Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1271159 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5685 on: April 04, 2014, 10:35:58 PM »
I got carded at 27.

DD got accused of being the mother of her four year old brother before she turned 14. 

She's never mentioned if they've stopped carding her - but she just turned thirty...if the local schools are teaching reading & math skills, she should be able to point to the SIGN at the liquor store.

She does have a friend who is LESS than five feet tall (less than 1.5 meters tall, for the metrically minded) who may continue to be carded until her hair turns WHITE...just due to her diminutive size.

If DGS takes after his father's side of the family and the taller members in my family, he may end up well over 1.5 meters or five feet tall before he's 12...possibly a couple of years earlier.  At not quite four years old, it's a little early to send notices out to the football & basketball scouts for the colleges where they live!

But I have two cousins who are being watched by the college coaches and they both went to a basketball camp last summer - the girls were 5" 8" and 5' 10" in July - by now they could have grown another inch or so.

My brother admits to being 6' 3" or so and SIL is 6' even - so the girls come by it "naturally".
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5686 on: April 04, 2014, 10:55:51 PM »
There's a liquor store I go to in my town with a sign that says "I'd card my own mother".  And I don't blame them honestly, I wouldn't want to gamble either.  It's VERY hard to judge ages, as some people don't age very well and look at least 10 years older while others can seem like they've uncovered the Fountain of Youth.
My mother got carded in Georgia.  She was 82 -- and looked it! 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Zen

« Reply #5687 on: April 04, 2014, 11:08:35 PM »
10 years ago I was starting to shop for my wedding dress. I had never been inside a bridal shop before, and had no idea of the protocol of making an appointment.

There was only one bridal store in my town, so I thought that I should start there, keeping it local. So I just walked in (with my guy, since he has better fashion sense than I do). The women behind the counter, once they noticed me, decided that the best way to keep me as a customer was to treat me to a blistering diatribe about how inappropriate it was to bring a man to buy a wedding dress, and how I couldn't possibly be serious since I hadn't made an appointment. I was so taken aback by it, I just stood there for a moment, then walked out.

They, rather unsurprisingly given their saleswomen, went out of business within a year. I did a little mental happy dance when I drove past and saw the vacant building. I got my wedding dress in an entirely different state (with the help of my wonderful Aunt and Cousin), and did get married.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #5688 on: April 05, 2014, 01:44:09 AM »
I'm not annoyed by being carded so much as I'm wondering what she would have done if I was underage. Would she have denied my dad his purchase? What do people do when they're shopping with their teenagers and buying something age restricted? What if I had left my wallet in the car?  I get carded for everything you can possibly be carded for. M rated video games, R rated movies. . .and now things I'm not actually buying.  When I was 16-17 I was never carded for anything at all ever; incuding being with my parents when they purchased something age restricted.

Edited to add; I've been shopping at this store since I was five, I don't plan to not not shop there, I was just sharing an annoying experience. I kinda think of  the "I'm never shopping there again" thing as hyperbole.
I
By law, yes, she would have denied your dad his purchase. I'm 31 and I still get carded for everything and I do mean everything. Now I just automatically have my ID ready for anything I might get carded for and don't take it personally. Probably when you were actually 16 and 17 you looked younger and it was clear that your parents were your parents.

Redsoil

« Reply #5689 on: April 05, 2014, 06:15:02 AM »
I wonder if a new thread needs to be made for the carding stories and ages?
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5690 on: April 05, 2014, 09:56:06 AM »
If DGS takes after his father's side of the family and the taller members in my family, he may end up well over 1.5 meters or five feet tall before he's 12...possibly a couple of years earlier.  At not quite four years old, it's a little early to send notices out to the football & basketball scouts for the colleges where they live!

If you know his height at age 2, double it.  It is supposed to come within an inch of his adult height, provided there are no issues.  It didn't work for me, mind you, but then I have fibromyalgia and there has been some research about a lack of growth hormone being a contributor.  There are tall genes in my family and while I'm not short (5'5"), I'm not the 5'11" I should have been according to the formula.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Asharah

« Reply #5691 on: April 05, 2014, 12:15:25 PM »
10 years ago I was starting to shop for my wedding dress. I had never been inside a bridal shop before, and had no idea of the protocol of making an appointment.

There was only one bridal store in my town, so I thought that I should start there, keeping it local. So I just walked in (with my guy, since he has better fashion sense than I do). The women behind the counter, once they noticed me, decided that the best way to keep me as a customer was to treat me to a blistering diatribe about how inappropriate it was to bring a man to buy a wedding dress, and how I couldn't possibly be serious since I hadn't made an appointment. I was so taken aback by it, I just stood there for a moment, then walked out.

They, rather unsurprisingly given their saleswomen, went out of business within a year. I did a little mental happy dance when I drove past and saw the vacant building. I got my wedding dress in an entirely different state (with the help of my wonderful Aunt and Cousin), and did get married.
With all the stories I've read here, I sometimes wonder if bridal shops go out of thir way to hire rude, nasty saleswomen. Or simply dummies who don't grasp the fact that it's about making the customer happy. If you go back to page one on this thread, one of the first stories was a bridal shop saleswoman who could not comprehend that a bride specifically saying "No train!" was not a cue to spend the entire appointment trying to convince bride that she really did want a train.
Asharah

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #5692 on: April 07, 2014, 08:12:39 PM »
The Super 8 Toronto East in Scarborough, Ontario, I JUST finished posting this to Trip Advisor, and wanted to share with you all!

My friend and I spent the weekend at the Super 8, and while the motel was clean and quiet, no bugs, we won't be returning!

We were leaving to go out for the day Saturday, and my friend had commented to the housekeeper that was in the room next to us, about the dirty coffee maker, and the housekeeper asked, do we want our room to be cleaned, so we said yes, we do. We get back from the mall, and when we were getting ready to go out for the evening, she discovers her passport was missing from the folder, on the dresser. Nothing else was missing from there, just the passport! She looked everywhere for it, with no luck, so when we went downstairs to call for a taxi, she mentioned the missing pasport to the desk clerk, who had asked the housekeeper in question about, and she got all defensive, saying she wasn't in the room......then who made the beds, the bed fairy?

My friend had also told the desk clerk that she was worried about identity theft, and how she was going to contact the RCMP, well, suddenly  yesterday morning, with the do not disturb sign out, housekeeping tried to get into the room, didn't even knock, and my friend told her that the sign was out for a reason.

We go to check out this morning, and tell the desk clerk what had happened, and what should magically be in lost and found? The missing passport! Housekeeping must have felt guilty after hearing that she was going to press charges, and tried to sneak it back into our room yesterday, but was thwarted when we were still there.I told my friend to be careful, she could have copied it, and to keep an eye on her credit rating.

This incident left a bad taste in my mouth regarding this hotel , otherwise I would have given it a better rating.

DIdn't use the tiny pool or hot tub or partake in the breakfast, so can't comment on that!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5693 on: April 07, 2014, 08:34:02 PM »
That is grounds for dismissal. Wow.  >:(

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #5694 on: April 07, 2014, 09:29:05 PM »
Forget trip advisor, I would call Super 8 corporate, and file an RCMP complaint - passport theft (or even just "borrowing") is a Really Big Deal.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5695 on: April 07, 2014, 09:49:05 PM »
Forget trip advisor, I would call Super 8 corporate, and file an RCMP complaint - passport theft (or even just "borrowing") is a Really Big Deal.

This. I'd still report it even though it came "back" if nothing else, there's a paper trail sowing an incident with the passport

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5696 on: April 08, 2014, 12:46:47 PM »

Absolutely! I might consider filing a police report anyway so that there'd be a paper trail. It's doubtful that this was the first or last time the housekeeper stole.

I can't believe the manager didn't question how the passport ended up in the lost and found. If the story was legit and someone honestly found it in a hallway or something, wouldn't someone at the front desk know about that? Whoever was on duty would have had to accept it. And it would have had a name on it, why didn't someone cross reference guest's names so they could call her ASAP and return it? What if the guest hadn't mentioned it again while checking out, staff was just going to leave a passport in lost and found? I doubt that very much. Someone snuck it into L&F and there's only one reason to do that - they didn't want anyone to know who "found" it!

djinnidjream

« Reply #5697 on: April 08, 2014, 01:33:41 PM »

With all the stories I've read here, I sometimes wonder if bridal shops go out of thir way to hire rude, nasty saleswomen. Or simply dummies who don't grasp the fact that it's about making the customer happy. If you go back to page one on this thread, one of the first stories was a bridal shop saleswoman who could not comprehend that a bride specifically saying "No train!" was not a cue to spend the entire appointment trying to convince bride that she really did want a train.

I think they do.  I got my dress from a local shop- they sold me a dress off the rack for a reasonable price and then there were some alterations that had to be done.  It seemed like every time I went in for a fitting, there was a new charge I had to pay.  One time, they charged me over $100.00 for some reason or another- no warning, and I just didn't have the money right then- I told them that I would take care of it the next time I came in.  I was a few months away from the dress being done so it wasn't like I was going to run off with it or anything.  So a week or two later, I set up a fitting so my sister could see the dress- I had some concerns about how it was fitting.  The owner of the shop stood in the fitting room with the invoice in her hand the entire time I was there and marched up to me with it once we were done.  She made me feel about an inch tall- I even already had my checkbook out to pay before she said anything.  I was very glad to be done with her when the dress was done.  Later on, my co-worker's fiancÚ told me that she had gone into that same shop (about 6 months after my wedding) to look at jewelry.  The owner hovered over them like they were going to steal something.  They left without buying anything.  I still laugh to myself when I drive past that store and see it went out of business.
Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #5698 on: April 08, 2014, 02:40:39 PM »
I guess I can see a sort of strained logic to: "A wedding dress is an expensive purchase" -> "We are an expensive, high-end shop" -> "We should be particular (snobs) about those who are allowed to buy from us," but I can't imagine it's good for business in many cases. After all, buying a wedding/bridesmaid dress is hardly restricted to one economic class!
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #5699 on: April 08, 2014, 02:54:18 PM »
When I went wedding dress shopping, about two decades ago, I had no clue how to do it, so i literally drove down a shopping street and popped into several stores.  One was all in Spanish.  That was actually kind of fun!

But, the fancy dress shop that was small sizes only and pretty much appointment only, took me in anyway, and held up dresses to me, and explained what shapes and styles would work for me.  And even though I could not afford anything from them, and I think they knew it, it was good practice for both of us. 

They made me less nervous and I was able to find the right dress, that same day, affordably, from a Bridal Warehouse.  I still see the photos and smile! 

Not that I could have sent dozens of brides their way to the boutique shop, or that I got rich quick and was able to buy bridesmaid dresses there,  but, treating each person that walks through the door as a potential and valued customer is the way to run a business.

Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.