Author Topic: You know you've achieved nerdhood when...  (Read 101072 times)

deety

• woodland pixie
  • chunga!
Re: You know you've achieved nerdhood when...
« Reply #675 on: November 28, 2011, 10:25:34 PM »
Gwywnnydd said:

For number 42, does it count when my 5YO held aloft my SCA belt knife and declared "Tundah! Tundah! Tundah Caa, ho!"?

Yes, yes it does.   ;D

Our 2 year old DS will steal his sister's and Daddy's She-Ra swords from their action figures and will try to say "for the honor of Greyskull!" but what comes out is "Hon-Grey-Kull!"  He has his own Sword of Omens, but we turned it off, and it's not so much fun running around saying "Ho!" without the swishy sword sounds. 

But I'm not biased or anything. 

(42, 75, and 76.  23, if toy Sonic Screwdrivers count--DH got the Eleven Doctors mini-figure set.  )

faithlessone

« Reply #676 on: November 29, 2011, 04:27:04 AM »
Okay, I've done 17, 23 (cos toy-versions totally count), 35 (even though I got laughed at), and 73.

Also - kinda 6, but only if you count either hugging James Marsters or randomly snogging a guy cosplaying as King Leonidas from 300.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #677 on: November 29, 2011, 06:06:19 AM »
DH has brown hair and a pretty full beard.  When it's trimmed he looks a lot like Ewan McGregor from the Star Wars reboot.  Which is why I bought this Pez dispenser and why Babybartfast is convinced that it's a "daddy toy."

(She also thinks his picture is on the penny - I haven't yet figured out how to explain the concept of dead presidents to her.)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #678 on: November 29, 2011, 10:31:24 AM »
I have three items on the http://veryaware.com/2011/08/the-geek-bucket-list-100-geektastic-things-to-do-before-you-kick/ accomplished: 19,75,76.

You've done 19????

Before we met, DH bought the limited edition Indiana Jones hat from Stetson. He also has the brown leather bomber jacket to go with it. And the revolver, but it stays at home.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #679 on: December 05, 2011, 08:27:18 PM »
For a geek list, they sure wasted the number 42.

StressedGroom

• Mr. Goblue2539
« Reply #680 on: December 05, 2011, 10:55:01 PM »
For a geek list, they sure wasted the number 42.

Well, there is geek, and then there is GEEK.

vorbau

• walking around naked doesn't make you an emperor
« Reply #681 on: December 08, 2011, 05:21:11 PM »
Hmmm...

Does 14 count if it's a laser printer you reprogrammed to "stun?"
19, because I was wearing it before the first Indiana Jones movie came out (yes, I am that old)
23 (replica from catalog, just because it drives (whoops, no pun intended) DH crazy
40 (might as well have been; it was the squad I accused of doing a "drive-by crime scene investigation")
41, but unfortunately Vizzini couldn't make it
49, and oh yes it was fun
56, frequently
69 (it's a stuffed replica from a catalog, but the arms and legs can be pulled off)
75 (YUCK!)
99 (unfortunately not the real Patrick Stewart, but a guy on my deployment team named Stewart who looks kinda like him and shaves his head to make the resemblance even closer)
Let's roll. (And you can't scare me; I've had teenagers.)

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #682 on: December 08, 2011, 05:25:14 PM »

I was just thinking about this the other day when i realized how hopelessly geeky Gish and i apparently are :) One of the dogs is named from Star Wars, the other after a video game character, and my 3d ferret's name is Ender. Even the hand me down fish is named Smaug, so i guess it runs in the family since my brother gave him to me.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Maxiestar

« Reply #683 on: December 08, 2011, 08:42:49 PM »
Yeah, I'm not one to name my pets after sci-fi/fantasy characters either. But, I named one of the cats that I've been feeding outside, Gandalf the Grey! Or GreyGrey for short! He's a long haired grey cat. I couldn't resist!

kelly_jeanie

« Reply #684 on: December 08, 2011, 09:49:52 PM »
I have three items on the http://veryaware.com/2011/08/the-geek-bucket-list-100-geektastic-things-to-do-before-you-kick/ accomplished: 19,75,76.

How did Lady Gaga make the list at #16?  ???
I haven't done 35 but have had Romulan Ale
33 and 38, yes, absolutely but unfortunately nobody is listening to me
42 is done around here almost daily by anything vaguely sword-shaped, though not necessarily by me (and yeah, number totally wasted)
I am going to start using 54 on my kids
73 I have, but it wasn't pretty
93 - where do I sign up!!

magicdomino

« Reply #685 on: December 19, 2011, 04:53:07 PM »
I finally put up a Christmas tree Saturday night, the first one that I have done in several years.   It is decorated with Star Wars figures.  There is also a Romulan Bird of Prey, but nobody has noticed that yet.  (Which of these decorations does not belong?   :)  )

snowfire

« Reply #686 on: December 19, 2011, 06:10:20 PM »
Snicker!  I have Star Trek ornaments on both my trees.  A friend gives DH one each year for his birthday.  (I'd need to get another tree, or a bigger secondary one if I wanted to put up the Star Wars ornaments too!)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #687 on: December 19, 2011, 07:54:31 PM »
Old friend of ours from the USAF days grew a beard after he retired - and turned out to be a dead ringer for William Riker/Jonathan Frakes (with a beard - not so much a dead ringer when they both were clean shaven). 

He also made a pretty good Major Nelson to his fiancee's Jeannie (I Dream of Jeannie reference for those too young to remember even the reruns during the day) back when we were all active duty - I helped her make the costume (and it showed her belly button - unlike the TV version).
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #688 on: December 25, 2011, 05:13:33 PM »
We are visiting my parents over the holidays.

In the wake of a recent snowfall, and wanting to do something fun, we went out side to build snow sculptures.
We quickly broke into teams and started piling up the snow.
Grandma even found a bit of spray paint to (sparingly) embellish the creations.

When we all stepped back, the results were:

Oldest DD and Grandma - a very lifelike dolphin

Younger DD and I - a yeti - but people kept thinking it was a sphinx, or a cat, or a bear. So we put rotten apples in as eyes and dd stuck a stick in the leg. I spray painted a red blob on the chest and stuck in a gardening knife. It had morphed into "A Yeti that took an arrow to the knee and then was taken out by flying dagger."

DH (a solo act) - a volcano, complete with a little crowd of snow people and a screaming snowman "sacrifice" on the rim of the crater. (Complete with lava, of course!)

DS and Grandpa - Minas Tirith (or as much as they could get done before we got too cold.)

Us? Nerds? Why no, why do you ask?

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #689 on: December 25, 2011, 06:17:51 PM »
Oh WhiteDragon PLEASE tell me you took photos and are uploading them to the photos thread this VERY SECOND! That sounds AWESOME!

I think our nerdhood was achieved yesterday when Ace got a t-shirt with "I > U" on the front of it, and virtually every gift from my parents to me was somehow Harry Potter related. I'm 25.
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,