Author Topic: Ben Affleck Apologizes To Boston  (Read 4828 times)

sbtier

• Super Hero!
Re: Ben Affleck Apologizes To Boston
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2010, 02:50:13 PM »
The interesting thing, is that while the movie is really entertaining, it doesn't really paint the suburb of Charlestown, in the most positive light. It has a few quote in the beginning of the movie which makes it sound like every young man who grew up there becomes a bank robber, just like all kids who grow up in Compton grow up to be gang members. So, in a sense, it perpetuates a stereotype.
My parents are from Charlestown and I grew up a few blocks from there.  I must be a thug!   ;D
P.S. Charlestown isn't a suburb, it's part of Boston.

Synergy

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2010, 02:33:49 AM »
Speaking of movie productions disturbing the locals...

I understand that during filming of a civil war era film, a movie crew simply took over one of the many squares in Savannah.   They covered the paved road with a layer of dirt, blocked access to and from the homes surrounding the square and "instructed" the local residents to remain indoors or otherwise out of site during the filming.

One resident took umbrage.  He reportedly hung a Nazi flag from his front porch, effectively halting filming.    There was little the producers or the city could do, as his home was in most of the shots.

The producers wound up meeting with the local residents and coming to an agreement to compensate them for their inconvenience.  Which, IMHO, they should have done from the start.

yupitsme

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2010, 03:06:33 PM »
The interesting thing, is that while the movie is really entertaining, it doesn't really paint the suburb of Charlestown, in the most positive light. It has a few quote in the beginning of the movie which makes it sound like every young man who grew up there becomes a bank robber, just like all kids who grow up in Compton grow up to be gang members. So, in a sense, it perpetuates a stereotype.
My parents are from Charlestown and I grew up a few blocks from there.  I must be a thug!   ;D
P.S. Charlestown isn't a suburb, it's part of Boston.

I agree that this movie made people from Boston and Charlestown look bad. I'm from Boston. I saw the movie and didn't like it. I think he should have apologized for the way he made Boston look. (or for the awful Boston accent he does! He's from Boston!!!)

Jan74

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2010, 11:11:38 AM »

I'm still waiting for my apology from Christian Bale.

Are you sure you want one? Cause that would be one loud, ranty "apology".  ;D

Flora Louise

• Nothing like champagne for a champagne occasion.
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2010, 02:18:23 PM »
Bwah!
Just because you're disappointed in me doesn't mean I did anything wrong.

crella

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2011, 01:10:16 AM »
but the accents were worse.

Oh no. I avoid any made-for-TV movie about the Kennedy clan, etc just for that reason. There's no reason for Ben Affleck to have a bad accent though ???

Fluffy Cat

• Formerly MoretaTorene
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2011, 01:13:06 AM »
What disruption?  ;)

No need to apologise IMO, its the price of living in a city.
"Its so fluffy I could DIE"