Author Topic: You know you've achieved nerdhood when...  (Read 169489 times)

vorbau

• walking around naked doesn't make you an emperor
Re: You know you've achieved nerdhood when...
« Reply #780 on: June 06, 2012, 01:49:49 PM »
You create a plan in MS Project for your summer's gardening, complete with materials specs, work breakdown structure, and deliverable dates.

This is awesome.  I would hope that when I have a house with a garden, I am this organized and good at planning ahead.

Do you update on a yearly basis and track performance from year to year?

Absolutely. Including which plants from which sources performed at or exceeding expectations, and which did not. And whether or not DH stayed on time and under budget in his bricklaying.
Let's roll. (And you can't scare me; I've had teenagers.)

vorbau

• walking around naked doesn't make you an emperor
« Reply #781 on: June 06, 2012, 01:51:11 PM »
Upon reading of the death of Ray Bradbury at 91 late last evening, you drape your office door in black crepe (actually the black headscarf I keep in my work handbag).
Let's roll. (And you can't scare me; I've had teenagers.)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #782 on: June 11, 2012, 04:48:40 PM »
I was laughing so hard at work when I read this. My co-workers are thinking I am crazy(er).

Good Afternoon,

As you already know our dear friend Assessment Page passed away sometime around 10:00-11:00pm last night. Given the time frame we can only assume he was in the wrong place at the wrong time, and had it coming. It's a classic case of "Who Done It?", and personally speaking it appears the work of a level 18 Paladin with Casting Spell. Or giant shapeshifting lizard on a quest to destroy our reputation because we were doing "too well" in this class. Either way, the Great Knight of Unthinkable Awesomeness AKA Me, has contacted Tech Services. It would seem the Casting Spell or Giant Lizard Tail Whip was beyond their Smithing Capabilities. They have sent the error reports to the highest ranking leaders, the Blackboard’s. Who know’s what they will do when they get word of a Level 18 Paladin or Shapeshifting Lizard in UCF’s FTP, as Kayne West might say “That is Cray Cray”. When Blackboard’s Mail Horse delivers their message of Active Service, I’ll let you know. Until then beware of Giant Lizards and or Paladins.

Sincerely,

-Great Knight of Unthinkable Awesomeness

greencat

« Reply #783 on: June 11, 2012, 04:55:44 PM »
This exchange, regarding the Epic Rap Battle of History Dumbledore vs. Gandalf:

My date, mishearing the name slightly:
"Dumbledore vs Ganondorf?  Like from Final Fantasy?"

Me:  Full Stop.  Glare.  "Seriously dude?  Gandalf, from Lord of the Rings.  And Ganondorf is from Zelda!  I'm a little ashamed of you right now!"

Date: "I'm a little ashamed of myself right now too!"

(My date is a fellow nerd and a good enough friend for the teasing besides.)

EngineerChick

« Reply #784 on: June 16, 2012, 03:10:07 PM »
My father has started sculpting in his spare time.  What is he making you ask? 

Weeping angels. 

After they are sculpted, he will likely be working with my brothers on how to mechanize them for maximum freak-out.

Not sure if this is better or worse than the monkey head sculpted out of a melon that he made and put in the fridge.  At least with the weeping angels we will know about them, whereas the melon monkey head was sitting in the fridge as a surprise to anyone who opened it.  Sigh...
Talk nerdy to me.

wendelenn

« Reply #785 on: June 16, 2012, 03:40:57 PM »
You buy tickets to the ST:TNG 25th anniversary showing of Ep. 106 “Where No One Has Gone Before” and Ep. 114 “Datalore” digitally remastered for the big screen. I am so excited. Date night!

Where and when?!
"I don't mean to be rude", he began, in a tone that threatened rudeness in every syllable.

"--yet sadly, accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often," Dumbledore finished the sentence gravely.  "Best to say nothing at all."

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #786 on: June 16, 2012, 05:11:19 PM »
When you and your kids are driving from from a "girls outing" and you realize you are all shouting out file extensions and racing to see who can name them first.

RTF!
Rich Text Format!

HTML!
Hypertext Markup Language!

and so on.

greencat

« Reply #787 on: June 16, 2012, 10:32:48 PM »

Weeping angels. 

After they are sculpted, he will likely be working with my brothers on how to mechanize them for maximum freak-out.

Not sure if this is better or worse than the monkey head sculpted out of a melon that he made and put in the fridge.  At least with the weeping angels we will know about them, whereas the melon monkey head was sitting in the fridge as a surprise to anyone who opened it.  Sigh...

It's amazing how a statue is the most terrifying monster on TV.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #788 on: June 16, 2012, 10:34:57 PM »
You buy tickets to the ST:TNG 25th anniversary showing of Ep. 106 “Where No One Has Gone Before” and Ep. 114 “Datalore” digitally remastered for the big screen. I am so excited. Date night!

Where and when?!

You can find theaters in your area and buy tickets at the link; http://ct.startrek.com/clicks?t=1136741046-c9ebe4c4c1ddd51e4febdf0795ea7ed5-bf&brand=STARTREK&s=35

I am a member of StarTrek.com, so they sent out the email about the special event.

wendelenn

« Reply #789 on: June 17, 2012, 12:12:45 PM »

Where and when?!

You can find theaters in your area and buy tickets at the link; http://ct.startrek.com/clicks?t=1136741046-c9ebe4c4c1ddd51e4febdf0795ea7ed5-bf&brand=STARTREK&s=35

I am a member of StarTrek.com, so they sent out the email about the special event.

Squee! Thank you!!
"I don't mean to be rude", he began, in a tone that threatened rudeness in every syllable.

"--yet sadly, accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often," Dumbledore finished the sentence gravely.  "Best to say nothing at all."

Shea

« Reply #790 on: June 17, 2012, 02:36:38 PM »

Weeping angels. 

It's amazing how a statue is the most terrifying monster on TV.

Last summer, a friend of mine who lives in a different city informed me that she was going to watch Doctor Who. As a card-carrying Whovian, I was delighted. She kept me updated on her progress and we discussed the episodes. One day she texted me that she was about to watch this episode called "Blink" that she'd heard about. I texted back: "Okay. In order to properly appreciate "Blink", you need to watch it late at night, alone, when everyone else in the house is asleep, in a dark room, with your back to a window". She blithely replied that she'd do just that.

Two hours later I received a text that said simply, "I HATE YOU". >:D

I'm happy to report that despite my evilness, she made it through the entire new series and is now as much of a raving Doctor Who fanatic as me ;D.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

Carotte

« Reply #791 on: June 18, 2012, 01:05:37 PM »
It's a small one but in my office I had to organize some supplies ( glue, tape, scissors..) in a little cabinet, I labeled the drawers 
[ Ctrl + C ] for everything that cuts ( scissors, x-acto knife..) and a [ Ctrl + V ] for everything that attach ( glue, staples). Makes me smile when I see it.

Jess13

« Reply #792 on: June 18, 2012, 04:16:25 PM »
It's a small one but in my office I had to organize some supplies ( glue, tape, scissors..) in a little cabinet, I labeled the drawers 
[ Ctrl + C ] for everything that cuts ( scissors, x-acto knife..) and a [ Ctrl + V ] for everything that attach ( glue, staples). Makes me smile when I see it.

This is brilliant! >:D

magicdomino

« Reply #793 on: June 18, 2012, 05:02:59 PM »

Weeping angels. 

WANT!  That would be soooo cool for my Halloween display, if only to find out if any of the neighbors recognize them.

greencat

« Reply #794 on: June 18, 2012, 09:05:08 PM »

This is brilliant! >:D

Noooooooo the "cut" drawer should be labeled "Ctrl + X" for cut!  Ctrl + C should contain carbon-copy paper!