Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1212421 times)

proudmama

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5085 on: November 13, 2013, 08:27:28 PM »
The bagel shop on my way to work. 

I recently started a new job and found a local bagel shop on my way in.  I stopped and waited in line, a few people in front of me, but it was moving quickly.  Just as I get to the front, the counter person turns away and starts making an order, completely ignoring me. 

He handed the order to someone that just came in.  He then turned to me and said 'what do you want?'  I asked why he helped someone when he had people waiting. 

His response:  'he's a regular customer, he gets the same thing each time.  I just make his order when he comes in.   I don't make him wait.  Gotta keep them happy.'

My response: 'I'm a first time customer, but I don't think I will become a regular.'

I found another place a little out of the way, with better bagels and better service. Now, I'm a regular customer there. 

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #5086 on: November 13, 2013, 10:27:16 PM »
O'Reilly's.

We typically go to Auto Zone for anything we need, so I went over this afternoon to get the battery (that was purchased 2.5 years ago w/ a 5 year warranty) in my truck tested as it's been acting like it doesn't want to start and with it freezing last night it just got worse so..time to do something about it before I get stranded. The guy comes out, we pop the hood and he tests the battery, while the machine is doing it's thing he notes the brand isn't one they sale, but he's pretty sure it's one that O'Reilly's carries. Huh, that's odd. He confirms the battery IS in fact bad and then confirms that O'Reilly's carries that particular brand. I call my husband and through our conversation figure out we DID get the battery from O'Reilly's (will never do that ever again) because he'd wanted to try that particular brand in the truck).

Okay. So off I go to O'Reilly's with a wave and a "Don't let them tell you the battery is good!" comment from the guy at Auto Zone. I get to O'Reilly's, they test the battery, yep it's bad. They look up DH's phone # and show that yes we purchased a battery from them in 2011 (same year the battery in the truck was purchased), but the model number doesn't match what's in the truck. Er...okay. Outside we go to double check the model number. We then look things up under my number and find nothing (not surprising). Guy tells me the model number in the system IS for my truck, but it doesn't match what's actually in the truck. I call my husband and put him on speaker, we go over everything. Entire time the O'Reilly's dude is being a jerk to me. Pushing that we need to just buy a new battery. DH is getting pissy with how I'm being spoken to and tells me to leave so I leave.

He tells me to drive back to Auto Zone and buy a brand new battery from them. Fine. I can o that. They're nicer to me anyways. So I drive allllll the way back to Auto Zone and the sales guy recognizes me (and the truck - after market exhaust makes it loud for what it is), says "You're back". I tell him what happened. He looks at me funny. Says the only place I could have bought the battery is there because the brand is an O'Reilly's brand and no one else carries it, but he'll get me taken care of. Look up my truck in the system, pick out a battery and wheel it out to put it in.

New battery nearly twice as big as old battery. Huh. Auto Zone dude and I determine that O'Reilly's SOLD us the correct battery but actually INSTALLED the incorrect battery (which might explain why it died so fast, maybe?). Get new one installed and I start the truck. It starts faster, truck sounds happier and I drive off, it has the amount of power it should have.

We'll see what the hubby has to say when he gets home, but we are NEVER going back to O'Reilly's, just on account of how I was treated.

VorGuy is boycotting O'Reilly's, too.

A couple of years ago, I had something go wrong at DD's house (Ambrosia Hino - not that it matters to this story - but) - our old mechanic there bought the parts at O'Reilly's and paid for "lifetime insurance" on the parts...

Less than two years later, the strut(?) fails and pokes through the spokes of the aluminum wheel rim - which I discover when trying to leave for DD's house (new grandbaby & I'm the doula for a mother who's just had a C-section).  Delay to get repairs to rim and the vehicle towed to closest repair shop for strut (or whatever replaced so that I can drive).

Take paperwork to mechanic in Georgia - to his complete shock and embarrassment - O'Reilly's refuses to replace the part and doesn't want to pay for the repairs to the rim (nearly $240, as I recall).  He calls to remind that store manager that he has a large and active account for parts and that they have been a major supplier - but if they won't honor the "insurance" that he paid for, then he will have to start buying parts elsewhere.

I am told that they have to see the parts and test them to determine why they failed - so I have to give or send them the parts...the parts were replaced in Texas, not Georgia and I did NOT bring them along.

Get back to Texas, shop still has the parts, they are taken to a nearby store to be shipped to corporate with the claim number.  It takes a little while for them to get picked up & shipped - I call weekly until they admit that the parts have arrived and that they will look at them "soon".  Don't hear from them for a while, call back two or three months later - both to Georgia store and corporate "customer service" number - nice guy on phone, not so nice on dragging their feet...

Three months after they got the parts, we are offered $20 - less than 10% of the cost of the repairs to the wheel and NOTHING on the cost of a new strut or the labor to replace it.  After much verbal outrage and tossing around the figure 10% of repair costs to wheel and NOTHING offered for other repairs to vehicle - we are sent a check for $120 (I think it was, at most) - so 50% of the cost of the repairs to the aluminum wheel caused from trying to back up with the thing just barely poking through it, before I backed up a foot & felt the car rise & fall on that side - and the new parts & labor to replace the bad part that they sold.

Upshot of a long story - busy small garage doing an easy figures in parts is no longer buying any from that chain.  Everyone in the family & social group who has heard the story is not buying so much as an air freshener for the car there.  And I mention the story on-line whenever the topic seems appropriate. 

They say happy customers will tell ten people and unhappy customers will tell a hundred or more people. 

I have no idea how many have heard or read the story by now...but I'm working on telling over a thousand people, maybe I should shoot for ten thousand.  Because I am still not happy (and I'm still driving that vehicle). 
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #5087 on: November 14, 2013, 10:38:31 AM »
The bagel shop on my way to work. 

I recently started a new job and found a local bagel shop on my way in.  I stopped and waited in line, a few people in front of me, but it was moving quickly.  Just as I get to the front, the counter person turns away and starts making an order, completely ignoring me. 

He handed the order to someone that just came in.  He then turned to me and said 'what do you want?'  I asked why he helped someone when he had people waiting. 

His response:  'he's a regular customer, he gets the same thing each time.  I just make his order when he comes in.   I don't make him wait.  Gotta keep them happy.'

My response: 'I'm a first time customer, but I don't think I will become a regular.'

I found another place a little out of the way, with better bagels and better service. Now, I'm a regular customer there.

I worked at a coffee shop where our manager basically wanted us to do this. See a regular who gets the same thing everyday? Start making his order. Even if there is a line in front of you, that way we keep the regulars coming back. When I pointed out, in a staff meeting, that we get regulars by treating them well the first time I was told I just didn't understand how business worked (I was only 18 at the time). I kept quiet but never did what they asked. If I saw a regular and didn't have a line, then yes I'd start making their order. Or if I was making a drink and saw Joe who only gets a plain bagel come up I'd have someone grab Joe a bagel and start toasting it if they weren't doing something else. If I saw a regular in line I'd say "Hi Joe, be with you just a moment", which made Joe happy because he got acknowledged and also made Sue happy because I kept waiting her and got to know her as well as Joe (and started saying "Hi Sue!" when I saw her).

My manager still wasn't pleased because Joe shouldn't have to wait. He's a regular. He became a regular because when he wasn't we still gave him great customer service. Eventually I left for a better job, I stopped by one day for a cup of coffee, it was terrible mass chaos. Manager had chased off all the good employees who had customer service backgrounds and knew how to treat people well and hired a bunch of kids who'd never worked before and then trained them terribly. 5 people jumped me in line because "they were regulars and we take care of regulars",  ::), it's still standing but has a new manager now. Haven't had a need to go back but I'm hoping it's better.

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #5088 on: November 14, 2013, 06:44:41 PM »
I had the opposite problem with my long-time veterinarian.  For a while the place went to a "no appointments" policy. Often new customers (not emergencies) who arrived after me got seen first.  All I could figure out was that the staff wanted to impress newcomers and figured, for some reason, that I didn't mind waiting since I was a regular.  I was glad when they went back to scheduled appointments.
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #5089 on: November 14, 2013, 06:49:48 PM »
I had the opposite problem with my long-time veterinarian.  For a while the place went to a "no appointments" policy. Often new customers (not emergencies) who arrived after me got seen first.  All I could figure out was that the staff wanted to impress newcomers and figured, for some reason, that I didn't mind waiting since I was a regular.  I was glad when they went back to scheduled appointments.

That just sounds like chaos. Walk-ins welcome I could see, but just...drop by and lets hope we can squeeze you in? My groomers won't even do that! They offer a few services without an appointment (I know nail clipping, I can't think of anything else), but otherwise you have to have an appointment. I couldn't imagine our vet trying to do that.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #5090 on: November 15, 2013, 12:11:33 AM »
My husband just ran into an issue with a casual restaurant.  He needed to make a reservation for 16 people for a work luncheon.  He called a local restaurant over a week in advance to see if his group could be accommodated.  He was told "sure thing!" and so he made a specific time reservation and everything.  He told them he'd get back to them with a more exact headcount the day before. 

So he called today, the day before the luncheon, and was told that, not only do they not have any record of his phone call/arrangements from last week, but that they don't even take reservations!  They said the most they could do was to expect his group's arrival and try to accommodate them.  So he ended up calling the neighboring restaurant (similar style and food) and finding that they *do* take reservations and were happily able to plan for 16 people with one day's notice.  Whew. 

Not sure it's something that would make him never plan lunch at that first restaurant ever again, but that restaurant will definitely be missing out on a large order, and won't be considered for future luncheons/meetings (which, given that the restaurant is near a major employer, is significant).

(Oh, and in case it occurs to anybody, there's no chance that my husband made the reservation at a different place.)

Hillia

« Reply #5091 on: November 15, 2013, 12:29:01 AM »
This reminds me of something that happened years ago.  At my workplace, we celebrated Secretaries' Day and Bosses' Day by the 'honoree' group  being hosted at lunch by the other.  So on Bosses' Day, we planned to take our bosses to a popular local restaurant.  Made the reservation for about 20-25 people.  We arranged that one woman would put the entire bill on her credit card; the others would keep a mental note of their own order bill and reimburse her, and we'd split the bosses' bill among us.  We'd done it this way before, no one took advantage, it worked out fine.

Except this time.  We had a good lunch, got back to the office, and we each reported to the cardholder what we'd had for lunch.  After she removed those items and accounted for the bosses' meals, we had a good 7-10 extra meals that couldn't be accounted for.  No one had ordered extra, no one had ordered anything extravagant.  Apparently the restaurant felt that because there were so many of us, we wouldn't notice if they charged us for more meals than we'd ordered.  We finally had to go  back to the restaurant, bill and menu in hand, and complain loud and long to the manager before he'd adjust the bill.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #5092 on: November 15, 2013, 06:28:47 AM »

That just sounds like chaos. Walk-ins welcome I could see, but just...drop by and lets hope we can squeeze you in? My groomers won't even do that! They offer a few services without an appointment (I know nail clipping, I can't think of anything else), but otherwise you have to have an appointment. I couldn't imagine our vet trying to do that.

My vet does appointments, but also has periods each day for drop-in.  It works really well, the only time I've had to wait for a long time during a drop-in period was when all the vets were working on a dog who had been rushed in after being bitten by a snake.

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
« Reply #5093 on: November 15, 2013, 07:59:38 AM »
This reminds me of something that happened years ago.  At my workplace, we celebrated Secretaries' Day and Bosses' Day by the 'honoree' group  being hosted at lunch by the other.  So on Bosses' Day, we planned to take our bosses to a popular local restaurant.  Made the reservation for about 20-25 people.  We arranged that one woman would put the entire bill on her credit card; the others would keep a mental note of their own order bill and reimburse her, and we'd split the bosses' bill among us.  We'd done it this way before, no one took advantage, it worked out fine.

Except this time.  We had a good lunch, got back to the office, and we each reported to the cardholder what we'd had for lunch.  After she removed those items and accounted for the bosses' meals, we had a good 7-10 extra meals that couldn't be accounted for.  No one had ordered extra, no one had ordered anything extravagant.  Apparently the restaurant felt that because there were so many of us, we wouldn't notice if they charged us for more meals than we'd ordered.  We finally had to go  back to the restaurant, bill and menu in hand, and complain loud and long to the manager before he'd adjust the bill.

I'd have been tempted to call the cops on that one.

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

Goosey

« Reply #5094 on: November 15, 2013, 08:34:38 AM »

My vet does appointments, but also has periods each day for drop-in.  It works really well, the only time I've had to wait for a long time during a drop-in period was when all the vets were working on a dog who had been rushed in after being bitten by a snake.
I used to take my dogs to a drop-in place. I stopped going because (1) I'd see a different vet every time (I always feel better when my vet is familiar with my animals) and (2) one of my dogs had kennel cough. I knew it was kennel cough and called ahead. Most places, when they suspect an infectious sickness, will take you in a side door or at least make sure you get through the lobby right away. They told me no, just "try to keep her from the other dogs" in their little lobby. Um, no I'm not exposing other dogs to kennel cough. And what kind of sicknesses are they exposing my dogs to if this is their standard procedure?

I ended up paying more for first time visit fees to go to a "by appointment" vet. I haven't regretted it.

cwm

« Reply #5095 on: November 15, 2013, 11:43:48 AM »

I used to take my dogs to a drop-in place. I stopped going because (1) I'd see a different vet every time (I always feel better when my vet is familiar with my animals) and (2) one of my dogs had kennel cough. I knew it was kennel cough and called ahead. Most places, when they suspect an infectious sickness, will take you in a side door or at least make sure you get through the lobby right away. They told me no, just "try to keep her from the other dogs" in their little lobby. Um, no I'm not exposing other dogs to kennel cough. And what kind of sicknesses are they exposing my dogs to if this is their standard procedure?

I ended up paying more for first time visit fees to go to a "by appointment" vet. I haven't regretted it.

My vet is "by appointment", but he has a house call practice, so either I take Fulton to him or he comes to us.

The few times I had to take a dog to the attached vet working at the grooming salon, it was madness. They'd take appointments, but they also had to take in any emergency cases and the vets working there were on a rotating basis. As in, I was working there for two years and saw about seven or eight vets there. They only had three at a time. They were overpriced, even if you got the "care plan" they offered. I heard horror stories the whole time I worked there. Not from the care, the standard of care was great, but the wait times, the layout of the place, and the prices all drove me to tell my mom to go somewhere else.

And really, when the manager of the retail store that works in conjunction with the vet's office takes her dogs somewhere else, the manager of the pet hotel takes their dogs somewhere else, and half the rest of the store employees take their dogs elsewhere simply based on cost (and they got a discount for working in the store), that says a lot about the pricing scheme.

Lillie82

« Reply #5096 on: November 16, 2013, 09:17:11 PM »
Not sure the phrase, "I'm never shopping there again," quite works with this one, but this was a major customer service fail (in kind of a "sensitive" industry) and I was thinking about where on Ehell it would be appropriate to share it. And there isn't really an etiquette question.

In a nutshell: donations to a charity in honor of a deceased person were left at the funeral home - and the funeral home didn't forward them to the charity until a year later.

More background:

I think I've mentioned before that my mom heads up a small non-profit, offering information and support to parents of kids who have a certain kind of disability. I have stepped in and become the office assistant, at least temporarily, when the original one got very ill.

Well, this month we received a mailing from a funeral home containing two donations, one check and some cash, made in honor of someone who had passed away. Mom didn't recognize the name, and there wasn't a family member included as contact, so I looked up the obituary and also called the funeral  home. I discovered that the deceased had passed away in November of 2012. Thinking maybe I had the wrong person, and another individual with the same name had passed away more recently, I asked the funeral home if I had the right one.  Then I realized the check was dated November 2012. The person I got on the phone at the funeral home was like, "Oh, yeah, my secretary just went through some old files." To be fair, I was asking him about who to contact from the family, and trying to verify that I had the right person, I didn't phrase my call as complaining about the delay, but don't you think they should have been a little more apologetic, or at least aware that they screwed up? Mom and I drafted some very grovelling thank-yous to the family (the funeral home did give us that contact) and to the two individuals who had donated - who, we were afraid, might be wondering why they hadn't yet received thank-yous for donations sent over a year ago!

Mom feels it's the family's place, not ours, to make a formal complaint with the funeral home because they're the "customer." But unfortunately, we took the check to the bank as part of a deposit before we read the date carefully (which, I admit was our mistake but it doesn't occur to us to check to make sure our donations aren't a year old). The deposit went through but the bank could still reject the check, so to speak, and may charge us a fee!

I wonder if there were even more cash donations than the one we received, and they got permanently lost or even stolen from the funeral home.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 08:20:25 PM by Lillie82 »

andi

« Reply #5097 on: November 17, 2013, 09:08:55 PM »
Thanks for the Sears horror stories everyone, my washer died yesterday (Kenmore) and isn't covered under my extended home warranty sonhuupbby called Sears. I have my fingers crossed - pray for us

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5098 on: November 17, 2013, 10:13:27 PM »
Once my current custom order is done, I will never buy another thing from a particular jeweler.  Waaay back in August, I got the idea to order a custom pin for DH for Christmas, a replica of a pin worn by soldiers of the First Minnesota in the Civil War.  I contacted K. Dopita, a jeweler who made very nice pieces in both silver and pewter, who said it wouldn't be a problem to replicate it as a Christmas present.  I sent her pictures and a description.  She said she had a lot going on right then, and she would "get back to me".  I emailed her at the beginning of October asking if she was still going to be able to do the order, since I'd never heard from her.  I got back a response saying she had taken "hundreds of custom orders" and since I didn't need mine until Christmas, she would be working on all of them first.  So I should check back at the beginning of December.

I'm not very happy about a) being put off so much and b) the bragging about all the other custom orders she's taken.  I get that it's a small order and all, but it just doesn't seem like she cares about getting it to me in a timely fashion (I need to get it before Christmas Day if it's a Christmas present to someone!) or cares about how the pushing me off for four months will affect my perception of her. 

Petticoats

« Reply #5099 on: November 17, 2013, 11:44:05 PM »
Once my current custom order is done, I will never buy another thing from a particular jeweler.  Waaay back in August, I got the idea to order a custom pin for DH for Christmas, a replica of a pin worn by soldiers of the First Minnesota in the Civil War.  I contacted K. Dopita, a jeweler who made very nice pieces in both silver and pewter, who said it wouldn't be a problem to replicate it as a Christmas present.  I sent her pictures and a description.  She said she had a lot going on right then, and she would "get back to me".  I emailed her at the beginning of October asking if she was still going to be able to do the order, since I'd never heard from her.  I got back a response saying she had taken "hundreds of custom orders" and since I didn't need mine until Christmas, she would be working on all of them first.  So I should check back at the beginning of December.

I'm not very happy about a) being put off so much and b) the bragging about all the other custom orders she's taken.  I get that it's a small order and all, but it just doesn't seem like she cares about getting it to me in a timely fashion (I need to get it before Christmas Day if it's a Christmas present to someone!) or cares about how the pushing me off for four months will affect my perception of her. 

Ugh. Is there another jeweler who could do this for you? This one sounds like a bad risk.