Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1245997 times)

ddawn23

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5430 on: February 25, 2014, 03:41:32 PM »
My Primary Care Provider.  I hadn't had one in a LONG time, so I had to get a new one.  I don't like the way they run their appointments... you have to call the morning of the day you want to see the doctor (in my case, the one day the doctor is in), and request a same-day first-come first-serve appointment.  Full up?  Too bad, call again next week.

I am so looking for someone else.  I was supposed to see one as soon as I could after my stroke... the next time she'll be in is over a month after that!

That...what....who came up with screwy plan? Generally one has to ya know, plan for a doctor's appointment. Arrange time off work, child care, a ride, just set aside some time during the day. Not to mention, you aren't just going for kicks, something is wrong, something needs to be checked out, it's a follow up appointment, something needs to be handled in a timely fashion.

Not that I'm defending the practice, but the point of same-day appointments is that you do get it handled in a timely fashion.  My mom's a physician who switched to same-day appointments several years ago (not her choice).  Before the switch you'd call and the next available appointment would be in four to six weeks, which is fine if you need a physical, but not so great if you have the flu or a rash or a baby with a fever.  Now you call and get in either that day or the next day, and they have a block of time set aside for followup appointments.

But yeah, if it's a total crap shoot, like with Diane's doctor, I'd be switching too.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #5431 on: February 25, 2014, 03:49:54 PM »
I thought many doctors tried to leave a few slots open each day for emergency appointments?
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #5432 on: February 25, 2014, 03:54:03 PM »
It's not really an emergency, though, and they DO a doctor on-call for emergencies.  It just really stinks that the refills are coming up and I'm going to have to ask the hospital if they can call them in, because I *seriously* doubt that a doctor that has literally never laid eyes on me, much less done a physical, is going to call them in.

I swear... no one ever told me having a stroke would be this much hassle...    ;)

Carotte

« Reply #5433 on: February 25, 2014, 04:38:13 PM »
The doctor I used to see had appointments in the morning and open first come-first served in the afternoon.
A good set-up, but she would run late anyway but that's another problem.
I was quite happy to be able to see my new doctor the afternoon of the day I called, after the worst night of my life (otitis), with an apointment so I knew I wouldn't spend ages in the waiting room. Still had to wait a fair bit but meh, who doesn't?

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5434 on: February 25, 2014, 06:43:08 PM »
I have never heard of the same day system, my doctor takes appointments and squeezes in urgent cases. That doesn't sound well planned at all.

gmatoy

« Reply #5435 on: February 25, 2014, 09:56:45 PM »
For years, my family went to a medical practice that did both appointments and "come in and first come/first seen." It worked really well.
 The day that a mug handle broke off and the mug cut me badly, I came in; however, they determined that it was serious enough to bump me to the front of the line. They made an announcement to the effect of: This is serious, we don't want blood everywhere or her passing out, so we'll take her first and, if it ever happens to you, you'll be glad that we triage! They took me in, took care of me and had me out again in less than 20 minutes!

Margo

« Reply #5436 on: February 26, 2014, 05:18:34 AM »
all the ISP ones reminds me of one of my own - Tiscali.
I used them for broadband internet and hen decided to swap to a different porovider. So, I chekced out my terms of service and found I was required to give the 30 days written notice.
So I did. Initially via their website, but the contact form didn';t work, so I send an actual, paper letter. Which specifically referred to the relevent paragrapgh of the contract and stated the date on whic hI wanted the service to end.

3 days later, went to check e-mail and found my  internet access wasn't working. A few phone calls later, and it was established that they had got my request and had therefore terminated my service immediately.
And could not reinstate it.

I was not at all happy, and told them so, so filled in a complaint  form. Asking, as a minimum, that they refund the money I had already paid for the time I wasn't going to get.
Mean time, since they had already told me it was not possible to reconnect me unless I wanted to sign a new contract with them (!!), and since I knew I was effectively  in credit as I'd paid up to a date 2 weeks after they cut me off, I cancelled my direct debit.

I then got a letter from them claiming I owed them money and thretening to take me to court over it..

I pointed out that they owed me money, having cut me off.

They continued to threaten me.

In the end, after I escalated the complaint (and it took a while) they ended up refunding the money for the 2 weeks I'd paid for and didn't get, and paying me a small amount by way of compensation, but they didn't ever apologise and continued to act as if they felt I was unreasonable for, y'know, doing what their terms of business told me I should and expecting to get what I paid for.
If they had apologised and refunded the unused portion of my bill at the outset I would not have taken it any further, although I;d still have been annoyed that they cut me off without warning, especially as this meant I lost access to couple of e-mail accounts.

I

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #5437 on: February 26, 2014, 10:03:57 PM »
I'm getting fed up with Sam's Club. For those not familiar, it's a warehouse store that you pay an annual membership in order to be able to shop there. There's no long term contracts or anything; if you let your membership lapse you can't shop there until you renew it.

Well, my 12 month membership expires in March. I honestly haven't used it too much, and I can get most stuff cheaper by shopping sales. I've decided not to renew, but I am going to continue using it for the 12 months I've already paid for (my favorite bread is seriously cheap there). The annoyance is that once your membership is 45 days from expiring Sam's starts the pressure to renew. By pressure, I mean automatically adding it to your order without asking. I'm lucky I noticed, honestly. Since Sam's is a warehouse store, you buy in bulk and it's not uncommon for me to end up spending $100-150 in a trip. Between my acceptance of a high total, not being the best about keeping more than a general idea of what's in the cart, and the 3 kids who start acting like insane, over caffeinated squirrel monkeys once we get to the check out, it would have been very easy for me to not notice the charge. Luckily the first time it came up I had run in for literally one thing and I got quite the sticker shock. I asked how that price was possible, and the cashier told me that my membership renewal was added on. When I told him I didn't want to renew (which was a bit awkward for me personally. I would rather just let the membership quietly lapse as opposed to having to tell the employee every time that I don't care to shop there anymore), he couldn't just take it off. He had to call a supervisor over to remove the charge.

The next time I went in I told the cashier I wasn't renewing today, but it was put on again. And again the supervisor had to come over and take it off. It's a hassle and a pain at this point, and I was actually considering just ending my membership that day and seeing if they'll give me a prorated refund for the last month. This is all going through my head while I waited for the supervisor to come over. The supervisor asked the cashier what she needed, cashier told her I wanted the renewal taken off, and that's when Supervisor seriously annoyed me. She looked at me and explained, as if I were just a bit dense, that they bill---they BILL--45 days out to avoid any interruption in service, and that it was going to keep popping up until I took care of it. That really grates my cheese. This isn't a "bill". I don't owe Sam's Club a dang thing! I've paid for my 12 months, that's all I want. I'm doing a poor job of explaining, but her tone was really one of "well you need to pay it, this isn't just going to go away. You need to live up to your obligations." Now, if this was the electric company, I could see them getting firm with someone who wasn't paying for their service. If I was under contract, like with the phone company, I could see them making sure I pay on time. But this is a voluntary prepaid account. I have no obligation to renew, I have no need to be scolded like an irresponsible deadbeat.

If Sam's simply offered the option of renewing, or if the cashier pointed out that my membership was about to expire, I would have absolutely no problem with that. Honestly, I would view that as good customer service. It's just the way they're doing it that makes me see red.
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #5438 on: February 26, 2014, 11:31:45 PM »
I am almost done with Sam's Club, also.

They no longer carry my fave drink, can never find the chips my family likes, and they rearrange everything about every three months, it seems!  Must have coupon, nope, it will auto scan, never mind, out-of-stock!

I have friends that ask me to tag-along when they go to CostCo and I always like it. 

Hmmm...
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

Reika

« Reply #5439 on: February 27, 2014, 12:15:15 AM »
I was done with Sam's club a long time ago between horrible customer service, bad selection of stuff in general, and prices that were higher than the Wally World that was literally right next door.

I'm currently with BJ's, they just give me a reminder when my membership is about to expire, and ask if I want to renew then, but that's it.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5440 on: February 27, 2014, 12:24:08 AM »
I second BJ's Wholesale.  They have NEVER pulled something like that!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Hillia

« Reply #5441 on: February 27, 2014, 02:07:24 AM »
I'll never shop there again anyway because I'm just visiting, but the Levi's outlet store at the mall near my son's house will never get my business.

We went in there yesterday, and I was looking for the women's plus size jeans. They actually have a style that fit me fairly well.  I couldn't find them, and I couldn't find an employee to help me, either.  The manager had all of the employees gathered up at the back of the store at a display that wasn't set up properly or something.  She was haranguing them in the most insulting, condescending, sarcastic way I have ever seen one human use to communicate with another, complete with eye rolling and ridiculous mugging. "Do you understaaaaaaand?  Do - you - seeeeeee?"  Ugh.  I'd call the store to report her, but I'm afraid I'd just get her on the phone.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #5442 on: February 27, 2014, 06:05:00 AM »
The shop at the hospital I work at.  It's always been expensive, but this? Really?

- 1 x loaf of white bread - Hospital shop 1.64, Pound shop 1
- 1 x large tin of soup (x2 servings) - Hospital shop 1.50, Pound shop x2 smalls (x1 serving each) 1
- 1 x small (300ml Lucozade) -Hospital shop 1.39, Pound shop 1 litre 1
- 1 x Cadburys Dairy Milk - Hospital shop 0.85, Pound shop pack of 5 1

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I now no longer go to the shop upstairs as it just doesn't make sense to.  I used to buy lunch when it was a reasonable 3 for sandwiches, crisps and a drink (way back when the tuna mayo sandwiches were actually a dream to eat!)...now it's 3.49 for a half stale sandwich, a packet of crisps and a small drink. You can only choose certain crisp flavours and the drinks have changed.  Given I do not like Coke (only the cherry variety) and won't be forced to drink it, I just don't buy the meal!! I asked whether the deal includes cherry Coke. No.  Only Coke, Diet or Diet with lemon. Includes regular Lucozade (not Orange flavour, which I like) and 7 up but not Mountain Dew.   

These days I buy all my stuff for the week from the Pound Shop and save myself a fortune!!
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #5443 on: February 27, 2014, 06:32:34 AM »
I'm getting fed up with Sam's Club. For those not familiar, it's a warehouse store that you pay an annual membership in order to be able to shop there. There's no long term contracts or anything; if you let your membership lapse you can't shop there until you renew it.

Well, my 12 month membership expires in March. I honestly haven't used it too much, and I can get most stuff cheaper by shopping sales. I've decided not to renew, but I am going to continue using it for the 12 months I've already paid for (my favorite bread is seriously cheap there). The annoyance is that once your membership is 45 days from expiring Sam's starts the pressure to renew. By pressure, I mean automatically adding it to your order without asking. I'm lucky I noticed, honestly. Since Sam's is a warehouse store, you buy in bulk and it's not uncommon for me to end up spending $100-150 in a trip. Between my acceptance of a high total, not being the best about keeping more than a general idea of what's in the cart, and the 3 kids who start acting like insane, over caffeinated squirrel monkeys once we get to the check out, it would have been very easy for me to not notice the charge. Luckily the first time it came up I had run in for literally one thing and I got quite the sticker shock. I asked how that price was possible, and the cashier told me that my membership renewal was added on. When I told him I didn't want to renew (which was a bit awkward for me personally. I would rather just let the membership quietly lapse as opposed to having to tell the employee every time that I don't care to shop there anymore), he couldn't just take it off. He had to call a supervisor over to remove the charge.

The next time I went in I told the cashier I wasn't renewing today, but it was put on again. And again the supervisor had to come over and take it off. It's a hassle and a pain at this point, and I was actually considering just ending my membership that day and seeing if they'll give me a prorated refund for the last month. This is all going through my head while I waited for the supervisor to come over. The supervisor asked the cashier what she needed, cashier told her I wanted the renewal taken off, and that's when Supervisor seriously annoyed me. She looked at me and explained, as if I were just a bit dense, that they bill---they BILL--45 days out to avoid any interruption in service, and that it was going to keep popping up until I took care of it. That really grates my cheese. This isn't a "bill". I don't owe Sam's Club a dang thing! I've paid for my 12 months, that's all I want. I'm doing a poor job of explaining, but her tone was really one of "well you need to pay it, this isn't just going to go away. You need to live up to your obligations." Now, if this was the electric company, I could see them getting firm with someone who wasn't paying for their service. If I was under contract, like with the phone company, I could see them making sure I pay on time. But this is a voluntary prepaid account. I have no obligation to renew, I have no need to be scolded like an irresponsible deadbeat.

If Sam's simply offered the option of renewing, or if the cashier pointed out that my membership was about to expire, I would have absolutely no problem with that. Honestly, I would view that as good customer service. It's just the way they're doing it that makes me see red.

I'd say this is a location issue.  Call corporate or wrote a letter to complain.  The Sam's club I go to never does this.  When my renewal was coming up, the computer would prompt the cashier, she'd ask me if I wanted my renewal added on today, I'd say no thanks, and that was the end of the discussion.  No guilt, no eye rolling, no calling the manager over to berate me.

On the other hand the BJ's nearest me, isn't all that great.  There prices are much higher than I expected. Also, they literally carry nothing I regularly purchase at Sam's, one of which I use everyday. 
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5444 on: February 27, 2014, 09:00:25 AM »
POD Dazi, my Sam's Club never automatically adds the renewal charge.

I had BJ's membership for one year and let it lapse, they were considerably more expensive for the same items I get at Sam's Club. Not worth the cost.