Author Topic: You know you've achieved nerdhood when...  (Read 98594 times)

Hexteacher

• The time has come to grow old disgracefully.
Re: You know you've achieved nerdhood when...
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2010, 05:29:41 PM »
When a contractor comes into the office to sign for an ID badge and his mobile phone goes off, and you can tell him which starship enterprise the sound effect came from (red alert, Enterprise D).

Or the guy you're thinking of buying a bike off has one of the original (classic) Dr Who Cyberman costumes in his hallway and you can say that is a MK2.

Or you can give detailed information about famous scientists, their discoveries and the effects they had on modern life, but are at an absolute loss to try to identify any form of celebrity.
it's ALIVE!! IT'S ALIVE!!!! IT'S.......oh bugger it's coming right for me..." Baron Von Frankenstein.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2010, 05:36:47 PM »
...you and the rest of your immediate family have Jedi-named dogs.

...you name your cat Schroedinger.

...you erupt into a volcano of squee every time ThinkGeek puts out a new catalog.

Actually, I want to name our next cat Pixel.... ;D

I know a real-life scientist who named his Dalmatian Pixel.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2010, 06:58:43 PM »
I WAS going to name the "found a kitty in the parking lot" Pixel

but when I got home from work the next night she was a "Muffin" (Mom named her - I thought if I want to keep a second cat I better go along with it.....)

My other cat is Cyber Dot Com (first pics we saw were online)
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
« Reply #78 on: September 25, 2010, 07:54:37 PM »
...you name your pets after (primarily) real historical figures: (I Am) Spartacus, Titus Pullo, Lucius Vorenus, (Nikola) Tesla and Prometheus (okay, so he's mythical, but still...).

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #79 on: September 25, 2010, 10:25:35 PM »
You have the address for Destiny (Stargate Universe), Atlantis' first planet (Stargate Atlantis) and Earth (point of origin Abydos) tattooed on your arm... and your husband is jealous but can't quite stomach the idea of that much pain for his fandom.
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

Tashigi

« Reply #80 on: September 26, 2010, 01:17:44 AM »
You see a commercial that uses "Pt" for "particulate" and your first thought is, "Wait a second, you want to wash PLATINUM out of your clothes???"

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #81 on: September 26, 2010, 01:50:42 AM »
You have the address for Destiny (Stargate Universe), Atlantis' first planet (Stargate Atlantis) and Earth (point of origin Abydos) tattooed on your arm... and your husband is jealous but can't quite stomach the idea of that much pain for his fandom.

Now THAT'S what I call a serious commitment to Stargate.

My 12 or so work files with pictures of Daniel Jackson on every file divider and cover pale in comparison.  :D

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

Stranger

• diligo ergo sum
« Reply #82 on: September 26, 2010, 03:19:55 AM »
When your 8 year old wants to be a theoretical physicist because he thinks Sheldon is the *coolest*  ;D and you don't have to teach him how to spell it, because he already checked with his friend. Google.

This is me living vicariously through my children  :P

Marga

« Reply #83 on: September 26, 2010, 05:16:08 AM »
When you read this thread and think about half the posts: "What's weird about that?"
When your family use quotes from "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" or Bert and Ernie from Sesame street at the drop of a hat.
When you're a mature woman and play DnD on a regular basis with people young enough to be your kids.
When you make a spreadsheet to convert between numerical systems (hex to decimal, binary to hex, whatever), not because you need it, but just because you want to.

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
« Reply #84 on: September 26, 2010, 09:57:48 AM »
...you anxiously await the day ThinkGeek carries car seats and cribs so you can do all your baby shopping in one place (no, I did not sit down with the ThinkGeek catalog over my breakfast cereal this morning, why do you ask?).

Ferrets

• "Rugby referees are like bees. They communicate through interpretative dance movements."
  • Dych chi'n moyn dishgled?
« Reply #85 on: September 26, 2010, 10:57:44 AM »
You get all excited when the BBC have a series calle "Uncool Britannia" on Radio 4 (available on the website via Listen Again!)

Yay for Pakamacs, cagouls, anoraks and parkas!

I need to thank you for the heads-up - I just listened to Ep.1 of this on iPlayer, and it was very funny indeed!

Gravelly Welsh/Cumbrian beach + pouring rain + little row of glum kids in cagoules = practically all our childhood holiday photos. ;D

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #86 on: September 26, 2010, 03:23:34 PM »
... you're watching the season premiere of Smallville and when they finally show The Suit, your first reaction isn't excitement that Tom Welling is finally going to put it on. No, your first reaction is to say, "Hey! That's the suit from the movie!!"

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #87 on: September 26, 2010, 04:14:29 PM »
You buy a Mass Effect novel* even though you know you could probably write a better one yourself.

*I don't even look at fiction, but my ex waved it in my face, and it was cheap, and I have a long bus trip...

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #88 on: September 27, 2010, 03:52:00 PM »
You mention Ras al Ghul and your father stares at you and says 'well... i guess this means I raised you okay"

If you'd mentioned that to me, I'd think you were giving me the Arabic name of the star Algol, Beta Persei (the second brightest star in the constellation Perseus, and the first discovered eclipsing variable.)  I wouldn't have had a clue that it was Batman's greatest foe since I haven't read Batman comics in eons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algol

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #89 on: September 27, 2010, 04:06:29 PM »
When you're in the computer with your hapless mother who tagged along out of boredom and you have fellow customers asking you for advice when they realize you know more than the saleguy after hearing you explain what you're looking at to said non-geeky parental unit.

As for trivial pursuit, people stopped letting me play that a long time ago.

There was this board game called Taboo, where someone would have a word or phrase and 5 common words/phrases that couldn't be used as a clue. A friend of mine and I used to drive friends nuts by using Mercedes Lackey books as our clues.

Then we just switched to Anne McCaffery when that got banned. Can't remember who it was after that. I think we switched to movies when they said no more book series.

That's my dad.  He was a merciless trivial pursuit player, mainly because he used to read volumes of the encyclopedia, plus every word of the newspaper, etc. 

I've also played Taboo, and that can be a lot of fun if you're playing with reasonably intelligent people.  So can Balderdash, the game where you have to make up word definitions, and if yours sounds the most likely you get points.  I once got a lot of points for defining "cephalomancy" as "the science of determining someone's racial and genetic makeup by measuring the bumps on their head (actually phrenology, but no one else there knew that.)  The definition of "cephalomancy" is "telling the future by boiling the head of a donkey."