Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1270850 times)

Otterpop

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5220 on: December 25, 2013, 10:35:44 AM »
I think I'm about to write off my local CVS pharmacy.

I went in yesterday to pick up my prescription and wait in line behind two people at the pick up line and when it's my turn the clerk said I had to go to the drop off window in order to renew my insurance.  So I go and wait in the drop off line behind three people until someone is able to run my insurance through.  I'm told to go back to the pick up line which now has four people in it.  I ask the clerk who just ran my insurance if she can ring me up since I've already waited in line two times and she told me no.  Fine.

So I wait in line for a third time and finally get to ring my prescription up.  When I mentioned this to the original clerk she said it was company policy to do that now because it was quicker that way.    ::)

Oh that's awful.  Four people can mean an extra 20-45 minutes in line with all the questions and paperwork.

When a clerk asks me to go to another line and then come back, I say, "Name (off nameplate) may I come back directly to you since I've already waited in line?"  So far I've always gotten a "yes."

A "no" would send me elsewhere, fast.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 10:38:07 AM by Otterpop »

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5221 on: December 25, 2013, 07:46:40 PM »

I went in yesterday to pick up my prescription and wait in line behind two people at the pick up line and when it's my turn the clerk said I had to go to the drop off window in order to renew my insurance.  So I go and wait in the drop off line behind three people until someone is able to run my insurance through.  I'm told to go back to the pick up line which now has four people in it.  I ask the clerk who just ran my insurance if she can ring me up since I've already waited in line two times and she told me no.  Fine.

So I wait in line for a third time and finally get to ring my prescription up.  When I mentioned this to the original clerk she said it was company policy to do that now because it was quicker that way.    ::)

Oh that's awful.  Four people can mean an extra 20-45 minutes in line with all the questions and paperwork.

When a clerk asks me to go to another line and then come back, I say, "Name (off nameplate) may I come back directly to you since I've already waited in line?"  So far I've always gotten a "yes."

In the US: With all the new insurance laws, stuff like that is going to happen anywhere. We go to a small pharmacy with dropoff, insurance approval, and pickup at one station, and I am completely positive that it will be handled as efficiently as possible while knowing the pharmamcist can't fill the prescription until he gets my insurance work, so I can't just call it in.

My plan for two months has been to get my prescriptions as early as the insurance company allows, so my next prescriptions will next week, then I'm good until Feb, when the rush will be done. Still not looking forward to it but I will never, ever blame the drugstore!

Otterpop

« Reply #5222 on: December 26, 2013, 12:40:26 AM »

In the US: With all the new insurance laws, stuff like that is going to happen anywhere. We go to a small pharmacy with dropoff, insurance approval, and pickup at one station, and I am completely positive that it will be handled as efficiently as possible while knowing the pharmamcist can't fill the prescription until he gets my insurance work, so I can't just call it in.

My plan for two months has been to get my prescriptions as early as the insurance company allows, so my next prescriptions will next week, then I'm good until Feb, when the rush will be done. Still not looking forward to it but I will never, ever blame the drugstore!

Problem is they made her wait in line and when it was her turn they told her to go to the back of another line.  When she was done there, she was told to go to the back of the original line and wait again.  Four people, who came in after her, got served first and I'm sure her wait time was quadrupled.  Getting people in and out in a timely/efficient manner and with the least amount of annoyance IS the pharmacies problem.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #5223 on: December 26, 2013, 11:56:09 AM »
When I mentioned this to the original clerk she said it was company policy to do that now because it was quicker that way.    ::)

I'm always tempted to ask, when I hear "company policy" if the person who made the policy has actually ever done the job. In my personal experience (as a worker), no. The policies are made by someone looking at data on a spread sheet who thinks "This way will be more efficient" implements it and causes inefficient chaos. Because the spread sheet said so.

Hillia

« Reply #5224 on: December 26, 2013, 12:10:56 PM »
The thing is, each individual transaction is probably quicker for the person performing it.  For the customer, who has to add in wait time in multiple lines, it's a nightmare.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5225 on: December 26, 2013, 12:22:09 PM »

Problem is they made her wait in line and when it was her turn they told her to go to the back of another line.  When she was done there, she was told to go to the back of the original line and wait again.  Four people, who came in after her, got served first and I'm sure her wait time was quadrupled.  Getting people in and out in a timely/efficient manner and with the least amount of annoyance IS the pharmacies problem.

I would expect to go to the end of the line if I had gotten in the wrong line to begin with. I have a feeling that is one of those things that we could disagree on forever. Somone's going to wait, and if I kind of goofed up, there is no reason for me to make people others wait. Yes, it is the phamacy's problem and they are doing the best they can.

MissRose

« Reply #5226 on: December 26, 2013, 01:53:53 PM »
If my favorite retailers were not using UPS for deliveries, I would not choose them personally.  Especially with the recent fiasco with deliveries, and from what I've read & heard then formed an opinion on those things: they did not hire sufficient (even if temporary) staff to sort packages, deliver packages, and address customer inquiries (phone or electronically).  The facebook page for UPS, some of the comments are NSFW, others are sad to read (missed medications, gifts for military members coming home, etc) and some are outright rude.  At least they did the right thing and did not force the drivers to deliver on Xmas Day.   Throw in that they want to charge a nominal fee to change delivery dates/time really irks me too.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5227 on: December 26, 2013, 03:51:18 PM »

I would expect to go to the end of the line if I had gotten in the wrong line to begin with. I have a feeling that is one of those things that we could disagree on forever. Somone's going to wait, and if I kind of goofed up, there is no reason for me to make people others wait. Yes, it is the phamacy's problem and they are doing the best they can.

It doesn't sound like it was the wrong line, though. If it wasn't the wrong line, it was marked such that it was not obvious to the customer, which basically makes it the same as not being the wrong line.

It sounds as though dirtyweasel was picking up a prescription, so she got in the "pick up a prescription" line. Then they located her prescription, but because of company policy, could not bill her insurance at that register. So she goes to another window (labeled as drop off, which is not what she was doing) to have her insurance billed. Rather than ringing up the prescription that was already waiting for her, they had her wait in the "pick up a prescription" line again.

If that's what happened, that's not a circumstance that her insurance had anything to do with, and it wasn't caused by waiting in the wrong line. That's the pharmacy coming up with a policy that will require every customer to wait in 3 lines for each visit. There might be legitimate reasons for doing things in that order, but they've set it up in a way that takes the longest possible time for each customer, which is poor planning on the pharmacy's part.

dirtyweasel

• Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...
« Reply #5228 on: December 26, 2013, 07:32:41 PM »

[/quote]

[/quote]

It doesn't sound like it was the wrong line, though. If it wasn't the wrong line, it was marked such that it was not obvious to the customer, which basically makes it the same as not being the wrong line.

It sounds as though dirtyweasel was picking up a prescription, so she got in the "pick up a prescription" line. Then they located her prescription, but because of company policy, could not bill her insurance at that register. So she goes to another window (labeled as drop off, which is not what she was doing) to have her insurance billed. Rather than ringing up the prescription that was already waiting for her, they had her wait in the "pick up a prescription" line again.

If that's what happened, that's not a circumstance that her insurance had anything to do with, and it wasn't caused by waiting in the wrong line. That's the pharmacy coming up with a policy that will require every customer to wait in 3 lines for each visit. There might be legitimate reasons for doing things in that order, but they've set it up in a way that takes the longest possible time for each customer, which is poor planning on the pharmacy's part.
[/quote]

Clipping the quote tree - Dindrane is correct in that I went to the Pick Up Lane first because I knew that I had a prescription waiting.  I then was directed to go to the Drop Off a Prescription Lane to fix the insurance.  In my experience (as a former Pharmacy Tech), this usually isn't done and the pharmacy clerk/tech who is checking you out will fix the insurance.  Since there were two clerks checking people out I assumed that she didn't know how to input the insurance information so she sent me to the other line to have someone do it which is totally fine.

What I didn't appreciate was being told to wait again after they fixed my insurance.  As a former pharmacy tech this is a big no-no.  When the persons insurance issues are fixed you either ring them out yourselves or you put them next in line at the register since they've been waiting longer.  You don't make them wait longer - it's just not a good practice.

mmswm

« Reply #5229 on: December 26, 2013, 11:10:30 PM »
I went shopping today.  Given that it's the day after Christmas, I expected long lines and crowded stores.  I was prepared for a long day.

My first stop was a specialty intimates store where I was properly fitted for bras.  I bought what I could with the gift certificate I had.  It was awesome.

My next stop was Macy's.  I had another gift certificate and I wanted to spend it on more bras.  Now, armed with the knowledge of my proper size, I set out to find bras that were pretty and that fit well.  My size is NOT an easy one to find (34G).  I know a couple different bra makers who do make that size, and Macy's carries them, so I started to look, but was having trouble.  There weren't too many people shopping in that department at that time, and I found a saleswoman who wasn't busy.  I asked her for help.  She was utterly useless.  I mentioned that I liked a particular style but that the biggest I could find it in was a 34DDD and asked if that style came in a 34G.  She looked it up, but then went and got a 36DDD off the shelf.  I repeated that I needed the 34 band size and that the 36 was simply too big.  She looked again and then went and found several other bras in a 36DDD.  Lather, rinse repeat.  I had to explain to her several times that a bigger band size wasn't going to work, and even explained bra sizing to her.  This, a woman who supposedly works in the intimates department!  After that, she just sort of disappeared.  I went off on my own and dug through every single bra in the entire department.  I did eventually find two that were the proper size.

I then went to the other end of the mall where I worked with the most wonderful sales associate at Bloomingdales.  It's the same parent company, but the sales people there are always so much more helpful and knowledgeable.  I give up on Macy's.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5230 on: December 27, 2013, 02:05:28 AM »
I had a really weird experience at Macy's when I was there last weekend. I was looking for new jeans, both because I think it's time to go down a size, and because the jeans I have are starting to show signs of wear a little bit.

Leaving aside the fact that just about everything made of denim was skinny jeans (I HATE this trend, because they make me look ridiculous and don't really fit), everything was all jumbled up with no rhyme or reason. Styles were mixed in together as well as sizes, and on some racks, even brands. They were all crammed so full that it was impossible to find anything easily, especially since a lot of the tags with sizing information were oh-so-conveniently located on the inside of a racks either butted up against each other or a wall.

I did find some jeans to try on (including the dreaded skinny jeans, just to make sure I wasn't being prejudiced), and went into the dressing room. Halfway through, while I was in the middle of changing pants (i.e. I didn't have any on), someone came into the dressing room and loudly yelled "Is there anyone in here?" while rattling the door to the room I was in. Keep in mind this was while I had no pants on. I answered that there was someone in the dressing room, and thought no more of it.

It turns out that the person rattling the dressing room door was the sales lady for that section. She yelled out to me as soon as I walked out of the dressing rooms to ask if anything had worked for me. She was far enough away that I wasn't really sure she was even talking to me until I looked around and didn't see anyone else.

It annoys me a little bit that Macy's has some seriously aggressively unhelpful sales people (in that they won't leave you alone to browse, but don't actually provide you with anything that could be called useful assistance). I'm the type of shopper who really would like you to leave me the heck alone unless I approach you with a question. And when the question is answered, leave me the heck alone again. Nothing drives me out of a store faster than too much attention from the sales staff.

So in this case, having that attention delivered with door rattling and yelling across the section, combined with the fact that I don't really need new jeans just yet, made me hightail it out of there as fast as I could.

I don't know that I will never shop at Macy's again, because honestly, my shopping options are not so extensive that I can afford to write off an entire department store without a really good reason. But it does mean that I will probably do most of my shopping online.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #5231 on: December 27, 2013, 02:48:22 AM »
I have a fairly athletic body type and I also hate skinny jeans.  too low, too tight, just shaped oddly for actual body types.  Just because they are skinny jeans doesn't mean that I want half of my behind hanging out.  If I size for my hips, I end up with a gap at the back.  If I size my thighs, I end up looking like a stuffed sausage at the waist.

So far Old Navy are the only ones who have skinny jeans that fit...somewhat

HorseFreak

« Reply #5232 on: December 27, 2013, 08:22:39 AM »
I love my local Columbia outlet, but I wish they would train their staff before forcing them to interrogate you about how they can help find what you're looking for. I came in one day soaked to the skin in an old down coat. I hadn't bought a new coat in nearly 10 years and I desperately needed something extremely warm and waterproof. The sales associate asked what I was looking for and I told her, "your warmest coat that's waterproof." She looked panicked that I knew exactly what I wanted and poked around pointing out some middle and heavy weight parkas that were similar to what I wanted. When I asked about down she got a deer in the headlights look and shook her head.

I walked around the back of the center rack and found a whole selection of down parkas and vests that are waterproof for only $10 more than the 3-in-1s she was trying to sell me. When asked again if I found something I told her the store had exactly what I was looking for on the other side of the rack which just made her uncomfortable.

Since then I've just browsed for what I want and given up on asking.

Psychopoesie

« Reply #5233 on: December 27, 2013, 08:39:30 AM »
The over-helpful staff at The Body Shop have driven me away from their store.

Last time I was there, I didn't even get into the shop before someone was asking if they could help - there was a display at the entrance of the store. Then two other shop assistants approached with the same question before I had been in the store for more than two minutes. It's a small shop. There were maybe two other shoppers there.  It's not like they couldn't see that I'd already been approached. After another shop assistant came over and started needlessly fiddling with the displays next to me, I gave up and left.

Not sure if they're doing this because of orders from corporate or if they're just a bit bored when it's not so busy. Wish they'd stop and let me browse in peace. I really love browsing and, if left to myself, usually buy a heap of stuff.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5234 on: December 27, 2013, 08:59:48 AM »
The over-helpful staff at The Body Shop have driven me away from their store.

Last time I was there, I didn't even get into the shop before someone was asking if they could help - there was a display at the entrance of the store. Then two other shop assistants approached with the same question before I had been in the store for more than two minutes. It's a small shop. There were maybe two other shoppers there.  It's not like they couldn't see that I'd already been approached. After another shop assistant came over and started needlessly fiddling with the displays next to me, I gave up and left.

Not sure if they're doing this because of orders from corporate or if they're just a bit bored when it's not so busy. Wish they'd stop and let me browse in peace. I really love browsing and, if left to myself, usually buy a heap of stuff.

More than likely its an edict from corporate, which is then enforced by managers. we have that in my store. I'ts a fine balance between doing what you're "supposed" to do, and being observed, and doing my own thing, which is much more low key and laid back, i.e. greeting, asking if anyone needs help, and backing the heck off. 

I too had an overzealous employee in the Body Shop some years ago. He literally followed me around, commenting on each and every item i either looked at, picked up, etc. I finally left without buying. as you said, small shop, so you can see everyone. but just let me browse thank you, and I'm happy.