Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1209799 times)

Redneck Gravy

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5175 on: December 04, 2013, 02:43:41 PM »
For some reason I picture myself, arms covered in wristbands rocking sitting on the floor and rocking in the frozen section muttering "I get a line, they give me a wristband, I show that wristband at a different line, I get another wristband. Lots of wristbands, lots of lines, no stuff. Wristbands, I have my wristbands!", Walmart never seems very able to communicate with their employees what to do. It's very, every person for themselves in there. I call it training for the zombie apocalypse.

LOL, I have to agree.  No one knows what the devil they are doing and they are incredibly stupid and rude about doing it.  Sometimes I want to poke their foreheads to see if their heads will bobble  ;D

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #5176 on: December 04, 2013, 04:01:01 PM »
To be fair to employees of stores everywhere - it's hard to give good service if your management hasn't given you the tools to do so. Even the smartest employee will look like a fool if, say, there's a secret password to open the cash register, and no one in the store has been let in on the secret.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #5177 on: December 05, 2013, 10:16:01 AM »
To be fair to employees of stores everywhere - it's hard to give good service if your management hasn't given you the tools to do so. Even the smartest employee will look like a fool if, say, there's a secret password to open the cash register, and no one in the store has been let in on the secret.

Your right Twik! 

And just so everyone knows I have a family member that works for Walmart and she says management frequently forgets to share information; good customer service is still expected.   But it's not just WM, it's a number of retailers that lack customer service. 

It's the lack of courtesy I object to the most.  If you don't know, geez, just say so and let's work together to get an answer.  Don't treat me like I am the stupid one and tell me ABC when I am holding the ad in my hand and it says XYZ or the freeking sign hanging above your head has the policies and you are telling me something completely different.   

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5178 on: December 05, 2013, 10:21:49 AM »

Your right Twik! 

And just so everyone knows I have a family member that works for Walmart and she says management frequently forgets to share information; good customer service is still expected.   But it's not just WM, it's a number of retailers that lack customer service. 

It's the lack of courtesy I object to the most.  If you don't know, geez, just say so and let's work together to get an answer.  Don't treat me like I am the stupid one and tell me ABC when I am holding the ad in my hand and it says XYZ or the freeking sign hanging above your head has the policies and you are telling me something completely different.

POD a hundred times. I work PT in retail, so not every day, and my biggest complaint and pet peeve is the lack of communication. Managers will THINK they've told everyone about all the promos, coupons etc. but they haven't. or employee contests, or changes in policy etc. It drives me nuts. and makes me look stupid in front of a customer.

that being said, if I have a customer telling me or asking me one thing, and I think its another, I am always polite, and try and find out for them. I've never been rude or anything like that.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5179 on: December 05, 2013, 10:24:11 AM »
The worst part of working retail for me would be the policies that adjusted depending on the manager that was on duty at the time. It made no sense.

I have to say I like things to be black and white when it comes to business policies.

magicdomino

« Reply #5180 on: December 05, 2013, 11:39:47 AM »
POD a hundred times. I work PT in retail, so not every day, and my biggest complaint and pet peeve is the lack of communication. Managers will THINK they've told everyone about all the promos, coupons etc. but they haven't. or employee contests, or changes in policy etc. It drives me nuts. and makes me look stupid in front of a customer.

I had an example of that on Black Friday.  Now, I'll still be shopping at the nearby Home Depot, and I'm otherwise pleased with the way they handle Black Friday. 

However, there was a miscommunication about one of those big tool chests.  The ad on the front of the sales flyer was that if you bought a big 4 drawer wheeled unit, and a smaller 5 drawer unit, you got a 2 drawer unit free.  I found the boxes, an associate kindly located a cart, loaded it up, pushed the cart through check-out, and loaded the truck.  All well and good.  Then I looked at the receipt and realized that I had been charged for the free 2 drawer unit. 

After work, it's back to Home Depot and the customer service desk.  The gentleman at the desk had just come on duty, and wasn't familiar with any of the sales items.  After much searching of the computer, and studying of the ad, he called a manager.  Manager assured me that the free 2 drawer unit was in the box with the big unit, and I needed to return the one that I bought. 

The big unit's box was large and heavy, but I was pretty sure that the free unit wasn't in there.  Got home, opened it up, and sure enough there were no stray drawer units.  Saturday morning, back to Home Depot.  This time I got a manager who immediately knew to pull out a sheet of paper with the UPC codes for the Black Friday specials.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5181 on: December 05, 2013, 11:55:35 AM »
We had to go to Home Depot Black Friday evening and there was a very upset man gesturing wildly with their ad, looking for a particular product. They had sold out of it before noon.

I felt bad for him, but it is not unusual to sell out of a great product.

I, on the other hand, do half of my Christmas shopping in their seasonal merchandise area. Flashlights, knives, tools? The best gifts ever! Everyone can use a flashlight or screwdriver!

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #5182 on: December 07, 2013, 04:56:45 PM »
After Hurricane Ike, the best received Christmas gifts at the work exchange were along the lines of flashlights & weather radios that you charged by winding them up with a crank - if I could have found a solar powered cell phone charger for the price limit on the exchange, that one might have gotten "stolen" a few times (up to the limit as the game is played at that location). 

The kit for a gingerbread house also seems to be popular...

But the local WalMart had an astonishing number of broken ceramic gift items for sale in boxes - I now open the box & check it before I buy it so that I don't have to bring it back afterward to exchange.  It's not quite to "I'm never shopping THERE again!" level - but it is to "I don't trust this one aisle!".
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 04:58:50 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

cwm

« Reply #5183 on: December 17, 2013, 01:52:18 PM »
Chili's. Never going back. Ever.

Firstly, most of their menu is inedible to me. I can't eat spicy things. There are very few actual options on their menu that I could possibly begin to eat, and most of those have modifications.

There was a problem with the appetizer, but that was a problem with boyfriend not actually reading the menu and ordering something with jalapenos, then eating half of them before the server came to check on us. No returning that, and I couldn't even touch it, I very nearly lost my stomach at the smell of them on the table.

I get my salad. Grilled chicken salad, and it was not listed anywhere in the menu except for the meal deal, the two meals and an appetizer for $20. Great, I think it's just a house salad with grilled chicken. The picture of the house salad has sliced onions, in rings. I can pull those aside if they're too strong, fine. The salad comes out, and it's on a completely different plate. Okay, fine, still looks good. I don't see anything that I can't or won't eat in it, that's great.

A few bites in and it's obvious there's a problem. Then I see it. The onion. It and the pepper have been diced so fine that I literally have to dig through the salad with a careful eye to even see it, there's no picking it out or eating around it. At this point I'm in tears because I'm just so hungry, and I hadn't even wanted to eat out in the first place, all I got to eat was a bland piece of grilled chicken from the top of the salad.

The server came by once to ask if we needed any boxes. Our plates were pushed out in front of us, we were no longer eating, and boyfriend said "No, we're done here." Okay, no boxes. That was at a commercial break from the TV show. At the next commercial break the server comes back and asks us if we need boxes. Boyfriend looks at him. "No, we're finished." The server looks at him blankly and boyfriend asks for the check. (The commercial thing - I don't think he was in the back slacking and watching TV, I realize he had other duties, but that's how long it took for him to come back and offer us boxes. Again.)

The drinks weren't kept filled, the server didn't actually try to "connect" with me or boyfriend, he was distant the entire time. Yes, I realize everyone has off days, but that's indicative of the service I've come to expect at that location, which is the only location in the area. Next time boyfriend suggests it, I'll come up with some other suggestion in the area, even if it is just the salad bar/tiny cafe area of the grocery store. Heck, I'd even be willing to go to QuikTrip for a better meal. And better service.

StarFaerie

« Reply #5184 on: December 17, 2013, 09:29:38 PM »

Firstly, most of their menu is inedible to me. I can't eat spicy things. There are very few actual options on their menu that I could possibly begin to eat, and most of those have modifications.

There was a problem with the appetizer, but that was a problem with boyfriend not actually reading the menu and ordering something with jalapenos, then eating half of them before the server came to check on us. No returning that, and I couldn't even touch it, I very nearly lost my stomach at the smell of them on the table.

I get my salad. Grilled chicken salad, and it was not listed anywhere in the menu except for the meal deal, the two meals and an appetizer for $20. Great, I think it's just a house salad with grilled chicken. The picture of the house salad has sliced onions, in rings. I can pull those aside if they're too strong, fine. The salad comes out, and it's on a completely different plate. Okay, fine, still looks good. I don't see anything that I can't or won't eat in it, that's great.

A few bites in and it's obvious there's a problem. Then I see it. The onion. It and the pepper have been diced so fine that I literally have to dig through the salad with a careful eye to even see it, there's no picking it out or eating around it. At this point I'm in tears because I'm just so hungry, and I hadn't even wanted to eat out in the first place, all I got to eat was a bland piece of grilled chicken from the top of the salad.

The server came by once to ask if we needed any boxes. Our plates were pushed out in front of us, we were no longer eating, and boyfriend said "No, we're done here." Okay, no boxes. That was at a commercial break from the TV show. At the next commercial break the server comes back and asks us if we need boxes. Boyfriend looks at him. "No, we're finished." The server looks at him blankly and boyfriend asks for the check. (The commercial thing - I don't think he was in the back slacking and watching TV, I realize he had other duties, but that's how long it took for him to come back and offer us boxes. Again.)

The drinks weren't kept filled, the server didn't actually try to "connect" with me or boyfriend, he was distant the entire time. Yes, I realize everyone has off days, but that's indicative of the service I've come to expect at that location, which is the only location in the area. Next time boyfriend suggests it, I'll come up with some other suggestion in the area, even if it is just the salad bar/tiny cafe area of the grocery store. Heck, I'd even be willing to go to QuikTrip for a better meal. And better service.

Why didn't you let them know there was a problem with the food? Even by grabbing some other server to get them to help. Then you at least would have had something to eat.

cwm

« Reply #5185 on: December 18, 2013, 12:00:24 PM »

Why didn't you let them know there was a problem with the food? Even by grabbing some other server to get them to help. Then you at least would have had something to eat.

There was no other server around. I would have had to go to the bar to get someone's attention, and I don't even know if the bartender would have been able to do anything except order me a new salad. It would have taken enough time to get out that BF would have been fully done eating at that point, and I hate being the only person at the table eating. And by the time the server did stop by, all I wanted was to get out of there. I was fed up, and there's a history of poor service and little to no attention paid by any level of staff there, this was the final straw.

Plus the problem with the salad wasn't really a problem with the food. It was always made with onions. It was a problem on the menu, with that item not listed or described anywhere. I hate returning food when it wasn't an actual mistake in making it and it just wasn't what I was expecting. That would have been too hard for me at that point, I could barely speak already from the stress and the burning in my mouth.

Perfect Circle

• Birdie in the hand for life's rich demand
« Reply #5186 on: December 18, 2013, 01:36:45 PM »
If you have such a strong reaction to spices, perhaps a place called chili wasn't a best choice for food. I am not familiar with the restaurant but it conjures up an image of food which is hot.

I'm sorry you had such a rotten experience but in hindsight I think sending your bf to speak to the bartender to ask for a waiter would have been the best thing rather than try to suffer through a meal you couldn't eat at all.
There's a secret stigma, reaping wheel.
Diminish, a carnival of sorts.
Chronic town, poster torn, reaping wheel.
Stranger, stranger to these parts.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #5187 on: December 18, 2013, 02:43:57 PM »
If you have such a strong reaction to spices, perhaps a place called chili wasn't a best choice for food. I am not familiar with the restaurant but it conjures up an image of food which is hot.

I'm sorry you had such a rotten experience but in hindsight I think sending your bf to speak to the bartender to ask for a waiter would have been the best thing rather than try to suffer through a meal you couldn't eat at all.

Despite the name, Chilis aspires to be a moderately-priced "family restaurant" with a variety of American fare - other similar chains are TGIFridays and Applebee's.  I happen to agree about their menu, though - for all their "varied" menu choices, almost all of them have things I don't like (mostly peppers or cilantro) and/or just aren't very tasty.

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #5188 on: December 18, 2013, 02:55:17 PM »
cwm - would they not let you order the salad without onions?
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #5189 on: December 18, 2013, 03:05:24 PM »
cwm - would they not let you order the salad without onions?

I think the issue is that the menu did NOT mention onions - so she didn't know that she'd need to order it without them.

I've ordered a salad (Greek place) - cucumber was NOT listed on the menu.  I sent it back and requested it without cucumber - they checked to see if was an allergy (not at the time) - and sent out a "new" salad.  Which had chopped cucumber bits in it but they had apparently pulled the slices out....  It was my "going away party" so I didn't expect to be eating there again...anyway.

I have since had an itchy mouth while eating at a different Greek place - yogurt, dill, and cucumber dish - I don't like dill or cucumber and haven't since my earliest memories.  I don't plan on trying just dill or cucumber by themselves to see which it was that made my mouth itch...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?