Author Topic: You know you've achieved nerdhood when...  (Read 97840 times)

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
You know you've achieved nerdhood when...
« on: September 21, 2010, 03:29:24 PM »
Your coworker sees something on their email and says "What does that mean*?"...

...and you correctly identify as Latin, translate it and offer two possible pronounciations.

Yeah. Nerd. Me.

*the phrase was "bene vale". Nerd points for those that know what it means.

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
Re: You know you've achieved nerdhood when...
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 03:47:07 PM »
You impress your coworkers or relatives with your in-depth knowledge of some little-known topic (e.g. what suburbs of Cardiff are called) and they think you're so well-read and knowledgeable...

... but you're just a geek who learned it from your favourite show, which they've never even heard of!

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

Daffydilly

• Live;) Laugh;( Pretend you're sane :-}
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 04:06:06 PM »
When you get the nesting instinct at six months pregnancy, and want to make those cute little painted onesies you read about on ehell. But as you sit at the table with paint, brushes and onesies all over, realize that the normal flowers and little girl designs are really boring. So you pull out several old books for ideas, abstract artists of the early twentieth century, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and a book on playing with your color palettes.
I now have a variety of onesies with abstract designs, played with color themes and a design of a book that says in Large, gold letters, "Don't Panic".

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 04:26:12 PM »
you have several Facebook conversation on the go in hex, binary AND octal encoded ascii.

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 04:32:29 PM »
When you get the nesting instinct at six months pregnancy, and want to make those cute little painted onesies you read about on ehell. But as you sit at the table with paint, brushes and onesies all over, realize that the normal flowers and little girl designs are really boring. So you pull out several old books for ideas, abstract artists of the early twentieth century, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and a book on playing with your color palettes.
I now have a variety of onesies with abstract designs, played with color themes and a design of a book that says in Large, gold letters, "Don't Panic".

That is an awesome idea!

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 04:39:00 PM »
You correct the professor's pronunciation of Egyptian god's in class.  That resulted in me being given the passage to read.  It was a teaching reading class.

When you realize all the books you've selected to read for you child's home schooling for the year are sci fi.

Lynnv

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 05:16:58 PM »

...and you correctly identify as Latin, translate it and offer two possible pronounciations.

Yeah. Nerd. Me.

Something along the lines of "good regards".  Often used as a letter closing.  I will admit, I would have to dig out my old Latin texts to get any closer than that.  And my accent always stunk in any foreign language, so I would not have offered any pronunciations.  :>

But, to up my nerd credentials, I do have a copy of a Latin translation of Winnie the Pooh.  Which is amazingly cool.  We got it when a relative of DH's who taught Latin for about a gazillion years passed away.

Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

Ms_Shell

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 05:21:29 PM »
When you read all the PP's and think, "Wow, what an interesting topic!  I've gotta Google (insert PP topic here)".  ;D
"I've never been a millionaire, but I just know I'd be darling at it." - Dorothy Parker

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 05:41:44 PM »

Yeah. Nerd. Me.

Goodbye
All's well
be well/be very well

I think :)
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 06:28:26 PM »
You mention Ras al Ghul and your father stares at you and says 'well... i guess this means I raised you okay"

Nanny Ogg

• The Shrinking Lady!
    • For Your Paws
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 06:52:13 PM »
You impress your coworkers or relatives with your in-depth knowledge of some little-known topic (e.g. what suburbs of Cardiff are called) and they think you're so well-read and knowledgeable...

... but you're just a geek who learned it from your favourite show, which they've never even heard of!

Judging from your sig pic, I think the quote is "Splott?" "I think estate agents call it Sploe" ??

Did you also know that the writer of that episode lives in Splott? :) Helen something or other... (LEVEL UP on the geekiness, innit?)

Ferrets

• "Rugby referees are like bees. They communicate through interpretative dance movements."
  • Dych chi'n moyn dishgled?
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 07:31:28 PM »
You play The Game.

No, not that Game (incidentally, you just lost).

The Game. 8)

Let's call it the Game. The point is to pretend that Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson were real, that Watson wrote the stories reporting actual events, and that Conan Doyle was merely Watson's literary agent. Essentially, one applies Holmes's own methods to analyzing the stories, trying to explain the inconsistencies, fill the gaps, and identify the other characters and events.
 - The Straight Dope

Oxymoroness

• I have a PhD in Crazy Math
    • Wrightbrain Design
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 08:44:38 PM »
When you make what you think is a fairly easy to get history-related joke and have to explain it 4 times before someone other than you laughs ... sort of.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 09:19:20 PM »
When you have family discussions defining nerd vs. geek, and decide that at least two members of said family are both. 

Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

Rohanna

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 09:21:19 PM »
Your family names it's children after sci-fi and fantasy characters :)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 12:13:44 AM by Rohanna »
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.