Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1094364 times)

mmswm

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5070 on: November 07, 2013, 04:51:17 PM »
I have a short list of features I look for in a car:

-Manual Transmission
-Power locks and windows
-A/C
-Cup holder big enough to fit my coffee mug.

Last time I went shopping for a car, I brought the mug with me.  It got a few chuckles.  I also had the experience of salesmen and sellers talking to my father instead of me. 
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

nuit93

« Reply #5071 on: November 07, 2013, 05:06:53 PM »
I have a short list of features I look for in a car:

-Manual Transmission
-Power locks and windows
-A/C
-Cup holder big enough to fit my coffee mug.

Last time I went shopping for a car, I brought the mug with me.  It got a few chuckles.  I also had the experience of salesmen and sellers talking to my father instead of me.

From what I observed buying my car last year, the A/C is pretty standard.  Same with power locks/windows.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5072 on: November 07, 2013, 06:43:57 PM »
Just got back from the dealership after getting my snow tires installed.  So far so good.  I'd asked them to touch up a couple of dings I got in the roof due to an open sunroof, a styrofoam ball attached to the ceiling for garage positioning for the old car and a menopause moment when I went to leave the garage.  I also needed to get the auto lights sensor adjusted because the lights weren't coming on when I needed them to.

I expected the tire installation to be free because I'd purchased the tires there.  But I did expect to pay for the touch-up and they gave me two little tubes of the touch-up paint in case I have any more little mishaps.  No charge.  And then the mechanic hopped in the passenger seat with me and talked me through how to adjust the sensor myself so that if I didn't like how sensitive it was, I'd know how to change it back again.

So far, so good.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

redsfan

« Reply #5073 on: November 08, 2013, 12:22:27 AM »
I went to a computer store to get a printer.  I wandered for a bit, and the salesman finally noticed me.  He said, "Can I help you?"  As I started to say, "I need a printer with-" he cut me off to greet a male.  I'm a female.  I waited for him to finish his conversation, and he did help me after that.  I brought the printer, but I wasn't excited about it.  This was last week.

Went back today looking for a cable.  Different salesman.  Same flipping thing.  Another woman was standing nearby, looking at things like she needed something, but no one offered to help her. 

I took the printer back.  Never again.  Silly me, I didn't know I needed "equipment" to have value as a customer.  I know these guys work on commission too, so I don't get it.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #5074 on: November 08, 2013, 02:15:56 AM »
And I keep getting calls from this salesman. Part of me wants to call the dealership manager and tell him my experience. This was a young salesman (admitted he'd only been on the job for 3 months.) I wouldn't be calling to complain, per se, but to give him a heads up that this young guy needs more training and mentoring. He's not going to succeed unless he gets it and he might just be a great salesman one day if properly trained.

This story reminded me of why we didn't buy from one dealership, in kind of an 'opposites' way.

My wife had never bought a new car before.  Most of the cars she has had she bought badly used and then rebuilt/restored.  But she decided a brand new car would be fun to own once, so she researched what she wanted and narrowed it down to a few different make/model she was interested in checking out. 

One of them was a Honda, so we went on down to the local Honda dealership to check out the one she was interested in looking at and we got a new salesman.  And he was awesome.  Listened to everything she said about what she was looking for, showed her the exact model and then his manager stepped in.  Sent the new salesman away, decided my wife needed a sedan, only talked to me until I told him he needed to be talking to her.

He completely lost the sale.

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
« Reply #5075 on: November 08, 2013, 08:07:30 AM »
That's just plain stupid. Was he being paid under the table to sabotage the dealership, or something?

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

o_gal

« Reply #5076 on: November 08, 2013, 08:09:36 AM »
This was a young salesman (admitted he'd only been on the job for 3 months.) I wouldn't be calling to complain, per se, but to give him a heads up that this young guy needs more training and mentoring.

Sometimes it's the older salesmen who need a refresher. When I bought my car, the first salesman (who was an older guy in his 50's) was so bad it was actually funny. First, on the test drive, he didn't want to talk about the car, he only wanted to talk about how he had become a salesman and what all he had gone through to be one. At the time I thought it was odd but maybe it was some sales technique to make you feel all chummy or something with your salesman. Next, even when we were back at the lot and my DH was also talking with him, he didn't want to talk about any of the features of the car. He just wanted to talk about how great the dealership was and what kind of deals I could get. Finally, I had noticed that while all the cars on the lot were in silver and metallic bronze color, the brochure showed 2 other really cool looking colors and I asked about them. He described them and I really wanted to see what they looked like, so he suggested that I just stop by another dealer to see if they had any before returning to buy the car through him. Then when writing down details about what I might want (they were going to have to bring in a car from another dealership), he said "So, you want either the silver and bronze metallic".

We walked out without committing to anything, and I then did the deal through an online service, which was routed to another salesman at the dealership. He looked up records and found that I had already dealt with salesman #1 and did I want to continue with him? I told him no and exactly why. Salesman #2 said that I was not the first to walk out on salesman #1 and work with another salesman. I wonder just how the guy was keeping his job.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5077 on: November 08, 2013, 08:51:05 AM »
I went to a computer store to get a printer.  I wandered for a bit, and the salesman finally noticed me.  He said, "Can I help you?"  As I started to say, "I need a printer with-" he cut me off to greet a male.  I'm a female.  I waited for him to finish his conversation, and he did help me after that.  I brought the printer, but I wasn't excited about it.  This was last week.

Went back today looking for a cable.  Different salesman.  Same flipping thing.  Another woman was standing nearby, looking at things like she needed something, but no one offered to help her. 

I took the printer back.  Never again.  Silly me, I didn't know I needed "equipment" to have value as a customer.  I know these guys work on commission too, so I don't get it.

When my TV died, I wasn't sure whether or not the DVR was dead, too, so I took it with me.  I got this kid who was AWESOME.  He hooked up my DVR to determine that I needed an HDMI cable because the coaxial output was fried but that the DVR still worked.  I told him what I wanted in a TV and he didn't steer me to the latest and greatest, enormous one - he directed me to a decent name brand one in the size I wanted.  $400 for the TV, $20 for a 2 pack of HDMI cables and out the door in about 30 minutes.

zyrs, your wife's experience was appalling.  I'd have told the manager that if he wanted any hope of a sale, he'd give me back the salesman I was working with.  And I'd call the owner of the dealership.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5078 on: November 08, 2013, 09:32:43 AM »

Good for you. I myself don't know much about electronics, and stuff like that, but...I try and do my homework so when I do go in, I generally have a pretty good idea of exactly waht I want. Or, i order online for in-store pick up.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #5079 on: November 08, 2013, 10:03:00 AM »

We went to an electronic's store one day because Partner needed something or other. This place is massive and we can't figure out where what we want is so we ask a sales guy, who very helpfully shows us over to what we need. Partner thanks him and he starts asking her what she needs it for. Now, I've seen this before and pretty much expect that to launch into the techy speak and get all excited. Nope. Partner tells him, and he starts explaining to her how to do what she wants to do in the most condescending tone. Mind you, she didn't ask. She knows what she's doing. He even said "You know the computer won't work if it's not plugged in, right?", Partner is a programmer. Partner has been taking apart, rebuilding, upgrading, and fixing computers since she was a teenager. She knows a thing or two about a thing or two.

I'm still not clear on exactly what she told him because it involved a lot of tech speak and I kind of zoned out, but he was hanging his head by the end of it and muttering an apology.

cwm

« Reply #5080 on: November 08, 2013, 10:23:48 AM »
In electronics stores, I've had the exact opposite situation. I can't get people to leave me alone long enough to look. I was looking at some DSLRs last spring when I was starting to look closely at them. I just wanted to compare the features and such, but I had a sales guy come over. He noticed the glazed look in BF's eyes and how I was down checking the lenses and specs, and we had a nice long conversation about the nitty gritty differences between cameras. BF wandered off to look at movies and I got more answers than I would have been able to find by just looking on my own. I've never had a bad experience at any store in that chain.

MicroCenter on the other hand, seems to actively not want my business. Every time I go in there to browse or buy, the salespeople go out of their way to ignore me. At one point I had plans to build my own computer and buy all the parts there, but I changed my mind quickly when I realized that they don't care about my business. I still have to stop by from time to time to pick up small bits and bobs, tools that aren't carried elsewhere, but I try to avoid it.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #5081 on: November 08, 2013, 10:57:32 AM »
In electronics stores, I've had the exact opposite situation. I can't get people to leave me alone long enough to look. I was looking at some DSLRs last spring when I was starting to look closely at them. I just wanted to compare the features and such, but I had a sales guy come over. He noticed the glazed look in BF's eyes and how I was down checking the lenses and specs, and we had a nice long conversation about the nitty gritty differences between cameras. BF wandered off to look at movies and I got more answers than I would have been able to find by just looking on my own. I've never had a bad experience at any store in that chain.

MicroCenter on the other hand, seems to actively not want my business. Every time I go in there to browse or buy, the salespeople go out of their way to ignore me. At one point I had plans to build my own computer and buy all the parts there, but I changed my mind quickly when I realized that they don't care about my business. I still have to stop by from time to time to pick up small bits and bobs, tools that aren't carried elsewhere, but I try to avoid it.

That's odd.  The MicroCenter in SE PA is the best computer store I've visited in over a decade.  While it's true the salespeople don't insert rectally and take up residence the moment the door opens, I've never had one ignore me if I actually approach them.  Generally, they have the perfect attitude for salespeople, IMO: stay out of the customer's way, unless the customer initiates contact.  Asking "can I help you?" is the quickest way to ensure you won't be.

earthgirl

« Reply #5082 on: November 08, 2013, 11:24:41 AM »
^ Honestly, other than the way he talked down to you, I don't see much problem. All of his recommendations were valid. I do think the comment about your mechanic, she, has been consulted was great! I hope you told him you were taking care of the lights yourself, by the way.

My dream is to go to the repair shop alone, because Lucas stereotypically takes care of these things, and say, "Ooo! I must talk to my daddy about that!" (I'm 68, a pretty much look it.  >:D)

This was the other thing that I liked about the dealership where I bought my latest vehicle.  I'm single, 45 and not once did the salesman say anything about my husband. 

A few years ago I was driving right after a thunderstorm, and as I drove past some trees with branches overhanging the road, one of them broke, swung down, and knocked off my driver's side mirror.  It was a total freak accident, and a few seconds or inches in any direction it could have been either a whole lot worse, or I would have escaped completely unscathed. 

I called the dealership to have it fixed, and the guy who answered the phone asked me what had happened, so I told him.  He snorted and said, "Does your boyfriend actually believe that story?"

I stammered a whole lot that that was actually what happened, but afterward was completely insulted by the rampant assumptions and stereotypes he was making.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #5083 on: November 08, 2013, 04:54:02 PM »
Diane I've had salespeople come up and ask "can I help you" when yes I do need help. I don't mind if they ask and are okay with "no thank you" and they then vanish with an "I'll be around if you do need help".

Iris

« Reply #5084 on: November 08, 2013, 05:05:59 PM »
Diane I've had salespeople come up and ask "can I help you" when yes I do need help. I don't mind if they ask and are okay with "no thank you" and they then vanish with an "I'll be around if you do need help".

You typed faster than I could :) My ideal salesperson asks "Can I help you?" and then accepts whatever answer I give them. That way they're there if I need them and not if I don't.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.