for a set of spark plug wires for a 1999 Honda Civic LX, manual transmission, 1.6L".  Now, you'd think if I can rattle that off, I might know what I'm talking about.  Every other store just gave me a price.  This guy tried to argue with me, telling me I HAD to buy new spark plugs.  Nope.  I don't.  I put in new spark plugs 12 hours ago.  Don't need to replace them again.  Then he tried to tell me I should replace the ignition coil, distributor cap and ignition rotor.  Okay, maybe, but I don't want to do that just yet.  Actually, I do plan on replacing them, but I've ordered the parts online where they're a quarter of the price. I just need my car to run well enough to get me to Key West and back. One of the spark plug wires keeps popping out.  New wires is the answer to that problem.  I got cranky and wired the darned thing down.  It'll hold for a couple hundred miles until the parts I ordered came in and I will never, ever consider Napa again because he thought that since I was a chick I didn't know what I was talking about. I HATE that.  I actually have a long list of auto related merchants that I won't go to over that very issue.

This drives me crazy!  That's why I will never go back to Firestone.  I took my car in for an inspection, and they tried to tell me I need a new tie rod.  Funny thing is the one they wanted to replace had just been replaced 2 days ago.  I asked them if they had even looked at it, cause they would have seen how nice and shiny new it was.  I even offered to show them the receipt in the glove box.  The guy started spouting off crazy stuff, so I just told him to bring my car back to me so I could take it to someone who knew what they were doing and would not try to rip me off.

I tend to avoid mechanics entirely.  What I can't do, my dad either does or teaches me how to do (I prefer the latter).  There's very little my father's garage isn't equipped to handle, so pretty much the only thing I have to have somebody else do is replace tires and precision alignments.  The Autozone near me knows me by voice, and I never have any problems with them.  They tend to have the best prices on things, but I still like to call around. I might just stick with Autozone.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4967 on: October 24, 2013, 09:47:53 AM »
IME, for good service, it is worth paying just a little bit more.  And if you factor in the value of your time, the time you aren't wasting calling a bunch of other places makes up for any extra you have to pay.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #4968 on: October 24, 2013, 11:43:29 AM »
*The lady who inspects each item and has a story for at least one or two

This drives me absolute bats.  I actively avoid a grocery story close to us because one of the checkers who always seems to be on duty will talk about the purchases.  It's nothing malicious and it's not too nosey but it's terribly irritating.  Last time I picked up a tub of italian beef she felt compelled to tell me that I could just make that myself.  Sure I could but I'm choosing to patronize your establishment instead.  Please stop commenting on my groceries.

Then there was a creepy moment at the photo counter many years ago where the clerk handed the pictures back to me with a big smile and said, "You guys look like you were having a good time!"

No repeat business after that.

My smallish town has one really great grocery store in the center of town that we're insanely proud of. In fact, anytime I meet somebody from my town, we almost always end up talking about this grocery store. Inevitably somebody brings up "Kathy." Kathy who smiles like she's on some kind of drugs. Kathy who addresses people with a baby voice. Kathy who comments on every.single.item in your basket. We all have different levels of when we're willing to go through her checkout stand.

After I bought a piece of cake from their bakery (which is amazing) on Valentine's Day and she said "Aren't you brave buying cake by yourself today!" I refuse to wait in her line. I will stand in a much longer line and fake interest in gossip rags in order to avoid seeing her beckon me over to her stand.

She's been there virtually every single time I've gone in there over the last 3 years, day or night, and according to long time residents, she's been there at least 5 years before then. However, it's hard to complain about a cashier that's too enthusiastic and people with little children and the elderly seem to like her. Plus, if you're desperate for time, she usually has the shortest line in a store that doesn't have an express lane.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4969 on: October 24, 2013, 12:03:38 PM »
flickan wrote:

"Then there was a creepy moment at the photo counter many years ago where the clerk handed the pictures back to me with a big smile and said, "You guys look like you were having a good time!""

I wouldn't consider that overly creepy.  For photo processing machines, the final quality control is usually the operator looking over each photo so that they can verify that it printed cleanly and that it's properly colored, so having someone looking at the pictures is the norm.  That he remembered you from them is nothing special.  It could be that yours were the only one he ran recently or most of the orders were boring snapshots and so yours stood out, or maybe he just has a good memory.

Virg

flickan

« Reply #4970 on: October 24, 2013, 01:25:21 PM »
flickan wrote:

"Then there was a creepy moment at the photo counter many years ago where the clerk handed the pictures back to me with a big smile and said, "You guys look like you were having a good time!""

I wouldn't consider that overly creepy.  For photo processing machines, the final quality control is usually the operator looking over each photo so that they can verify that it printed cleanly and that it's properly colored, so having someone looking at the pictures is the norm.  That he remembered you from them is nothing special.  It could be that yours were the only one he ran recently or most of the orders were boring snapshots and so yours stood out, or maybe he just has a good memory.

Virg

I'm perfectly willing to chalk the explanation up to what you describe above as far as recognizing me.  And some just have a good eye for faces.  The reason I won't go back is because I felt that my expectation of anonymity had been violated.  The internet may have changed a lot in terms of privacy but when it was customary to drop photos off at a photo booth there was (and I strongly believe still is) a social norm of polite disinterest.  I'm aware that the people who process photos get a good look at everything, which is why the onus is on us not to drop off any inappropriate photography.  I just don't want to be reminded of that.   To me, that's as big a violation as a librarian making a pointed comment about my reading choices.

Even when privacy is not an option the facade of privacy is important.  That's just good customer service. 

cwm

« Reply #4971 on: October 24, 2013, 01:30:50 PM »
flickan wrote:

Virg

I'm perfectly willing to chalk the explanation up to what you describe above as far as recognizing me.  And some just have a good eye for faces.  The reason I won't go back is because I felt that my expectation of anonymity had been violated.  The internet may have changed a lot in terms of privacy but when it was customary to drop photos off at a photo booth there was (and I strongly believe still is) a social norm of polite disinterest.  I'm aware that the people who process photos get a good look at everything, which is why the onus is on us not to drop off any inappropriate photography.  I just don't want to be reminded of that.   To me, that's as big a violation as a librarian making a pointed comment about my reading choices.

Even when privacy is not an option the facade of privacy is important.  That's just good customer service.

Is anyone else flashing back to the movie One Hour Photo? No? Just me?

I would feel incredibly creeped out if someone commented on my photos that had just been developed. The only rare exception to this is if I knew the guy at the photo shop or had a friend develop my prints in their own private darkroom. I'm there for a service that I am physically unable to provide myself, I don't need commentary along with it.

nuit93

« Reply #4972 on: October 24, 2013, 02:40:20 PM »
flickan wrote:

Virg

Is anyone else flashing back to the movie One Hour Photo? No? Just me?

I would feel incredibly creeped out if someone commented on my photos that had just been developed. The only rare exception to this is if I knew the guy at the photo shop or had a friend develop my prints in their own private darkroom. I'm there for a service that I am physically unable to provide myself, I don't need commentary along with it.

I thought of that movie immediately :)

Redsoil

« Reply #4973 on: October 25, 2013, 08:27:15 AM »
A librarian commenting on your reading choices is a violation?  Hmm.  Back when I worked in the library (Sydney, so not a small town) it was considered good service!  A librarian who could assist you in accessing new material you were likely to enjoy was a valued service by many of our readers, and we had a lot of good comments on this aspect of our branches.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

flickan

« Reply #4974 on: October 25, 2013, 08:47:41 AM »
A librarian commenting on your reading choices is a violation?  Hmm.  Back when I worked in the library (Sydney, so not a small town) it was considered good service!  A librarian who could assist you in accessing new material you were likely to enjoy was a valued service by many of our readers, and we had a lot of good comments on this aspect of our branches.

I would feel incredibly uncomfortable to have a librarian comment on the books I was checking out.  Especially as I like to take out a lot of different kinds of nonfiction at once; pscyhology, historical and religious studies (many times at the same time)... stuff that I occasionally feel self-concious about. 

I think it's great if someone is able to ask a librarian for a recommendation and get a good recommendation.  I just don't want them taking it upon themselves to inspect what I'm taking out and try to figure out what I'm interested in.  I remember one time getting a couple of books on the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising and a book on sexual psychology and just praying the librarian wouldn't give me a questioning look about that combination.

Redsoil

« Reply #4975 on: October 25, 2013, 08:54:30 AM »
I do tend to think this may be a cultural difference between countries.  I've noticed that many posters in the US prefer not to have comments or interaction at all in many situations, whereas in Australia, it's very common and seen as friendly/useful. 
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

flickan

« Reply #4976 on: October 25, 2013, 09:36:09 AM »
I do tend to think this may be a cultural difference between countries.  I've noticed that many posters in the US prefer not to have comments or interaction at all in many situations, whereas in Australia, it's very common and seen as friendly/useful.

This is definitely the case.

I actually grew up in a place in the US which was renowned for it's friendly and engaging people, even by American standards.  But when we moved up north and to a much more urban enviornment I learned to regard excessively friendliness as instrusive and sometimes kind of scary.  I'm also an asocial introvert so that doesn't help things. 

I've come to regard polite disinterest as the pinacle of good customer service to the point that I found the UK a relief in terms of the way people interact.  Out in public everyone is a champion of minding their own business.

Having travelled and also having met people from all over I can vouch to say that Australians are the friendliest people on earth.  They are the most charming, the most engaging, the most genuine, and the most helpful.  So I suppose if I was asked about my reading habits in Sydney I would not find it so unsettling.  It's just outside the comfort zone of my day-to-day life here.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4977 on: October 25, 2013, 09:42:09 AM »
I librarians at my library are nice and never make comments, but I was still thrilled the day they put in a self checkout :-\.

Hillia

« Reply #4978 on: October 25, 2013, 09:49:55 AM »
I don't know...I kind of enjoy it when the librarian gives a quick, 'Oh, this book was really good' or 'I love this author'.  I remember once, I was checking out a Sherlock Holmes collection, and the slightly older gentleman checking me out said, 'Quick, Watson, the game is afoot!'  It tickled me so, I replied, 'Holmes, you astonish me!' and we both giggled. It was fun, just a little shared enjoyment of the stories.

Now I agree, there are things I don't want commented on, like any self help book that's on a personal level, or a history of Scrabble, or something similar, I don't really want to have a conversation, but as a general rule it wouldn't bother me if the librarian made a quick, positive comment on a book.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Morrigan

• Requests from the Reference Desk
« Reply #4979 on: October 25, 2013, 10:24:48 AM »

I would feel incredibly uncomfortable to have a librarian comment on the books I was checking out.  Especially as I like to take out a lot of different kinds of nonfiction at once; pscyhology, historical and religious studies (many times at the same time)... stuff that I occasionally feel self-concious about. 

I think it's great if someone is able to ask a librarian for a recommendation and get a good recommendation.  I just don't want them taking it upon themselves to inspect what I'm taking out and try to figure out what I'm interested in.  I remember one time getting a couple of books on the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising and a book on sexual psychology and just praying the librarian wouldn't give me a questioning look about that combination.

Re: the bolded

I'm a reference librarian, constantly dealing with the NF section.  If you had asked for any of these types of books, not only would I help you find the ones that we have (or have to order), but I'd also have suggestions of my own.  Certain authors, related subjects etc that I personally find interesting.  Seeing as I tend to read NF over fiction (I do have favorite fiction authors, but most of what I read is NF), I'm usually full of suggestions.

That combination?  I personally wouldn't blink.  I would probably ask a few questions, but the combination?  Nope.  Wouldn't bother me one bit.  Of course, I just checked out the new Elizabeth Smart biography, a book on Nazi Doctors, the new Mormon biography (The Witness Wore Red) and a few others.  So, nope, wouldn't bother this librarian in the least.