Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1139442 times)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5430 on: February 24, 2014, 02:37:42 PM »
Oddly enough, I really haven't had any problems with Comcast. We had them at our last (rental) house, and have them at our new home. The only problem was that, after being told I could self-install, we needed a tech to come out anyway. It's not their fault - they had no way of knowing at the call center that of the 4 outlets in the house, 1 line had been cut and the other 3 weren't connected. And since DH & I had been thinking of getting a new outlet put in a bedroom anyway...
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5431 on: February 24, 2014, 02:50:05 PM »
DH and I have Bright House, which used to be part of Time Warner. I was dismayed to hear Comcast was buying Time Warner, but glad that Bright House is not involved in that merger.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5432 on: February 24, 2014, 03:04:21 PM »
My mom has Cox, which I think is just as bad. She had a promo when she moved in, for x dollars for the triple play. Mind you, she didn't have any premium channels, really just the basic package, and didn't even have a box to get more channels. Yet when her promo expired, she was paying close to $200 a month for all 3, and they wouldn't budge.

so she did some homework, and now has DirectTV for tv, Verizon for phone, but had to stick with them for Internet since Verizon can't handle the demand, and couldn't provider her Internet service.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5433 on: February 25, 2014, 11:54:59 AM »
I posted awhile back that I would not be re-signing with comcast after our move, due to spotty service and worthless tech calls.

I was due a refund of about $30 and instead of a check I received a letter stating that I'd get the refund when I returned their modem. Yeah no, we owned our modem. In fact the excuse they gave us every single time we called to complain about their crap service was "It's your modem. Lease one of ours."

It took 3 months and 2 rounds of calls escalated to supervisors but I finally convinced them that they would not be receiving MY piece of equipment and they'd better send me MY money. Never again!!

Xandraea

« Reply #5434 on: February 25, 2014, 12:12:17 PM »
Yep, Comcast lost my business when I moved out of state, cancelled my cable service and my mother took the cable box and personally handed it to a human at their brick and mortar location. That was the end of it, so we thought, though I really wish she'd gotten some sort of receipt as proof of returning the box.

That was in October. In February, I was visiting, camping out in my empty house with no furniture, no television, nothing in it. I came back to the house one day to catch a Comcast guy coming from the side of my house. I asked what he was doing there and he said, "Disconnecting service for lack of payment."  I told him I'd cancelled my service back in October, and there hadn't been televisions in the house since. He said, "Oh, ok then, don't worry about it."  .. so I didn't worry about it. Until 2 years later when I was moving back, into the same house, and was looking to not only reconnect my cable service, but I was going to do their triple-play with phone and internet and would have been paying them something like $120/mo. This is when I'm informed that I owe them $275 and they'll not connect service again until I pay. Turns out this is for the 5 months from October til February, AFTER I'd cancelled service, returned the cable box and moved out of state. Guess I should have "worried about it" after all.

Now that they knew my current contact info (from me trying to sign up for service), they sent collectors after me, threatening that it would be on my credit report and in a gullible moment, I was convinced that I should pay it to prevent the credit report being affected, then get my money back from Comcast. Yep, I paid, now they owe me. Except of course, they don't care about that. I moved back into my house, and frequently received "offers" of $250 or $200 (kept going down) "gift card" (credit for Comcast services), if I were to sign up for their service. Every one of them goes into the trash. That wouldn't be a gift, that's just part of what they owe me, and I'm not paying them one cent more.

suzieQ

« Reply #5435 on: February 25, 2014, 01:08:44 PM »
I've had problems with Charter's service guys. Last one signed us up for some kind of premium TV package without our knowledge or consent! I found out when our following month bill was double what it should be. That wasn't the first time their repair/service guys pulled something shady.
I got a password put on my account that has to be given before any changes can be made.
Check out my crocheted cross body bags for phones!

http://phlings.blogspot.com/

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #5436 on: February 25, 2014, 02:52:19 PM »
My Primary Care Provider.  I hadn't had one in a LONG time, so I had to get a new one.  I don't like the way they run their appointments... you have to call the morning of the day you want to see the doctor (in my case, the one day the doctor is in), and request a same-day first-come first-serve appointment.  Full up?  Too bad, call again next week.

I am so looking for someone else.  I was supposed to see one as soon as I could after my stroke... the next time she'll be in is over a month after that!

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #5437 on: February 25, 2014, 03:01:48 PM »
My Primary Care Provider.  I hadn't had one in a LONG time, so I had to get a new one.  I don't like the way they run their appointments... you have to call the morning of the day you want to see the doctor (in my case, the one day the doctor is in), and request a same-day first-come first-serve appointment.  Full up?  Too bad, call again next week.

I am so looking for someone else.  I was supposed to see one as soon as I could after my stroke... the next time she'll be in is over a month after that!

That...what....who came up with screwy plan? Generally one has to ya know, plan for a doctor's appointment. Arrange time off work, child care, a ride, just set aside some time during the day. Not to mention, you aren't just going for kicks, something is wrong, something needs to be checked out, it's a follow up appointment, something needs to be handled in a timely fashion.

ddawn23

« Reply #5438 on: February 25, 2014, 03:41:32 PM »

That...what....who came up with screwy plan? Generally one has to ya know, plan for a doctor's appointment. Arrange time off work, child care, a ride, just set aside some time during the day. Not to mention, you aren't just going for kicks, something is wrong, something needs to be checked out, it's a follow up appointment, something needs to be handled in a timely fashion.

Not that I'm defending the practice, but the point of same-day appointments is that you do get it handled in a timely fashion.  My mom's a physician who switched to same-day appointments several years ago (not her choice).  Before the switch you'd call and the next available appointment would be in four to six weeks, which is fine if you need a physical, but not so great if you have the flu or a rash or a baby with a fever.  Now you call and get in either that day or the next day, and they have a block of time set aside for followup appointments.

But yeah, if it's a total crap shoot, like with Diane's doctor, I'd be switching too.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #5439 on: February 25, 2014, 03:49:54 PM »
I thought many doctors tried to leave a few slots open each day for emergency appointments?
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #5440 on: February 25, 2014, 03:54:03 PM »
It's not really an emergency, though, and they DO a doctor on-call for emergencies.  It just really stinks that the refills are coming up and I'm going to have to ask the hospital if they can call them in, because I *seriously* doubt that a doctor that has literally never laid eyes on me, much less done a physical, is going to call them in.

I swear... no one ever told me having a stroke would be this much hassle...    ;)

Carotte

« Reply #5441 on: February 25, 2014, 04:38:13 PM »
The doctor I used to see had appointments in the morning and open first come-first served in the afternoon.
A good set-up, but she would run late anyway but that's another problem.
I was quite happy to be able to see my new doctor the afternoon of the day I called, after the worst night of my life (otitis), with an apointment so I knew I wouldn't spend ages in the waiting room. Still had to wait a fair bit but meh, who doesn't?

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5442 on: February 25, 2014, 06:43:08 PM »
I have never heard of the same day system, my doctor takes appointments and squeezes in urgent cases. That doesn't sound well planned at all.

gmatoy

« Reply #5443 on: February 25, 2014, 09:56:45 PM »
For years, my family went to a medical practice that did both appointments and "come in and first come/first seen." It worked really well.
 The day that a mug handle broke off and the mug cut me badly, I came in; however, they determined that it was serious enough to bump me to the front of the line. They made an announcement to the effect of: This is serious, we don't want blood everywhere or her passing out, so we'll take her first and, if it ever happens to you, you'll be glad that we triage! They took me in, took care of me and had me out again in less than 20 minutes!

Margo

« Reply #5444 on: February 26, 2014, 05:18:34 AM »
all the ISP ones reminds me of one of my own - Tiscali.
I used them for broadband internet and hen decided to swap to a different porovider. So, I chekced out my terms of service and found I was required to give the 30 days written notice.
So I did. Initially via their website, but the contact form didn';t work, so I send an actual, paper letter. Which specifically referred to the relevent paragrapgh of the contract and stated the date on whic hI wanted the service to end.

3 days later, went to check e-mail and found my  internet access wasn't working. A few phone calls later, and it was established that they had got my request and had therefore terminated my service immediately.
And could not reinstate it.

I was not at all happy, and told them so, so filled in a complaint  form. Asking, as a minimum, that they refund the money I had already paid for the time I wasn't going to get.
Mean time, since they had already told me it was not possible to reconnect me unless I wanted to sign a new contract with them (!!), and since I knew I was effectively  in credit as I'd paid up to a date 2 weeks after they cut me off, I cancelled my direct debit.

I then got a letter from them claiming I owed them money and thretening to take me to court over it..

I pointed out that they owed me money, having cut me off.

They continued to threaten me.

In the end, after I escalated the complaint (and it took a while) they ended up refunding the money for the 2 weeks I'd paid for and didn't get, and paying me a small amount by way of compensation, but they didn't ever apologise and continued to act as if they felt I was unreasonable for, y'know, doing what their terms of business told me I should and expecting to get what I paid for.
If they had apologised and refunded the unused portion of my bill at the outset I would not have taken it any further, although I;d still have been annoyed that they cut me off without warning, especially as this meant I lost access to couple of e-mail accounts.

I