Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1101720 times)

JolieFille

• I'm a Pixie! With Fangs! =P
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5685 on: April 04, 2014, 03:57:38 PM »
I'm not annoyed by being carded so much as I'm wondering what she would have done if I was underage. Would she have denied my dad his purchase? What do people do when they're shopping with their teenagers and buying something age restricted? What if I had left my wallet in the car?  I get carded for everything you can possibly be carded for. M rated video games, R rated movies. . .and now things I'm not actually buying.  When I was 16-17 I was never carded for anything at all ever; incuding being with my parents when they purchased something age restricted.

Edited to add; I've been shopping at this store since I was five, I don't plan to not not shop there, I was just sharing an annoying experience. I kinda think of  the "I'm never shopping there again" thing as hyperbole.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 04:03:00 PM by JolieFille »

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5686 on: April 04, 2014, 04:04:58 PM »
I get carded every time I buy wine. At my local grocery store. I am friends with parents of a few teenagers that work there.

I wouldn't sell alcohol or cigarettes to someone under age or another person with them.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #5687 on: April 04, 2014, 04:19:02 PM »
Did you win anything?
Aside from the apparent fountain of youth?
 :)

5 bucks, it was pretty sweet.

In my family you always look older then you are until you hit about 22 or 23, then you just stop aging for awhile. Everyone thinks I'm around 22/23, then when you turn 30 you begin aging at a normal pace, so we all look 7-10 years younger then we are. Seriously, my mom is 44, we went out to dinner and Partner and I get cared and then she gets carded and she kind of laughs and hands over her ID and the waiter as he is looking at it goes "Oh well we have to card anyone who looks under 30...." and trails off as he see she was under 30 over a decade ago.

But when she was a teenager, she always mistaken for older. I was walking into bars when I was 16, no one bothered to check my ID. I don't know which deity which of my ancestors pleased (or made a deal with), but I'm glad they did.

staceym

« Reply #5688 on: April 04, 2014, 04:19:45 PM »
Carding for alcohol and tobacco is the law in many states. If you look under a certain age and even just with the person buying those products they have to card you.

in our area and State (PA) - I don't think they can even register the cigarettes until they put a birthdate in.  I know at Rite Aid they ask every single person buying cigarettes for their birthdate - or if they feel they look young they also ask for ID

JolieFille

• I'm a Pixie! With Fangs! =P
« Reply #5689 on: April 04, 2014, 04:47:00 PM »
Did you win anything?

In my family you always look older then you are until you hit about 22 or 23, then you just stop aging for awhile. Everyone thinks I'm around 22/23, then when you turn 30 you begin aging at a normal pace, so we all look 7-10 years younger then we are. Seriously, my mom is 44, we went out to dinner and Partner and I get cared and then she gets carded and she kind of laughs and hands over her ID and the waiter as he is looking at it goes "Oh well we have to card anyone who looks under 30...." and trails off as he see she was under 30 over a decade ago.

But when she was a teenager, she always mistaken for older. I was walking into bars when I was 16, no one bothered to check my ID. I don't know which deity which of my ancestors pleased (or made a deal with), but I'm glad they did.

I kinda have this problem I think. I'm 21. My coworkers actually think I look about 17, and some of them wondered if I should still be in school when I started working here over a year ago. I find that I get no grief and expect to be carded for alchol but the thing about how young I apparently look is the way doctors/paramedics treat me. My mom has a really bad heart condition and is disabled because of it. The last time she had an episode I was home and had everything ready (history and such) to give to the EMT's. I swear the woman must have been new because usually they come by often enough for my mom that we're familar. She was pretty condescending and kept trying to talk over me and force my mom to talk and my mom really was pretty incapacitaed. When yoru throwing up, your not really talking. Finally I got mad at her, and handed her The Card with all the info on it, and spoke over her until she really started to listen and was like 'oh your so good at knowing your mom's history!' The other EMT's were smirking because they know me. One asked pointedly if I'd like to ride along, and I said no that I had work the next day, and that finally made the woman realize that I know what the heck I'm talking about. I don't mind being carded for things, I mind being patronized when it's a serious situation.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #5690 on: April 04, 2014, 08:52:12 PM »
Did you win anything?

Seriously, we need to compare family trees - I had the same thing happen to me.  I looked a year or two older from birth to my early twenties, then got carded at 27 years & almost 7 months after having m first baby (I had just gotten out of the hospital with the flu - I FELT old, even if I apparently didn't look it to the guy at the restaurant where we were going out for New Year's Eve).

Now, partly due to staying OUT of the Arizona and West Texas sun for the last thirty years, not much visible gray in my hair, and the family effect - I'm mistaken for ten years or more younger than I am.

Ask Ambrosia Hino....DD has been told that I looked mid to maybe late thirties at her wedding....I had just turned fifty earlier that summer (friend was looking at photos & playing "guess the age" - I don't remember if I'd been introduced as her MOTHER when I'd met the person while visiting the HC four or five years after the wedding - but I think that they'd met me).

In a group last weekend with Younger Brother #1 (older of the two boys - but child #3), Lil Sis (younger than me, child #2), and our parents - Younger won the most gray hair award hands down- white with a few black hairs on most of his head AND his mustache & beard.  Seriously - he has this white haired biker dude thing going on.  Dad was number two - but it was close with Mom.  Just they were easily less gray (although clearly older due to skin & other clues/cues). 

Lil Sis dyes her hair - so I'm not sure how "wolf gray" she is - but the last time I saw her roots - easily two to three times the amount I have.  I'm going gray at the temples, rather like Mr. Fantastic....and it doesn't show nearly as much when you're female & have shoulder length hair instead of short hair. 

Baby Brother wasn't there - niece, her daughter, and fiancÚ were going to stop by his house in OK on the way home to see his family.  He has roughly the same amount of gray as Lil Sis - niece was hoping that she'd gray like her Aunt VorFemme instead of like her dad....
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 08:53:48 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5691 on: April 04, 2014, 09:00:26 PM »
I've seen a pin about a nationality where women look the same until they hit the change and then suddenly they look "old".  I'm half Irish and 1/4 Italian and it's kind of funny to me because people have said to me "It must be the Italian in you that makes you look so young! It's the olive oil!" or something.

But my Italian women in my family tan really well and so they slather on the suntan oil and get as brown as walnuts which has aged them.  While meanwhile my Irish side of the family (who never use an SPF lower than 50) have aged far more gracefully. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5692 on: April 04, 2014, 09:01:18 PM »
Um, er...........I started this whole thing about the laws.

Let's just admit that Jolee and my niece look young. We all need to be carded. Those in our party need to be carded in some states. It's a pain.

Let's get on with it.

Thank you very much.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #5693 on: April 04, 2014, 10:35:58 PM »
I got carded at 27.

DD got accused of being the mother of her four year old brother before she turned 14. 

She's never mentioned if they've stopped carding her - but she just turned thirty...if the local schools are teaching reading & math skills, she should be able to point to the SIGN at the liquor store.

She does have a friend who is LESS than five feet tall (less than 1.5 meters tall, for the metrically minded) who may continue to be carded until her hair turns WHITE...just due to her diminutive size.

If DGS takes after his father's side of the family and the taller members in my family, he may end up well over 1.5 meters or five feet tall before he's 12...possibly a couple of years earlier.  At not quite four years old, it's a little early to send notices out to the football & basketball scouts for the colleges where they live!

But I have two cousins who are being watched by the college coaches and they both went to a basketball camp last summer - the girls were 5" 8" and 5' 10" in July - by now they could have grown another inch or so.

My brother admits to being 6' 3" or so and SIL is 6' even - so the girls come by it "naturally".
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5694 on: April 04, 2014, 10:55:51 PM »
There's a liquor store I go to in my town with a sign that says "I'd card my own mother".  And I don't blame them honestly, I wouldn't want to gamble either.  It's VERY hard to judge ages, as some people don't age very well and look at least 10 years older while others can seem like they've uncovered the Fountain of Youth.
My mother got carded in Georgia.  She was 82 -- and looked it! 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Zen

« Reply #5695 on: April 04, 2014, 11:08:35 PM »
10 years ago I was starting to shop for my wedding dress. I had never been inside a bridal shop before, and had no idea of the protocol of making an appointment.

There was only one bridal store in my town, so I thought that I should start there, keeping it local. So I just walked in (with my guy, since he has better fashion sense than I do). The women behind the counter, once they noticed me, decided that the best way to keep me as a customer was to treat me to a blistering diatribe about how inappropriate it was to bring a man to buy a wedding dress, and how I couldn't possibly be serious since I hadn't made an appointment. I was so taken aback by it, I just stood there for a moment, then walked out.

They, rather unsurprisingly given their saleswomen, went out of business within a year. I did a little mental happy dance when I drove past and saw the vacant building. I got my wedding dress in an entirely different state (with the help of my wonderful Aunt and Cousin), and did get married.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #5696 on: April 05, 2014, 01:44:09 AM »
I'm not annoyed by being carded so much as I'm wondering what she would have done if I was underage. Would she have denied my dad his purchase? What do people do when they're shopping with their teenagers and buying something age restricted? What if I had left my wallet in the car?  I get carded for everything you can possibly be carded for. M rated video games, R rated movies. . .and now things I'm not actually buying.  When I was 16-17 I was never carded for anything at all ever; incuding being with my parents when they purchased something age restricted.

Edited to add; I've been shopping at this store since I was five, I don't plan to not not shop there, I was just sharing an annoying experience. I kinda think of  the "I'm never shopping there again" thing as hyperbole.
I
By law, yes, she would have denied your dad his purchase. I'm 31 and I still get carded for everything and I do mean everything. Now I just automatically have my ID ready for anything I might get carded for and don't take it personally. Probably when you were actually 16 and 17 you looked younger and it was clear that your parents were your parents.

Redsoil

« Reply #5697 on: April 05, 2014, 06:15:02 AM »
I wonder if a new thread needs to be made for the carding stories and ages?
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5698 on: April 05, 2014, 09:56:06 AM »
If DGS takes after his father's side of the family and the taller members in my family, he may end up well over 1.5 meters or five feet tall before he's 12...possibly a couple of years earlier.  At not quite four years old, it's a little early to send notices out to the football & basketball scouts for the colleges where they live!

If you know his height at age 2, double it.  It is supposed to come within an inch of his adult height, provided there are no issues.  It didn't work for me, mind you, but then I have fibromyalgia and there has been some research about a lack of growth hormone being a contributor.  There are tall genes in my family and while I'm not short (5'5"), I'm not the 5'11" I should have been according to the formula.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Asharah

« Reply #5699 on: April 05, 2014, 12:15:25 PM »
10 years ago I was starting to shop for my wedding dress. I had never been inside a bridal shop before, and had no idea of the protocol of making an appointment.

There was only one bridal store in my town, so I thought that I should start there, keeping it local. So I just walked in (with my guy, since he has better fashion sense than I do). The women behind the counter, once they noticed me, decided that the best way to keep me as a customer was to treat me to a blistering diatribe about how inappropriate it was to bring a man to buy a wedding dress, and how I couldn't possibly be serious since I hadn't made an appointment. I was so taken aback by it, I just stood there for a moment, then walked out.

They, rather unsurprisingly given their saleswomen, went out of business within a year. I did a little mental happy dance when I drove past and saw the vacant building. I got my wedding dress in an entirely different state (with the help of my wonderful Aunt and Cousin), and did get married.
With all the stories I've read here, I sometimes wonder if bridal shops go out of thir way to hire rude, nasty saleswomen. Or simply dummies who don't grasp the fact that it's about making the customer happy. If you go back to page one on this thread, one of the first stories was a bridal shop saleswoman who could not comprehend that a bride specifically saying "No train!" was not a cue to spend the entire appointment trying to convince bride that she really did want a train.
Asharah