Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1185563 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5070 on: November 08, 2013, 08:51:05 AM »
I went to a computer store to get a printer.  I wandered for a bit, and the salesman finally noticed me.  He said, "Can I help you?"  As I started to say, "I need a printer with-" he cut me off to greet a male.  I'm a female.  I waited for him to finish his conversation, and he did help me after that.  I brought the printer, but I wasn't excited about it.  This was last week.

Went back today looking for a cable.  Different salesman.  Same flipping thing.  Another woman was standing nearby, looking at things like she needed something, but no one offered to help her. 

I took the printer back.  Never again.  Silly me, I didn't know I needed "equipment" to have value as a customer.  I know these guys work on commission too, so I don't get it.

When my TV died, I wasn't sure whether or not the DVR was dead, too, so I took it with me.  I got this kid who was AWESOME.  He hooked up my DVR to determine that I needed an HDMI cable because the coaxial output was fried but that the DVR still worked.  I told him what I wanted in a TV and he didn't steer me to the latest and greatest, enormous one - he directed me to a decent name brand one in the size I wanted.  $400 for the TV, $20 for a 2 pack of HDMI cables and out the door in about 30 minutes.

zyrs, your wife's experience was appalling.  I'd have told the manager that if he wanted any hope of a sale, he'd give me back the salesman I was working with.  And I'd call the owner of the dealership.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5071 on: November 08, 2013, 09:32:43 AM »
I went to a computer store to get a printer.  I wandered for a bit, and the salesman finally noticed me.  He said, "Can I help you?"  As I started to say, "I need a printer with-" he cut me off to greet a male.  I'm a female.  I waited for him to finish his conversation, and he did help me after that.  I brought the printer, but I wasn't excited about it.  This was last week.

Went back today looking for a cable.  Different salesman.  Same flipping thing.  Another woman was standing nearby, looking at things like she needed something, but no one offered to help her. 

I took the printer back.  Never again.  Silly me, I didn't know I needed "equipment" to have value as a customer.  I know these guys work on commission too, so I don't get it.

Good for you. I myself don't know much about electronics, and stuff like that, but...I try and do my homework so when I do go in, I generally have a pretty good idea of exactly waht I want. Or, i order online for in-store pick up.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #5072 on: November 08, 2013, 10:03:00 AM »

We went to an electronic's store one day because Partner needed something or other. This place is massive and we can't figure out where what we want is so we ask a sales guy, who very helpfully shows us over to what we need. Partner thanks him and he starts asking her what she needs it for. Now, I've seen this before and pretty much expect that to launch into the techy speak and get all excited. Nope. Partner tells him, and he starts explaining to her how to do what she wants to do in the most condescending tone. Mind you, she didn't ask. She knows what she's doing. He even said "You know the computer won't work if it's not plugged in, right?", Partner is a programmer. Partner has been taking apart, rebuilding, upgrading, and fixing computers since she was a teenager. She knows a thing or two about a thing or two.

I'm still not clear on exactly what she told him because it involved a lot of tech speak and I kind of zoned out, but he was hanging his head by the end of it and muttering an apology.

cwm

« Reply #5073 on: November 08, 2013, 10:23:48 AM »
In electronics stores, I've had the exact opposite situation. I can't get people to leave me alone long enough to look. I was looking at some DSLRs last spring when I was starting to look closely at them. I just wanted to compare the features and such, but I had a sales guy come over. He noticed the glazed look in BF's eyes and how I was down checking the lenses and specs, and we had a nice long conversation about the nitty gritty differences between cameras. BF wandered off to look at movies and I got more answers than I would have been able to find by just looking on my own. I've never had a bad experience at any store in that chain.

MicroCenter on the other hand, seems to actively not want my business. Every time I go in there to browse or buy, the salespeople go out of their way to ignore me. At one point I had plans to build my own computer and buy all the parts there, but I changed my mind quickly when I realized that they don't care about my business. I still have to stop by from time to time to pick up small bits and bobs, tools that aren't carried elsewhere, but I try to avoid it.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #5074 on: November 08, 2013, 10:57:32 AM »
In electronics stores, I've had the exact opposite situation. I can't get people to leave me alone long enough to look. I was looking at some DSLRs last spring when I was starting to look closely at them. I just wanted to compare the features and such, but I had a sales guy come over. He noticed the glazed look in BF's eyes and how I was down checking the lenses and specs, and we had a nice long conversation about the nitty gritty differences between cameras. BF wandered off to look at movies and I got more answers than I would have been able to find by just looking on my own. I've never had a bad experience at any store in that chain.

MicroCenter on the other hand, seems to actively not want my business. Every time I go in there to browse or buy, the salespeople go out of their way to ignore me. At one point I had plans to build my own computer and buy all the parts there, but I changed my mind quickly when I realized that they don't care about my business. I still have to stop by from time to time to pick up small bits and bobs, tools that aren't carried elsewhere, but I try to avoid it.

That's odd.  The MicroCenter in SE PA is the best computer store I've visited in over a decade.  While it's true the salespeople don't insert rectally and take up residence the moment the door opens, I've never had one ignore me if I actually approach them.  Generally, they have the perfect attitude for salespeople, IMO: stay out of the customer's way, unless the customer initiates contact.  Asking "can I help you?" is the quickest way to ensure you won't be.

earthgirl

« Reply #5075 on: November 08, 2013, 11:24:41 AM »
^ Honestly, other than the way he talked down to you, I don't see much problem. All of his recommendations were valid. I do think the comment about your mechanic, she, has been consulted was great! I hope you told him you were taking care of the lights yourself, by the way.

My dream is to go to the repair shop alone, because Lucas stereotypically takes care of these things, and say, "Ooo! I must talk to my daddy about that!" (I'm 68, a pretty much look it.  >:D)

This was the other thing that I liked about the dealership where I bought my latest vehicle.  I'm single, 45 and not once did the salesman say anything about my husband. 

A few years ago I was driving right after a thunderstorm, and as I drove past some trees with branches overhanging the road, one of them broke, swung down, and knocked off my driver's side mirror.  It was a total freak accident, and a few seconds or inches in any direction it could have been either a whole lot worse, or I would have escaped completely unscathed. 

I called the dealership to have it fixed, and the guy who answered the phone asked me what had happened, so I told him.  He snorted and said, "Does your boyfriend actually believe that story?"

I stammered a whole lot that that was actually what happened, but afterward was completely insulted by the rampant assumptions and stereotypes he was making.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #5076 on: November 08, 2013, 04:54:02 PM »
Diane I've had salespeople come up and ask "can I help you" when yes I do need help. I don't mind if they ask and are okay with "no thank you" and they then vanish with an "I'll be around if you do need help".

Iris

« Reply #5077 on: November 08, 2013, 05:05:59 PM »
Diane I've had salespeople come up and ask "can I help you" when yes I do need help. I don't mind if they ask and are okay with "no thank you" and they then vanish with an "I'll be around if you do need help".

You typed faster than I could :) My ideal salesperson asks "Can I help you?" and then accepts whatever answer I give them. That way they're there if I need them and not if I don't.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #5078 on: November 08, 2013, 05:21:30 PM »
I posted earlier about the dealership that tried to do a bait and switch on Sis and BIL. (they test drove a particular car, got a price, put down a down payment, left the car to be detailed. Went back to pick it up and they brought up a different car, same model but not same upgrade package. The dealership tried to strong arm them into buying the lesser car. Blocked the door of the office and wouldn't let them leave. Sis pulled out her phone and threatened to report them for false imprisonment. She filed a report with Texas's AG's office).

Turns out Sis and BIL got off easy. Another family went in, didn't buy a car, and the wife has been getting graphic texts from employees.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #5079 on: November 08, 2013, 05:24:47 PM »
HOLY COW!

I'm thinking that would be some great fodder for the local news shows.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

lilfox

« Reply #5080 on: November 08, 2013, 06:04:39 PM »
All the horrible car dealership/salespeople stories are making me even more grateful that my recent car buying experience went as smoothly as it did!

We went to five different dealers (five different makes) and only at one place did the salesman appear to favor talking to DH over me, though to be fair, DH was the one who had done the research and asked most of the questions at that dealership.  But at no point was I ignored or talked down to by any of them even when we didn't make it immediately clear that it was going to be MY car.  I wasn't really looking forward to the whole process, but it was actually quite pleasant and hassle free.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #5081 on: November 08, 2013, 09:31:48 PM »

You typed faster than I could :) My ideal salesperson asks "Can I help you?" and then accepts whatever answer I give them. That way they're there if I need them and not if I don't.

That's what's great about life, we all have our own preferences.  :)  I guess I want in-store shopping to be as close to online as I can get.  I'll hit F1 if I need help.  ;D

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #5082 on: November 09, 2013, 06:24:15 AM »
zyrs, your wife's experience was appalling.  I'd have told the manager that if he wanted any hope of a sale, he'd give me back the salesman I was working with.  And I'd call the owner of the dealership.

She decided to go with a different make and model.  She's very happy with the car she chose.

Jocelyn

« Reply #5083 on: November 10, 2013, 01:00:58 PM »
For decades, my parents had a clip-on vanity mirror that they moved from car to car. I don't remember the Oldsmobile it originally came on...but I do remember wondering why the Chevrolet had a mirror that had Oldsmobile engraved on it.  ::)
And I definitely remember my mother using it to make eye contact with us in the back seat while on long car trips. Scoldings delivered to the dashboard just aren't very effective.  ;D I wonder how many sibling spats could be resolved by making the kids aware that the non-driving parent is able to watch everything they're doing?

BeautifulDisaster

« Reply #5084 on: November 13, 2013, 05:42:23 PM »
O'Reilly's.

We typically go to Auto Zone for anything we need, so I went over this afternoon to get the battery (that was purchased 2.5 years ago w/ a 5 year warranty) in my truck tested as it's been acting like it doesn't want to start and with it freezing last night it just got worse so..time to do something about it before I get stranded. The guy comes out, we pop the hood and he tests the battery, while the machine is doing it's thing he notes the brand isn't one they sale, but he's pretty sure it's one that O'Reilly's carries. Huh, that's odd. He confirms the battery IS in fact bad and then confirms that O'Reilly's carries that particular brand. I call my husband and through our conversation figure out we DID get the battery from O'Reilly's (will never do that ever again) because he'd wanted to try that particular brand in the truck).

Okay. So off I go to O'Reilly's with a wave and a "Don't let them tell you the battery is good!" comment from the guy at Auto Zone. I get to O'Reilly's, they test the battery, yep it's bad. They look up DH's phone # and show that yes we purchased a battery from them in 2011 (same year the battery in the truck was purchased), but the model number doesn't match what's in the truck. Er...okay. Outside we go to double check the model number. We then look things up under my number and find nothing (not surprising). Guy tells me the model number in the system IS for my truck, but it doesn't match what's actually in the truck. I call my husband and put him on speaker, we go over everything. Entire time the O'Reilly's dude is being a jerk to me. Pushing that we need to just buy a new battery. DH is getting pissy with how I'm being spoken to and tells me to leave so I leave.

He tells me to drive back to Auto Zone and buy a brand new battery from them. Fine. I can o that. They're nicer to me anyways. So I drive allllll the way back to Auto Zone and the sales guy recognizes me (and the truck - after market exhaust makes it loud for what it is), says "You're back". I tell him what happened. He looks at me funny. Says the only place I could have bought the battery is there because the brand is an O'Reilly's brand and no one else carries it, but he'll get me taken care of. Look up my truck in the system, pick out a battery and wheel it out to put it in.

New battery nearly twice as big as old battery. Huh. Auto Zone dude and I determine that O'Reilly's SOLD us the correct battery but actually INSTALLED the incorrect battery (which might explain why it died so fast, maybe?). Get new one installed and I start the truck. It starts faster, truck sounds happier and I drive off, it has the amount of power it should have.

We'll see what the hubby has to say when he gets home, but we are NEVER going back to O'Reilly's, just on account of how I was treated.