Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1272439 times)

deadbody

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5325 on: January 19, 2014, 10:43:47 AM »
I've never been here, but never will.

I go to knitting classes at a shop which is located in a small business block.  About half the block is occupied by an Italian restaurant, which is owned by the owners of the block itself.  At one class I mentioned that we were looking for a good Italian restaurant and were thinking of trying the one in the block.  Several people started laughing, and recommended against it.  Aside from mediocre to poor food at high prices, the owner of the restaurant:
1.  Refuses service to anyone without a reservation, even if the restaurant is completely empty.  He will literally make you step outside and call him for a reservation for that evening before seating you.
2.  Refuses to provide take-home containers; if you don't finish your food,too bad
3.  Accepts only cash.  I realize this is a valid business decision that many small businesses make, but they don't provide adequate notice of the policy (they tell you after you've been seated), nor is there a conveniently located atm anywhere near.  Most places I've been to that are cash only either have an atm in the business itself, or can direct you to one nearby.

add this to the fact that it's closed for 6 months each year while the owners winter in Florida, and you have to wonder if they are deliberately trying to lose money.

If he owns the strip mall as well it could be that he isn't that interested in making a profit.   I know that is one of the things my wife and I talk about in the "If we won the lottery" discussions :)  Buy the strip mall, put in a business you would enjoy going to and run it.  There are IRS rules about how often a business has to be profitable, but if you own the mall you can shift rent payments around so that it is doable.

Hillia

« Reply #5326 on: January 19, 2014, 11:10:13 AM »

I go to knitting classes at a shop which is located in a small business block.  About half the block is occupied by an Italian restaurant, which is owned by the owners of the block itself.  At one class I mentioned that we were looking for a good Italian restaurant and were thinking of trying the one in the block.  Several people started laughing, and recommended against it.  Aside from mediocre to poor food at high prices, the owner of the restaurant:
1.  Refuses service to anyone without a reservation, even if the restaurant is completely empty.  He will literally make you step outside and call him for a reservation for that evening before seating you.
2.  Refuses to provide take-home containers; if you don't finish your food,too bad
3.  Accepts only cash.  I realize this is a valid business decision that many small businesses make, but they don't provide adequate notice of the policy (they tell you after you've been seated), nor is there a conveniently located atm anywhere near.  Most places I've been to that are cash only either have an atm in the business itself, or can direct you to one nearby.

add this to the fact that it's closed for 6 months each year while the owners winter in Florida, and you have to wonder if they are deliberately trying to lose money.

If he owns the strip mall as well it could be that he isn't that interested in making a profit.   I know that is one of the things my wife and I talk about in the "If we won the lottery" discussions :)  Buy the strip mall, put in a business you would enjoy going to and run it.  There are IRS rules about how often a business has to be profitable, but if you own the mall you can shift rent payments around so that it is doable.

I actually think this is closer to the truth.  I've also been told that the owners are incredibly rude and abrupt to anyone who isn't one of their personal friends, so I wonder if this is a way for them to entertain their friends and get tax advantages.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #5327 on: January 19, 2014, 01:53:14 PM »

]

Comic shop.  I would totally own a comic shop that also sells RPGs and computer games, but NO collectable card games.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #5328 on: January 20, 2014, 12:21:18 AM »

I actually think this is closer to the truth.  I've also been told that the owners are incredibly rude and abrupt to anyone who isn't one of their personal friends, so I wonder if this is a way for them to entertain their friends and get tax advantages.

As a consumer, that is really annoying.  Either run a business like a real business.  Or sit back and take checks to the bank.  None of this wishy washy stuff

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5329 on: January 20, 2014, 06:14:00 PM »
I think I'm going with a "two strikes and you're out" mentality for the Fantastic Sam's right down the street.  I've been there twice within the past three months to get my hair trimmed.  The first time, I waited over an hour and a half instead of the 30 minutes I was promised.  The lady who eventually cut my hair was mad about being called in early and butchered my layers, badly enough that I needed to go elsewhere and get them fixed.  Last Saturday, I decided to give them another try, since I hadn't been able to call my normal salon to get an appointment there.  Minimal waiting (maybe 5 minutes, if that), which I thought was a good sign.  I told the lady that I was trying to grow my hair out (I probably said that exact phrase four or five times!) and so I only wanted about half an inch cut off, and to have my layers cleaned up.  Apparently, this is code for "butcher my layers".  My top layer is now three to four inches shorter than my bottom layer, which, due to the total length of my hair, makes it look like I have a swatch of hair missing from the back of my head!  I didn't notice the issue until I got home, so don't really have a leg to stand on when it comes to complaining either.  I just won't go back; the cheaper prices do not make up for the lack of paying attention to what I want. 

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #5330 on: January 20, 2014, 08:03:42 PM »
Yeah - I gave up on the local place that does VorGuy's hair (family salon - they'll do men, women, children, teens, although I haven't seen too many two year olds....but I might not be going there when the kids are - as I go during the school day!).  I liked the place - but English as a second language got my hair cut too short too many times. 

I did research the haircuts for fine hair, long (rectangular) faces with high foreheads, over fifty, & wearing glasses - and printed off a couple of sample photos for the FIRST trip to Super Cuts trip just after the new year.  We'll see how it grows out - I've found if the hair cut still looks good two or three months later, without having to have more than the bangs (fringe) trimmed to keep it out of my glasses frames, then it was cut well and not just forced into shape with mousse and the blow dryer after being hacked off to a rough approximation of the correct cut.....

So far (two and a half weeks) it looks fine....
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 08:58:17 AM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #5331 on: January 20, 2014, 10:09:18 PM »
That's one thing I like about the place that cuts my hair:  It still looks good even when it's grown out.  It also doesn't matter who cuts it - the place is run by two cousins, and they're both excellent.  Plus, they've both cut my hair enough times over the years that all I have to say is, "The usual."  Their prices are good, too, so I'm definitely going back. 

Jocelyn

« Reply #5332 on: January 20, 2014, 10:37:24 PM »
When it comes to bad haircuts, just sit down in the waiting area and refuse to pay. It is amazing how quickly they can figure out that they CAN do something about the situation. Even if the manager isn't working today.  >:D

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #5333 on: January 20, 2014, 11:41:23 PM »
I have attained the title of "that customer" when I get my hair cut.  Apparently, I have the kind of face and bone structure that makes people want to chop my hair off.  However, because of my hair texture, it's MORE work for me with a short cut than with longer hair.

I wear extensions and I used to get my hair cut at a different place.  They sold the salon to a new owner who butchered my hair exactly once.  After that I now get my hair trimmed and done at the salon that does my extensions.  It costs an arm and a leg, but at least I still have hair

z_squared82

« Reply #5334 on: January 21, 2014, 11:22:10 AM »
When I was in high school, my mother still paid to have my hair cut. She was tired of paying for the expensive salon, so she sent me somewhere like Super Cuts or something – it was cheap, it might have been a chain.

I have naturally curly hair. I need it cut in layers to allow it to curl best. I asked the stylist to do exactly what I already had, just an inch or two shorter.

I don’t know what she thought she saw when she looked at my hair before shampooing, but I came out with basically nothing trimmed off the back and extra layers in the front. I looked like a cocker spaniel; the only part that curled right was around my face. And she couldn’t be bothered to DRY my hair. I walked out with a mostly wet head.

Mom learned. I went back to the less cheap place.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #5335 on: January 21, 2014, 03:19:15 PM »
I'm going to bring my stylist a cupcake the next time I see her. Just because of her I don't have to deal with bad haircuts!

When I was younger my mom would just take me a Great Clips, because I didn't care much about my hair. Everytime they'd lecture me on using shampoo. Apparently the shampoo I was using was wrong and I really needed to buy their shampoo. I was like 12. I used the shampoo my mother bought. Usually they'd give up quick but one lady just kept on and on and on and on about it. For the entire hair cut. Finally I just broke down in tears because she kept saying I had bad hair, and I'd always have bad hair and it was because of my shampoo and I shouldn't even bother. I was maybe...14 at the time. She told she was done because she didn't cut "baby's hair", I walked out with a wet head, my mom stayed back and fought. True, it was nothing to cry over, but I was just a kid. And really I think anyone would start crying if you were forced to pay someone to tell you you had bad hair.

After that I didn't want to get my hair cut for the longest time so my mom decided to shell out the extra money and take me to a salon she'd gone too. I sat down and the stylist looked over my hair and asked me what kind of shampoo I used, I told her (ready for lecture) and she says "Hm, you know you have a lot of hair, but it's fine hair, so I think that shampoo is weighing it down, try to avoid anything that says it provides extra hydration or straightens hair, even though you have curly hair it just can't take it", she's been my stylist ever since. If I wanted a cut that just wouldn't work on me she'd tell me why it wouldn't work and suggest something better.

She's got her own shop now and I take everyone there. Imagine if Ms. You're wrong, your hair is wrong, everything about you is wrong, would've just explained things to me.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #5336 on: January 21, 2014, 03:21:37 PM »
Actually, I think that was Ms. On Commission.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5337 on: January 21, 2014, 03:51:10 PM »
Actually, I think that was Ms. On Commission.

Bingo!  *ding! ding! ding!*

"We don't make enough money for just cutting your hair, so we have an opportunity to earn a lot more money if we can persuade you to buy our salon's hideously overpriced products!"

Iris

« Reply #5338 on: January 21, 2014, 04:09:00 PM »
^ I had a similar experience with a beautician once. They really are their own worst enemy because it was my first, super treaty, birthday present visit and none of the considerable amount of money I've spent since then has gone to her or her salon.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Chip2

« Reply #5339 on: January 22, 2014, 02:41:30 PM »
Okay, an update to my BWW saga:

I ended up stranded in NY for a couple of days at the beginning of the month and there was one next door to my hotel. Well, I gave it a shot. The wings and service were good on the first try, so I went back the next day. Good food and service again. Okay, then....

So I'm back home and out with MsChip and have a hankering for wings, so we swing by our local franchise in hopes that it's improved in the years since I've been there. Service was decent, but the food didn't even compare to the one back east. Oh, well. Guess I'm stuck making my own wings.   ::)