Author Topic: You know you've achieved nerdhood when...  (Read 100910 times)

Bluenomi

Re: You know you've achieved nerdhood when...
« Reply #225 on: November 16, 2010, 09:22:19 PM »
BluePaint -
You win. I didn't understand a word of that.
But it made me laugh ;)
And even more scary to me, I understood every word  :P
Same here, and I think that she was fully justified in breaking up with him :P
Haha!  All of you are awesome ;D
And Seraphia, we need to be a Taboo team.  The method where you explain things using overly complex terms instead of overly simple terms only works if there is someone there to understand you :)

Yeah, it doesn't work very well if the people can't understand you! I do love the fact it is an American game so uses US terms. You can just use the Australian term without any dramas. You get sidewalk, you just say footpath  ;D It was annoying when they updated the cards and made Buffy a taboo work for vampire. It was really easy until then  ;)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #226 on: November 16, 2010, 10:16:24 PM »
No matter how many football games I watch, or how many fashionable outfits I wear, or how many normal things I do, I will never be anything but the biggest nerd in the history of the world.  For my greatest moment of nerdhood was the nerdiest ever to happen in the whole history of nerddom.

I broke up with someone in World of Warcraft and continued to date him in real life.  We just decided that it was time for us to start leveling with other people.

In my defense, it was totally merited.  He didn't understand agro-mechanics at all and kept pulling hate on groups of mobs and making me offtank with my boar, then had the audacity to complain that I wasn't keeping up with him on meters when he refused to count my boar in my total!  Total n00b.  Should have expected it from a BE mage.  Scum, the lot of them.

I also am not allowed to play Taboo with normal people anymore.

"Measures the internal energy of an object!"
"THERMOMETER!"

I asked Mr. Sirius to translate the WoW part, and I'm really none the wiser.  

I also thought Taboo was the game where you had to give clues to your team about words that the game gives you, without using certain words.  For instance, I once had to give clues to "bagpipes" and couldn't use the words Scotland, kilt, and a couple of other words that were related.  So I started singing one of the bagpipe standards in a very nasal voice.  They got it.  A team-member had to give clues to John Wayne without saying Pilgrim, Marion Michael Morrison, Westerns, and things of that nature.  He gave all his clues in a very bad John Wayne imitation, but we still got it.

Yep, that's exactly it.  However, there are four very easy ways to get around the rules of Taboo, if you have a like-minded person on your team:

1) Foreign languages
2) Inside jokes/stories
3) Complex synonyms
4) Song lyrics

So if you have to do "racehorse" without saying any normal horse or racetrack words, you could do things like
"Un cheval de course" or
"Uncle Milt lost lots of money on one of these named Royal Upchuck once" or
"an equine who participates in distance-based stamina competitions" or
"Old Stewball was a _____"
and people can guess it pretty easily!

Shea

« Reply #227 on: November 16, 2010, 10:26:59 PM »

I asked Mr. Sirius to translate the WoW part, and I'm really none the wiser.  

I also thought Taboo was the game where you had to give clues to your team about words that the game gives you, without using certain words.  For instance, I once had to give clues to "bagpipes" and couldn't use the words Scotland, kilt, and a couple of other words that were related.  So I started singing one of the bagpipe standards in a very nasal voice.  They got it.  A team-member had to give clues to John Wayne without saying Pilgrim, Marion Michael Morrison, Westerns, and things of that nature.  He gave all his clues in a very bad John Wayne imitation, but we still got it.

Yep, that's exactly it.  However, there are four very easy ways to get around the rules of Taboo, if you have a like-minded person on your team:

1) Foreign languages
2) Inside jokes/stories
3) Complex synonyms
4) Song lyrics

So if you have to do "racehorse" without saying any normal horse or racetrack words, you could do things like
"Un cheval de course" or
"Uncle Milt lost lots of money on one of these named Royal Upchuck once" or
"an equine who participates in distance-based stamina competitions" or
"Old Stewball was a _____"
and people can guess it pretty easily!

Except if you and one other person speak a foreign language but no one else does, and so you simply switch to that language to play the game, the other people will get annoyed and tell you to cut out the French or risk having heavy objects thrown at your head. Been there. ;D

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
« Reply #228 on: November 16, 2010, 11:16:35 PM »

Why do I get the feeling we need to organise an international Ehell convention where we're allowed play all these games to our hearts content?

And why do I also get the feeling that 3am would find a marathon joint game of Taboo-Pictionary-Trivial Pursuit-Monopoly, with a drinking game on the side?

The mind boggles.

Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Bellantara

• Normal is a setting on the washing machine.
« Reply #229 on: November 16, 2010, 11:21:07 PM »

Why do I get the feeling we need to organise an international Ehell convention where we're allowed play all these games to our hearts content?

And why do I also get the feeling that 3am would find a marathon joint game of Taboo-Pictionary-Trivial Pursuit-Monopoly, with a drinking game on the side?

The mind boggles.

Name the time and place. I will be there.  ;D ;D

Daffydilly

• Live;) Laugh;( Pretend you're sane :-}
« Reply #230 on: November 16, 2010, 11:53:36 PM »

The mind boggles.

Evil Sefaeria: Don't forget the Ultimate Scrabble Competition! With mandatory 7 letter words for all plays!
>shoved back into the wardrobe<

Lynnv

« Reply #231 on: November 17, 2010, 12:41:15 AM »

The mind boggles.

Evil Sefaeria: Don't forget the Ultimate Scrabble Competition! With mandatory 7 letter words for all plays!

And since someone has to be the token beer geek and bring along libations to go with all the games, I will volunteer my services.  If you want wine or scotch, you need another nerd.  But I can find some wonderful and obscure brews to tempt the palate of those inclined to indulge.  :>
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

Samantha

• Super Hero!
  • Blah Blah Blah. Insert witty comment here!
« Reply #232 on: November 17, 2010, 12:59:10 AM »
I'm working on making an Access database as part of a group project for class. In order to test the database, we have to have 10 customer accounts created.

I have named the customers: Sarah Jane Smith, Mickey Smith, Wilfred Mott, Amy Pond, Rose Tyler, Martha Jones, Jackson Lake, Jack Harkness, Rory Williams, and Donna Noble.

(C) Get Fuzzy 5.13.07

deadbody

« Reply #233 on: November 17, 2010, 08:29:47 AM »

The mind boggles.

And since someone has to be the token beer geek and bring along libations to go with all the games, I will volunteer my services.  If you want wine or scotch, you need another nerd.  But I can find some wonderful and obscure brews to tempt the palate of those inclined to indulge.  :>

I'm in.  You had me at Beer :)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #234 on: November 17, 2010, 09:06:04 AM »
I'm working on making an Access database as part of a group project for class. In order to test the database, we have to have 10 customer accounts created.

I have named the customers: Sarah Jane Smith, Mickey Smith, Wilfred Mott, Amy Pond, Rose Tyler, Martha Jones, Jackson Lake, Jack Harkness, Rory Williams, and Donna Noble.

Love it!
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Shea

« Reply #235 on: November 17, 2010, 11:34:23 AM »

But...no John Smith? ;)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #236 on: November 17, 2010, 12:17:38 PM »

Love it!

My least favorite confession: "I don't get it." (Are these real names of actors?)
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

Shea

« Reply #237 on: November 17, 2010, 12:23:14 PM »

Love it!

My least favorite confession: "I don't get it." (Are these real names of actors?)

They're all characters from Doctor Who.

edited to fix quote tree.

Poirot

• Needler of threads, not threader of needles
« Reply #238 on: November 17, 2010, 12:35:56 PM »

The mind boggles.

I'm definitely in for the Scrabble - I'll bring the vodka!
A spoon! A spoon! My kingdom for a case of #%^***** spoons!

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #239 on: November 17, 2010, 12:38:04 PM »

Scotch nerd, reporting for duty. We'll separate the single-malts from the blends, and the Islays from...  oh, never mind.  ;)

Sounds like a job for a slightly tipsy Border collie.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.