Author Topic: You know you've achieved nerdhood when...  (Read 101883 times)

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
Re: You know you've achieved nerdhood when...
« Reply #150 on: October 12, 2010, 02:47:15 PM »
I have to nominate my entire immediate family for the nerd prize:

1 - we have a favourite, fantasy themed boardgame, which we play regularly

2 - all players actively look for loopholes in the rules, with a bloodthirstiness which would shame a class action lawyer.

3 - after 20 years of playing, we have a written set of precedents, to avoid long discussions where events from games played years ago would be brought up as evidence

4 - we have an official trophy for the game: a little troll figurine, carved from stone, with a huuuuge nose

5 - said trophy is nicknamed Francis, after the historical figure with a very large nose.

6 - 20 years later, there is a huge discussion on the historical identity of said Francis (we all remembered the portrait, but no one could pinpoint who the figure was)

7 - the family members conduct a large google search in order to identify who Francis was (have you tried to search for a painting you don't know who painted, where it was painted, who the subject was and only a vague idea of the period?)?

MizB

« Reply #151 on: October 12, 2010, 03:21:44 PM »
You own and play the Titanic board game and make frequent jokes about the one bathroom on said game board.
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’  attributed to Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Enigmatism

« Reply #152 on: October 13, 2010, 06:26:00 PM »
... you can name all the Doctors, in order, and most of their assistants.

;D

wx4caster

• Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
    • wx4caster's Crafty Albums
« Reply #153 on: October 13, 2010, 07:16:03 PM »
... when you knitted your own Doctor Who scarf and now it's older than the current Doctor.  ;D
The days are long but the years are short.

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #154 on: October 14, 2010, 12:56:49 AM »

You mean there are people out there who can't do that?!  ;D

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

Lynnv

« Reply #155 on: October 14, 2010, 01:46:45 AM »

You mean there are people out there who can't do that?!  ;D

Apparently so.  At least that is what I hear.  I am more likely to know people who argue about whether or not K-9 counts as a companion or not. 
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

JadeGirl

« Reply #156 on: October 14, 2010, 03:04:20 AM »

2 - all players actively look for loopholes in the rules, with a bloodthirstiness which would shame a class action lawyer.

3 - after 20 years of playing, we have a written set of precedents, to avoid long discussions where events from games played years ago would be brought up as evidence

4 - we have an official trophy for the game: a little troll figurine, carved from stone, with a huuuuge nose

5 - said trophy is nicknamed Francis, after the historical figure with a very large nose.

6 - 20 years later, there is a huge discussion on the historical identity of said Francis (we all remembered the portrait, but no one could pinpoint who the figure was)

7 - the family members conduct a large google search in order to identify who Francis was (have you tried to search for a painting you don't know who painted, where it was painted, who the subject was and only a vague idea of the period?)?

Le Roi Grande Nez?

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #157 on: October 14, 2010, 08:49:10 AM »

Le Roi Grande Nez?

Francis I of France :D

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #158 on: October 14, 2010, 09:35:14 AM »
I am more likely to know people who argue about whether or not K-9 counts as a companion or not. 

Have you seen the cartoon showing all the Doctor's companions, right from Susan going, "Grandfather!" to Sarah Jane to Tegan to... all going, "Doctor!" And then right at the end it shows Rose going, "I thought I was special!" with K-9 behind her saying, "Negative." Very cute!

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

Ferrets

• "Rugby referees are like bees. They communicate through interpretative dance movements."
  • Dych chi'n moyn dishgled?
« Reply #159 on: October 14, 2010, 10:31:54 AM »
I am more likely to know people who argue about whether or not K-9 counts as a companion or not. 

Have you seen the cartoon showing all the Doctor's companions, right from Susan going, "Grandfather!" to Sarah Jane to Tegan to... all going, "Doctor!" And then right at the end it shows Rose going, "I thought I was special!" with K-9 behind her saying, "Negative." Very cute!

Linking for the benefit of Ehellions who may not have seen these: Doctor's Girls and Doctor's Boys. 8)

Shea

« Reply #160 on: October 14, 2010, 11:19:53 AM »
... when you knitted your own Doctor Who scarf and now it's older than the current Doctor.  ;D

Well, given the current Doctor, that's less difficult than it once was ;).

While I do like Eleven, the Doctor should not be younger than me. Seriously, it's weird.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #161 on: October 14, 2010, 12:07:13 PM »

Linking for the benefit of Ehellions who may not have seen these: Doctor's Girls and Doctor's Boys. 8)

I luuuuurve mimi-na's art. She has some great spins on Disney princess art too, like Disney Sailor Moon, and chibi-fied Cinderella.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
« Reply #162 on: October 14, 2010, 12:18:26 PM »
... someone points you in the direction of James Hance and Wookie the Chew, and your first thought is, "That's it, I know what I'm doing for the baby's room!"  Your second thought is to text your SO and get his/her approval for said scheme, to which SO agrees.

... you have tagged along with your SO to Magic the Gathering tournaments so that in future you will have leverage for convincing SO that s/he owes you a trip to a con.   >:D

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #163 on: October 17, 2010, 09:07:12 PM »
When you are discussing world religions with church friends and you bring up Mr. Spock/half-Vulcan as an example of how a life lived by one interpretation of one religion might be. 
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #164 on: October 18, 2010, 01:01:04 AM »
When you nix the name "Quin" for your soon-to-be-born baby because his/her initials would be "QQ" and you just can't take the idea of encouraging your baby to cry any more than it has to

When you celebrate Exelauno Day, put up posters all over the Classical Studies department, and spend all day surreptitiously watching everyone else in the building to see if they get it (bonus points to anyone here who knows when Exelauno Day is!)

When your toddler has spent more than half her life entered in a nerdy webcomic contest (from "Darths and Droids" as mentioned upthread!) as a "Cheddar Monk" and actually wins a prize!  (She's "Baby Wan Kanobi" on there, if anyone is interested!)

When you're extremely excited about having earned your "As Seen On Dragon*Con TV!" pin this year for writing one skit and appearing in a few more

When you know which week is Shark Week just off the top of your head, even though it's more than four months away

When you buy this clock to take apart for gears, decide the face is too good to waste, and realize your only option is to make a steampunk Flavor Flav costume  8)