Author Topic: You know you've achieved nerdhood when...  (Read 114414 times)

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
Re: You know you've achieved nerdhood when...
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2010, 02:33:25 PM »
Your family Christmas tradition growing up? Watching Star Wars on Christmas Eve

We do the extended version of the Lord of the Rings every New Year.

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2010, 02:38:25 PM »

There was this board game called Taboo, where someone would have a word or phrase and 5 common words/phrases that couldn't be used as a clue. A friend of mine and I used to drive friends nuts by using Mercedes Lackey books as our clues.

My sisters and I, each out own special kind of nerd, have been permanently banned from playing Taboo.  I love that game.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2010, 05:56:17 PM »
...when the Psych professor asks you not to do the extra credit assignments any more, because you've already blown his curve so badly that your grade is at 145%...

I used to have a teacher that asked an extremely obscure trivia question every Friday.  The first person to answer it correctly received a whole point added to their final grade anyone after the first would receive a quarter point. There was no limit on how many people got it correct, only that you could not share your answer and you had to cite how you found the answer.  After the 12th week in a row of me answering correctly and never having left the class to look it up, I was encouraged not to participate/let others have a chance of getting the whole point.  ::)
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2010, 06:07:14 PM »
...when the Psych professor asks you not to do the extra credit assignments any more, because you've already blown his curve so badly that your grade is at 145%...

I used to have a teacher that asked an extremely obscure trivia question every Friday.  The first person to answer it correctly received a whole point added to their final grade anyone after the first would receive a quarter point. There was no limit on how many people got it correct, only that you could not share your answer and you had to cite how you found the answer.  After the 12th week in a row of me answering correctly and never having left the class to look it up, I was encouraged not to participate/let others have a chance of getting the whole point.  ::)

If you don't mind, what was your end grade in the class?

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2010, 06:07:45 PM »

I used to have a teacher that asked an extremely obscure trivia question every Friday.  The first person to answer it correctly received a whole point added to their final grade anyone after the first would receive a quarter point. There was no limit on how many people got it correct, only that you could not share your answer and you had to cite how you found the answer.  After the 12th week in a row of me answering correctly and never having left the class to look it up, I was encouraged not to participate/let others have a chance of getting the whole point.  ::)

ummm - how do you cite your answer if it is something you just "remember from somewhere"?

not trying to be snarky - just curious (cause I know lots of stuff and really can't remember which book/tv show/other obscure reference I read or saw it in)
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2010, 06:26:44 PM »

I used to have a teacher that asked an extremely obscure trivia question every Friday.  The first person to answer it correctly received a whole point added to their final grade anyone after the first would receive a quarter point. There was no limit on how many people got it correct, only that you could not share your answer and you had to cite how you found the answer.  After the 12th week in a row of me answering correctly and never having left the class to look it up, I was encouraged not to participate/let others have a chance of getting the whole point.  ::)

ummm - how do you cite your answer if it is something you just "remember from somewhere"?

not trying to be snarky - just curious (cause I know lots of stuff and really can't remember which book/tv show/other obscure reference I read or saw it in)

Surprisingly I can usually recall a reference, but you didn't have to cite a reference if you didn't have to look it up/leave the room.

If you don't mind, what was your end grade in the class?

118, (fairly certain, it has been a number of years though)
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Nora

« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2010, 05:50:24 AM »
...when the first insult that enters your head is Klingon (p'tak if anyone's interested - it's my insult of the month)
...you understand most of the science jokes on The Big Bang Theory and totally understand Sheldon's reaction to Penny's Christmas napkin.  ;)

I swear I live with Sheldon

My husband lives with psychology Sheldon... :-[;)

I love that show because it uses actual, currently relevant science in their psych-jokes. I do appreciate the other science jokes, but its just so nice to watch a show that does not make a mockery of psychological research by only mangling things done by Freud.

Our dogs name is Ivan Pavlov, because the breed drools quite a bit.  ;)
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

alegria

« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2010, 04:51:42 PM »
...you go to pack for PAX and have over ten nerdy/gamer tshirts to take with you
...you're going to your fifth PAX straight...and your third BYOC...
...you don't wait in line to have your stuff signed because you've already had it signed several years ago
...you purchase and carry around a four foot wooden sword because it's pretty

And of course, you name your three dogs Curzon, Jadzia, and Ezri.   ;D  And when you run pairs competitions with Curzon and Jadzia, you enter the team name as The Dax Symbiosis.  ;D

kitty-cat

« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2010, 12:25:53 AM »
When you watch the new Blackberry commercial with the Moby wingadingdingy book stuff on it, and you know the exact episode that the "Call me Ishmael" cartoon part from is....

NE Florida

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2010, 01:00:35 AM »
And of course, you name your three dogs Curzon, Jadzia, and Ezri.   ;D  And when you run pairs competitions with Curzon and Jadzia, you enter the team name as The Dax Symbiosis.  ;D

I love it!!! <3

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

Nora

« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2010, 07:58:12 AM »

I love it!!! <3

Me too! That's hilarious!
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2010, 08:30:55 AM »
You get all excited when the BBC have a series calle "Uncool Britannia" on Radio 4 (available on the website via Listen Again!)

Yay for Pakamacs, cagouls, anoraks and parkas!
NE England

CG

« Reply #72 on: September 25, 2010, 10:17:12 AM »
...when the fabric in your SCA garb is four or five times as expensive as the fabric in your everyday clothing...

This isn't normal? ???

alkira6

« Reply #73 on: September 25, 2010, 10:37:59 AM »
When you look at your email and realise that you have been sending them in Latin...

When you make a steampunk cake for your anniversary...

When you send out invitations to your house parties from "CorShundra of Borg"...
...your students have become accustomed to being told "resistance is futile.

You know how to wear a hoop skirt and wear a bustle, but have nothing to wear to a nice restaurant...

Your biggest fight to date in your marriage hinged around theoretical physics..

You haven't been allowed to play TP, Taboo, or Scrabble (The board game!) for 16 years...

You swab things for fun...

Your dog has plushies of the rabies and parvo viruses that you made yourself

You consider Torchwood and DW good reasons to revisit Cardiff...
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 05:21:18 PM by alkira6 »

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2010, 03:44:16 PM »
...when the fabric in your SCA garb is four or five times as expensive as the fabric in your everyday clothing...

This isn't normal? ???

I thought so -- T-shirt and jeans for everyday
linen and wool for weekend events...

doesn't everybody?
Reality is for people who lack Imagination