Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1250673 times)

Redsoil

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5265 on: December 31, 2013, 02:29:55 AM »
Good Lord...who on earth ARE these blokes who treat women this way?  I'm just stunned.  It's not the 1950s - why regress to that thought pattern?  I honestly don't get this at all - it's just absolutely foreign to me!
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

mmswm

« Reply #5266 on: December 31, 2013, 02:38:57 AM »
Good Lord...who on earth ARE these blokes who treat women this way?  I'm just stunned.  It's not the 1950s - why regress to that thought pattern?  I honestly don't get this at all - it's just absolutely foreign to me!

As a woman who's into "manly" things like math and auto mechanics, I can tell you these blokes are everywhere.  I run into those attitudes far more often than I care to recount.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Tirial & Errror blog
« Reply #5267 on: December 31, 2013, 02:59:40 AM »

As a woman who's into "manly" things like math and auto mechanics, I can tell you these blokes are everywhere.  I run into those attitudes far more often than I care to recount.
Try our local car showroom. I was looking for a car this year, for an older male relative learning to drive. When the car salesman asked about a test drive and was told that I'd be driving since my relative didn't, he thought this was hilarious and walked into the showroom behind us to tell his mates so they could have a good laugh.

We didn't buy the car.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5268 on: December 31, 2013, 07:22:59 AM »
My friend told me that her nephew (well technically her sister's nephew by marriage) told her on Christmas that she needed to take him with her the next time she goes car shopping because it doesn't have 4WD on it.

They live in the Midwest, friend's had the car for 10 years and never had an accident, even when driving in snow and on ice, and icy snow.  When she told him he backed down and admitted he was just used to their vehicles that do have 4WD.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5269 on: December 31, 2013, 09:00:56 AM »
My friend told me that her nephew (well technically her sister's nephew by marriage) told her on Christmas that she needed to take him with her the next time she goes car shopping because it doesn't have 4WD on it.

They live in the Midwest, friend's had the car for 10 years and never had an accident, even when driving in snow and on ice, and icy snow.  When she told him he backed down and admitted he was just used to their vehicles that do have 4WD.

It is also a myth that 4WD/AWD is better while driving in snow or on ice.  It helps you get going from a stop but it doesn't help at all with steering or stopping - it reacts just like a FWD once you are moving.  And this is why you often see a lot of 4WD vehicles in the ditch on a nasty day - the driver thinks they have more traction and therefore, doesn't think s/he has to slow down as much as all the lowly 2WD vehicles.

And I say this as an AWD vehicle driver.   :)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #5270 on: December 31, 2013, 09:19:31 AM »
POD.  Most people I know use their 4WD so they can drive too fast for the conditions due to overconfidence in their own driving abilities.  Also to splash pedestrians with muck as they whip around corners.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5271 on: December 31, 2013, 09:22:09 AM »
I was saying to my friend, when she told me this, that a lot of people just don't seem to know how to drive in bad weather. Heck, I'll be the first to admit that I'm not good at driving on snow or ice.

Hubby, however, was taught by his mother how to drive on snow and ice, as she took him to an empty parking lot after it had snowed and there was ice and he learned just how to handle a vehicle in those conditions.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5272 on: December 31, 2013, 09:31:55 AM »
I was saying to my friend, when she told me this, that a lot of people just don't seem to know how to drive in bad weather. Heck, I'll be the first to admit that I'm not good at driving on snow or ice.

Hubby, however, was taught by his mother how to drive on snow and ice, as she took him to an empty parking lot after it had snowed and there was ice and he learned just how to handle a vehicle in those conditions.

I've actually done a winter driving course through work where they set up a skid pad and taught us how to handle it.  But if you don't go out and practice those skills regularly, you lose them.  There really are no big parking lots I could go to that wouldn't have quite a few cars except late at night and that doesn't work for my sleep schedule!

I find the best way to handle the winter driving conditions is:  If it is really nasty, stay put!  If you have to drive, drive slowly.  Top up your gas and your washer fluid before you head out and take an extra jug or two of washer fluid with you.  I always put in a heavy coat, my ski pants, extra hats and mitts and extra warm boots, just in case.  And I always carry an emergency candle and a blanket.  I must remember to get a new match container and throw in some wooden strike anywhere matches, since my new car doesn't have a cigarette lighter any more.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5273 on: December 31, 2013, 09:37:01 AM »
Yeah I'm the same way. If I don't have to go out, I just won't. 

If we have to be somewhere, DH drives because he is good at it and drives for a living. 

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #5274 on: December 31, 2013, 10:48:23 AM »

When I was in Kinder, it showed in Houston. My school district openned basically be cause it was very small geographically, you could get anywhere in it on surface roads and almost no bridges. Mom refused to allow anyone in the family to leave our street. Her argument was Houstonians had NO idea how to drive on even a dusting of snow and Ice. Dad's boss agreed and refused to send their trucks out that day. (Beer truck having an accident is always bad publicity with stupid jokes aobut the driver sampling the product.)

11 years later we had a deep freeze for Houston, where it stayed below freezing even after the sun was up. There had been no moisture, so my parents let me go pick up Cousin C and we went out for the day to a movie. We were going down Sage - not much traffic when the cars in front of us started slipping and sliding both directions. Someone had left their outside faucet dripping. But it wasn't over grass or a garden, but the cement driveway. The result was a sheet of ice basically the length of a 4 door car across all 4 lanes. I slowed the car as much as possible before the ice patch, steered the car straight over the ice. Thankfully no other car was crossing as I was, so I didn't get hit by them. I started flicking my Headlights on and off to warn on coming traffic. Cousin C and I met up with family for dinner that night. And she was telling them how all the adults couldn't handle the ice but I could. I was a newish driver, and got my driving privilages expanded that day.

Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

nuit93

« Reply #5275 on: December 31, 2013, 12:02:27 PM »

It is also a myth that 4WD/AWD is better while driving in snow or on ice.  It helps you get going from a stop but it doesn't help at all with steering or stopping - it reacts just like a FWD once you are moving.  And this is why you often see a lot of 4WD vehicles in the ditch on a nasty day - the driver thinks they have more traction and therefore, doesn't think s/he has to slow down as much as all the lowly 2WD vehicles.

And I say this as an AWD vehicle driver.   :)

Yep.  Front wheel drive is suitable most of the time, helps to have manual transmission (I drive a compact, FWD, 5spd).  I figure if I can't manage the roads in it, I have no business going out.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5276 on: December 31, 2013, 01:51:45 PM »
I love my stick, too.  Stick, AWD and snow tires?  If I can't get going, they should declare a state of emergency and declare that only emergency vehicles are allowed on the roads.

The key is that once you get going, drive according to conditions.  I heard on the radio on the way home that a stretch of highway just north of me was experiencing near whiteout conditions due to blowing snow and there was a vehicle that had rolled.  I'm willing to bet it was an SUV.  I'll have to watch the local evening news and see.
Ontario

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5277 on: December 31, 2013, 02:21:04 PM »
Outdoor Girl wrote:

"It is also a myth that 4WD/AWD is better while driving in snow or on ice.  It helps you get going from a stop but it doesn't help at all with steering or stopping - it reacts just like a FWD once you are moving."

All wheel drive will make the car more controllable in certain conditions, and one of those conditions is driving in unplowed snow (the others are things like sand or loose mud, but I figure if you're mudding you already know more about handling your vehicle than the average commuter).  No drive train is better than any other at stopping, though, and I agree that it's easy to let yourself get overconfident when you step on the gas in the vehicle goes when the cars around you are having trouble getting started.

"I heard on the radio on the way home that a stretch of highway just north of me was experiencing near whiteout conditions due to blowing snow and there was a vehicle that had rolled.  I'm willing to bet it was an SUV."

This isn't just because SUV drivers are worse at driving, it's due to the vehicle.  In exactly the same accident, an SUV is more likely to overturn than a regular car because it's got a higher center of gravity.  I've seen plenty of sedans slid off into the snowbanks when the weather turns.  Still, your advice to drive for the road condition, no matter what you're driving, is very wise and I wish more people would follow it.

Virg

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5278 on: December 31, 2013, 02:28:59 PM »
Can winter driving advice get a spinoff?  :-\ I like the bad business topic!

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5279 on: December 31, 2013, 02:46:12 PM »
Yvaine wrote:

"Can winter driving advice get a spinoff?"

I see what you did there.  ;D

Virg