Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1270376 times)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5475 on: March 06, 2014, 07:38:51 PM »

...  All's well that ends well. I went to the other store, told the sales lady that I was back because I liked her better, but I wondered if she could swing the 5% discount and meet the other guys' offer. She did. Now I have the opposite problem - I can't seem to make myself get out of bed, it's so great. :)

Glad you got both the mattress you love and the great deal, and were able to get it with the nice and deserving sales person who had spent so much time with you.  Sales personality really DOES matter!

Now, we are also in serious need of a new mattress.  I'm not sure of the rules here about this, but would you be allowed to tell us (me  ;)) which mattress you bought that is so cozy and comfy that you don't want to get out of bed in the morning?

HorseFreak

« Reply #5476 on: March 06, 2014, 07:53:08 PM »

...  All's well that ends well. I went to the other store, told the sales lady that I was back because I liked her better, but I wondered if she could swing the 5% discount and meet the other guys' offer. She did. Now I have the opposite problem - I can't seem to make myself get out of bed, it's so great. :)

Glad you got both the mattress you love and the great deal, and were able to get it with the nice and deserving sales person who had spent so much time with you.  Sales personality really DOES matter!

Now, we are also in serious need of a new mattress.  I'm not sure of the rules here about this, but would you be allowed to tell us (me  ;)) which mattress you bought that is so cozy and comfy that you don't want to get out of bed in the morning?

Completely OT, but http://www.themattressunderground.com is great for help shopping for a mattress since it's so individual! They helped me find an excellent price on a 100% latex mattress that I love.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5477 on: March 06, 2014, 08:25:46 PM »
^^^  Thanks!   :)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5478 on: March 06, 2014, 09:39:02 PM »
^^^  Thanks!   :)

I just got one last weekend and am slowly adjusting to it. Had the traditional innerspring but ended with a hybrid; layers of foam over innerspring. A lot of it is mental for me. I think the "give" of the foam is soft, therefore "bad" they really don't make the old style anymore. Fell free to PM me if you want any details on what I got

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
« Reply #5479 on: March 07, 2014, 11:46:12 AM »
I finally read through to the end of the thread and have one to add. I will never set foot in a Sears Optical again.

My insurance does not cover a lot of facilities, but Sears Optical is in our network. I needed an eye exam and new glasses last year, so off I went. Doctor spent maybe 5 minutes with me, picked out new glasses, etc. and got them on sale, which was nice. I had to pay over $200 out of pocket for them, though. When I got home, I looked up our coverage again to clarify what was covered beause $280 out of pocket was steep - and found out that they would reimburse me for all of my out of pocket costs for both lenses and frames. But in order to get reimbursement, I had to ask the people at Sears Optical to sign a claim form for me.

So back I went with the form in hand, and the lady refused to sign the form. She was arguing with me about my insurance coverage and how she had never heard of that before, blah blah blah. I was arguing with her for an hour over this and she still refused to sign. I had to leave the store and escalate it to corporate level, and then I had to return back to the store again where she grudgingly signed the form.

And after I filed the claim form with my insurance, lo and behold.... I received a reimbursement check for ALL of the out of pocket costs I paid. If I hadn't have pursued it and believed her, I'd have been out $280.

Why on earth she was so difficult about signing a form, and assuming I didn't understand my own insurance, I'll never know. But I can tell you I'd rather be blind than go back there again. Too bad because it turns out my daughter just got a vision referral from her school - and they could have had my family's business.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 11:47:50 AM by MamaMootz »
"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5480 on: March 07, 2014, 12:27:00 PM »
^ She should have just signed it and been done with it. If it bounces, it does. She just wasted an hour of corporate time, as well as yours. Glad you kept fighting.

My insurance pays for the doctor part but not the glasses, so Doc sends all of it in and insurance pays what they should.

When I was going to another provider with several employees, if I saw a certain person was working, I just waited for someone else. They all understood.

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
« Reply #5481 on: March 07, 2014, 12:55:32 PM »
^ She should have just signed it and been done with it. If it bounces, it does. She just wasted an hour of corporate time, as well as yours. Glad you kept fighting.

My insurance pays for the doctor part but not the glasses, so Doc sends all of it in and insurance pays what they should.

When I was going to another provider with several employees, if I saw a certain person was working, I just waited for someone else. They all understood.

the only thing I can think of is that she may have thought signing the form would have negated her insurance reimbusement. Which it didn't. The exam was covered and she had already electronically billed the insurance. I came back with a form strictly for my out of pocket reimbursement which didn't impact her at all and was a seperate benefit under my plan. But I could not get her to understand that and she kept insisting that she filed for all the claim that we could against my insurance. And she was wrong.
"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #5482 on: March 07, 2014, 01:06:04 PM »
I went to Sears Optical - liked the frames.  The lenses were off-kilter.  ONE had the focal point in the center, the other had it toward my nose.  The reading focal point...was apparently below the lower frame (found out details later).  I knew  that I got dizzy when trying to walk around and shop in the store that day, asked about it at the optical shop, got told that I just needed to get used to bifocals (had been wearing them for ten years at that point), and told to come back later...

I wore them to drive half way across the continental USA (visiting DD) and took them off to read, embroider, or sew.  Or even walk around the house if I was going to be looking down....it still made me dizzy.

I got back just before the 30 day time limit on getting them fixed - found out that the left lens pointed to my nose and the right lens was in the center of the lens.  They remade them, with a little bit of attitude, but they remade them.  I'd bought glasses on a two pairs for just a little more than the cost of one pair.  So I wore them (smaller lens - not much room for bifocal so they were bought for looks & driving, not reading & sewing) while waiting. 

It was still more comfortable to take them off to read...and I read...a lot.  Bookworm since half way through first grade, when I learned to read.

I took those frames to another optical shop AFTER it was time for my next eye exam - that's when I found out that the reading spot had been cut off in BOTH frames, both the smaller ones and the larger ones...lots of regular vision though - it was like the whole lens got cut wrong, the regular prescription took up the top 3/4 and the bifocal got forced into as much of the bottom 1/4 as it would fit - too bad if it got cut off....

I reused those frames for one more set of lenses - until I sat on them by mistake - then got newer frames this time around - ones that are supposed to be more flexible & survive being sat on a bit better.  I still have the habit of taking my glasses off to do close work or read & wander around the house.  But I'm not going back to Sears Optical.  Neither is WonderfulSIL, he got put off on his complaints until it was "too late" to get the lenses redone under their "guarantee"....so they don't go back there, either. 

VorGuy got Lasik instead.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Amara

« Reply #5483 on: March 07, 2014, 01:48:34 PM »
I have a new bed that I am sooooooooooo happy with. It was three or four months of intensive research before I settled on the one I bought. The two best sources of information, if you are in the market for a new bed too, were Consumer Reports Online and a blog called Old Bed Guy ( http://www.oldbedguy.com/ ) who was in the industry for sixty years and whose blog offers an incredible wealth of information and history.

Back to the topic at hand now ....

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5484 on: March 07, 2014, 02:04:09 PM »

the only thing I can think of is that she may have thought signing the form would have negated her insurance reimbusement. Which it didn't. The exam was covered and she had already electronically billed the insurance. I came back with a form strictly for my out of pocket reimbursement which didn't impact her at all and was a seperate benefit under my plan. But I could not get her to understand that and she kept insisting that she filed for all the claim that we could against my insurance. And she was wrong.

That may be the difference. I don't know how out of pocket works, because I haven't had that for 40 years. Since then, I've never paid until after the insurance pays. I don't know what will happen under the new methods. It will be a learning curve! (I'm in the US.)

Still, I don't condemn the place, just the person. Except sadly for Denny's, but that's another post.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #5485 on: March 07, 2014, 02:10:28 PM »
Granted this is not an again, but based on my friend's recent experience with an online clothing store. 
She started posting on FB this Holy Clothing company's cool clothings.  They are almost more  Renaissance & Gypsy styles. Plus they had a really wide range of sizes up to I think 5X.  Cool stuff (most could be worn to my work) and decently priced.  I was just starting to show DH and see about ordering a couple things. 
Then my friend gets her order and posted what happened next.  She was excited that both the top and the pants fit nicely for her when she first tried them on.  The site and the packing information mentions to machine was in cold water (on delicate) and to air dry before wearing.  So she did went ahead to wash them before wearing them.  Both items shrunk about one full size. 
She emailed to ask about returning them and was told that their policy was not to accept returns that have been worn, tags removed, or washed.  But she agrued that the site and instructions clearly stated to wash them in cold water and hang dry before wearing.  But they couldn't accept them and she must have picked the incorrect size. 
She then got mad.  She wrote a letter with no swears but extreme unhappiness (English majors can be very verbois and get the point across)  to the company's email.  Got back the same response.  So she printed off every email to and from the company and them mailed them and another letter (snail mail) to the owner of the company. 

We await a response. 

Be interesting to see what would happen if she posts that on their Facebook page - or better yet, post it on her own page, tagging it with their name (they could just delete it from their page, but not from hers).
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

Arila

« Reply #5486 on: March 07, 2014, 05:31:32 PM »

Completely OT, but http://www.themattressunderground.com is great for help shopping for a mattress since it's so individual! They helped me find an excellent price on a 100% latex mattress that I love.

That is also where I did my research, but unfortunately the bed that I ended up selecting (a knock off that was supposed to be good but much cheaper) from there had very mixed Amazon reviews. I was all set to buy it, but then I noticed that all the good reviews had slept on it for months (seems like a good enough length of time!) but the bad reviews were after a year or more, when the mattress basically wore out. We decided to go with the brand name...Dishes, I will PM you, but I don't think you'll be surprised...

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5487 on: March 07, 2014, 11:31:02 PM »
I went to Sears Optical - liked the frames.  The lenses were off-kilter.  ONE had the focal point in the center, the other had it toward my nose.  The reading focal point...was apparently below the lower frame (found out details later).  I knew  that I got dizzy when trying to walk around and shop in the store that day, asked about it at the optical shop, got told that I just needed to get used to bifocals (had been wearing them for ten years at that point), told to come back later...
I had the same problem with the Sears Optical 2 years ago.  NON-bifocals, (I can't wear them) and the focal point was way too low.  I had to put those sticky pads on the nose pieces to raise them up to the proper height.  I couldn't read with the distance glasses at all, and the reading glasses gave me headaches. And like you, I got told "Well, you just have to get used to these new lenses."  ::)  Please-- I've been wearing glasses for 50 years, and it's never taken me more than an hour or so to get used to a changed prescription.

I have an EXTREMELY strong prescription in my dominant eye, and no other chain optical place would even touch them.  They all said "We just can't do a lens that strong."  Sears was the only place that would even try.  If they had done a good job, they would have had our business for years.  But nope, never again.

Last year our HMO started doing optical services in-house, and the difference was like night and day.  Focal point at the right place, frames that are big enough to accommodate the damned coke-bottle lenses, all sorts of bells and whistles like anti-glare -- TWO pairs of glasses for the same price that Sears charged me for one pair. 

Lasik -- I've thought about it, but the optometrist says she sees signs that I may be developing cataracts.  So if I wait a couple of years, I can get intra-ocular lenses instead, covered by my HMO rather than paying out-of-pocket as a cosmetic procedure. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #5488 on: March 09, 2014, 03:12:23 AM »
That's it. I have no luck with online stores. :(

I had preordered a collector's edition game off the Square-Enix online store, and tonight, after a lot of thinking, I decided once and for all it wasn't really worth it for what was included and so went to cancel the preorder.

First thing: there is no way to log into your account from the store - you have to go through the main site, log in there, and hope it doesn't log you back out when you reload the store.
Second thing: after finally managing to log in, which took me a good fifteen minutes of constantly trying and retrying and resetting my password three times, my shopping cart was empty.
Third thing: there is no "order history" anywhere on the store. Just the shopping cart. Which stayed stubbornly empty.
Fourth thing: I finally find what appears to be my OWN shopping cart, which is completely different from the one linked to on the store page! Okay, fine, but how did I find it?
Fifth thing: I had to attempt to order something else to even find my shopping cart. I can only thank whatever deity was listening to my inner monologue of curse words at the time that I didn't actually have to PAY for the other thing I clicked "order" on just to see what in the world would happen.

Too bad. They would have gotten nearly $100 from me.
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #5489 on: March 09, 2014, 03:59:03 AM »
That's it. I have no luck with online stores. :(

I had preordered a collector's edition game off the Square-Enix online store, and tonight, after a lot of thinking, I decided once and for all it wasn't really worth it for what was included and so went to cancel the preorder.

First thing: there is no way to log into your account from the store - you have to go through the main site, log in there, and hope it doesn't log you back out when you reload the store.
Second thing: after finally managing to log in, which took me a good fifteen minutes of constantly trying and retrying and resetting my password three times, my shopping cart was empty.
Third thing: there is no "order history" anywhere on the store. Just the shopping cart. Which stayed stubbornly empty.
Fourth thing: I finally find what appears to be my OWN shopping cart, which is completely different from the one linked to on the store page! Okay, fine, but how did I find it?
Fifth thing: I had to attempt to order something else to even find my shopping cart. I can only thank whatever deity was listening to my inner monologue of curse words at the time that I didn't actually have to PAY for the other thing I clicked "order" on just to see what in the world would happen.

Too bad. They would have gotten nearly $100 from me.

Square Enix has HORRIBLE websites. Incredibly horrible. Ridiculously horrible. Unbelievably horrible. I love their games so much but I cringe whenever I have to do something with them online. :'(
"Set aphasia to stun!"