Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1247130 times)

Virg

• Super Hero!
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5250 on: December 27, 2013, 02:52:21 PM »
mmswm wrote:

"It's not like they're in different areas and drawing from a different population for employees.  Yet, the level of knowledge and service between the two stores is night and day."

The difference is almost certainly in management.  The store manager of your Macy's is likely not very good at the job where the Bloomingdale's manager is, and attitude reflects leadership very strongly in retail.

Virg

GreenHall

« Reply #5251 on: December 27, 2013, 02:59:16 PM »
I have a fairly athletic body type and I also hate skinny jeans.  too low, too tight, just shaped oddly for actual body types.  Just because they are skinny jeans doesn't mean that I want half of my behind hanging out.  If I size for my hips, I end up with a gap at the back.  If I size my thighs, I end up looking like a stuffed sausage at the waist.

So far Old Navy are the only ones who have skinny jeans that fit...somewhat

Regarding the gap at the back, have you tried any curvy fit jeans?  Levi's apparently makes curvy fit for both skinny (boo) and bootcut (yay). I think one or two other styles too, but was really only looking for bootcut. 

I need to (1) take the time and associated frustration to shop for jeans and find something that fits comfortably and well (rather than saying "good enough" to an online purchase); and(2) see if anyone makes jeans without spandex in them these days.  If they fit to start with, they don't once I've moved about a bit...  >:(

cwm

« Reply #5252 on: December 27, 2013, 03:14:47 PM »
I have a fairly athletic body type and I also hate skinny jeans.  too low, too tight, just shaped oddly for actual body types.  Just because they are skinny jeans doesn't mean that I want half of my behind hanging out.  If I size for my hips, I end up with a gap at the back.  If I size my thighs, I end up looking like a stuffed sausage at the waist.

Regarding the gap at the back, have you tried any curvy fit jeans?  Levi's apparently makes curvy fit for both skinny (boo) and bootcut (yay). I think one or two other styles too, but was really only looking for bootcut. 

I need to (1) take the time and associated frustration to shop for jeans and find something that fits comfortably and well (rather than saying "good enough" to an online purchase); and(2) see if anyone makes jeans without spandex in them these days.  If they fit to start with, they don't once I've moved about a bit...  >:(

The only place that I'm willing to shop for jeans any more is Bass Pro Shops. Their line of clothes (Natural Reflections) is comfortable, fits well, and lasts nearly forever. Also, their sizes make sense. If you're a 14 in one cut, you'll probably be 14 in another cut, and a 14 in a third cut as well. If you've got one near you, check it out, it's worth it. There's a gap on one pair, but only when I'm sitting down and leaning pretty far forward, and even then it's not too big.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #5253 on: December 27, 2013, 04:43:45 PM »

No I haven't.  I'll have to look into those. 

Firecat

« Reply #5254 on: December 28, 2013, 11:38:45 AM »

I've had really good luck with the Eddie Bauer curvy fit jeans. They cut the waist a size smaller than the hips, so they actually fit me really well.

Elisabunny

« Reply #5255 on: December 28, 2013, 01:22:01 PM »

I've had really good luck with the Eddie Bauer curvy fit jeans. They cut the waist a size smaller than the hips, so they actually fit me really well.

L.L. Bean curvy fit are good too.
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5256 on: December 28, 2013, 02:06:24 PM »
Thanks guys!!

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #5257 on: December 29, 2013, 08:59:27 AM »
Second that thanks!  I have been having that same problem for years!  I didn't know they made such things as curvy jeans.

Curvy jeans, precious, what's curvy jeans?
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Snooks

« Reply #5258 on: December 29, 2013, 12:52:03 PM »
Levi's curvy jeans in the UK are a total bust.  They only had one pair in the store I went to and I couldn't get them done up despite wearing the size their sales person had just measured me as being.

GreenHall

« Reply #5259 on: December 29, 2013, 01:56:13 PM »
Levi's curvy jeans in the UK are a total bust.  They only had one pair in the store I went to and I couldn't get them done up despite wearing the size their sales person had just measured me as being.

The very first time I tries curvy jeans, I had to go up about 3 sizes from normal, and still thought they were not going over my rump.  Then they were on, and beautiful.  Then I reduced stress in my life, and my digestive system stopped rebelling, and I outgrew them very quickly.  I haven't been able to find that particular style since.  (I'm willing to play with sizes, but do see how it could be off putting to have to jump so many sizes.)

I would also point out that I would NOT describe myself as curvy.  The sales person asked if I got the gap in the back, and urged the style on me.

Mary Lennox

« Reply #5260 on: December 29, 2013, 02:06:50 PM »
I was shopping around for a gym membership a couple of months ago. It's got down to a choice of 2 - one had the opening hours I liked, the other had the group class schedule I liked. The second gym gave me a really good deal, so I joined them.

A few days later I got a call from the first gym, asking if I'd made a decision on membership. I told them I'd gone with the other place and the girl proceeded to tell me all the horror stories she'd heard about them and to make sure I checked a,b and c on their contract etc. Because, clearly, the best way to get me to join your gym is to be unprofessional enough to talk smack about the competition!

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5261 on: December 29, 2013, 02:16:45 PM »
I was shopping around for a gym membership a couple of months ago. It's got down to a choice of 2 - one had the opening hours I liked, the other had the group class schedule I liked. The second gym gave me a really good deal, so I joined them.

A few days later I got a call from the first gym, asking if I'd made a decision on membership. I told them I'd gone with the other place and the girl proceeded to tell me all the horror stories she'd heard about them and to make sure I checked a,b and c on their contract etc. Because, clearly, the best way to get me to join your gym is to be unprofessional enough to talk smack about the competition!

Thank you!  It boggles my mind that people would do this.  If your product/shop/people are so great.  Talk about that, not smack about your competitor.  That makes me think poorly of YOU

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #5262 on: December 29, 2013, 04:13:42 PM »

Evans curvy jeans are fabulous. The only trouble is that they only go down to a 14 so you might well not be big enough.

half_dollars

« Reply #5263 on: December 30, 2013, 01:35:13 AM »

Thank you!  It boggles my mind that people would do this.  If your product/shop/people are so great.  Talk about that, not smack about your competitor.  That makes me think poorly of YOU

We were shopping for a new car, test driving a Toyota 4 Runner.  We wanted the rear window open/close option, but didn't want a Sequioa, a and I had remembered the front seats feeling tight/closed in on the older 4 Runners, so we wanted to see if the newly remodeled ones felt more open.  The saleswoman asked what else we were looking at, and we mentioned a few other vehicles.  She started bad-mouthing each and every vehicle we stated-the quality was bad, too many recalls, poor customer service, etc.

In my defense, I had just returned from a business trip overseas and was tired beyond belief but needed to get back onto USA time, so I was out and about so I wouldn't go to sleep.  We had no intention of purchasing a car that day.  But, we knew we would be needing a new car within the year, so it wasn't just a "hey, let's test drive vehicles"-we were trying to narrow down what we really liked and disliked.

I turned to the saleswoman and asked her why I should buy a Toyota when they had-and proceeded to list all the vehicle quality issues they had with their trucks and SUVs (that I knew of, at least).  Now, at the time, I was working as a design engineer for Toyota, and knew they had not passed quality checks with some of their suppliers for the latest model year that was going into production.  I also knew of the current model year truck/SUV quality issues.  I didn't get mention I was a design engineer before she interrupted me to tell me those issues were totally untrue and I shouldn't believe everything I read on the internet.

Yes.  The saleswoman told me I didn't know what I was talking about.  I looked at DH, in total shock, and we simply turned and walked a way.

On our way out, another salesman asked why we decided to not test drive the 4 Runner.  Apparently, he saw us walking towards the cars and turn around before we test drove the vehicle.  We explained our conversation with the saleswoman, and mentioned that the sales associates might not want to tell their customers they didn't know what they were talking about.  By this time, the original saleswoman caught up to us and asked why we were leaving, we didn't test drive the car, here's my card for you to request me when you come back.  So, I turned to her and told her that I was a Toyotal design engineer and did know about the quality issues the vehicles were having, here's MY business card, she would not get a sale from us because of the way she treated us, and she should really learn what to say and not say when she's looking to make a sale/earn her commission.  The salesman apologized profusely, but the saleswoman, well, I've truly never seen anyone frozen speechless with their mouth hanging wide open.

We did not buy a car from her.  We did email the manager, who did promptly apologize and offer to set us up with his top salesman, but since we weren't planning on buying a car that day, we never did take him up on that offer.

We did wonder what her motivation was.  Did she felt she had to "prove" herself because she was a woman (and I hate that some people have that mentality-that if you're a female, you know nothing about cars)?  Was she new and just really pushing for a sale?  But, seriously, who honestly thinks this is a way to get business?

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #5264 on: December 30, 2013, 08:42:34 AM »

We were shopping for a new car, test driving a Toyota 4 Runner.  We wanted the rear window open/close option, but didn't want a Sequioa, a and I had remembered the front seats feeling tight/closed in on the older 4 Runners, so we wanted to see if the newly remodeled ones felt more open.  The saleswoman asked what else we were looking at, and we mentioned a few other vehicles.  She started bad-mouthing each and every vehicle we stated-the quality was bad, too many recalls, poor customer service, etc.

In my defense, I had just returned from a business trip overseas and was tired beyond belief but needed to get back onto USA time, so I was out and about so I wouldn't go to sleep.  We had no intention of purchasing a car that day.  But, we knew we would be needing a new car within the year, so it wasn't just a "hey, let's test drive vehicles"-we were trying to narrow down what we really liked and disliked.

I turned to the saleswoman and asked her why I should buy a Toyota when they had-and proceeded to list all the vehicle quality issues they had with their trucks and SUVs (that I knew of, at least).  Now, at the time, I was working as a design engineer for Toyota, and knew they had not passed quality checks with some of their suppliers for the latest model year that was going into production.  I also knew of the current model year truck/SUV quality issues.  I didn't get mention I was a design engineer before she interrupted me to tell me those issues were totally untrue and I shouldn't believe everything I read on the internet.

Yes.  The saleswoman told me I didn't know what I was talking about.  I looked at DH, in total shock, and we simply turned and walked a way.

On our way out, another salesman asked why we decided to not test drive the 4 Runner.  Apparently, he saw us walking towards the cars and turn around before we test drove the vehicle.  We explained our conversation with the saleswoman, and mentioned that the sales associates might not want to tell their customers they didn't know what they were talking about.  By this time, the original saleswoman caught up to us and asked why we were leaving, we didn't test drive the car, here's my card for you to request me when you come back.  So, I turned to her and told her that I was a Toyotal design engineer and did know about the quality issues the vehicles were having, here's MY business card, she would not get a sale from us because of the way she treated us, and she should really learn what to say and not say when she's looking to make a sale/earn her commission.  The salesman apologized profusely, but the saleswoman, well, I've truly never seen anyone frozen speechless with their mouth hanging wide open.

We did not buy a car from her.  We did email the manager, who did promptly apologize and offer to set us up with his top salesman, but since we weren't planning on buying a car that day, we never did take him up on that offer.

We did wonder what her motivation was.  Did she felt she had to "prove" herself because she was a woman (and I hate that some people have that mentality-that if you're a female, you know nothing about cars)?  Was she new and just really pushing for a sale?  But, seriously, who honestly thinks this is a way to get business?

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot...just wow.

I think I've posted this before, but here it is any way. I was shopping for a new car and the sales guy wouldn't answer any of my questions.  All he kept doing was asking to talk to my father or husband.  Well even if my dad lived here and I were married (single at the time), you still would need to talk to me...you know, about the car I wanted to purchase with MY money. 

He pissed me off so bad, I went across the street to the competition and purchased a new car.  Not once was I asked to call my daddy, husband, or brother.  The sales guy there knew I was fuming from the guy across the street, so to have some fun, he called him and thanked him for another sale from another lovely young woman.  It was all I could do not to fall out of the chair laughing.  Apparently, this dealership had made a ton of sales from this Donkey totally ticking of every women who stepped foot on the property.  Even while I was there, a couple other women stormed over from the place and one of them did have her husband with her.

I don't know if I've posted this one or not, but at a repair shop, I stopped in to get my oil changed and tires rotated.  I think I had one of those $14.99 or $19.99 coupon specials.  The guy proceeds to tell me I need this really expensive repair that I just had done not even a month before for more than twice what I paid to have the repair done.  After I told him that, he came back I tried to tell me I needed my ignition valves/fuel injectors cleaned and my air filter replaced to the tune of $150.00, $45.00 just for the air filter, the rest being labor.  At that point I started laughing and launched into to him, starting with that the most expensive air filter for my car was $11.99, involved a few screws, and the guy at the auto part place would put it on for free. Secondly, he was totally mad if he thought I was going to pay him that to clean my ignition valves/fuel injectors when a bottle of Seafoam for $10.99 dumped into my gas tank would clear up any gunk in no time (my mechanic did confirm that that was not anything at all wrong with them and it was a totally bogus repair).  I got a bit loud  ::) and every women in the place heard me, then started in on this guy. He pulled this poopadities on the entire room of women and to say they were mad is the understatement of the century.  I ended up taking my car to my regular mechanic for a bit more and he got a lot of referrals to all the other women that were there (he hated when places pulled poopadities like that on women).
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah