Author Topic: You know you've achieved nerdhood when...  (Read 102653 times)

Fluffy Cat

• Formerly MoretaTorene
Re: You know you've achieved nerdhood when...
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2010, 09:17:13 PM »
...When you photoshop your face onto a formerly popular tv geek/nerd character after having dressed up as them for halloween, post it on facebook for laughs and then get into a legalese-type argument with your equally geek/nerd older brother about the relative geek/nerd quotient of committing such an act and whether it violates the George Lucas/Gene Roddenberry Accord of 1988 or whether the Carter/JMS/Wright Decision of 2001 is applicable*. 

Bonus points if it then deteriorates into a debate over the literal, popular, or just plain fanciful definition of whether one is a "geek" or a "nerd" and just how much high school angst one must have been subject to in order to qualify for either label.

Honorary Mention for the utter dismissal of SG-1** for the inclusion of Ricky D and culminating in all of one's respective friends responding to said discussion with the arbitrary and completely frelled-up label "losers with nothing better to do" in regards to both parties.

*I won.  :P
**Not me!
"Its so fluffy I could DIE"

scarletribbons

« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2010, 09:26:59 PM »
..... when you name the tables at your wedding after various bacteria and viruses because both you and your fiance are Scientists...

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2010, 12:50:24 AM »
... completely frelled-up label ...

When you understand what "frelled-up" means, and that it was being used before everybody jumped on the bandwagon with "frak".  ;)

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

Lynnv

« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2010, 01:34:34 AM »

When you understand what "frelled-up" means, and that it was being used before everybody jumped on the bandwagon with "frak".  ;)

When you understand what "frelled-up" means and know where it came from despite having not watched the show. 

When you know that frak (originally frack) came from the original series and not the new one, and knew what it meant even if you could never get into the remake.
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

CherryRipe

« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2010, 02:11:03 AM »
..... when you name the tables at your wedding after various bacteria and viruses because both you and your fiance are Scientists...

Is this for real?  And, if so.....did anyone actually EAT anything at that wedding?

Fluffy Cat

• Formerly MoretaTorene
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2010, 02:14:08 AM »

When you understand what "frelled-up" means and know where it came from despite having not watched the show. 

When you know that frak (originally frack) came from the original series and not the new one, and knew what it meant even if you could never get into the remake.

[nerd] watch farscape! [/nerd]
"Its so fluffy I could DIE"

Information_queen

• Meaghan, her family's personal librarian
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2010, 03:25:05 AM »
When you make what you think is a fairly easy to get history-related joke and have to explain it 4 times before someone other than you laughs ... sort of.

Or state that you though something was common knowledge only to have someone look at you and say "Well I don't know it."

I swear I really did think it was common knowledge.

Information_queen

« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2010, 03:36:29 AM »
you have several Facebook conversation on the go in hex, binary AND octal encoded ascii.

\/\/3 |>|^3|=3|^ |_337 5|>34|{. \/\/0|_||_|) `/0|_| |_1|{3 |\/|3 70 7|^4|\|5|_73?

Translate that ;)

Also...

...when you name your first dog Mudkips and decide you want two more dogs named Pikachu and Raichu, and a Saint Bernard named Snorlax...

...when you have decided that your child's first Halloween costume will be Cthuhlu three years before you plan to have said child...

PurpleFrog

« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2010, 04:02:38 AM »

[/quote]

Awesome!

Is he as devastating in person? Did you see his other half (who is also gorgeous)? Squee!!  ;D
[/quote]

Yes and yes curse my femininity.

When you seriously considered naming your child Mordrid (SO not me)
[img width=400 height=88]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10773;484/st/20120825/e/Our+Wedding/dt/-1/k/450f/eve

scarletribbons

« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2010, 05:40:31 AM »

Is this for real?  And, if so.....did anyone actually EAT anything at that wedding?

Yep, sure is! Our guests thought it was quite amusing, we had 2 tables of scientists there too who found it particulary nerdy. As far as I know, all the food was gobbled up. If I could ever figure out how to post a picture, I would show you how it was presented! The bridal table was Epstein-Barr Virus, cos it's the kissing disease :)
We also had Sacromyces cerevisiae which is the yeast used to make Rum and Beer, we put all the drinkers on that table ;)

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2010, 11:12:21 AM »

When you don't really drink alcohol very much but you still want to do the original BSG series drinking game because it's supposedly so deadly you're sloshed before half the show is over!

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

Lynnv

« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2010, 11:26:13 AM »

When you don't really drink alcohol very much but you still want to do the original BSG series drinking game because it's supposedly so deadly you're sloshed before half the show is over!

I never, ever made it even halfway...and we were usually just drinking beer.  It gets way out of hand with anything harder. 
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2010, 12:32:50 PM »

Awesome!

Is he as devastating in person? Did you see his other half (who is also gorgeous)? Squee!!  ;D
[/quote]

Yes and yes curse my femininity.

When you seriously considered naming your child Mordrid (SO not me)
[/quote]

Alternatly, you name your chold something nice and normal (Karl) but you work at a ren faire and so your baby grows thinking his name IS Mordrid because it fits into your character. (Not me!)
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

Information_queen

« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2010, 02:15:06 PM »
....when your dog has an SCA name and more garb than you do.

(Not me, but working on it :P)

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2010, 02:32:50 PM »
...when the first insult that enters your head is Klingon (p'tak if anyone's interested - it's my insult of the month)
...you understand most of the science jokes on The Big Bang Theory and totally understand Sheldon's reaction to Penny's Christmas napkin.  ;)

I swear I live with Sheldon