Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1136683 times)

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5310 on: January 04, 2014, 03:36:29 PM »

I would not have left a $1000 deposit on anything I wasn't sure I couldn't get back or apply on another deal, etc.  But I disagree that I held up a sale or that the dealership had the right to deposit my check. 

They absolutely had the right to deposit it, because that's the whole point of a deposit. A deposit holds the item so that the vendor can not sell it to anyone else on the understanding that you will come back and pay the full purchase price at a later date. You then changed your mind about the purchase.  In the time they had your deposit, they couldn't sell it to anyone else. They lost the potential to sell that item for the time they had your deposit, and that's what the deposit is to indemnify them against; whether it's one business day or ten isn't really the issue. So, you're really lucky you got it back.

If of course the sale doesn't go through through a fault on the seller's end, then you have every right to get your deposit back.

The problem is that they deposited the check after the deal was dead. There was no reason for them to deposit it since they had the car available to sell. If they had deposited the check immediately, then you'd have a case, but not in this situation. Cashing a "deposit" check when there is no deal underway is simply fraud.

Exactly, not to mention two weeks after you'd agreed to shred it.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5311 on: January 04, 2014, 08:07:24 PM »
Will not be ordering anything from anyone that ships UPS.  Item 1 was supposedly delivered to our home on the 27th of December " left at or near front door".  We were home all day and there was/is no package delivered.  Item 2 was supposedly delivered today, once again left "at or near front door".

I hate it when there's no indication of how it's going to ship then you get the email that cheerfully proclaims "We have shipped your item using the courier company who won't bother knocking on your door and will make it impossible for you to collect your parcel.  Thanks for shopping with us!"

That is FedEx for us. They try to deliver the package once, mid-day. They will never put it on a truck again. I hate using FedEx.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #5312 on: January 04, 2014, 08:30:46 PM »
I'm sure someone's mentioned Lasership somewhere earlier in the thread.  If I could avoid using them, I would. On *multiple* occasions, delivery of my package was delayed because their truck broke down.

BB-VA

« Reply #5313 on: January 04, 2014, 09:15:36 PM »
Will not be ordering anything from anyone that ships UPS.  Item 1 was supposedly delivered to our home on the 27th of December " left at or near front door".  We were home all day and there was/is no package delivered.  Item 2 was supposedly delivered today, once again left "at or near front door".

I hate it when there's no indication of how it's going to ship then you get the email that cheerfully proclaims "We have shipped your item using the courier company who won't bother knocking on your door and will make it impossible for you to collect your parcel.  Thanks for shopping with us!"

That is FedEx for us. They try to deliver the package once, mid-day. They will never put it on a truck again. I hate using FedEx.

FedEx at my house doesn't even bother to knock.  They just slap the sticky note on the door and leave. 

My husband is here all day, every day.  They have no excuse to do that.
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5314 on: January 04, 2014, 09:25:29 PM »
^ Oh, that would aggravate me to no end.

I am not patronizing Wal-mart for as long as possible. I sent an email to corporate for Wal-mart recommending they visit the stores in the less prosperous areas of my city in the evening. The stores are filthy, with carts filling the lots. Half of the self-checkout lanes are out of order and all but one of the regular lanes were closed.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #5315 on: January 05, 2014, 03:42:33 AM »
Gah, don't get me started on FedEx. The one time I have used them they slapped a "This is your third and final notice" slip on your door the first time they came by, and then when I called to have it deliveredt o my work instead, ended up delievering it at a wrong address (as in majorly wrong. Not even remotely similar to the address I'd actually given them) so I had to go on a wild goose chase after it.

I got the parcel in the end, but what a hassle! Never again. Which also means I no longer shop at amazon.com, as they use FedEx when shipping to Denmark. Amazon.co.uk is cheaper anyway :-)

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #5316 on: January 05, 2014, 04:22:28 AM »
Awwwww...and I got a cheerful wave from a FedEx driver as he drove past me when I was standing next to the parking lot the other day. I wonder if he was the guy who delivered my Blu-Ray by putting it *under* the welcome mat right before Christmas?

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #5317 on: January 06, 2014, 09:28:06 AM »
Chiming in here on deliveries or lack thereof...

I ordered two photo books for grandparents to be delivered to my post office box because direct shipping was not possible.  I tracked the packages via US Postal service to my post office on a Monday morning.  Thinking said package would be put in my box Tuesday - nope, nor Wednesday or Thursday.  Friday morning I was at post office before they opened, when I asked about retrieving said package I was told they had bins and bins of packages to put in boxes and they could not search for mine. When it still wasn't in my box by 4:30 on Friday I asked again and clerk went to look and came right back with it (like in 2 minutes).  She said they were overwhelmed with the Christmas shipping and were trying to get everything in the correct po boxes by the weekend.

I love my local post office and I go there daily, I've never had a problem at this one (won't even visit the one downtown!).  I am not a SS or much of a complainer - but really - they knew Christmas was coming right?  Why in the world didn't they hire on extra help for the holidays? I have never heard of packages piling up like they did there this year.  I feel for them, truly, overall I think the postal service does a fine job - sure we all hear of nightmare situations but this is the sort of thing that gets the attention of media and such - poor planning.   

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5318 on: January 06, 2014, 10:44:48 AM »
perpetua wrote:

"They absolutely had the right to deposit it, because that's the whole point of a deposit."

You're again ignoring the fact that they said they'd return it.  That's the only relevant point, both for ethics and etiquette.  Once they did that, they absolutely did not have the right to deposit it.  Just look at the sales manager's reaction to one of his employees doing this for an indication about how the dealership feels about what happened.

Virg

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5319 on: January 06, 2014, 12:09:31 PM »
I love my local post office and I go there daily, I've never had a problem at this one (won't even visit the one downtown!).  I am not a SS or much of a complainer - but really - they knew Christmas was coming right?  Why in the world didn't they hire on extra help for the holidays? I have never heard of packages piling up like they did there this year.  I feel for them, truly, overall I think the postal service does a fine job - sure we all hear of nightmare situations but this is the sort of thing that gets the attention of media and such - poor planning.   

I don't know too much about government jobs, but from what I heard (which  may or may not be true), the post office is losing money so they try to have the minimum of workers.  Yet, when Christmas comes, they can't just call the employment agency for temps because it's a government job.  I don't know if they have a pool of laid-off workers they could have used though.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5320 on: January 06, 2014, 12:22:40 PM »
...    the post office is losing money so they try to have the minimum of workers.  Yet, when Christmas comes, they can't just call the employment agency for temps because it's a government job.  I don't know if they have a pool of laid-off workers they could have used though.

Ironic isn't it?  They laid off workers because they were losing money, yet by using so few workers that they couldn't get packages delivered in anything even remotely close to a timely fashion, they incur the hostility of the people who still were using postal services and that will translate into even fewer future customers and ultimately even more P.O. layoffs.  It's circular cause and effect.

hjaye

« Reply #5321 on: January 06, 2014, 01:23:23 PM »
...    the post office is losing money so they try to have the minimum of workers.  Yet, when Christmas comes, they can't just call the employment agency for temps because it's a government job.  I don't know if they have a pool of laid-off workers they could have used though.

Ironic isn't it?  They laid off workers because they were losing money, yet by using so few workers that they couldn't get packages delivered in anything even remotely close to a timely fashion, they incur the hostility of the people who still were using postal services and that will translate into even fewer future customers and ultimately even more P.O. layoffs.  It's circular cause and effect.

Actually the collective bargaining agreement that the Post Office has with it's union prevents layoffs.  That's part of their problem, their mail volume is down over 20% from a few years ago, but they are not allowed to lay off full time employees.  They are trying to reduce the number of postal workers by over 200,000.  A lot of this would be through attrition and just not filling the jobs of the workers that retire, but there are about 120,000 that would be through layoffs, they have to get Congress to approve this.  I'm not sure how Congress can grant the right to lay aside a collective bargaining agreement, but I guess they can figure it all out.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 04:49:02 PM by hjaye »

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #5322 on: January 06, 2014, 01:24:44 PM »
UPS wasn't really endearing themselves to lots of people over the holiday season, either.  And they *do* hire extra people for the season.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #5323 on: January 06, 2014, 03:16:38 PM »
The weather had a big share in the delivery issues - and the weather has only gotten worse with the current arctic front going through the northeast in the USA & Canada...there are cities where it is currently illegal to drive unless you are seeking shelter or medical attention (per news flash at lunch - Houston is NOT buried under snow - but it is a good deal colder than usual even this far south).
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Amara

« Reply #5324 on: January 06, 2014, 03:45:17 PM »
One year when I was unemployed I applied for one of those temporary seasonal jobs at UPS and got hired. We were told that some of us would be put to work almost immediately and others would only get a few hours close to Christmas. It just depended on the office and their needs.

I wasn't called until about December 20, and I worked a total of about fifteen hours. What does my paycheck turn out to be? $2.43. Yup, you read that right. I turned right around and drove back, and the manager looked extremely exasperated. He said, "What do you want?" I want to be paid for the hours I worked!" I cried.

Later, I told my regular UPS guy about this and he nodded. Apparently, the drivers check their pay because everyone has to work so fast that mistakes like this are more than common. I certainly had my view of UPS altered considerably--and it wasn't on the favorable side.