Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1142320 times)

cwm

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5190 on: December 17, 2013, 01:52:18 PM »
Chili's. Never going back. Ever.

Firstly, most of their menu is inedible to me. I can't eat spicy things. There are very few actual options on their menu that I could possibly begin to eat, and most of those have modifications.

There was a problem with the appetizer, but that was a problem with boyfriend not actually reading the menu and ordering something with jalapenos, then eating half of them before the server came to check on us. No returning that, and I couldn't even touch it, I very nearly lost my stomach at the smell of them on the table.

I get my salad. Grilled chicken salad, and it was not listed anywhere in the menu except for the meal deal, the two meals and an appetizer for $20. Great, I think it's just a house salad with grilled chicken. The picture of the house salad has sliced onions, in rings. I can pull those aside if they're too strong, fine. The salad comes out, and it's on a completely different plate. Okay, fine, still looks good. I don't see anything that I can't or won't eat in it, that's great.

A few bites in and it's obvious there's a problem. Then I see it. The onion. It and the pepper have been diced so fine that I literally have to dig through the salad with a careful eye to even see it, there's no picking it out or eating around it. At this point I'm in tears because I'm just so hungry, and I hadn't even wanted to eat out in the first place, all I got to eat was a bland piece of grilled chicken from the top of the salad.

The server came by once to ask if we needed any boxes. Our plates were pushed out in front of us, we were no longer eating, and boyfriend said "No, we're done here." Okay, no boxes. That was at a commercial break from the TV show. At the next commercial break the server comes back and asks us if we need boxes. Boyfriend looks at him. "No, we're finished." The server looks at him blankly and boyfriend asks for the check. (The commercial thing - I don't think he was in the back slacking and watching TV, I realize he had other duties, but that's how long it took for him to come back and offer us boxes. Again.)

The drinks weren't kept filled, the server didn't actually try to "connect" with me or boyfriend, he was distant the entire time. Yes, I realize everyone has off days, but that's indicative of the service I've come to expect at that location, which is the only location in the area. Next time boyfriend suggests it, I'll come up with some other suggestion in the area, even if it is just the salad bar/tiny cafe area of the grocery store. Heck, I'd even be willing to go to QuikTrip for a better meal. And better service.

StarFaerie

« Reply #5191 on: December 17, 2013, 09:29:38 PM »

Firstly, most of their menu is inedible to me. I can't eat spicy things. There are very few actual options on their menu that I could possibly begin to eat, and most of those have modifications.

There was a problem with the appetizer, but that was a problem with boyfriend not actually reading the menu and ordering something with jalapenos, then eating half of them before the server came to check on us. No returning that, and I couldn't even touch it, I very nearly lost my stomach at the smell of them on the table.

I get my salad. Grilled chicken salad, and it was not listed anywhere in the menu except for the meal deal, the two meals and an appetizer for $20. Great, I think it's just a house salad with grilled chicken. The picture of the house salad has sliced onions, in rings. I can pull those aside if they're too strong, fine. The salad comes out, and it's on a completely different plate. Okay, fine, still looks good. I don't see anything that I can't or won't eat in it, that's great.

A few bites in and it's obvious there's a problem. Then I see it. The onion. It and the pepper have been diced so fine that I literally have to dig through the salad with a careful eye to even see it, there's no picking it out or eating around it. At this point I'm in tears because I'm just so hungry, and I hadn't even wanted to eat out in the first place, all I got to eat was a bland piece of grilled chicken from the top of the salad.

The server came by once to ask if we needed any boxes. Our plates were pushed out in front of us, we were no longer eating, and boyfriend said "No, we're done here." Okay, no boxes. That was at a commercial break from the TV show. At the next commercial break the server comes back and asks us if we need boxes. Boyfriend looks at him. "No, we're finished." The server looks at him blankly and boyfriend asks for the check. (The commercial thing - I don't think he was in the back slacking and watching TV, I realize he had other duties, but that's how long it took for him to come back and offer us boxes. Again.)

The drinks weren't kept filled, the server didn't actually try to "connect" with me or boyfriend, he was distant the entire time. Yes, I realize everyone has off days, but that's indicative of the service I've come to expect at that location, which is the only location in the area. Next time boyfriend suggests it, I'll come up with some other suggestion in the area, even if it is just the salad bar/tiny cafe area of the grocery store. Heck, I'd even be willing to go to QuikTrip for a better meal. And better service.

Why didn't you let them know there was a problem with the food? Even by grabbing some other server to get them to help. Then you at least would have had something to eat.

cwm

« Reply #5192 on: December 18, 2013, 12:00:24 PM »

Why didn't you let them know there was a problem with the food? Even by grabbing some other server to get them to help. Then you at least would have had something to eat.

There was no other server around. I would have had to go to the bar to get someone's attention, and I don't even know if the bartender would have been able to do anything except order me a new salad. It would have taken enough time to get out that BF would have been fully done eating at that point, and I hate being the only person at the table eating. And by the time the server did stop by, all I wanted was to get out of there. I was fed up, and there's a history of poor service and little to no attention paid by any level of staff there, this was the final straw.

Plus the problem with the salad wasn't really a problem with the food. It was always made with onions. It was a problem on the menu, with that item not listed or described anywhere. I hate returning food when it wasn't an actual mistake in making it and it just wasn't what I was expecting. That would have been too hard for me at that point, I could barely speak already from the stress and the burning in my mouth.

Perfect Circle

• Buy the sky and sell the sky and bleed the sky...
« Reply #5193 on: December 18, 2013, 01:36:45 PM »
If you have such a strong reaction to spices, perhaps a place called chili wasn't a best choice for food. I am not familiar with the restaurant but it conjures up an image of food which is hot.

I'm sorry you had such a rotten experience but in hindsight I think sending your bf to speak to the bartender to ask for a waiter would have been the best thing rather than try to suffer through a meal you couldn't eat at all.
Maybe he's caught in the legend
maybe he's caught in the mood
Maybe these maps and legends
Have been misunderstood

The map that you painted didn't seem real
He just sings whatever he's seen
Point to the legend, point to the east
Point to the yellow, red, and green

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #5194 on: December 18, 2013, 02:43:57 PM »
If you have such a strong reaction to spices, perhaps a place called chili wasn't a best choice for food. I am not familiar with the restaurant but it conjures up an image of food which is hot.

I'm sorry you had such a rotten experience but in hindsight I think sending your bf to speak to the bartender to ask for a waiter would have been the best thing rather than try to suffer through a meal you couldn't eat at all.

Despite the name, Chilis aspires to be a moderately-priced "family restaurant" with a variety of American fare - other similar chains are TGIFridays and Applebee's.  I happen to agree about their menu, though - for all their "varied" menu choices, almost all of them have things I don't like (mostly peppers or cilantro) and/or just aren't very tasty.

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #5195 on: December 18, 2013, 02:55:17 PM »
cwm - would they not let you order the salad without onions?
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #5196 on: December 18, 2013, 03:05:24 PM »

I think the issue is that the menu did NOT mention onions - so she didn't know that she'd need to order it without them.

I've ordered a salad (Greek place) - cucumber was NOT listed on the menu.  I sent it back and requested it without cucumber - they checked to see if was an allergy (not at the time) - and sent out a "new" salad.  Which had chopped cucumber bits in it but they had apparently pulled the slices out....  It was my "going away party" so I didn't expect to be eating there again...anyway.

I have since had an itchy mouth while eating at a different Greek place - yogurt, dill, and cucumber dish - I don't like dill or cucumber and haven't since my earliest memories.  I don't plan on trying just dill or cucumber by themselves to see which it was that made my mouth itch...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

magicdomino

« Reply #5197 on: December 18, 2013, 03:22:58 PM »

Judging from cwm's description, the toppings sound like they were pre-mixed, perhaps even chopped together in a food processor.  The onions in the photo were in rings, causing her to believe that they could be easily removed.

The correct thing to do is to ask for a manager on your way out, and politely explain the problem(s).  Even if there is nothing to be done right then, the manager can make note of the complaint and pass it on.  Since this is a big chain, a complaint about the way a dish is prepared can also be made to the corporate level.  Of course, this is easy to say after the fact, but the corporate-level complaint could still be done.

The waiter is still at fault.  He should have noticed that much of the food was not being eaten.  When cwm and her boyfriend refused to-go boxes twice, he should have asked if there was a problem with the food.

As long as we are handing out faults, boyfriend get 30 lashes with a wet noodle for not noticing that the appetizer that he was ordering to share contained jalapenos.   :)

Cwm, you have my sympathies.  My best friend cannot eat peppers of any sort, and onions and garlic are severely limited.  There are surprisingly few restaurants where she can count on finding a choice of things to eat.  Of the big chains, we are pretty much limited to Olice Garden and Red Lobster.  It's a shame because there are so many ethnic restaurants in our area, but navigating the menus are like picking her way through a minefield.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #5198 on: December 18, 2013, 03:48:59 PM »

I think the issue is that the menu did NOT mention onions - so she didn't know that she'd need to order it without them.

I've had that problem often enough to start pre-emptively asking, but it took a little time to learn, and some days I still forget. Thankfully I haven't hit the insidious chopped onions in salad, just the easy-to-remove rings.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

zinzin

« Reply #5199 on: December 18, 2013, 04:10:50 PM »
I think this is a great lesson in asking questions and not making assumptions. Just because on salad option incorporates onions in a specific way (and is presented on a certain plate) doesn't mean this is consistent across types. You'd be well served to be more proactive to avoid disappointment in the future. If you have a strong aversion, why not just get in the habit of askin? Restaurants are certainly used to questions.

Joeschmo

« Reply #5200 on: December 18, 2013, 04:15:59 PM »

Judging from cwm's description, the toppings sound like they were pre-mixed, perhaps even chopped together in a food processor.  The onions in the photo were in rings, causing her to believe that they could be easily removed.

The correct thing to do is to ask for a manager on your way out, and politely explain the problem(s).  Even if there is nothing to be done right then, the manager can make note of the complaint and pass it on.  Since this is a big chain, a complaint about the way a dish is prepared can also be made to the corporate level.  Of course, this is easy to say after the fact, but the corporate-level complaint could still be done.

The waiter is still at fault.  He should have noticed that much of the food was not being eaten.  When cwm and her boyfriend refused to-go boxes twice, he should have asked if there was a problem with the food.

As long as we are handing out faults, boyfriend get 30 lashes with a wet noodle for not noticing that the appetizer that he was ordering to share contained jalapenos.   :)

Cwm, you have my sympathies.  My best friend cannot eat peppers of any sort, and onions and garlic are severely limited.  There are surprisingly few restaurants where she can count on finding a choice of things to eat.  Of the big chains, we are pretty much limited to Olice Garden and Red Lobster.  It's a shame because there are so many ethnic restaurants in our area, but navigating the menus are like picking her way through a minefield.

The online menu must be clearer than the in restaurant menu because online the grilled chicken salad is described as: Grilled chicken breast served over fresh field greens topped with fresh diced tomatoes, house-made corn & black bean salsa, 3-cheese blend & honey-lime vinaigrette. found here https://www.chilistogo.com/menu/lighter-choices.aspx .  I would guess the onions are in the salsa which came on the salad.  I can understand being frustrated with boyfriend and waiter but Chili's is a Tex-mex style restaurant not just generic mid priced family friendly as someone else posted so I would have assumed everything has salsa or similar ingredients especially after the app with jalapenos.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 04:17:37 PM by Joeschmo »

Shalamar

« Reply #5201 on: December 18, 2013, 04:58:37 PM »
Speaking of salads, there's a restaurant in my home town that we'll never go to again. 

I asked to go there for my birthday, which is on July 22 (this becomes important in a minute).  My older daughter, who's a vegan, took a look at their online menu and found a very nice-sounding salad that she wanted to order.  When we went there for my birthday, Daughter asked for the salad - only to be told "Sorry, we're not serving that until the summer."

I repeat - this was JULY 22.   :o

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #5202 on: December 18, 2013, 08:54:10 PM »
Speaking of salads, there's a restaurant in my home town that we'll never go to again. 

I asked to go there for my birthday, which is on July 22 (this becomes important in a minute).  My older daughter, who's a vegan, took a look at their online menu and found a very nice-sounding salad that she wanted to order.  When we went there for my birthday, Daughter asked for the salad - only to be told "Sorry, we're not serving that until the summer."

OT, but that's also my birthday.  :)
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #5203 on: December 18, 2013, 09:24:58 PM »

but..but...*brain melts*

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #5204 on: December 18, 2013, 09:54:00 PM »

If you don't like spicy, Chili's is not the place for you.  They have onions and jalapenos in about everything because their corn salsa is made with them.  I would avoid anything Tex Mex or Southwestern if you don't like spicy.  Also, I have a friend who is particular about what goes in her salad because of an aversion to onions and some other things so she just goes somewhere that has a salad bar so she knows what is in her salad.  I do agree though the level of service you received would not have me running back (and I love spicy  so Chili's is a go to place for me).  My Chili's has awesome service.