Author Topic: Easy potato bake recipe?  (Read 2720 times)

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
Easy potato bake recipe?
« on: December 24, 2006, 11:01:16 AM »
Does anyone have a really easy potato bake recipe? My cousin gave me one that requires you to pour cream over the potatoes before you bake them, but a) that seems too fattening and b) I don't have any cream nor can I get any at this late stage. What can I use instead?

Help, please!

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

kkl123

Re: Easy potato bake recipe?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2006, 02:17:34 PM »
The unfortunate truth of the matter is that fat carries flavor, and the recipe is likely to taste pretty flat if you substitute, say, skim milk for the cream. 

Given the constraints, I'd make a medium white sauce with whatever milk you have available, and butter or margarine, dilute it 50-50 with a good canned low-sodium chicken broth, and use that in place of the cream.  Consider boosting whatever aromatics there are in teh recipe (celery, carrot, onion, garlic, seasonings).  If you've got some stray mushrooms around,
add those, too. 

T'Mar of Vulcan

• Super Hero!
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2006, 01:37:04 AM »
Given the constraints, I'd make a medium white sauce with whatever milk you have available, and butter or margarine, dilute it 50-50 with a good canned low-sodium chicken broth, and use that in place of the cream.  Consider boosting whatever aromatics there are in teh recipe (celery, carrot, onion, garlic, seasonings).  If you've got some stray mushrooms around, add those, too. 

Thanks for the ideas! I actually do have mushrooms! I think I can actually do this now.

See... I don't cook. I make eggs and things you can fry in a pan, like hamburger patties, fish, etc. And pasta. I've never tried potato bake before but I wanted to make something a bit different, since it's only my mother and myself for Christmas.

kkl123

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2006, 05:19:12 PM »
Ah, now, you see?  You can cook.  You just haven't found out that you can cook yet. 

And the sauce you made is halfway between a bechamel (white sauce) and a veloute (a white sauce made with stock instead of milk).  So now you know two of the "mother sauces" of classic French cooking.  Take a veloute and lemon juice and shallots (or onions), and you've got Sauce Bercy.  Shallots and butter: Sauce Bonnefoy.  Just butter: Sauce Allemande.  Chives and tarragon: Sauce Ravigote.

Panfry some top round or some sirloin or a chicken breast (it's no harder than a hamburger) and drizzle a little (Tbsp?) of the sauce over the top, add some steamed green beans with a little lemon juice and tiny pinch of nutmeg and a dab of butter, some fresh sliced tomatoes and some decent crusty bread, and you've got a fairly respectable meal that looks like a whole lot more than the 20 minutes you spent on it.  Go really wild and pan-toast some  sliced almonds for a couple of minutes before you start on the meat, and put them on the chicken breast or the green beans just before serving for even fancier.  Core a good apple like a Braeburn and nuke it in the microwave with a Tbsp of water, a half-teaspoon of butter, and a dusting of cinnamon, and call it dessert.  $25 restaurant meal for maybe $4-5 at home, and it's probably healthier food than you'd get in a restaurant or out of the freezer case because you control the fats and salt and sugar.

If you're interested in exploring some other avenues of cooking, there are a lot of good cookbooks out there, and tv programs, too.  One that I like a lot because it tends to explain the *why* is America's Test Kitchen, and the recipes in their "Family Cookbook" are pretty reliable and thoroughly explained.  Alton Brown is another possibility for entry level cooking that's  pretty non-threatening and looks like a whole lot more trouble than it is.

ZipTheWonder

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 10:44:44 PM »
There is an easy, easy potato recipe in last month's Fine Cooking.  I think I can reproduce it.  My family liked this a lot, and I would serve this dish for breakfast as well as dinner.

Boil red potatoes.  Line a cookie sheet with tin foil  After the potatoes are cooked and while they are still warm, 'flatten' them with the palm of your hand.  Your goal is to 'break' the peel and create a small 'pancake' about 1/4" thick.  Don't compact them.  Spread the potatoes on the covered cookie sheet, brush each with olive oil, then season with coarse-ground salt and pepper.  Flip them over and add more oil, salt and pepper.  Bake them at about 425 for about 40 minutes or so, turning halfway through.  You want crispy but not hard, so adjust accordingly.  Much easier than french fries or hash browns and just as tasty.

T'Mar of Vulcan

• Super Hero!
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 12:59:01 AM »
There is an easy, easy potato recipe in last month's Fine Cooking.  I think I can reproduce it. 

Thanks! In the end I made up my own recipe from various ones I found on the Net. Instead of cream (my aunt's idea) or chicken stock (my cousin), I just made mushroom packet soup and used that. And it came out SO great!! I had thirds, and I usually hate my own cooking. But I really want to try your recipe too!!

Bake them at about 425 for about 40 minutes or so,

My oven only goes up to 200! Gasp!! That's because it's in Celsius, of course. ;) (And I do have a temperature converter.)

T'Mar of Vulcan

• Super Hero!
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 01:00:41 AM »
Forgot one thing! This is the recipe I used (cobbled together from several!)

Marina's Potato Bake

Ingredients

5 large or 7 medium potatoes
1 or 2 onions
3 packets Knorr mushroom soup
Pinch olive oil
Salt
Aromat

Method

Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
Peel potatoes and cut into slices of slightly less than 1cm
Peel onion and dice
Make 2 packets mushroom soup according to instructions on packet
Grease Pyrex/casserole dish with olive oil
Make 1 layer of potato, add diced onion
Salt and Aromat lightly
Pour soup to coat layer
Make next layer of potato & onion
Salt & Aromat
Pour soup to coat layer
Make last layer, salt & Aromat
Pour soup to coat layer
Make last packet of soup and drench all layers
Cover with foil (shiny side down)
Bake for about 1 and 1/4 hours
(Check every so often until potatoes are tender)
Remove foil and bake for another 5 - 10 minutes
Remove from oven and serve

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 06:54:40 PM »
My favorite recipe is so easy, it doesn't even have numbers :-)

1)  Cut up potatoes into chunks.  (I usually use smallish red potatoes cut into quarters or sixths.)

2)  Put them in a bowl.

3)  Pour a dollop of olive oil in the bowl.

4)  Toss the potatoes around (with your hands or a large spoon) to coat as many of the potatoes with the oil as possible.

5)  Repeat steps 3 and 4 until the potatoes are all coated at least a bit.

6)  Dump on some salt, rosemary (powdered or crumbled), and a little pepper.  Toss the potatoes around a bit more.

7)  Put the potatoes in a casserole dish and bake at 350 degrees F until they're cooked.

This takes about ten minutes to prepare and less than an hour to cook (depending on how many you're doing).  And tastes really good.