Author Topic: Thank you for letting me bid on the job?  (Read 2678 times)

random numbers

Thank you for letting me bid on the job?
« on: September 20, 2010, 12:51:43 AM »
I know that after a job interview, one should always send a thank you. But what if it is really bidding on a freelance job, and you were asked to come in at less than 24 hours notice to talk to people?

Simple politeness, if it were a job interview, I would send thanks to all the people involved. But it feels strange to thank them when I was the one solicited and I rearranged my schedule because they needed to move forward quickly. They did thank me verbally for accommodating them so quickly.

Anyone on management side have any insight?

Thanks.

TomOBedlam

Re: Thank you for letting me bid on the job?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 02:06:07 AM »
I'll be getting my MBA in 8 months.  Does that count?  ;D

The way I look at it, a thank you from you to them communicates, "Thank you for giving me the opportunity to bid and thank you for thinking that I am capable of taking on this job."  Of course, one doesn't want to put it exactly that way, but that's ultimately it.  They evaluated you as a potential contractor and determined, at least on the preliminary level, that you were capable of and suitable for the job.

My impression of how the hiring company will view it is that you're the kind of person who keeps on top of what they are expected to do and follows up well.  Two very positive things for them to think of you.  It may also reassert you (and their project) in someone's mind, possibly accelerating their decision-making process.

My thought is: send the thank you.

rhirhi

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 03:47:08 AM »
From the side of bidding on a job, I don't think the Thank You ball is in your court, honestly. Just like I would not expect a thanks from my mechanic for giving him the chance to give an estimate.

I don't know, but I'm interested.

(I have an additional thought, but I can't seem to form it into a statement...maybe if I get some rest)

random numbers

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 03:04:58 PM »
How about "Thanks for the chance to show you my work" or something to that effect?

StressedGroom

• Mr. Goblue2539
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 01:35:12 PM »
I don't necessarily send a separate thank you note, but everytime I send a proposal (or bid) I always thank them for the opportunity to quote the project.

bah12

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 04:24:27 PM »
I would thank them anyway...even if they asked you to rearrange your schedule, I'm assuming that since you did, it's a job you want.  And they did, afterall, think of you and give you the opportunity to bid.

A short note that says "Thank you for giving me the opportunity to bid on your project" should suffice.