Author Topic: You know you've achieved nerdhood when...  (Read 168650 times)

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
Re: You know you've achieved nerdhood when...
« Reply #195 on: October 30, 2010, 03:37:58 PM »
When your entire family:
a)knows the words to the theme song from "The Big Bang Theory"
b)sings along

That's totally me! I sometimes pause the opening sequence to see all the cool things they use to show our world... and there are a LOT.

I have another one...

... You go to TV Tropes and spend hours on there... because you "get" each and every trope and find yourself nodding every time you read about the hatred or love fans have for certain shows/couples.

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

Thanda

« Reply #196 on: October 30, 2010, 07:39:06 PM »
When your DH takes some pomegranate seeds and you shriek "HA! Now you must stay in the underworld for SIX MONTHS every year!"...and then get sad that no one knows what the heck you're talking about.

Reading through these I was pretty sure, but this one confirms I now know I'm a nerd from way back because...
At 19 and not enrolled, attend a college Haloween party with BF (also not enrolled) as Persephone and Hades, complete with plastic fruit pomegranite I had to tote around all night, and NO ONE gets it.
<was it only my public school that had to study this in my non-AP English classes?!?>

edit: Ah, forgot about the sheath of wheat prop too.  I knew there was some reason the beer cup became exceedingly difficult to manage!  Lol
Or, more currently...

When you raise a kid who, like many his age, dabbles in spoken word music (rap) but has to dumb down his themes from political/social commentary to in-da-club just to gain a peer group following.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 07:50:40 PM by Thanda »

Daffydilly

• Live;) Laugh;( Pretend you're sane :-}
« Reply #197 on: October 31, 2010, 04:21:21 PM »
You bake pumpkin seeds and find day old pumpkin off the vine seeds don't explode, but several week off the vine seeds do. And you begin researching what the effect is between the fresh and several week old seeds.  ::)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #198 on: October 31, 2010, 04:45:56 PM »
Agreed. I've been comforting myself with reeses pieces all day.

Mythology and the classics are only taught to the gifted classes in the school that my DH and his friends went to. When I asked DH if he'd ever read any of the classics, he said "uh..we read 'James and the Giant Peach' for english lit..but that was the only one..and we never studied mythology. Only the gifted kids got to study that stuff."

Then a friend of mine with an 11 year old daughter pulled her out of the gifted class because she kept crying because mythology was "too hard to learn".
One of my favorite books when I was that age was "Bullfinch's Mythology". *eats more Reeses Pieces* please pass me the wine...

...........How is mythology 'too hard'?!

Dunno. Maybe the teacher was asking for deconstructivist analysis of Narcissus's symbolism in modern dyadic interaction?

As the saying goes,

"To make a name for learning,
When other roads are barred,
Take something very easy,
And make it very hard."
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 04:47:43 PM by Twik »
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Poirot

• Needler of threads, not threader of needles
« Reply #199 on: November 01, 2010, 12:59:00 PM »
when....the thing I'm most looking forward to is going to the midnight premiere of the new Harry Potter movie with the 26 year old son of my best friend.
A spoon! A spoon! My kingdom for a case of #%^***** spoons!

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #200 on: November 01, 2010, 01:38:44 PM »
Agreed. I've been comforting myself with reeses pieces all day.

Mythology and the classics are only taught to the gifted classes in the school that my DH and his friends went to. When I asked DH if he'd ever read any of the classics, he said "uh..we read 'James and the Giant Peach' for english lit..but that was the only one..and we never studied mythology. Only the gifted kids got to study that stuff."

Then a friend of mine with an 11 year old daughter pulled her out of the gifted class because she kept crying because mythology was "too hard to learn".
One of my favorite books when I was that age was "Bullfinch's Mythology". *eats more Reeses Pieces* please pass me the wine...

...........How is mythology 'too hard'?!

Dunno. Maybe the teacher was asking for deconstructivist analysis of Narcissus's symbolism in modern dyadic interaction?

As the saying goes,

"To make a name for learning,
When other roads are barred,
Take something very easy,
And make it very hard."

From what my friend told me, her daughter was having problems keeping the gods and goddesses straight. The mythology portion of the class was only to read the myths and take quizzes on them.

Shea

« Reply #201 on: November 01, 2010, 02:17:07 PM »
when....the thing I'm most looking forward to is going to the midnight premiere of the new Harry Potter movie with the 26 year old son of my best friend.

My friends and I are all in our twenties, and we bought tickets for the opening night of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows as soon as they were available. We're all going to dress in the colors of the houses we'd be in if we were witches and wizards. Ravenclaw for me!

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #202 on: November 01, 2010, 03:30:49 PM »
When your entire family is a music, art, book, computer, or history nut and owns more books than a library.

When you are planning your honeymoon and opt for a historical site instead of the beach. <snip>

Does it count if we went to a historical site that's on the beach?  We went to the Sylvia Beach Hotel in Newport, Oregon.

We do own quite a few books.  I'm into historical biographies, astronomy, and murder mysteries, and he's a *science wonk, although we both love Dave Barry, James White, and P.G. Wodehouse.  (He's also got a book titled "Urinalysis - a New Philosophy,"  and gets a magazine from the American College of Clinical Pathologists.  Why yes, he's a retired lab technician - how can you tell?)

* Science Wonk - a great name for a rock band.

Poirot

« Reply #203 on: November 01, 2010, 03:32:39 PM »

My friends and I are all in our twenties, and we bought tickets for the opening night of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows as soon as they were available. We're all going to dress in the colors of the houses we'd be in if we were witches and wizards. Ravenclaw for me!

I'm dressing up too! And I am a 40-something mother of 4, grandmother of 3. I'm a Raven too!

ginlyn32

• Super Hero!
« Reply #204 on: November 02, 2010, 01:08:06 PM »
I'm going to Deathly Hallows too, but I probably won't be able to convince the kids to dress up.

I've also been trying to convince DH to read Harry Potter. He's seen all the movies, we watch them whenever they're on TV and we have movies 5 and 6 on DVD. So he'll ask me about why this happened or whatever. Oh...he did ask me why Dumbeldore didn't just tell Harry about the connection between him and Voldermort in the first place. I started to launch into a long complicated explanation and said "You know, it'd just be easier if you read the books".

ginlyn
Don't Tread On Me!!!!!

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #205 on: November 02, 2010, 06:42:15 PM »
When you reread the entire HP series prior to each movie coming out. 

I restarted my round last night.  ;D
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

kitty-cat

« Reply #206 on: November 02, 2010, 10:00:27 PM »
When you reread the entire HP series prior to each movie coming out. 

I restarted my round last night.  ;D

That's nothing- I plan on re-reading book 7 while IN LINE for movie 7 :P

NE Florida

Poirot

« Reply #207 on: November 03, 2010, 12:24:09 PM »
Starting tomorrow on rereading book 7 :)

creativecat

« Reply #208 on: November 03, 2010, 06:51:31 PM »
When you're bored one weekend and do a Revenge of the Nerds marathon followed by 2 National Geographic documentaries.

When you talk to your pets like they are small humans and assume/ expect they will understand you.

When a fun way to play with your dogs is to speak to them in a foreign language or in a combination of languages - including pirate speak.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #209 on: November 03, 2010, 11:29:17 PM »

... when you can tell the Star Trek/Stargate/insert-sci-fi-show-here episode from the first 15 seconds.

Actually, a true SF show geek can give you the name of the episode with only a single non-episode-specific frame.  I saw a contest once at a Star Trek convention.  (Admittedly, this was about 35 years ago, and TOS was the only Star Trek game in town.)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~