Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1095024 times)

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5100 on: November 15, 2013, 07:59:38 AM »
This reminds me of something that happened years ago.  At my workplace, we celebrated Secretaries' Day and Bosses' Day by the 'honoree' group  being hosted at lunch by the other.  So on Bosses' Day, we planned to take our bosses to a popular local restaurant.  Made the reservation for about 20-25 people.  We arranged that one woman would put the entire bill on her credit card; the others would keep a mental note of their own order bill and reimburse her, and we'd split the bosses' bill among us.  We'd done it this way before, no one took advantage, it worked out fine.

Except this time.  We had a good lunch, got back to the office, and we each reported to the cardholder what we'd had for lunch.  After she removed those items and accounted for the bosses' meals, we had a good 7-10 extra meals that couldn't be accounted for.  No one had ordered extra, no one had ordered anything extravagant.  Apparently the restaurant felt that because there were so many of us, we wouldn't notice if they charged us for more meals than we'd ordered.  We finally had to go  back to the restaurant, bill and menu in hand, and complain loud and long to the manager before he'd adjust the bill.

I'd have been tempted to call the cops on that one.

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

Goosey

« Reply #5101 on: November 15, 2013, 08:34:38 AM »
I had the opposite problem with my long-time veterinarian.  For a while the place went to a "no appointments" policy. Often new customers (not emergencies) who arrived after me got seen first.  All I could figure out was that the staff wanted to impress newcomers and figured, for some reason, that I didn't mind waiting since I was a regular.  I was glad when they went back to scheduled appointments.

That just sounds like chaos. Walk-ins welcome I could see, but just...drop by and lets hope we can squeeze you in? My groomers won't even do that! They offer a few services without an appointment (I know nail clipping, I can't think of anything else), but otherwise you have to have an appointment. I couldn't imagine our vet trying to do that.

My vet does appointments, but also has periods each day for drop-in.  It works really well, the only time I've had to wait for a long time during a drop-in period was when all the vets were working on a dog who had been rushed in after being bitten by a snake.
I used to take my dogs to a drop-in place. I stopped going because (1) I'd see a different vet every time (I always feel better when my vet is familiar with my animals) and (2) one of my dogs had kennel cough. I knew it was kennel cough and called ahead. Most places, when they suspect an infectious sickness, will take you in a side door or at least make sure you get through the lobby right away. They told me no, just "try to keep her from the other dogs" in their little lobby. Um, no I'm not exposing other dogs to kennel cough. And what kind of sicknesses are they exposing my dogs to if this is their standard procedure?

I ended up paying more for first time visit fees to go to a "by appointment" vet. I haven't regretted it.

cwm

« Reply #5102 on: November 15, 2013, 11:43:48 AM »
I had the opposite problem with my long-time veterinarian.  For a while the place went to a "no appointments" policy. Often new customers (not emergencies) who arrived after me got seen first.  All I could figure out was that the staff wanted to impress newcomers and figured, for some reason, that I didn't mind waiting since I was a regular.  I was glad when they went back to scheduled appointments.

That just sounds like chaos. Walk-ins welcome I could see, but just...drop by and lets hope we can squeeze you in? My groomers won't even do that! They offer a few services without an appointment (I know nail clipping, I can't think of anything else), but otherwise you have to have an appointment. I couldn't imagine our vet trying to do that.

My vet does appointments, but also has periods each day for drop-in.  It works really well, the only time I've had to wait for a long time during a drop-in period was when all the vets were working on a dog who had been rushed in after being bitten by a snake.
I used to take my dogs to a drop-in place. I stopped going because (1) I'd see a different vet every time (I always feel better when my vet is familiar with my animals) and (2) one of my dogs had kennel cough. I knew it was kennel cough and called ahead. Most places, when they suspect an infectious sickness, will take you in a side door or at least make sure you get through the lobby right away. They told me no, just "try to keep her from the other dogs" in their little lobby. Um, no I'm not exposing other dogs to kennel cough. And what kind of sicknesses are they exposing my dogs to if this is their standard procedure?

I ended up paying more for first time visit fees to go to a "by appointment" vet. I haven't regretted it.

My vet is "by appointment", but he has a house call practice, so either I take Fulton to him or he comes to us.

The few times I had to take a dog to the attached vet working at the grooming salon, it was madness. They'd take appointments, but they also had to take in any emergency cases and the vets working there were on a rotating basis. As in, I was working there for two years and saw about seven or eight vets there. They only had three at a time. They were overpriced, even if you got the "care plan" they offered. I heard horror stories the whole time I worked there. Not from the care, the standard of care was great, but the wait times, the layout of the place, and the prices all drove me to tell my mom to go somewhere else.

And really, when the manager of the retail store that works in conjunction with the vet's office takes her dogs somewhere else, the manager of the pet hotel takes their dogs somewhere else, and half the rest of the store employees take their dogs elsewhere simply based on cost (and they got a discount for working in the store), that says a lot about the pricing scheme.

Lillie82

« Reply #5103 on: November 16, 2013, 09:17:11 PM »
Not sure the phrase, "I'm never shopping there again," quite works with this one, but this was a major customer service fail (in kind of a "sensitive" industry) and I was thinking about where on Ehell it would be appropriate to share it. And there isn't really an etiquette question.

In a nutshell: donations to a charity in honor of a deceased person were left at the funeral home - and the funeral home didn't forward them to the charity until a year later.

More background:

I think I've mentioned before that my mom heads up a small non-profit, offering information and support to parents of kids who have a certain kind of disability. I have stepped in and become the office assistant, at least temporarily, when the original one got very ill.

Well, this month we received a mailing from a funeral home containing two donations, one check and some cash, made in honor of someone who had passed away. Mom didn't recognize the name, and there wasn't a family member included as contact, so I looked up the obituary and also called the funeral  home. I discovered that the deceased had passed away in November of 2012. Thinking maybe I had the wrong person, and another individual with the same name had passed away more recently, I asked the funeral home if I had the right one.  Then I realized the check was dated November 2012. The person I got on the phone at the funeral home was like, "Oh, yeah, my secretary just went through some old files." To be fair, I was asking him about who to contact from the family, and trying to verify that I had the right person, I didn't phrase my call as complaining about the delay, but don't you think they should have been a little more apologetic, or at least aware that they screwed up? Mom and I drafted some very grovelling thank-yous to the family (the funeral home did give us that contact) and to the two individuals who had donated - who, we were afraid, might be wondering why they hadn't yet received thank-yous for donations sent over a year ago!

Mom feels it's the family's place, not ours, to make a formal complaint with the funeral home because they're the "customer." But unfortunately, we took the check to the bank as part of a deposit before we read the date carefully (which, I admit was our mistake but it doesn't occur to us to check to make sure our donations aren't a year old). The deposit went through but the bank could still reject the check, so to speak, and may charge us a fee!

I wonder if there were even more cash donations than the one we received, and they got permanently lost or even stolen from the funeral home.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 08:20:25 PM by Lillie82 »

andi

« Reply #5104 on: November 17, 2013, 09:08:55 PM »
Thanks for the Sears horror stories everyone, my washer died yesterday (Kenmore) and isn't covered under my extended home warranty sonhuupbby called Sears. I have my fingers crossed - pray for us

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5105 on: November 17, 2013, 10:13:27 PM »
Once my current custom order is done, I will never buy another thing from a particular jeweler.  Waaay back in August, I got the idea to order a custom pin for DH for Christmas, a replica of a pin worn by soldiers of the First Minnesota in the Civil War.  I contacted K. Dopita, a jeweler who made very nice pieces in both silver and pewter, who said it wouldn't be a problem to replicate it as a Christmas present.  I sent her pictures and a description.  She said she had a lot going on right then, and she would "get back to me".  I emailed her at the beginning of October asking if she was still going to be able to do the order, since I'd never heard from her.  I got back a response saying she had taken "hundreds of custom orders" and since I didn't need mine until Christmas, she would be working on all of them first.  So I should check back at the beginning of December.

I'm not very happy about a) being put off so much and b) the bragging about all the other custom orders she's taken.  I get that it's a small order and all, but it just doesn't seem like she cares about getting it to me in a timely fashion (I need to get it before Christmas Day if it's a Christmas present to someone!) or cares about how the pushing me off for four months will affect my perception of her. 

Petticoats

« Reply #5106 on: November 17, 2013, 11:44:05 PM »
Once my current custom order is done, I will never buy another thing from a particular jeweler.  Waaay back in August, I got the idea to order a custom pin for DH for Christmas, a replica of a pin worn by soldiers of the First Minnesota in the Civil War.  I contacted K. Dopita, a jeweler who made very nice pieces in both silver and pewter, who said it wouldn't be a problem to replicate it as a Christmas present.  I sent her pictures and a description.  She said she had a lot going on right then, and she would "get back to me".  I emailed her at the beginning of October asking if she was still going to be able to do the order, since I'd never heard from her.  I got back a response saying she had taken "hundreds of custom orders" and since I didn't need mine until Christmas, she would be working on all of them first.  So I should check back at the beginning of December.

I'm not very happy about a) being put off so much and b) the bragging about all the other custom orders she's taken.  I get that it's a small order and all, but it just doesn't seem like she cares about getting it to me in a timely fashion (I need to get it before Christmas Day if it's a Christmas present to someone!) or cares about how the pushing me off for four months will affect my perception of her. 

Ugh. Is there another jeweler who could do this for you? This one sounds like a bad risk.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #5107 on: November 17, 2013, 11:55:52 PM »
Thanks for the Sears horror stories everyone, my washer died yesterday (Kenmore) and isn't covered under my extended home warranty sonhuupbby called Sears. I have my fingers crossed - pray for us

I cross my fingers for you too!

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #5108 on: November 19, 2013, 04:46:21 PM »
We had a good lunch, got back to the office, and we each reported to the cardholder what we'd had for lunch.  After she removed those items and accounted for the bosses' meals, we had a good 7-10 extra meals that couldn't be accounted for.  No one had ordered extra, no one had ordered anything extravagant.  Apparently the restaurant felt that because there were so many of us, we wouldn't notice if they charged us for more meals than we'd ordered.  We finally had to go  back to the restaurant, bill and menu in hand, and complain loud and long to the manager before he'd adjust the bill.

I'd have been tempted to call the cops on that one.

Rob

7 - 10 extra!?!?!?  Oh, they're not greedy! 
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Otterpop

« Reply #5109 on: November 19, 2013, 06:35:46 PM »

Ugh. Is there another jeweler who could do this for you? This one sounds like a bad risk.

Yeah, bad risk.  Why didn't they just take your order in the first place?

andi

« Reply #5110 on: November 19, 2013, 10:46:31 PM »

Well - I kinda wish I had something exiting to share, but the guy showed up ON TIME and fixed it in 30 minutes, even showed hubby how to drain the trap next time so we don't have to call agan. Wow - cost $100 and most of that was the service fee.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #5111 on: November 20, 2013, 12:21:13 AM »

Well - I kinda wish I had something exiting to share, but the guy showed up ON TIME and fixed it in 30 minutes, even showed hubby how to drain the trap next time so we don't have to call agan. Wow - cost $100 and most of that was the service fee.

That's actually awesome!

unnalee

« Reply #5112 on: November 21, 2013, 09:50:27 AM »
My chiropractor has just lost a patient.  I used to see this chiropractor when I was in college.  When I moved away, I was sorry to leave his practice.  When we moved back over a year ago, I was happy that he'd take me back as a patient.  He's made my pregnancy pains much more bareable lately. 

However, when I make an appointment, I'm never sure when I'll actually get in.  I always tried to get the first appointment of the day (8:10 a.m.), only to show up and find that he's squeezed in two people before me.  Or he'd show up late and wouldn't be ready for another 10 minutes.  He always took as much time as needed to address my issues, but when he does this with all his appointments, he falls waaaaaaay behind in the schedule.

I had an appointment with him yesterday at 12:30.  I showed up 10 minutes early, checked in, and realized there were 4 people already sitting in the waiting room.  Even if he stuck to the 15 min. per person that he schedules for, I was still looking at an hour before seeing him.  I had another appointment scheduled across town (small town, so only a 5 minute drive) for an hour later.  I did not have a good feeling about this...

So I asked the receptionist if the doc was running on time today as I had another appointment in an hour.  She just shrugged and looked around the waiting room and said, "Well, there are a few people ahead of you."  So I sat there for 40 minutes after my appointment time, and it would have finally been my turn to be taken to an exam room, but two of the previous people hadn't even come out yet, so he was still working on them.

I got up and told the receptionist that I had to leave and in a very dismissive tone she said, "Oh, that's too bad.  Sorry it didn't work out."  No offer to reschedule.  He might be the best chiropractor in town, but when I can't even be sure how much time to take off from work for what should be a 30 min. appointment, it's too much of a hassle. 

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #5113 on: November 21, 2013, 11:11:27 AM »

However, when I make an appointment, I'm never sure when I'll actually get in.  I always tried to get the first appointment of the day (8:10 a.m.), only to show up and find that he's squeezed in two people before me.  Or he'd show up late and wouldn't be ready for another 10 minutes.  He always took as much time as needed to address my issues, but when he does this with all his appointments, he falls waaaaaaay behind in the schedule.

Have you let HIM know about this issue?  Sometimes it's not the dr it's the office personnel and sometimes it is the dr and he just doesn't realize what is going on.  When I check in at the desk I ask is he running on time?  If it is more than 30 minutes I can leave and come back WITHOUT losing my place in line. 

Good physicians are notorious for working in patients truly sick or in pain but they need to let scheduled patients know what is going on. 

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #5114 on: November 21, 2013, 11:40:01 AM »

Have you let HIM know about this issue?  Sometimes it's not the dr it's the office personnel and sometimes it is the dr and he just doesn't realize what is going on.  When I check in at the desk I ask is he running on time?  If it is more than 30 minutes I can leave and come back WITHOUT losing my place in line. 

Good physicians are notorious for working in patients truly sick or in pain but they need to let scheduled patients know what is going on.

My pulmonologist is like that.  Sadly enough, I stick with him, because he's so wonderful that it's worth the wait, and now I know enough to schedule an appointment (rarely) with him, keeping in mind that he could be on time, or I could be waiting an hour or more.    We've actually discussed it in the waiting room, the other patients and I, and we all agree that he's THAT good.

For me alone, just getting a doctor who isn't going to *suggest* a diet every time I see him is the biggest plus.   I avoided doctors for years because of that, and this guy is a welcome relief, and I Can Breathe Again!