Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1109925 times)

Rose

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5325 on: January 06, 2014, 04:54:50 PM »
I was at a large chain drugstore we'll call "W" yesterday.  There was an aisle with large signs saying Holiday Giftwrap and Bags 75% off.  I celebrate the purple holiday not the BIG holiday, and was surprised to see that there were gift bags for the purple holiday.  I chose several thinking I'd save them for next year.  I got to the register and the bags were ringing up full price.  The cashier said they were full price, no discount.  I asked her to suspend the sale and call a manager.  The manager arrived and told me that "Holiday" means "Christmas" at W.  Needless to say I called the corporate office. The head manager did call the next day and apologized, but I'm done with W.

Jocelyn

« Reply #5326 on: January 06, 2014, 06:08:26 PM »
I was at a large chain drugstore we'll call "W" yesterday.  There was an aisle with large signs saying Holiday Giftwrap and Bags 75% off.  I celebrate the purple holiday not the BIG holiday, and was surprised to see that there were gift bags for the purple holiday.  I chose several thinking I'd save them for next year.  I got to the register and the bags were ringing up full price.  The cashier said they were full price, no discount.  I asked her to suspend the sale and call a manager.  The manager arrived and told me that "Holiday" means "Christmas" at W.  Needless to say I called the corporate office. The head manager did call the next day and apologized, but I'm done with W.
Did the head manager offer any remedy, or state that the store manager was in error? Or was it just 'sorry you were upset'? 

Rose

« Reply #5327 on: January 08, 2014, 12:30:00 PM »
The main manager offered me a gift card and offered  to hold the merchandise I was trying to buy (it was gone).  He stated the offending assistant manager will be calling with an apology and that some training will be scheduled.  It has been several days and I have not received an apology from the assistant manager.  I have not, and probably will not, pick up the gift card.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5328 on: January 08, 2014, 12:49:18 PM »
Not that I have any choice, but anything shipped via Fed Ex Smart Post. This is my second issue with them. First time, i had a package coming, unfortunately, right around the time I went on vacation. I get back, and no package. So I start calling. Fed Ex says you ahve to speak to USPS as that is who delivers it. Ok fine, and I see by trakcing number, it was delivered on x date. But i don't have it.

I first tried to call the general USPS line, got stuck in phone tree hell, and hung up after waiting 15 minutes for a human. later called my local PO, who was not at all helpful, and told me call this other number. Which turned out to be the carrierannex. Oh, you need to speak to the CARRIER. who wasn't there but would call me back.

No call was ever forthcoming, so I finally ended up calling the company I had ordered from, and in less than 5 minutes, they had credited my account (items no longer available) and said THEY would open a claim with the PO. Fine. I suspect we had a sub carrier, who delivered to the WRONG apt, and whoever got it, simply kept it, since my neighbor downstairs brings in my stuff when I'm not around.

Second time, same company, and I've been having things sent to my office. I will admit, my error was I did NOT put the company name, just my name and address. However, we get mail here every day.  As of 10:03 this am, out for delivery. 10:26 "returned to shipper as undeliverable" Really?? So I call the PO, oh, you need a number from Fed Ex (mind you the tracking number is the same throughout the entire process). But I do, and they say no, you use the same one.  I call back the PO, who then says, oh, you need to speak to the carrier, call back before 8am or after 6pm. Seriously?

I suspect what may have happened is the carrier tried to deliver to one of the companies on another floor (my bldg is small, we have 2 floors, and 2 others on the third), not large at all, and was told, due to NO company name, sorry, no one here by that name. But rather than actually TRY and figure out if there's another company, they simply said, oh she isn't here so we will return it to shipper. I get that leaving that off was my mistake, but it woudl have taken them another minute or so to try and figure it ot 

So again, I had to call CS at the company i bought from, who fixed my address, and will re-send it once they receive it back. I am so over the USPS, at least in my area. They don't quite seem to know what they're doing, or want to make any extra effort. they were IN the building.

UPDATE:::::: so I get a call from my mailroom today. My package has arrived. On it, it has my company name written in marker, with a question mark, so i think my theory was correct. but even so, given that the "other" mail carrier had to walk past reception which is my company only, i don't know why they simply didn't stop and ask.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 09:58:06 AM by siamesecat2965 »

TeamBhakta

« Reply #5329 on: January 18, 2014, 06:39:37 PM »
BG: 12 years ago, a fudge shop opened in my town. The fudge was gloppy, melting, grainy, sloppy, overly sweet & messy. The shop had no AC running (in the summer). The air inside was dry, dusty and humid. The fudge was displayed in a glass jewelry counter. And I don't mean in an attractive way, either. It looked like some construction workers had decided "Well, let's leave our plastic wrapped food in this spot while we work outside." The shop owner was not very friendly at all. She also sold a lot of crappy tchotchkes I had no use for. I decided after some yucky samples I would not return to the shop again. I don't think the fudge shop was open but a few months.

Today one of my co-workers sent me an email about "My friend had a fudge business until the economy went sour. Now she's trying to build it back up again. Go to XYZ Street today & she'll be there giving you free samples to try. Buy some if you like it. It tastes really good! Tell her I sent you. (description of fudge flavors)..." So I drive over to XYZ Street. There were two people in parkas standing next to an open minivan trunk and a card table of candy packets. I thought, "Wait, we had a really awful fudge shop here years ago. I hope it isn't the same shop owner!" I parked the car, walked towards the table & only one person turned around to greet me. Turns out the candy lady is a manager from my job; she is not my manager, but she reports to my boss and is not nice to me. She's a real pain in the butt! Had I known it was her business, I would not have driven out there.  :P

She gave me a teeny sample of her fudge; it was smaller than a tooth. Her candy was gloppy, low quality and disappointing. I only bought a packet of fudge to be polite; if she was a complete stranger, I would've either been politely honest or feigned not having any money on hand. When I got home, I googled her name and found out she was the same owner I'd met years ago. Bad economy, my foot  ::) Also, I realized on the way home that my co-worker had mentioned a few weeks ago "I don't have any friends at all."  ???

I will run screaming next time someone tells me "A fudge shop is opening in our town."

CakeBeret

« Reply #5330 on: January 18, 2014, 06:50:22 PM »
The new Italian place in town.

My largish suburb is sadly lacking in non-chain restaurant options, so I was pretty darn delighted when an independent Italian restaurant opened up. They were offering a Groupon, so DH and I got one and went in for date night.

It was the worst Italian of my life. DH ordered Chicken Alfredo. Rather than, you know, ALFREDO, they served him pasta dressed with Italian seasoning and oil. Not a speck of cream or Parmesan to be had. There was so much oil and no flavor.

I had the Chicken Carbonara. Rather than pasta tossed with egg and cheese, I was served a mass of plain pasta topped with...brown sauce. Flavorless, unidentifiable brown sauce. No amount of salt could bring out any flavor.

The chicken was just as awful as the sauces, unseasoned and cooked into oblivion.

The owner was an incredibly nice, likable guy, so I have to wonder how he's failed to notice what his chef is producing.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Hillia

« Reply #5331 on: January 18, 2014, 10:33:42 PM »
I've never been here, but never will.

I go to knitting classes at a shop which is located in a small business block.  About half the block is occupied by an Italian restaurant, which is owned by the owners of the block itself.  At one class I mentioned that we were looking for a good Italian restaurant and were thinking of trying the one in the block.  Several people started laughing, and recommended against it.  Aside from mediocre to poor food at high prices, the owner of the restaurant:
1.  Refuses service to anyone without a reservation, even if the restaurant is completely empty.  He will literally make you step outside and call him for a reservation for that evening before seating you.
2.  Refuses to provide take-home containers; if you don't finish your food,too bad
3.  Accepts only cash.  I realize this is a valid business decision that many small businesses make, but they don't provide adequate notice of the policy (they tell you after you've been seated), nor is there a conveniently located atm anywhere near.  Most places I've been to that are cash only either have an atm in the business itself, or can direct you to one nearby.

add this to the fact that it's closed for 6 months each year while the owners winter in Florida, and you have to wonder if they are deliberately trying to lose money.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

TeamBhakta

« Reply #5332 on: January 19, 2014, 12:04:24 AM »
Sounds like some of the questionable businesses in this past thread. It's probably a front for something shady:
http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=43143.0

deadbody

« Reply #5333 on: January 19, 2014, 10:43:47 AM »

I go to knitting classes at a shop which is located in a small business block.  About half the block is occupied by an Italian restaurant, which is owned by the owners of the block itself.  At one class I mentioned that we were looking for a good Italian restaurant and were thinking of trying the one in the block.  Several people started laughing, and recommended against it.  Aside from mediocre to poor food at high prices, the owner of the restaurant:
1.  Refuses service to anyone without a reservation, even if the restaurant is completely empty.  He will literally make you step outside and call him for a reservation for that evening before seating you.
2.  Refuses to provide take-home containers; if you don't finish your food,too bad
3.  Accepts only cash.  I realize this is a valid business decision that many small businesses make, but they don't provide adequate notice of the policy (they tell you after you've been seated), nor is there a conveniently located atm anywhere near.  Most places I've been to that are cash only either have an atm in the business itself, or can direct you to one nearby.

add this to the fact that it's closed for 6 months each year while the owners winter in Florida, and you have to wonder if they are deliberately trying to lose money.

If he owns the strip mall as well it could be that he isn't that interested in making a profit.   I know that is one of the things my wife and I talk about in the "If we won the lottery" discussions :)  Buy the strip mall, put in a business you would enjoy going to and run it.  There are IRS rules about how often a business has to be profitable, but if you own the mall you can shift rent payments around so that it is doable.

Hillia

« Reply #5334 on: January 19, 2014, 11:10:13 AM »

If he owns the strip mall as well it could be that he isn't that interested in making a profit.   I know that is one of the things my wife and I talk about in the "If we won the lottery" discussions :)  Buy the strip mall, put in a business you would enjoy going to and run it.  There are IRS rules about how often a business has to be profitable, but if you own the mall you can shift rent payments around so that it is doable.

I actually think this is closer to the truth.  I've also been told that the owners are incredibly rude and abrupt to anyone who isn't one of their personal friends, so I wonder if this is a way for them to entertain their friends and get tax advantages.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #5335 on: January 19, 2014, 01:53:14 PM »

]

Comic shop.  I would totally own a comic shop that also sells RPGs and computer games, but NO collectable card games.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #5336 on: January 20, 2014, 12:21:18 AM »

I actually think this is closer to the truth.  I've also been told that the owners are incredibly rude and abrupt to anyone who isn't one of their personal friends, so I wonder if this is a way for them to entertain their friends and get tax advantages.

As a consumer, that is really annoying.  Either run a business like a real business.  Or sit back and take checks to the bank.  None of this wishy washy stuff

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5337 on: January 20, 2014, 06:14:00 PM »
I think I'm going with a "two strikes and you're out" mentality for the Fantastic Sam's right down the street.  I've been there twice within the past three months to get my hair trimmed.  The first time, I waited over an hour and a half instead of the 30 minutes I was promised.  The lady who eventually cut my hair was mad about being called in early and butchered my layers, badly enough that I needed to go elsewhere and get them fixed.  Last Saturday, I decided to give them another try, since I hadn't been able to call my normal salon to get an appointment there.  Minimal waiting (maybe 5 minutes, if that), which I thought was a good sign.  I told the lady that I was trying to grow my hair out (I probably said that exact phrase four or five times!) and so I only wanted about half an inch cut off, and to have my layers cleaned up.  Apparently, this is code for "butcher my layers".  My top layer is now three to four inches shorter than my bottom layer, which, due to the total length of my hair, makes it look like I have a swatch of hair missing from the back of my head!  I didn't notice the issue until I got home, so don't really have a leg to stand on when it comes to complaining either.  I just won't go back; the cheaper prices do not make up for the lack of paying attention to what I want. 

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #5338 on: January 20, 2014, 08:03:42 PM »
Yeah - I gave up on the local place that does VorGuy's hair (family salon - they'll do men, women, children, teens, although I haven't seen too many two year olds....but I might not be going there when the kids are - as I go during the school day!).  I liked the place - but English as a second language got my hair cut too short too many times. 

I did research the haircuts for fine hair, long (rectangular) faces with high foreheads, over fifty, & wearing glasses - and printed off a couple of sample photos for the FIRST trip to Super Cuts trip just after the new year.  We'll see how it grows out - I've found if the hair cut still looks good two or three months later, without having to have more than the bangs (fringe) trimmed to keep it out of my glasses frames, then it was cut well and not just forced into shape with mousse and the blow dryer after being hacked off to a rough approximation of the correct cut.....

So far (two and a half weeks) it looks fine....
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 08:58:17 AM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #5339 on: January 20, 2014, 10:09:18 PM »
That's one thing I like about the place that cuts my hair:  It still looks good even when it's grown out.  It also doesn't matter who cuts it - the place is run by two cousins, and they're both excellent.  Plus, they've both cut my hair enough times over the years that all I have to say is, "The usual."  Their prices are good, too, so I'm definitely going back.