Author Topic: You know you've achieved nerdhood when...  (Read 102692 times)

creativecat

Re: You know you've achieved nerdhood when...
« Reply #165 on: October 18, 2010, 06:55:22 AM »
When your entire family is a music, art, book, computer, or history nut and owns more books than a library.

When you are planning your honeymoon and opt for a historical site instead of the beach.
(Or when your family throws you a history themed shower - and one of your former history teachers is there)

When you stay up late sitting on pins and needles just to see if DH actually fixed the laptop that broke 2 years ago.

When you get a kick out of spreadsheets or get a high off creating really complicated ones.

When you actually get cravings to play your favorite instrument.

When you are so type A that you come up with 10 songs rather than the original 3 that were requested by your music group...

When talking about having kids, you choose names from Star Wars books or from Beatles songs and imagine that your kids will be just as nerdy as you.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #166 on: October 18, 2010, 09:01:17 PM »
When friends of yours have a last name that begins with W, and they decide on a first name of W,and you push and rally to try and get W as a middle name also!  Alas, they choose the initials WBW instead of WWW.  wah.
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

ginlyn32

• Super Hero!
« Reply #167 on: October 18, 2010, 11:42:07 PM »
*You listen to talk radio all day.

*Your biggest fantasy is to meet the Talk Radio Host.

*You talk to your dog/cat/hamster/ferret/pet rock.

*You answer yourself in a silly voice you made up for said pet.

*You dream about meeting Adam and Jamie from Mythbusters.

*You have the Science Channel on Favorites.

*You ever read the phone book out of sheer boredom.

*You buy markers so YOU can color with them and not the kids.

*You are frequently the first person in the library or waiting for it to open.

ginlyn
Don't Tread On Me!!!!!

supernova

• thanks for all the fish
  • dancing alone
« Reply #168 on: October 19, 2010, 05:30:58 PM »

*You dream about meeting dating Adam and Jamie from Mythbusters.

*blush*

Shea

« Reply #169 on: October 19, 2010, 06:04:36 PM »
You are doing a project for class that involves creating various sorts of catalogue records, and you purposely choose The Children of Húrin as one of your books because the actual primary title is "Narn i Chîn Húrin" and it amuses you to no end to create a MARC record in Sindarin.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

Lynnv

« Reply #170 on: October 19, 2010, 10:05:29 PM »
When both you and your DH are watching a TV show that has a radio station, and both of you notice that the frequency reported (86.9) is not really a valid FM frequency (in the US).  The US broadcast band starts at 87.7 and runs to 107.9 on the FM dial.  DH at least has the excuse that he was a DJ for a public radio station at one time.  Me-I just know useless trivia like that.
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #171 on: October 22, 2010, 09:56:23 AM »
When your DH takes some pomegranate seeds and you shriek "HA! Now you must stay in the underworld for SIX MONTHS every year!"...and then get sad that no one knows what the heck you're talking about.

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
« Reply #172 on: October 22, 2010, 10:00:29 AM »
When your DH takes some pomegranate seeds and you shriek "HA! Now you must stay in the underworld for SIX MONTHS every year!"...and then get sad that no one knows what the heck you're talking about.

NO ONE knew what you were talking about?  *wanders off into a corner to weep*

Lynnv

« Reply #173 on: October 22, 2010, 12:07:06 PM »

I am headed to your corner and will weep with you.  Would you like me to bring some beer or wine to soften the blows?
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
« Reply #174 on: October 22, 2010, 12:36:05 PM »

I am headed to your corner and will weep with you.  Would you like me to bring some beer or wine to soften the blows?

Please do.  I'll have cookies waiting so we can eat and drink ourselves into a stupor that no longer remembers a time when people had no knowledge of the classics.   :'(

kitty-cat

« Reply #175 on: October 22, 2010, 12:49:45 PM »

Please do.  I'll have cookies waiting so we can eat and drink ourselves into a stupor that no longer remembers a time when people had no knowledge of the classics.   :'(

I'll join ya'll too, but I'll bring the good chocolates with me; I'm too young to drink yet, but chocolates are good too.

NE Florida

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
« Reply #176 on: October 22, 2010, 01:00:54 PM »

I'll join ya'll too, but I'll bring the good chocolates with me; I'm too young to drink yet, but chocolates are good too.

It's okay, kitty-cat, it's *virtual* wine and beer, so it doesn't count.  Otherwise I wouldn't be able to have any either.  And this is a situation that pretty much demands virtual booze and sweets.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #177 on: October 22, 2010, 01:18:58 PM »

NO ONE knew what you were talking about?  *wanders off into a corner to weep*

I am headed to your corner and will weep with you.  Would you like me to bring some beer or wine to soften the blows?

Please do.  I'll have cookies waiting so we can eat and drink ourselves into a stupor that no longer remembers a time when people had no knowledge of the classics.   :'(

It's okay, kitty-cat, it's *virtual* wine and beer, so it doesn't count.  Otherwise I wouldn't be able to have any either.  And this is a situation that pretty much demands virtual booze and sweets.

Agreed. I've been comforting myself with reeses pieces all day.

Mythology and the classics are only taught to the gifted classes in the school that my DH and his friends went to. When I asked DH if he'd ever read any of the classics, he said "uh..we read 'James and the Giant Peach' for english lit..but that was the only one..and we never studied mythology. Only the gifted kids got to study that stuff."

Then a friend of mine with an 11 year old daughter pulled her out of the gifted class because she kept crying because mythology was "too hard to learn".

One of my favorite books when I was that age was "Bullfinch's Mythology". *eats more Reeses Pieces* please pass me the wine...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 01:20:39 PM by LadyClaire »

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #178 on: October 22, 2010, 01:40:57 PM »
Agreed. I've been comforting myself with reeses pieces all day.

I comfort myself with the thought that the kids I teach will at least know a few stories out of Greek mythology when they leave my class. And what a narcissus flower looks like.  :D

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

Hexteacher

• The time has come to grow old disgracefully.
« Reply #179 on: October 22, 2010, 02:36:48 PM »
I suspect that the numbers of youngsters knowing a bit about Greek Mythology might start to go up in the near future.  The Percy Jackson books (Lightning Thief etc), are getting popular.
it's ALIVE!! IT'S ALIVE!!!! IT'S.......oh bugger it's coming right for me..." Baron Von Frankenstein.