Author Topic: You know you've achieved nerdhood when...  (Read 93003 times)

snowfire

Re: You know you've achieved nerdhood when...
« Reply #795 on: June 18, 2012, 09:21:18 PM »

Noooooooo the "cut" drawer should be labeled "Ctrl + X" for cut!  Ctrl + C should contain carbon-copy paper!

Sigh...even if no one knows what it is any more.  I was chatting with a girl today and she had just submitted some school work electronically while she was in the waiting room at the physical therapists.  I mentioned that I had done all my schoolwork on an IBM Selectric typewriter and had hated having to make carbon copies of all papers for insurance in case of loss.  She looked at me kind of cross eyed and asked "What's a carbon???"

I guess I'm a dinosaur.  I graduated from college in '81.

greencat

« Reply #796 on: June 18, 2012, 09:25:22 PM »

Noooooooo the "cut" drawer should be labeled "Ctrl + X" for cut!  Ctrl + C should contain carbon-copy paper!

Sigh...even if no one knows what it is any more.  I was chatting with a girl today and she had just submitted some school work electronically while she was in the waiting room at the physical therapists.  I mentioned that I had done all my schoolwork on an IBM Selectric typewriter and had hated having to make carbon copies of all papers for insurance in case of loss.  She looked at me kind of cross eyed and asked "What's a carbon???"

I was born after you graduated from college, so at least some of us spring chickens are familiar with the stuff :)  I've also actually used a mimeograph machine.

kitty-cat

« Reply #797 on: June 20, 2012, 08:55:40 AM »

I was born after you graduated from college, so at least some of us spring chickens are familiar with the stuff :)  I've also actually used a mimeograph machine.

The baby of the board chiming in. We use typewriters at work daily. It's really fun to try and read the carbons when the fix error key has been used....

NE Florida

Reader

« Reply #798 on: June 20, 2012, 12:14:17 PM »
When after hearing Ridley Scott may have put the Alien movies, Blade Runner, and Prometheus in the same universe but all set at different times and you message your friend asking him to geek out with you to do a marathon of all the movies once Prometheus is out on DVD, so we can track the parallels and time frames.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #799 on: June 21, 2012, 03:47:31 PM »
One of my dear friends is turning 50 next month. His wife is planning a surprise party and I offered to make his cake.

A Star Trek red shirt cake. Vanilla cake with maple filling, which is his favorite.

wendelenn

« Reply #800 on: June 21, 2012, 04:44:30 PM »
One of my dear friends is turning 50 next month. His wife is planning a surprise party and I offered to make his cake.

A Star Trek red shirt cake. Vanilla cake with maple filling, which is his favorite.

A cellular peptide cake!  (With mint frosting!)
"I don't mean to be rude", he began, in a tone that threatened rudeness in every syllable.

"--yet sadly, accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often," Dumbledore finished the sentence gravely.  "Best to say nothing at all."

snowfire

« Reply #801 on: June 22, 2012, 12:30:32 AM »
When after hearing Ridley Scott may have put the Alien movies, Blade Runner, and Prometheus in the same universe but all set at different times and you message your friend asking him to geek out with you to do a marathon of all the movies once Prometheus is out on DVD, so we can track the parallels and time frames.

DH and I went to see Prometheus last Sunday.  We were going to do Alien tonight but I fell asleep. Sigh, my physical therapy wipes me out.  I guess it will be this weekend before we get back to Alien.

Shea

« Reply #802 on: June 29, 2012, 09:41:24 AM »
BF and I were walking down the street last night when a big crowd of rather rowdy young guys goes past us.

BF: Wow, big group.
Me: They're having bro time.
BF: Pssh ::eyeroll::
Me: What? You and your friends have bro time.
BF: ::proudly:: Yes, but MY bro time involves 20-sided dice!

Yep, I'm dating a nerd ;D.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
  • Paws for a smile
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #803 on: June 29, 2012, 10:44:14 AM »
Yep, I'm dating a nerd ;D.

Congratulations - they are the best. :D

greencat

« Reply #804 on: June 29, 2012, 11:52:20 PM »
I turn down a lot of Friday night dates because I'm playing D&D...

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #805 on: July 01, 2012, 05:56:12 PM »
When you dream you're solving physics problems and relate your dream to your engineer spouse like this:

You: "So in my dream, there was a rotating disk with an inner circumference and the outer edge. I had to find the difference in force and speed between the two points."

Engineer: "You mean the torque?"

You: "Yes, but I had to try to do the math in my head, since I was dreaming and there was no calculator I could use. So I'm trying to do 'pi r squared' in my head for this disk. Then I had to figure out the accelaration on the outer edge. I didn't know how to do that part."

Engineer "Torque = Force x Distance."

You: "Well, I didn't know that part. All I could remember was that Force = Mass x Acceleration."

Engineer: "Yeah. Torque = MAD."

Then he looks at you, his Arts major spouse and says "You've been married to an Engineer too long if you're starting to dream physics!" :P

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
  • Paws for a smile
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #806 on: July 01, 2012, 06:05:03 PM »
When you dream you're solving physics problems and relate your dream to your engineer spouse like this:

You: "So in my dream, there was a rotating disk with an inner circumference and the outer edge. I had to find the difference in force and speed between the two points."

Engineer: "You mean the torque?"

You: "Yes, but I had to try to do the math in my head, since I was dreaming and there was no calculator I could use. So I'm trying to do 'pi r squared' in my head for this disk. Then I had to figure out the accelaration on the outer edge. I didn't know how to do that part."

Engineer "Torque = Force x Distance."

You: "Well, I didn't know that part. All I could remember was that Force = Mass x Acceleration."

Engineer: "Yeah. Torque = MAD."

Then he looks at you, his Arts major spouse and says "You've been married to an Engineer too long if you're starting to dream physics!" :P

Benedick, my lawyer SO, sometimes asks me the strangest things out of the blue: "What was the fundamental trigonometric limit again?" "How do I prove that one infinite series is larger than another?

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #807 on: July 02, 2012, 02:43:54 PM »

I sent a sarcastic text to Gish the other day along the lines of:
Captain's Log: Stardate - .3508728503. Cigarettes running low. Crew hungry and shedding. Away party not responding. Situation looking grim.
... and i looked up the stardate to make sure it was right. The ol' lug didn't even notice
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #808 on: July 12, 2012, 04:31:11 PM »
Woot, just found out I'm on Wired!    (Okay, so I'm a "backup monkey" in the first embedded video in the article, but still!)  I'm pretty sure it's nerdy of me to be this excited about it  :P

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #809 on: July 18, 2012, 07:58:00 PM »
When you learn that HMV just started carrying Big Bang Theory bobbleheads and you buy the whole set... ::)