Author Topic: You know you've achieved nerdhood when...  (Read 99475 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: You know you've achieved nerdhood when...
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2010, 12:04:47 PM »

The older members of the family have banned you from playing Trivial Pursuit, while the younger members offer bribes for answers they don't know.

Oh, yeah.  My brother refuses to play TP with me unless he gets to play with the original cards and I play with an newer genus version.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Reika

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2010, 12:09:18 PM »
When you're in the computer with your hapless mother who tagged along out of boredom and you have fellow customers asking you for advice when they realize you know more than the saleguy after hearing you explain what you're looking at to said non-geeky parental unit.

As for trivial pursuit, people stopped letting me play that a long time ago.

There was this board game called Taboo, where someone would have a word or phrase and 5 common words/phrases that couldn't be used as a clue. A friend of mine and I used to drive friends nuts by using Mercedes Lackey books as our clues.

Then we just switched to Anne McCaffery when that got banned. Can't remember who it was after that. I think we switched to movies when they said no more book series.

pinkunicorn

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2010, 12:32:48 PM »
When you're at a Harley meeting and feel the need to edit the "Group Riding" pamphlet right then and there, because all of the gramatical and punctuation errors are driving you insane.

Never try to fit in when you are meant to stand out!

Lynnv

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2010, 12:50:13 PM »
When you're at a Harley meeting and feel the need to edit the "Group Riding" pamphlet right then and there, because all of the gramatical and punctuation errors are driving you insane.

How about when you not only want to edit the pamphlet for grammar and punctuation errors, but also for basic errors in proper group riding procedures?  Plus a completely incorrect (and impossible under the laws of physics as we know them) explanation of counter-steering.  Just for the record, the laws of physic DO still apply to motorcycles, even if grammar and spelling laws didn't seem to apply to this group.  :>

It was not  Harley group (neither DH nor I have Harleys)-it was a mixed bike club.  It was a club we didn't join.  We went to the meeting, and their group riding procedures were so bad as to be scary....at least what we could pick out from the mess of a group riding pamphlet they handed out (it was one they made up themselves, not the one from the MSF).

Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

kitty-cat

« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2010, 01:10:03 PM »

The older members of the family have banned you from playing Trivial Pursuit, while the younger members offer bribes for answers they don't know.

Oh, yeah.  My brother refuses to play TP with me unless he gets to play with the original cards and I play with an newer genus version.

I've one better- senior year of HS, my public speaking teacher would have us play TP when we had free time inbetween speeches. My team always loved me because we always won-even when I answered all the questions alone.

And then one day my teacher brought in the genus version... I didn't do half bad, but we did loose that day.

NE Florida

PurpleFrog

« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2010, 01:16:19 PM »
When your phrase of choice when your BF isn't listening is '...then the Borg came and we were all assimilated'

When your child says Mario before Mummy.

When you buy your son a cuddley Darth Vader for his 1st Christmas.

When no one will play any trivia game with you any more.

When some one reads you a line from LOTR you can recite the rest of the page from memory......after 1/2 a bottle of tequila.
[img width=400 height=88]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10773;484/st/20120825/e/Our+Wedding/dt/-1/k/450f/eve

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2010, 02:22:53 PM »
When your phrase of choice when your BF isn't listening is '...then the Borg came and we were all assimilated'

When you tell non-Star Trek fans jokes like:

Why did the Borg cross the road?
It had assimilated the chicken!

And laugh uproariously... and when no one gets it, you explain in great detail. And the next time you tell a Star Trek joke they laugh just to stop you launching into a half hour explanation of why it's funny!

Quote from: Lulupop
...you understand most of the science jokes on The Big Bang Theory and totally understand Sheldon's reaction to Penny's Christmas napkin.

I LOVE that! One of the best episodes! "I have the DNA of Leonard Nimoy?!! I could grow my own Leonard Nimoy?!!"

... and that's another one: when someone mentions a geeky show you love, and you can trot out lines from it without thinking twice.

... when you can tell the Star Trek/Stargate/insert-sci-fi-show-here episode from the first 15 seconds.

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

PurpleFrog

« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2010, 03:01:11 PM »
Hit post before I remembered to tell T'Mar I have bumped into John Barrowman quit a few times when out. The joys of living in Cardiff.

There's also a roving blue box that they park in strange places. Not for the show just for fun.
[img width=400 height=88]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10773;484/st/20120825/e/Our+Wedding/dt/-1/k/450f/eve

kitty-cat

« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2010, 03:12:55 PM »
Hit post before I remembered to tell T'Mar I have bumped into John Barrowman quit a few times when out. The joys of living in Cardiff.

There's also a roving blue box that they park in strange places. Not for the show just for fun.

Or perhaps the Tardis just needs refueling. Has anything weird been going on?

And don't go to London for Christmas, according to the show, this is the year everything changes.

NE Florida

deadbody

« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2010, 03:54:57 PM »
I got Star Wars TP for christmas one year, after drinking heavily the teams were split into me vs. a good friend who is also a Star Wars nerd vs. Everyone else. 

The game ended on my second turn.

The last time I played trivial pursuit I took my 3 year old as my teammate so she could roll the dice, I still won and it wasn't close.

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2010, 04:05:08 PM »

Awesome!

Is he as devastating in person? Did you see his other half (who is also gorgeous)? Squee!!  ;D

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2010, 04:06:34 PM »
When you spend way too long trying to figure out what MariaE's maiden name is.  ;D

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA!!!! Very, very Danish name, so I'd be extremely impressed if you managed to figure it out. Send me a PM if you really want to know ;)

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

vorbau

• walking around naked doesn't make you an emperor
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2010, 05:51:18 PM »
-When your son is named for a scifi/fantasy character, your DXH regularly attends cons for the author, and DS has actually the met the author who created the character for whom he is named
- your pets all have scientific names (yes, Shroedinger, Einstein, Brunel, and Hawk(ing))
- your score higher than your DH (double MS in engineering) on geek and nerd tests
- the Magic 8 Ball on your desk at work is labeled "Bayesian Estimator" and you have to explain at least once a week what it means
- you save old copies of "Extreme Geek" and "Think Geek" catalogs
- you have a variety of flash drives in different styles to suit various occasions
Let's roll. (And you can't scare me; I've had teenagers.)

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2010, 07:00:17 PM »
Heh. I got one, not me but a friend:
All your children are named after DC comic minor characters.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2010, 08:56:56 PM »
I got Star Wars TP for christmas one year

I read this as "I got Star Wars TP" as in, toilet paper, and I thought "Cool!" and "But it would be such a waste to actually use it...!"

Then I read the rest of the post. Which was pretty cool too.  :D