Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1210337 times)

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5400 on: February 09, 2014, 05:10:22 PM »
I don't understand this.  Elf Mama had taken travel insurance for a cruise.  She could not take the cruise.

Travel Insurance pays Elf mamma, and recovers the cost, if it can, from the cruise company.

If your house burns down because the the next door neighbour's barbeque runs amuck, then you expect your insurance company to pay up. If they can get the money from the next door neighbour, jolly good luck to them, but that should have no bearing on weather they pay you out or not. 

The reason Elf Mama's cruise was cancelled is immaterial and the very real gripe she has, is with the Travel Insurance company not the cruise line

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5401 on: February 10, 2014, 12:01:52 PM »
Oh I wish I could say my internet provider. We are in an area with just one cable provider and ya'll know what happens when there's a monopoly. :P The internet went out Thursday and has been spotty since but there is no getting anyone on the phone to find out what's even going on or being done.  We tried Verizon but their customer service is a joke as well.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5402 on: February 10, 2014, 12:56:32 PM »
Carotte wrote:

"A pulsing red light could be more productive (probably, they should test it if it hasn't been done yet.). Corridors in red, emergency exits in green, bam, every one knows where to go."

Except the colorblind.  This sort of thing is why it's so hard to develop a truly universal alarm signaling system.

Still, I think the problem isn't that Elfmama's cruise didn't happen, it's that RCI dropped the ball in the cancelling of it, and having insurance just makes it easier for RCI to say, "too bad, so sad, file with your insurance."  Sure, Elfmama may get compensation from the insurance company, but unless RCI steps up, takes some responsibility for screwing up, and does something to win Elfmama back, she's not going to be booking any more RCI cruises in the future even if she does go on a cruise.  I can completely understand that, because her experience would leave me with the feeling that next time, they may screw up in some way that ruins my trip in a non-insured manner and they've shown no effort to make anything right themselves, so why take the chance?  After all, there are a lot of boats out there run by companies that haven't stuck it to her.

Virg

mumma to KMC

« Reply #5403 on: February 10, 2014, 01:10:36 PM »
Oh I wish I could say my internet provider. We are in an area with just one cable provider and ya'll know what happens when there's a monopoly. :P The internet went out Thursday and has been spotty since but there is no getting anyone on the phone to find out what's even going on or being done.  We tried Verizon but their customer service is a joke as well.

I may have mentioned it up thread, but our former ISP  was horrible. We paid a high speed  and really got dial up speeds most of the time. I work from home and that just wasn't acceptable, so we called them and were told they'd come out and look. After a look-see, we were told that it was the switchbox and they'd upgrade it. We gave them a year, nothing. We called about it, and were told there was nothing in their books and they'd have to come out and re-evaluate it. (This was a year of me having to do the bulk of my work at off peak hours, so that I could upload images and what not.)

We finally looked around at other options, which was staying with the  DSL provider or satellite, and we switched to satellite, even though we pay twice as much and have limited bandwidth. I'm glad we switched though, because even though I know we won't have internet during our summer tropical downpours, I can read a weather forecast and predict that (or know that from 3pm to 8pm are no go times for the internet).

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5404 on: February 10, 2014, 09:37:22 PM »
Well I did get a hold of someone today by choosing a different option on their phone menu and the woman was very helpful. She even said this was really more of a technical issue "but since the wait's a half hour, I'll see what I can do rather than make you wait."

Turns out our router is giving itself the silent treatment and as we rent the equipment from them, they'll come out and fix it for free.

Truly we don't usually have connection issues this bad, so I think it's that our area's not used to the weather we're getting.

I'm glad we have 4g on our phones at least.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #5405 on: February 10, 2014, 09:45:46 PM »
I replaced out wireless gateway (modem & router combined) over the last weekend - we leased it - so it was a relatively simple matter to disconnect it, take it to their store, and bring the new one home to reconnect & activate.

It still took over three hours - but that was due to the Houston traffic and the store having been relocated - with a map on the old store window that had no "north" arrow - so I knew it was either a southeast or northwest corner on a certain intersection.  But I had to check out both locations due to no street names, no north arrow, and no landmarks (seriously - marking a single restaurant, store, or something would have cut thirty minutes off the driving time in Friday night rush hour traffic).

Then the activation took longer than expected....but all was well.

And I know to check a location online for driving directions before leaving home because I have no data package to use the internet on my semi-smart phone.....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #5406 on: February 11, 2014, 06:38:39 PM »
I love RCI, we went away from them for our honeymoon.

Elfmama, you a member of cruise critic forums? Post it there in the RCI board.

And www.planetfeedback.com as well! Plus RedFlagDeals, they have forums for things like that

And don't forget the Twitter shaming!

SoCalVal

« Reply #5407 on: February 16, 2014, 06:59:29 PM »
I refuse to dine at the small coffee shop/restaurant in town because of one woman. I'm not sure if she's the owner, manager or just works a lot, but she always seems to be there. I've noticed that she's very particular about the customers that she waits on to the point that we have sat at our table for an extended amount of time without service because she refused to bring us menus, water/drinks, silverware citing that she wasn't our waitress and the other staff were busy. In the meantime, if someone she knows comes in, they're greeted and doted upon. Unfortunately I've also had issues with her when requesting something special (extra ranch) or asking that a mistake be fixed. She is very quick to point out that any mistakes are my fault. I must not have stated what I wanted clearly enough (no tomatoes) or that I need to read the menu more closely before I order. I'm sorry, but "italian marinated steak strips" =/= ground beef with diced olives and feta cheese no matter how you read it. The final straw for me was at the end of that meal when I ordered a chocolate chip cookie. Normally they're warmed up before they're served. I overheard her telling my waitress (who really was wonderful!) that she would take care of it. I got a cold cookie. Which was fine except that my waitress noticed and asked if I wanted it warmed. I assured her that a cookie was a cookie and I was fine. Rude woman stormed over, grabbed the cookie from my hand, slammed it onto my plate and took it to the kitchen to heat it up while muttering about how some people are never pleased. Needless to say, I refused to eat or pay for it after that which was another fight in itself. She claimed that I had ordered the cookie to go and that way why it hadn't been heated. She started screaming when I asked her why it was brought to me on a plate instead of a to-go bag. At this point, I'm not sure if I'm not really just considered banned from the establishment by her, but I know that I'll never voluntarily darken the door again.

A vegetarian friend refuses to go back after she was told that the veggie quiche was gone and that she "could pick the ham and bacon out of the ham, bacon and swiss quiche or just not eat". She had crackers while her companions ate and was able to watch the gentleman at the next table who had arrived after her be served the veggie quiche. It was the same lady.

There's a local Hawaiian BBQ chain whose one franchise I often frequent.  I would typically call in the order for pick-up.  Sometimes, I noticed my eggs would be incorrect, and I never said anything about them (I figured the cook just wasn't very good at doing eggs over-easy).  One day, I came to pick up my food, checked my eggs and they were wrong again (they were over-hard, rather than over-easy, and I really didn't want over-hard eggs).  I said I ordered my eggs over-easy.  This is where the interaction went a little awry.

The woman who took my order (who had been there for a year or so) INSISTED I had ordered my eggs scrambled.  I told her I did not as I *never* order them scrambled, ALWAYS over-easy and had, in fact, been ordering them that way for years -- always the same way, over-easy.  She actually argued with me about it, then turned to the cook and (in front of me and well-within my earshot) told the cook, "She ordered it wrong so you need to do the eggs again, over-easy."  I was a bit...perturbed...to say the least.  I received my order, done correctly, and the woman gave me the CA "Have a nice day" (aka our way of saying "f*** you").  I don't recall how I responded (didn't say anything nasty), but, when I got home, I got on Yelp and recounted the whole experience, detailing how I love the location and usually get awesome service, especially from one particular employee, but how in the future, when I call to place an order, if she answers, I'll just hang up and go without their food for that moment because I wasn't about to deal with her ever again (and that, I came to realize, my eggs only came out wrong when she was the one taking the order, never with any other employees).

So, a few months go by, and I call to order food, feeling a little tense that I'm going to get her.  I don't.  I feel a bit more confident so I order again a week or so later.  I don't get her.  Happens again a few weeks after that.  At this point, I realize that the woman likely does not work there anymore.  I never saw her there again.  I went back to Yelp and updated my review to add a star and state that the location has now improved (and my order has never been wrong again) because the woman seems to be gone (my original Yelp review was 4 stars instead of 5 specifically because of her; my subsequent review had 5 stars).

I wasn't the first person to post on Yelp about her so I'm thinking the owner finally had enough after I posted.  Can't say I ever felt bad about her disappearance from there as I couldn't believe she'd be as rude as she was about something as stupid as an order of eggs (two eggs, which cost, what, about $2 in product and labor?).  I couldn't believe someone would be that belligerent over that.  If she wanted to insist I was wrong (in her eyes), she could've corrected my order then had her say after I left, rather than be nasty about it in front of my face.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5408 on: February 16, 2014, 09:11:36 PM »
  I received my order, done correctly, and the woman gave me the CA "Have a nice day" (aka our way of saying "f*** you"). 

CA?

I guress it was flipoff attitude, and glad the woman is gone, but what does "CA" mean? Thanks.

By the way, I didn't know we could amend Yelp! Glad to know that.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #5409 on: February 16, 2014, 09:13:11 PM »
  I received my order, done correctly, and the woman gave me the CA "Have a nice day" (aka our way of saying "f*** you"). 

CA?

I guress it was flipoff attitude, and glad the woman is gone, but what does "CA" mean? Thanks.

I think SoCalVal meant California.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5410 on: February 16, 2014, 09:45:29 PM »

CA?

[/quote "

]

I think SoCalVal meant California.

Oh, dear! I hope not! In the midwest, "Have a nice day" means "Our interaction is finished. Goodby and have a nice day." I would hate to think it means, "F***you" anywhere!

WishUponAStar

« Reply #5411 on: February 16, 2014, 11:23:41 PM »
I'm a native Californian and I think it could only be construed as an FU if you use a snarky tone or are just  trying to shoo someone away, which is probably what the OP meant.  I always tell cashiers and service workers to have a nice day, etc. without such meanings behind it.  ;D

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #5412 on: February 16, 2014, 11:23:59 PM »
I think it also has something to do with the tone of voice as well

BarensMom

« Reply #5413 on: February 17, 2014, 10:08:24 AM »
Out here, "have a nice day" is a dismissal.  Depending on tone, it can be a friendly, offhand, abrupt, or even snarky "I'm done with you, move on" phrase.  If said in a saccharine tone while patron is storming angrily out of a business, it's a definite guarantee that patron will never darken the door again (and a 1-star Yelp review).

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #5414 on: February 17, 2014, 12:02:42 PM »

Please don't presume to speak for all of us in SoCal in that way. I've never used it with that meaning, nor have I ever heard it used that way.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain