Author Topic: You know you've achieved nerdhood when...  (Read 96878 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: You know you've achieved nerdhood when...
« Reply #210 on: November 03, 2010, 11:36:20 PM »
...when the fabric in your SCA garb is four or five times as expensive as the fabric in your everyday clothing...

This isn't normal? ???
Not necessarily -- I have an outfit known as "the $20 Italian ren".  And $10 of that was spent on the "jewels" of the trim.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #211 on: November 04, 2010, 12:48:54 AM »
Actually, a true SF show geek can give you the name of the episode with only a single non-episode-specific frame.  I saw a contest once at a Star Trek convention.  (Admittedly, this was about 35 years ago, and TOS was the only Star Trek game in town.)

I'd lose that game. I have some photostamps that a friend gave me like 25 years ago that consist of stills from episodes. Some are obvious, but there are one or two that have me completely stumped. (And I must be a geek because yes, it's been bothering me for 25 years!)

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

kitty-cat

« Reply #212 on: November 04, 2010, 12:59:43 AM »
When given an assignment in your French class to write about your favorite TV show... you write about Dr. Who.

And have the French Wikipedia page pulled up so that you get your spellings right on le Docteur.

NE Florida

vorbau

• walking around naked doesn't make you an emperor
« Reply #213 on: November 04, 2010, 02:13:07 PM »
When you conduct a scientific survey to determine which of two left-turn signals cycles more quickly.

(OK, so it wasn't the most scientific survey ever designed. I timed each signal 10 times and averaged it out. Turns out I was right, the signal at (small intersection) cycles faster than signal at (major intersection). DH now owes me dinner.)
Let's roll. (And you can't scare me; I've had teenagers.)

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #214 on: November 04, 2010, 05:25:40 PM »
When you conduct a scientific survey to determine which of two left-turn signals cycles more quickly.

(OK, so it wasn't the most scientific survey ever designed. I timed each signal 10 times and averaged it out. Turns out I was right, the signal at (small intersection) cycles faster than signal at (major intersection). DH now owes me dinner.)

Yeah, so one day while taking a break from working (landscaping), my partner and I timed the stoplight signals at the stoplight near us.  In that fifteen minutes, we worked out that one side had a 3 minute 30 second light, and the other side had only a 1 minute 15 second light.  I think I might be a nerd...

BluePaint

« Reply #215 on: November 10, 2010, 05:13:14 PM »
No matter how many football games I watch, or how many fashionable outfits I wear, or how many normal things I do, I will never be anything but the biggest nerd in the history of the world.  For my greatest moment of nerdhood was the nerdiest ever to happen in the whole history of nerddom.

I broke up with someone in World of Warcraft and continued to date him in real life.  We just decided that it was time for us to start leveling with other people.

In my defense, it was totally merited.  He didn't understand agro-mechanics at all and kept pulling hate on groups of mobs and making me offtank with my boar, then had the audacity to complain that I wasn't keeping up with him on meters when he refused to count my boar in my total!  Total n00b.  Should have expected it from a BE mage.  Scum, the lot of them.

I also am not allowed to play Taboo with normal people anymore.

"Measures the internal energy of an object!"
"THERMOMETER!"

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #216 on: November 10, 2010, 07:55:46 PM »
BluePaint -
You win. I didn't understand a word of that.
But it made me laugh ;)

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #217 on: November 10, 2010, 10:11:51 PM »

"THERMOMETER!"

Will you play with me? Pleeeeeeze?  ;D

I have been known to define maudlin as "same concept as morbid, but with more rainy day and less death."
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #218 on: November 11, 2010, 09:44:37 PM »
BluePaint -
But it made me laugh ;)

And even more scary to me, I understood every word  :P

Shea

« Reply #219 on: November 11, 2010, 10:09:39 PM »
When given an assignment in your French class to write about your favorite TV show... you write about Dr. Who.

And have the French Wikipedia page pulled up so that you get your spellings right on le Docteur.

When you read the above entry and are inspired to go find episodes of said show dubbed into French, because you are interested to see how it translates. As it turns out, Doctor Who dubbed into French is hysterical.

"Oui, mais Docteur quoi?"
"Juste le Docteur. Salut!"

"A l'intérieur, c'est beaucoup plus grande qu'à l'extérieur!"

This should not be as funny as it is.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 10:30:35 PM by Shea »

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

Information_queen

• Meaghan, her family's personal librarian
« Reply #220 on: November 11, 2010, 10:21:10 PM »
BluePaint -
But it made me laugh ;)

Same here, and I think that she was fully justified in breaking up with him :P

kitty-cat

« Reply #221 on: November 11, 2010, 10:55:40 PM »

When you read the above entry and are inspired to go find episodes of said show dubbed into French, because you are interested to see how it translates. As it turns out, Doctor Who dubbed into French is hysterical.

"Oui, mais Docteur quoi?"
"Juste le Docteur. Salut!"

"A l'intérieur, c'est beaucoup plus grande qu'à l'extérieur!"

This should not be as funny as it is.

And yet I'm cracking up in my room with the dogs looking at me like I've gone mad. I think I should sleep...

Of course, I'm also the one who, when given half an hour to write a short tale, wrote about being the Doctor's companion. IIRC, the phrase "Running, we are always running" was used :P

NE Florida

BluePaint

« Reply #222 on: November 12, 2010, 11:49:36 AM »
BluePaint -
But it made me laugh ;)

Haha!  All of you are awesome ;D

And Seraphia, we need to be a Taboo team.  The method where you explain things using overly complex terms instead of overly simple terms only works if there is someone there to understand you :)

WhiteTigerCub

« Reply #223 on: November 12, 2010, 02:47:54 PM »
BluePaint -
But it made me laugh ;)

This is so full of win!   :D

Arizona

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #224 on: November 16, 2010, 09:05:41 PM »
No matter how many football games I watch, or how many fashionable outfits I wear, or how many normal things I do, I will never be anything but the biggest nerd in the history of the world.  For my greatest moment of nerdhood was the nerdiest ever to happen in the whole history of nerddom.

I broke up with someone in World of Warcraft and continued to date him in real life.  We just decided that it was time for us to start leveling with other people.

In my defense, it was totally merited.  He didn't understand agro-mechanics at all and kept pulling hate on groups of mobs and making me offtank with my boar, then had the audacity to complain that I wasn't keeping up with him on meters when he refused to count my boar in my total!  Total n00b.  Should have expected it from a BE mage.  Scum, the lot of them.

"THERMOMETER!"

I asked Mr. Sirius to translate the WoW part, and I'm really none the wiser. 

I also thought Taboo was the game where you had to give clues to your team about words that the game gives you, without using certain words.  For instance, I once had to give clues to "bagpipes" and couldn't use the words Scotland, kilt, and a couple of other words that were related.  So I started singing one of the bagpipe standards in a very nasal voice.  They got it.  A team-member had to give clues to John Wayne without saying Pilgrim, Marion Michael Morrison, Westerns, and things of that nature.  He gave all his clues in a very bad John Wayne imitation, but we still got it.