Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1131596 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5475 on: March 05, 2014, 09:00:06 PM »
I had a new dress come from them - floor length for the Rennaissance Festival when it got to me....and pale blue gray.

After washing it by itself and air drying it, it is about three inches shorter (the good news is that the hem stays much cleaner that way) but the bad news is that it went from loose but not baggy to a bit snug for a woven garment...and there was a small red blotch in an awkward location on my chest...not someplace where I can easily cover it up with a brooch or more embroidery.  Although I did find a coordinating blue gray woven with silver pashmina stole to use as a head covering the next time I wear it...and a silver brooch or two to hold it in place so that the stays in place, covering the red blotch.

Yeah - I like their stuff in the photos - but if it shrinks THAT much, they need to tell you to order a size larger...or something.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Just saw the previous post about using color remover to turn the outfit white.  How well did the embroidery change color?  Did it turn white also or is it just a slightly different color? 

Because the last time I used color remover on rayon, I noticed that it was NOT what you'd call gentle on the fabric....

I'm also debating overdyeing it (in true Medieval style) to get a much darker color.....
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 09:02:08 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5476 on: March 05, 2014, 09:11:17 PM »
The embroidery and soutache trim are exactly the same as the fabric.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5477 on: March 05, 2014, 09:48:33 PM »
Okay - then overdyeing it has a good chance of working, if I use color remover first....

I guess I need to do the color remover to see what happens and then decide what to use as an overdye....if it goes ivory instead of snow - I might want to pick a darker color...or if the red is still there, I might go with a red....

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5478 on: March 05, 2014, 10:16:39 PM »
I had a new dress come from them - floor length for the Rennaissance Festival when it got to me....and pale blue gray.

After washing it by itself and air drying it, it is about three inches shorter (the good news is that the hem stays much cleaner that way) but the bad news is that it went from loose but not baggy to a bit snug for a woven garment...and there was a small red blotch in an awkward location on my chest...not someplace where I can easily cover it up with a brooch or more embroidery.  Although I did find a coordinating blue gray woven with silver pashmina stole to use as a head covering the next time I wear it...and a silver brooch or two to hold it in place so that the stays in place, covering the red blotch.

Yeah - I like their stuff in the photos - but if it shrinks THAT much, they need to tell you to order a size larger...or something.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Just saw the previous post about using color remover to turn the outfit white.  How well did the embroidery change color?  Did it turn white also or is it just a slightly different color? 

Because the last time I used color remover on rayon, I noticed that it was NOT what you'd call gentle on the fabric....

I'm also debating overdyeing it (in true Medieval style) to get a much darker color.....

Be aware that dye is transparent, unlike opaque paints, and the colors will mix in true pigment fashion.  If you dye it blue, say, that red blotch won't magically turn blue.  It will now be purple.  Even a red dye might be tricky, unless you go with one that is several shades darker. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5479 on: March 05, 2014, 10:36:53 PM »
I was planning on using color remover, checking the results, and THEN deciding what to do....although at the moment, the nearly matching (but with silver threads) shawl makes a great simple veil....

southern girl

« Reply #5480 on: March 06, 2014, 06:45:55 AM »
Just went on Holy Clothing's website and this is a direct quote -- cut and pasted:

"Never settle for less: HolyClothing hand-measures every size of every style to offer their customers Actual Garment Measurements, perfectly detailed and flawlessly accurate."

Notice that they say "flawlessly accurate" in the fitting section.  They also say "Satisfaction guaranteed or your money back" on their front page, so I would keep trying.  I hope they do right for you.

alkira6

« Reply #5481 on: March 06, 2014, 09:47:48 AM »
Just went on Holy Clothing's website and this is a direct quote -- cut and pasted:

"Never settle for less: HolyClothing hand-measures every size of every style to offer their customers Actual Garment Measurements, perfectly detailed and flawlessly accurate."

Notice that they say "flawlessly accurate" in the fitting section.  They also say "Satisfaction guaranteed or your money back" on their front page, so I would keep trying.  I hope they do right for you.

I am really not happy with them.  I bought a lovely "gypsy" type top that was a longer length.  Hand washed it in cold water and hung it to dry - my teenage niece now uses it as a long top over leggings.  No help at all when I complained about the extreme shrinkage.

Arila

« Reply #5482 on: March 06, 2014, 03:58:22 PM »
We finally decided to replace our old mattress when I couldn't sleep for a week and was waking up sore.

We went to one store, and spent over an hour laying on various mattresses, and taking up the sales lady's time (There was one other couple in the store who was not buying, and initially she split her time, but when we were all alone, she was attentive to us). The next day, we had decided on the one we were going to buy, but since it was going to be a several years' commitment plus quite a bit of money, I felt it would be responsible to shop around for price and "extras".

I stopped into another store, just to make sure that different individual mattresses of the same model still felt as comfortable, and to see what the price difference would be. Well, they did have a policy of beating any price by a set 5%, but a lot of the extras were actually extra. He went to get a calculator so he could tell me exactly how much we were going to save, but after a bit of quick math in my head, I determined that the price difference (considering freebies) was actually ~0.5% of what we would be spending, and frankly I just liked the other sales lady more. I figured if I can negotiate with this guy, I can negotiate with her. I decided not to waste the guy's time any more (I had been there for 5 minutes, I was the only one in the store), and thanked him for his time, but I didn't want to waste it. I said that the deals seemed to be roughly equivalent, and I wanted to honor the hours the other sales person had spent with us. He protested aggressively about why I would want to spend $XXX more than I had to (did not account for freebies), which I didn't respond to, but rather turned toward the door. He threw the calculator onto his desk in disgust. I wasn't particularly afraid, but the abrupt turn in his attitude so strongly turned me off, now every time I pass the store, I think "I'm never shopping THERE again!"

All's well that ends well. I went to the other store, told the sales lady that I was back because I liked her better, but I wondered if she could swing the 5% discount and meet the other guys' offer. She did. Now I have the opposite problem - I can't seem to make myself get out of bed, it's so great. :)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5483 on: March 06, 2014, 07:38:51 PM »

...  All's well that ends well. I went to the other store, told the sales lady that I was back because I liked her better, but I wondered if she could swing the 5% discount and meet the other guys' offer. She did. Now I have the opposite problem - I can't seem to make myself get out of bed, it's so great. :)

Glad you got both the mattress you love and the great deal, and were able to get it with the nice and deserving sales person who had spent so much time with you.  Sales personality really DOES matter!

Now, we are also in serious need of a new mattress.  I'm not sure of the rules here about this, but would you be allowed to tell us (me  ;)) which mattress you bought that is so cozy and comfy that you don't want to get out of bed in the morning?

HorseFreak

« Reply #5484 on: March 06, 2014, 07:53:08 PM »

...  All's well that ends well. I went to the other store, told the sales lady that I was back because I liked her better, but I wondered if she could swing the 5% discount and meet the other guys' offer. She did. Now I have the opposite problem - I can't seem to make myself get out of bed, it's so great. :)

Glad you got both the mattress you love and the great deal, and were able to get it with the nice and deserving sales person who had spent so much time with you.  Sales personality really DOES matter!

Now, we are also in serious need of a new mattress.  I'm not sure of the rules here about this, but would you be allowed to tell us (me  ;)) which mattress you bought that is so cozy and comfy that you don't want to get out of bed in the morning?

Completely OT, but http://www.themattressunderground.com is great for help shopping for a mattress since it's so individual! They helped me find an excellent price on a 100% latex mattress that I love.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5485 on: March 06, 2014, 08:25:46 PM »
^^^  Thanks!   :)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5486 on: March 06, 2014, 09:39:02 PM »
^^^  Thanks!   :)

I just got one last weekend and am slowly adjusting to it. Had the traditional innerspring but ended with a hybrid; layers of foam over innerspring. A lot of it is mental for me. I think the "give" of the foam is soft, therefore "bad" they really don't make the old style anymore. Fell free to PM me if you want any details on what I got

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
« Reply #5487 on: March 07, 2014, 11:46:12 AM »
I finally read through to the end of the thread and have one to add. I will never set foot in a Sears Optical again.

My insurance does not cover a lot of facilities, but Sears Optical is in our network. I needed an eye exam and new glasses last year, so off I went. Doctor spent maybe 5 minutes with me, picked out new glasses, etc. and got them on sale, which was nice. I had to pay over $200 out of pocket for them, though. When I got home, I looked up our coverage again to clarify what was covered beause $280 out of pocket was steep - and found out that they would reimburse me for all of my out of pocket costs for both lenses and frames. But in order to get reimbursement, I had to ask the people at Sears Optical to sign a claim form for me.

So back I went with the form in hand, and the lady refused to sign the form. She was arguing with me about my insurance coverage and how she had never heard of that before, blah blah blah. I was arguing with her for an hour over this and she still refused to sign. I had to leave the store and escalate it to corporate level, and then I had to return back to the store again where she grudgingly signed the form.

And after I filed the claim form with my insurance, lo and behold.... I received a reimbursement check for ALL of the out of pocket costs I paid. If I hadn't have pursued it and believed her, I'd have been out $280.

Why on earth she was so difficult about signing a form, and assuming I didn't understand my own insurance, I'll never know. But I can tell you I'd rather be blind than go back there again. Too bad because it turns out my daughter just got a vision referral from her school - and they could have had my family's business.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 11:47:50 AM by MamaMootz »
"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5488 on: March 07, 2014, 12:27:00 PM »
^ She should have just signed it and been done with it. If it bounces, it does. She just wasted an hour of corporate time, as well as yours. Glad you kept fighting.

My insurance pays for the doctor part but not the glasses, so Doc sends all of it in and insurance pays what they should.

When I was going to another provider with several employees, if I saw a certain person was working, I just waited for someone else. They all understood.

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
« Reply #5489 on: March 07, 2014, 12:55:32 PM »
^ She should have just signed it and been done with it. If it bounces, it does. She just wasted an hour of corporate time, as well as yours. Glad you kept fighting.

My insurance pays for the doctor part but not the glasses, so Doc sends all of it in and insurance pays what they should.

When I was going to another provider with several employees, if I saw a certain person was working, I just waited for someone else. They all understood.

the only thing I can think of is that she may have thought signing the form would have negated her insurance reimbusement. Which it didn't. The exam was covered and she had already electronically billed the insurance. I came back with a form strictly for my out of pocket reimbursement which didn't impact her at all and was a seperate benefit under my plan. But I could not get her to understand that and she kept insisting that she filed for all the claim that we could against my insurance. And she was wrong.
"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver