Author Topic: Kate Perry--inside joke or really poor manners?  (Read 4048 times)

Yarnspinner

Kate Perry--inside joke or really poor manners?
« on: September 16, 2010, 06:59:59 PM »
Singer Kate Perry called out her one time crush at her high school and scolded him for not giving her the time of day when they were students.  (I don't have the link and wouldn't know how to link it up if I did.)

In an interview, he said that he doesn't remember her having a crush on him at all, that they had always been friends and he thought it was just a way for her to segue into her song about jilted loves. 

So, do you think it was a publicity stunt, an in-joke between them or just really bad behavior on her part?  In the video I thought she sounded  more joke-y than really peeved, but it was only a little snip.  Anyone else see it or have opinions?  If she was really holding on to a grudge all these years, I think it shows her to be immature and he comes off looking very classy.

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
Re: Kate Perry--inside joke or really poor manners?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 07:27:25 PM »
I assume you are talking about Katy Perry?

Did she actually use his name?

Peggy Gus

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 08:13:11 PM »

jimithing

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 08:23:27 PM »
It definitely has a feeling of sour grapes to me, but then again, who of us hasn't sort of wanted to rub it in, to that guy who didn't give us the time of day, or the girl who bullied us? I can relate, but I'm not sure if it's the classiest move.

Amava

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 08:29:25 PM »
So the guy didn't want to date her in highschool.

What of it?

Was she maybe thinking that he would regret that now that she was famous? That everyone would want to date her or have dated her now? That's kind of an interesting assumption on her part!

I wouldn't want to date her either. :P  >:D

jimithing

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 08:40:58 PM »
Ugggh, I just read that he was actually sitting in the audience when she did this! How awkward for him. Totally classless.

SiotehCat

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 08:47:22 PM »
Ugggh, I just read that he was actually sitting in the audience when she did this! How awkward for him. Totally classless.

I wonder if maybe she knew this and it was really a joke?

jimithing

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 09:01:36 PM »
She was clowning around.   It wasn't a grudge--there were a whole lot of high school students there and apparently some from her class.  She told stories about high school and that was part of it.

It wasn't serious--she was just ribbing him.

I haven't been able to watch it, since I'm at work. I did read many of the comments in the link, and it sounded like most of the people didn't think so. I will watch it when I get home.

jimithing

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 09:09:57 PM »
OK, here's his side:

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2010/09/exclusive-interview-katy-perrys-high-school-crush-reacts-her-public-diss

Sounds like he was taken off guard and kind of embarrassed, but wasn't really upset. He said he wishes she had talked to him before, or brought him up on stage so he could respond.

Meh. I still don't know if it's the most polite to call someone out and put them on the spot like that, especially since he works there, but given that information, it's not the most egregious offense.

Akarui Kibuno

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 05:22:46 AM »
The fact that he's cool with it is fine, I guess it's a "know your audience" thing, although I wouldn't have dedicated *that* song to him.

So I guess she's lucky that he didn't take it badly :) .

(With that said, I would totally date a girl like her. I wonder what it would be like  ;D )
My FB rants blog (English) - My personal site (French)
A click on one of the ads every so often would help a lot if possible. Thank you <3 .

MissRose

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 06:39:10 AM »
I am glad the guy had no issues with Katy mentioning him & their high school years.

I still cant get over at my 10 year school reunion with a few guys asking me if I was married.  Then again they were the same ones who ignored me in high school because of my plain looks & clothing.  ::)

GirlyJock

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 08:46:31 PM »
Wait, isn't she engaged? AWK-ward.

Allyson

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 01:21:25 PM »
If he's cool with it, that's one thing. But can I just say I really hate the attitude of 'I'm so successful now, all you people in high school who ignored me, aren't you regretting it NOW?' Uh, why? I'm not going to go out with someone I don't find attractive, or be friends with someone I've got nothing in common with, on the assumption that they might be rich/famous in the future. Same with the whole 'ugly duckling to swan getting revenge on people who weren't falling all over him/her' trope. It's one thing if these people were actively mean, but if they just didn't date/weren't close, I really don't get it.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 09:19:34 AM »
If he's cool with it, that's one thing. But can I just say I really hate the attitude of 'I'm so successful now, all you people in high school who ignored me, aren't you regretting it NOW?' Uh, why? I'm not going to go out with someone I don't find attractive, or be friends with someone I've got nothing in common with, on the assumption that they might be rich/famous in the future. Same with the whole 'ugly duckling to swan getting revenge on people who weren't falling all over him/her' trope. It's one thing if these people were actively mean, but if they just didn't date/weren't close, I really don't get it.

Thank you. That annoys me in romcoms, and in real life makes the announcer look silly.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Amava

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2010, 01:18:58 PM »

I do not like that attitude either.
So if someone I did not want to date / marry  when I was younger, is rich and/or famous now, so what?
I'm married to my husband now, and I wouldn't swap him for anyone else!

And what if I *had* dated someone in the past, who is famous now? Would that make me a more interesting person? My value lies in "who I am", not in "who I have dated".