Author Topic: You know you've achieved nerdhood when...  (Read 101221 times)

CuriousParty

Re: You know you've achieved nerdhood when...
« Reply #855 on: January 09, 2013, 06:38:19 PM »
Angel cookie cutter + frosted angel cookies + silvery-gray sprinkles = weeping angel cookies.   ;D

This creeps me out in so many ways.  But I'm going to make some.  I wonder how well I can make them stand up?  And move them when nobody's looking?

If you are making cookies that are similar to thin gingerbread or sugar cookies, you can make them stand quite easily. It is similar to a stand for paper crafts. cut a slit in the bottom of your unbaked angel cookie, and make a cookie stand with a similar slit. Then put them together when they are baked and enjoy the screams of horror.

(My apologies for the awful pics - I cannot find what I want on the web for some reason.)

So here's what I want to know, Blue.  Did you just happen to have angel/stand cardboard cut outs lying around, or did you create them just for this thread? Cause if they were specially created for us, that may win the thread :)

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #856 on: January 09, 2013, 08:22:24 PM »
Angel cookie cutter + frosted angel cookies + silvery-gray sprinkles = weeping angel cookies.   ;D

This creeps me out in so many ways.  But I'm going to make some.  I wonder how well I can make them stand up?  And move them when nobody's looking?

If you are making cookies that are similar to thin gingerbread or sugar cookies, you can make them stand quite easily. It is similar to a stand for paper crafts. cut a slit in the bottom of your unbaked angel cookie, and make a cookie stand with a similar slit. Then put them together when they are baked and enjoy the screams of horror.

(My apologies for the awful pics - I cannot find what I want on the web for some reason.)

So here's what I want to know, Blue.  Did you just happen to have angel/stand cardboard cut outs lying around, or did you create them just for this thread? Cause if they were specially created for us, that may win the thread :)

LOL! No, I do not usually have angel cut-outs lying around. I went and cut some out when I couldn't find any with Google. It is the first step I would take if I was making my own cookies - I'd make a pattern.

I suppose I'm showing a bit of nerdiness there in my thought patterns. "I can't find a decent weeping angel cookie cut-out. Let's make one!!!" :P
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

CuriousParty

« Reply #857 on: January 09, 2013, 08:47:58 PM »

LOL! No, I do not usually have angel cut-outs lying around. I went and cut some out when I couldn't find any with Google. It is the first step I would take if I was making my own cookies - I'd make a pattern.

I suppose I'm showing a bit of nerdiness there in my thought patterns. "I can't find a decent weeping angel cookie cut-out. Let's make one!!!" :P

Yes, Blue, sorry - an answer of "Oh, yes, I made angel cookies recently and had the cutouts around" is far less nerdy than "I needed a visual example for my post about Weeping Angels on anInternet forum, so I went ahead and made some."

But we love and thank you for it!

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #858 on: January 09, 2013, 08:57:43 PM »
My women's group has just recently started doing themed dinners - we did Italian this week, we're doing UK next week, then Japanese . . . I know what I'm bringing for UK night!  (Dr. Who is British, right?)

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #859 on: January 09, 2013, 10:18:34 PM »
Dad is a Dr. Who fan....I've never gotten into it though.

How much would it freak him out to have some tasty cookies "appear" at his house while he's at work?  >:D  >:D
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

greencat

« Reply #860 on: January 10, 2013, 03:56:00 PM »
Given that the Weeping Angels are the stuff of creepy nightmares - probably a lot. 

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #861 on: January 10, 2013, 04:26:39 PM »
Given that the Weeping Angels are the stuff of creepy nightmares... 

Not always.

Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #862 on: January 10, 2013, 05:01:37 PM »

Not always.

Amazing.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #863 on: January 10, 2013, 07:08:38 PM »

Not always.

Bwwaaaaahhhhhh!  ;D ;D ;D

greencat

« Reply #864 on: January 11, 2013, 12:42:02 AM »

Not always.

Without the caption - that image still is creepy!

Amava

« Reply #865 on: January 11, 2013, 01:37:18 AM »

Not always.

Without the caption - that image still is creepy!

I'm not sure whether this proves my nerdhood, or general curiosity, or what. Or maybe both. But it's a fact that I would now like to know whether this is a photoshop, or an existing whacky work of art, and if it does exist, where is it? Anyone any idea?

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #866 on: January 11, 2013, 10:13:12 AM »
It isnít a photoshop (aside from the text, of course). It is the front of Bath Abbey (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_Abbey)

magicdomino

« Reply #867 on: January 11, 2013, 11:52:08 AM »
It isnít a photoshop (aside from the text, of course). It is the front of Bath Abbey (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_Abbey)

Huh, looks like the photo is indeed right-side up instead of upside-down like I thought.  Most of the angels in the Wiki article's photo are climbing up, but there is one looking down.  His neck is at a very uncomfortable angle though. 

Shea

« Reply #868 on: January 16, 2013, 03:46:59 PM »
BF and I adopted a cat from the local SPCA last weekend. When we'd made our choice and filled out all the paperwork, we went to get the cat. As I opened the cage to lift him out and put him in the carrier, the cat saw his chance and jumped out between my hands and made a beeline for the large scratching post in the corner. BF (the gamer nerd) piped up, "Wow, that cat's got high dex!"

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #869 on: January 16, 2013, 03:48:31 PM »
BF and I adopted a cat from the local SPCA last weekend. When we'd made our choice and filled out all the paperwork, we went to get the cat. As I opened the cage to lift him out and put him in the carrier, the cat saw his chance and jumped out between my hands and made a beeline for the large scratching post in the corner. BF (the gamer nerd) piped up, "Wow, that cat's got high dex!"

"Dex" is a nice name...
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.