Author Topic: You know you've achieved nerdhood when...  (Read 97885 times)

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
Re: You know you've achieved nerdhood when...
« Reply #750 on: April 23, 2012, 01:34:11 PM »
You complain to your SO that the gem "progression" in Diablo III doesn't make any sense at all. They should have followed Baldur's Gate, which has excellent gemological description of the gems you find (the art work is rather pathetic, but the descriptions are great).

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #751 on: May 03, 2012, 03:18:11 AM »
So...it's midnight in the middle of a long week. I've been tired all week and really not motivated to choose a project topic for my Interfacial Phenomena class to add to all of the other stuff I need to get done. I have found a possible topic that might be interesting, but wanted to check my basic understanding of the concept before I committed to analyzing it. This is why I just spent 10-15 minutes in my kitchen happily watching the interaction of olive oil, water, and a surfactant (aka dish soap) in a container with a hydrophobic surface (aka non-stick cooking pot) and a container with a hydrophilic surface (aka a water glass) and being absurdly satisfied that it was behaving as I had predicted it would.* Yay kitchen science experiments!

Hi, my name is Onyx, and I am a geek.

*In case any of my fellow geeks want in on the fun:
Put oil on the bottom of the non-stick pan, then add water. Because the surface is hydrophobic, an oil film can remain between the surface and the water rather than floating up, even though the oil is less dense than water. If you add soap to the water near the oil film, enabling the water to better wet the surface, the oil film will slowly contract into droplets that float up to the surface. On the hydrophilic surface (e.g. glass), the oil floats as soon as the water is added, no surfactant required.

Ms Marple

« Reply #752 on: May 06, 2012, 11:45:29 AM »
Sitting in a restaurant and making polite conversation with family, whilst quoting Lady Catherine de Bourgh from Pride and Prejudice.  After 25 years, the inspector is making P&P jokes as well..

I guess he has been assimilated...resistance was futile.. ;)

Bellantara

• Normal is a setting on the washing machine.
« Reply #753 on: May 06, 2012, 01:11:59 PM »
You twitch when, in a video game, Alexander the Great refers to "Mars, the god of war", and spend the rest of your gameplay muttering that Alexander would have no CLUE who Mars was. He would, however, be quite familiar with ARES.

Hillia

« Reply #754 on: May 06, 2012, 03:29:07 PM »
I'm a baby nerd...just got into the Marvel universe in the past few years, and only through the movies, supplmented by DH's backstory explanations.  Today  we're watching XMen: The Last Stand, and I said, 'Hey!  Professor X and Magneto were already on opposite sides when Professor X started gathering students!  And he was already in the wheelchair!  No way Professor X and Magneto walked together into Jean Gray's parents' house!'

(Of course this is based enntirely on the movie universe...I don't know the 'real' story from the comics).  Still, I was proud of myself for a) recognizing the inconsistency and b) remembering plot details from one move to another - I have a  notorious goldfish brain.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Sanity Lost

« Reply #755 on: May 06, 2012, 06:48:56 PM »
When watching the "Big Bang Theory" with your DH and they play the super mario theme as romantic music. You not only agree but hum along :D

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #756 on: May 06, 2012, 11:12:26 PM »
When watching the "Big Bang Theory" with your DH and they play the super mario theme as romantic music. You not only agree but hum along :D

And when all the teens in your house correctly identify the gas they are playing with as argon.
I'm so proud of my liitle geeks! ;D

Reika

« Reply #757 on: May 15, 2012, 10:50:06 PM »
I'm not sure what level of pathetic geekhood I earned the other night. :)

A friend of mine and I were arguing who would win if pitted against each other, the folks from the Halo series vs Mass Effect. Even though I don't know Halo very well, never played the series but familiar through friends who have, I won with my arguments about Mass Effect since I know that series very well.

The funny thing is, he used my arguments on the thread of the board about that very topic that sparked our conversaton. And he won.  ;D

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #758 on: May 16, 2012, 07:19:04 PM »
Question: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles came out in 1984.

It is now 2012.
That makes them 28 years old.  ???

How can they still be teenagers?
Do we have to start calling them Twentysomething Mutant Ninja Turtles? It still abbreviates to TMNT....

Jess13

« Reply #759 on: May 16, 2012, 08:22:43 PM »

It is now 2012.

Do we have to start calling them Twentysomething Mutant Ninja Turtles? It still abbreviates to TMNT....

Same way the Simpsons haven't aged in 20+ years. It's fiction, they can be teenagers as long as they want to be.

Reika

« Reply #760 on: May 16, 2012, 09:44:24 PM »
And they are mutants, maybe their maturation was delayed by it? :)

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #761 on: May 16, 2012, 10:29:23 PM »
I hurt my knee last week. I was having trouble getting around the day after I injured it, so DH picked me up off the couch and carried me to bed that night. After he set me down on the bed, he grunted "Hodor" and wandered back out of the room.

OMGoodness, that is adorable.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #762 on: May 16, 2012, 10:43:44 PM »

I recently learnd how absolutely fascinating tardigrades are, so i ordered a microscope on eBay so i can gather some from my back yard and study them. It's got a cool brief-cased sized carrying case with a petrie dish, and blank slides, and a scalpel and other tools. I'm so pleased. It's nothing fancy, basically a kids' microscope kit; but i am really excited to catch my own little water bears.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #763 on: May 17, 2012, 01:13:16 AM »

It is now 2012.

TMNT don't bother me that they're growing up, since they were from my childhood.  The Powerpuff Girls are now well over the legal drinking age, though, and that creeps me out because they were that show the little kids liked when I was a big mature high school student :p

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #764 on: May 19, 2012, 04:36:41 AM »
I'm putting this here because I think the nerds might be interested.

There's a rocket being launched in half a hour (so when you Americans wake up, it will be in space) by a company called SpaceX. It's being launched in Cape Canaveral. They're taking a payload to the International Space Station.

I only mention it because my friend's brother works for the company who built the rocket. He is at Flight Control right now. He has a PhD in robotics.

This is rocket science, folks. Very very cool

Victoria