Author Topic: Making a resume when most of your past employers are out of business  (Read 947 times)

Cupcake Fiend

• Yummy!
  • Super Hero!
  • "These are the days of miracle & wonder..."
It's not my fault, I promise!

But seriously...of the 6 major jobs I have had in my adult life, 4 of the companies I worked for have either gone out of business since I left them or been absorbed into other companies, which were then absorbed into still another company.  ::)

How do you list those companies on a resume?

TaylorMade

Re: Making a resume when most of your past employers are out of business
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 12:48:43 AM »
The same way you would list a business if it was still in business!

Since you do not include contact information on a resume there is no need to even explain that the company is out of business now..

Johns Dog Walkers                    Aug 08 - Sept 09
Nashville, TN
-Walked really big dogs every day
-Brushed fur from the big dogs

Next company :)

Cupcake Fiend

• Yummy!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 12:58:04 AM »
The same way you would list a business if it was still in business!

Since you do not include contact information on a resume there is no need to even explain that the company is out of business now..

Johns Dog Walkers                    Aug 08 - Sept 09
Nashville, TN
-Walked really big dogs every day
-Brushed fur from the big dogs

Next company :)

You don't?  I've always listed the company name, address and phone number.  Plus I'm really looking for a part time job, probably in retail...so the applications usually ask for the contact information too.

rhirhi

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 01:15:47 AM »
I just put the city and state of the business that I worked for with an additional note that they are out of business. Usually if they are interested in those jobs, they ask enough questions to find out if I actually held the position.

I've been told that contrary to what I was told by my classes to prep me to write resumes, the companies just want to know a city/state, not really interested in an address.

TaylorMade

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 01:26:23 AM »
Like Rhirhi said, on an actual resume you will just list the city and state.

Since you are looking for retail work you will have to fill out an application.  In those instances you fill in all the information you have, but in the phone number and address areas just write "Out of Business" or "No Longer In Business"

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 02:50:47 AM »
You really don't need to put contact information on the resume itself - the companies you're applying to won't call your references unless you're one of the very top candidates, anyway, in which case they will have had a separate interview with you and had the chance to ask you to fill out an additional reference form if necessary.  If you're looking for a retail job, though, be aware that only 10% of employers even check the references in the first place.  (I got this statistic from a former boss, who was the owner of a local bookstore chain.  He was one of the ones who didn't check.)  So even if they do ask to check your references, having two of the six references should be plenty!  They just want to make sure that you're not making up your whole work history, and that you have some experience somewhere.

Cupcake Fiend

• Yummy!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 07:38:04 AM »
That is good to know...I've probably been boring the heck out of my potential employers for years now, haha.  I think for now I will just bring my basic one that has all the contact info on it, because at least two of the places I am going to apply at have computer terminals to sit at to fill out the applications.

Yay, job hunting.  :P

Elfqueen13

• Adventures in House Hunting!
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 09:41:19 AM »
I have a couple of those as well, I usually list them as "Division of huge company (now independent company)" or "Small business (now part of Large Company)".  Those HR records have to go somewhere, and in the case of the division that became it's own company, I have no idea who has those records.

Also, if you keep your tax forms, those can be used as proof of prior employment as well. Big John's Dog Walking Company may have gone under because Big John owes the IRS a trillion dollars but you have tax forms showing that they paid you from June 2007 until August 2009 (or whatever).
Follow along on my house hunt!  http://ulfrslady.livejournal.com/

Cellardoor14

• caviar and cigarettes... well versed in etiquette
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 09:43:31 AM »
I've used the phrase "No Longer Trading" on application forms.

Though on my CV/resume I just have the company's general location.

rhirhi

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 01:07:11 PM »
An extra bit of information on retail shops- I tried this when I was job hunting. I applied twice at the same business, within a few weeks of each app. I was not called back when I turned in the real resume, but when I filled in very basic information about my previous jobs (went from 'legal secretary and accountant' to 'receptionist and bookkeeper') and 'dumbed down' my application and got the job.

I even asked (after being hired) about the old resume, and was told that I sounded over qualified and they thought I'd get bored. In actuality, they wanted people who were not as educated about the ways of business (this was just this particular business, not trying to lump) so that they could do some sketchy practices. I'm young enough to be considered 'too stupid to know better', but I know a lot more than people know. I just don't 'get smart' until my probation period is up.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 01:27:18 PM »
Just list them.  Companies come and go all the time.

If they contact your past employers it's probably not likely they'll contact more than the last two anyway.