Author Topic: You know you've achieved nerdhood when...  (Read 99258 times)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
Re: You know you've achieved nerdhood when...
« Reply #825 on: January 02, 2013, 10:56:31 AM »
I'm planning to get chickens in about a year, and have already decided the theme for naming them.

Did you know that birds are dinosaurs? Not descended from dinosaurs, are dinosaurs?  So I need saurian girl names:

Rexy
Steggy
Patty
Bronwyn
etc..
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Balrog, Rooney, Rascal, Rocket (M)

greencat

« Reply #826 on: January 02, 2013, 12:07:58 PM »
I'm planning to get chickens in about a year, and have already decided the theme for naming them.

Did you know that birds are dinosaurs? Not descended from dinosaurs, are dinosaurs?  So I need saurian girl names:

Rexy
Steggy
Patty
Bronwyn
etc..

You are missing the amazing opportunity to give your little tiny chickens scary names!  Velociraptor!  Utahraptor!  T-Rex!  Allosaurus!

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #827 on: January 02, 2013, 12:29:08 PM »
We had a nerd moment in moving - see previous threads about the vast quantities of stuff we moved from Arkansas to Georgia. It was, literally, five tons of stuff. We had almost 900 boxes, ranging from wardrobes to small book boxes. I had to go through the listing for an insurance claim I was filing, and counted 334 boxes labelled books. We have five tons of stuff, and fully 1/3 of it is books. Now I remember why I asked for, and received, five - five shelf bookcases for a housewarming gift. And have them filled.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #828 on: January 02, 2013, 03:46:10 PM »
Bronwyn
For a chicken?    Do you know the derivation of that?  It means "white breast."  Nom nom nom!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #829 on: January 02, 2013, 05:11:10 PM »
Bronwyn
For a chicken?    Do you know the derivation of that?  It means "white breast."  Nom nom nom!

You're bad. It's short for "Brontosaurus."
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Balrog, Rooney, Rascal, Rocket (M)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #830 on: January 02, 2013, 07:20:44 PM »
Saura?
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #831 on: January 03, 2013, 07:28:23 PM »
Did anybody see this "Geek Moment" in the news today?

Bazinga!

A scientist has named a bee after Sheldon Cooper's http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/story/2013/01/03/big-bang-bee-name-sheldon.html phrase.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #832 on: January 04, 2013, 10:12:42 AM »
Did anybody see this "Geek Moment" in the news today?

Bazinga!

A scientist has named a bee after Sheldon Cooper's http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/story/2013/01/03/big-bang-bee-name-sheldon.html phrase.

I can't claim credit for it, since I saw it in the comments to that story, but they really missed a chance by not naming it BEEZinga. LOL

MizB

« Reply #833 on: January 05, 2013, 12:19:33 AM »
When as part of your preparations for adopting a cat, you make lists of potential names, and they are all such things as Arya, Nienna, Kaylee, Atticus, Rory, Horatio, and Malcolm. Because your nerdiness is not only deep, it is also wide-ranging!

Well, almost all medical advice agrees that variety in the diet is healthy. I'd presume that applies to nerdery consumption as well.

Sidenote - I learn toward people names for my kitties too, but I'd never thought of Atticus. That'd be great for a cat!

If I chose Atticus, I would have a hard time not naming him Catticus.
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’  attributed to Edmund Burke 1729-1797

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #834 on: January 06, 2013, 05:51:38 AM »
I made a fellow nerd's day today by complimenting her Carbonite Han Solo cellphone cover - unbeknownst to me, her entire family had apparently failed to identify it and had been making comments about it being creepy all morning.

1. That is hilarious. If you didn't know what it was it would look creepy.

2. Do you know where I could find that? I'm really picky about having a phone cover that is comfy in my hand, and that sounds like something i can hold on to.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #835 on: January 06, 2013, 06:11:16 AM »

My own nerdhood of the day was sitting with two DS, and Pokemon games: Platinum, Heart Gold, Soul Silver, Black, White, and White 2.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #836 on: January 06, 2013, 12:39:20 PM »
Do you know where I could find that? I'm really picky about having a phone cover that is comfy in my hand, and that sounds like something i can hold on to.

Here you go - looks like it's specifically for the iPhone, but there are a lot of vendors out there.

greencat

« Reply #837 on: January 06, 2013, 12:43:11 PM »
Do you know where I could find that? I'm really picky about having a phone cover that is comfy in my hand, and that sounds like something i can hold on to.

Here you go - looks like it's specifically for the iPhone, but there are a lot of vendors out there.
It was a flat graphic - it would have been a LOT cooler if it had been a molded piece!

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
« Reply #838 on: January 08, 2013, 12:51:17 PM »
Doctor Who nerdisms:

You find ways to use "wibbly wobbly" in normal conversation.

The original quote is "Wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff."

Examples:

"Soda is that wibbly wobbly bubbly wubbly stuff."

"Let's go have some wibbly wobbly timey wimey fun!"

Another joke I use with like-minded friends is Dalek speak. It works best if I can speak into a running fan for that choppy voice effect, and it's quite amusing how my friend Rose falls apart every time I do my Dalek impression.

For washing my face: "Exfoliate! Exfoliate! Exfoliate!"

For chewing food: "Masticate! Masticate! Masticate!"

For politics: "Delegate! Delegate! Delegate!"

For passing gas: "Aerate! Aerate! Aerate!"

Ah, and one last thing, my phone's ring tone is the TARDIS noise. To assist those who don't know the noise, you may listen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwWsQFfEqzQ The particular sound is the landing. It has a slightly different sound effect for dematerialization. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1A6KES0CyA

Which brings me to this final nerdism: I can't stand it when the two sound effects are reversed in fan videos. Surely people listen closely enough to hear the different sounds for my landing and takeoff. I'm a lady, I try to be polite about my landings and takeoffs. Hmph. :)

I should stop now. ;)

"Kidneys! I got new kidneys! I don’t like the color..."

greencat

« Reply #839 on: January 08, 2013, 03:16:50 PM »
I'm slightly tone-deaf, so I hadn't actually noticed the difference between the take-off and landing noises!