Author Topic: You know you've achieved nerdhood when...  (Read 93312 times)

Lynnv

Re: You know you've achieved nerdhood when...
« Reply #180 on: October 22, 2010, 05:49:48 PM »
Agreed. I've been comforting myself with reeses pieces all day.

Mythology and the classics are only taught to the gifted classes in the school that my DH and his friends went to. When I asked DH if he'd ever read any of the classics, he said "uh..we read 'James and the Giant Peach' for english lit..but that was the only one..and we never studied mythology. Only the gifted kids got to study that stuff."

Then a friend of mine with an 11 year old daughter pulled her out of the gifted class because she kept crying because mythology was "too hard to learn".

One of my favorite books when I was that age was "Bullfinch's Mythology". *eats more Reeses Pieces* please pass me the wine...

I loved myths, fairy tales and legends as a kid.  It was all just stories, and I was an avid reader, even at that age.  I have my grandmother's copy of "Bullfinch's Mythology" and may have to get it out this evening in reaction.  I don't ever recall studying it in school-I just liked it so read the stories on my own (my school was small enough that there were really no gifted classes).

Here is a nice glass of red wine for you.  I also grabbed a bottle of port from DH's stash (tawny, if you care) and will be opening it soon.  I brought some cheese and crackers so that we had something of substance to go with the chocolate and alcoholic beverages.  :>
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

MizB

« Reply #181 on: October 22, 2010, 09:48:26 PM »
When you turn down tv packages based on whether or not they have history, discovery, travel and food network channels.
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’  attributed to Edmund Burke 1729-1797

kitty-cat

« Reply #182 on: October 22, 2010, 10:13:52 PM »
When you turn down tv packages based on whether or not they have history, discovery, travel and food network channels.

Corrallary is when you convice your parents that ya'll need the next level up so you can get those networks...

NE Florida

bookworm317

• Proud child of the 80's
« Reply #183 on: October 22, 2010, 11:33:39 PM »
Agreed. I've been comforting myself with reeses pieces all day.

Mythology and the classics are only taught to the gifted classes in the school that my DH and his friends went to. When I asked DH if he'd ever read any of the classics, he said "uh..we read 'James and the Giant Peach' for english lit..but that was the only one..and we never studied mythology. Only the gifted kids got to study that stuff."

Then a friend of mine with an 11 year old daughter pulled her out of the gifted class because she kept crying because mythology was "too hard to learn".
One of my favorite books when I was that age was "Bullfinch's Mythology". *eats more Reeses Pieces* please pass me the wine...

...........How is mythology 'too hard'?!

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #184 on: October 23, 2010, 12:59:05 AM »
I loved myths, fairy tales and legends as a kid.  It was all just stories, and I was an avid reader, even at that age.  I have my grandmother's copy of "Bullfinch's Mythology" and may have to get it out this evening in reaction.  I don't ever recall studying it in school-I just liked it so read the stories on my own (my school was small enough that there were really no gifted classes).

We didn't study it a lot, but my English teacher in 7th grade took us all to the theatre to watch "Clash of the Titans" when it came out (1981). Then we discussed the mythology. I also bought books on the topic because, come on - Greek mythology is AWESOME!

I don't know how people can follow references in movies, etc without knowing at least some Greek mythology. When I was doing a week-long course for OBE, the English presenter asked us, "So who was Prometheus?" I was the only person who knew!!! In a room of 40 teachers!!! And what gets me is how modern writers often present the stories of, say, Sisyphus and Tantalus as terrible tragedies because all they know is their punishments in the underworld. "Oh, the guy with the rock. The guy who tried to eat/drink and the branches bent away..." If they knew the legends they'd know those guys got what was coming to them.

Sorry, I went on a bit there.  ;D Greek (I made a typo the first time and typed "Geek", heh) mythology underpins a lot of our modern culture. I think people need to know this stuff.

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #185 on: October 23, 2010, 12:53:29 PM »
I loved myths, fairy tales and legends as a kid.  It was all just stories, and I was an avid reader, even at that age.  I have my grandmother's copy of "Bullfinch's Mythology" and may have to get it out this evening in reaction.  I don't ever recall studying it in school-I just liked it so read the stories on my own (my school was small enough that there were really no gifted classes).

We didn't study it a lot, but my English teacher in 7th grade took us all to the theatre to watch "Clash of the Titans" when it came out (1981). Then we discussed the mythology. I also bought books on the topic because, come on - Greek mythology is AWESOME!

I don't know how people can follow references in movies, etc without knowing at least some Greek mythology. When I was doing a week-long course for OBE, the English presenter asked us, "So who was Prometheus?" I was the only person who knew!!! In a room of 40 teachers!!! And what gets me is how modern writers often present the stories of, say, Sisyphus and Tantalus as terrible tragedies because all they know is their punishments in the underworld. "Oh, the guy with the rock. The guy who tried to eat/drink and the branches bent away..." If they knew the legends they'd know those guys got what was coming to them.

Sorry, I went on a bit there.  ;D Greek (I made a typo the first time and typed "Geek", heh) mythology underpins a lot of our modern culture. I think people need to know this stuff.

THIS!

I picked up Edith Hamilton's 'Mythology' when I was nine. (It had a flying horse on the cover, how cool!) I've been a mythology ever since. I don't understand how someone can go through school without having a bit of Classical background.  It makes so many things more understandable, and strings together what otherwise might be a whole bunch of unrelated cultural dialogues.

I was lucky though. In sixth grade, The Illiad and The Odyssey were read to us for story time. I helped with the name pronunciations.  ;D
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
  • Paws for a smile
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #186 on: October 23, 2010, 03:12:46 PM »

When you refuse to watch the discovery channel because you disagree too much with how they roduce some of their documentaries.

Ferrets

• "Rugby referees are like bees. They communicate through interpretative dance movements."
  • Dych chi'n moyn dishgled?
« Reply #187 on: October 24, 2010, 03:44:22 PM »
When you refuse to watch the discovery channel because you disagree too much with how they produce some of their documentaries.

When you watch even the shoddily-done ones anyway, just because they use battle footage from your re-enactment society's events.

"That's Bob...that's Laura....ooh, there's Steve...aha! See there? In the middle of the advancing ranks? Fourteenth hat from the left?* That's ME." ;D

*I always seem to end up behind the massive musketeer built like a brick outhouse, so my television stardom is limited to my hat and occasional flash of left sleeve. ::)

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
  • Paws for a smile
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #188 on: October 24, 2010, 03:54:28 PM »
When you refuse to watch the discovery channel because you disagree too much with how they produce some of their documentaries.

When you watch even the shoddily-done ones anyway, just because they use battle footage from your re-enactment society's events.

"That's Bob...that's Laura....ooh, there's Steve...aha! See there? In the middle of the advancing ranks? Fourteenth hat from the left?* That's ME." ;D

*I always seem to end up behind the massive musketeer built like a brick outhouse, so my television stardom is limited to my hat and occasional flash of left sleeve. ::)

Ah, the green eyed monster strikes again :D

faithlessone

« Reply #189 on: October 24, 2010, 04:01:06 PM »

Hehe! I'm the same. My ballet school made the local news, and I watched the footage carefully about eighty times, before realising that the only bit of me you could see was the edge of my tutu. One of the older girls managed to be perfectly between me and the camera for the entire three minute clip.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #190 on: October 24, 2010, 10:23:01 PM »
I had some old guy I don't recognize come up to me at church last month and tell me "I saw you on TV!"  I almost asked if he had gone to Dragon*Con - he totally didn't look the type - but about five minutes later I remembered I had been on the local TV station a month earlier for my search dog team  :-[  Glad I didn't ask about Dragon*Con out loud!

kitty-cat

« Reply #191 on: October 25, 2010, 07:10:47 AM »
I had a moment of sad yesterday. I was at initiation for Theta and all of the actives were killing time waiting for all of the new members to arrive. Everyone was goofing off (we had all been there since at least 7 am. It was now 9:15...) and I had given up trying to sleep before we started. So, in the spirit of what everyone else was doing, I took the blanket I had brought with me and did "Matchmaker, matchmaker, make me a match".

The friend that was standing next to me asked "Oh, from Mrs. Doubtfire?"

Part of me died.

NE Florida

MizB

« Reply #192 on: October 25, 2010, 09:21:59 AM »
I would've known and I know a whole school district (granted its a small one)that would know what you are talking about.
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’  attributed to Edmund Burke 1729-1797

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #193 on: October 25, 2010, 03:08:13 PM »

NO ONE knew what you were talking about?  *wanders off into a corner to weep*

I am headed to your corner and will weep with you.  Would you like me to bring some beer or wine to soften the blows?

Please do.  I'll have cookies waiting so we can eat and drink ourselves into a stupor that no longer remembers a time when people had no knowledge of the classics.   :'(

If it makes anyone feel better, my 14yo DS is cuurently doing a Norse mythology unit in school. I'm not able to discuss it in much depth with him because I mostly stuck to Greek and Roman.  :)

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #194 on: October 30, 2010, 03:20:14 PM »
When your entire family:

a)knows the words to the theme song from "The Big Bang Theory"

b)sings along

c)pauses the show to discuss the formulas on Sheldon's white board and

d)decides to replicate the "non-newtonian fluid" experiement with the bass speaker.