Author Topic: You know you've achieved nerdhood when...  (Read 150080 times)

Shea

Re: You know you've achieved nerdhood when...
« Reply #870 on: January 16, 2013, 03:52:24 PM »
BF and I adopted a cat from the local SPCA last weekend. When we'd made our choice and filled out all the paperwork, we went to get the cat. As I opened the cage to lift him out and put him in the carrier, the cat saw his chance and jumped out between my hands and made a beeline for the large scratching post in the corner. BF (the gamer nerd) piped up, "Wow, that cat's got high dex!"

"Dex" is a nice name...

Haha, it is, actually! Too bad we already named him Seamus.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #871 on: February 11, 2013, 09:33:42 PM »
When there is a Star Trek movie playing in the background that you aren't paying much attention to, the Captain's communicator beeps, and you reach for YOUR cellphone...

(It's my incoming text message beep.)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

LilacRosey

« Reply #872 on: February 11, 2013, 09:37:45 PM »
Peopl,e nick name you The Dork! At work!, LilacRosey

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #873 on: March 15, 2013, 12:40:04 AM »
Did anyone do anything for pi day? DH asked for a pie to take to work (software engineer). in 2015 they're going to have a blow out with deep dish pizza pies and dessert pies as well

So, in keeping with the theme, we had chicken pot pie for dinner :)
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #874 on: March 15, 2013, 09:25:21 AM »
We didn't do anything for Pi day.... but 3/14/15 will be a biggie!

Mal

« Reply #875 on: March 15, 2013, 11:07:20 AM »
You do your shift at the library information desk and can't help but overhear a conversation two boys at the Wii have about reaching a hidden level in New Super Mario Bros and you casually tell them they need a mini mushroom for that.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #876 on: April 23, 2013, 02:58:13 PM »
Several years ago, I participated in a Secret Santa exchange at work. Participation was voluntary, and to help the gifters choose something appropriate, each participant filled out a tag with 2 or 3 inexpensive suggestions.
My go-tos were always coffee and chocolate, and that particular year I added "Lawn ornament" because there were lots of cute options out there.

Well, the Coworker I Disliked The Most drew my name. And she bought me a lawn ornament.
Now, there is absolutely nothing offensive about this lawn ornament. It's a little cherub with reflective wings,  much like this one: http://outdoorstatue.org/store/cherub-garden-statues/seated-cherub-statue-medium-121702069919400/

I probably wouldn't have picked it out for myself, but it's inoffensive and I did find a perfect use for it on my deck.

However...because it was given to me by someone I really didn't care for, it's very hard to get attached to the little thing.
And as time goes on, it's sort of become affectionately hideous in our eyes.

And, every few months, someone spots it and starts another round of "Weeping Angel."  :)

This geek game involves taking the statue and sticking it in places designed to startle other members of the family.  ;D
This week it was in my dresser drawer (thank you son!)
From there it went to Mr. Dragon's sock drawer.
He, in turn, put it in the kid's bathtub, where a groggily awake teenager would be sure to get an eyeful first thing in the morning.  >:D
(Got an unexpected victim when Big Sister when to borrow the teen's tub for a late night bath. She shrieked most satisfactorily!)  >:D ;D >:D

So that is what geeks do. They find lemons and turn them into Dr. Who games of "torment the family!"

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #877 on: April 23, 2013, 03:38:30 PM »

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #878 on: April 23, 2013, 07:18:25 PM »
WhiteDragon, I believe this would be relevant to your interests.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!

Good thing the work day is over, I was making a lot of chortles and snerk-noises at the reception desk here!

I sent that home.
I have....plans for it..... >:D >:D

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #879 on: April 23, 2013, 08:01:24 PM »
No one will play POTC scene it with you other than your equally obsessed friend.   Extra points if you use character voices to answer and say "Well that doesn't count because it's not technically true, this game was obviously produced before At World's End!"
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Bottlecaps

« Reply #880 on: April 23, 2013, 11:38:18 PM »
You know you've achieved nerdhood when you start playing MUDs, when MUDs are well past their initial prime. :-P
"Some of the most wonderful people are the ones who don't fit into boxes." -Tori Amos

greencat

« Reply #881 on: April 25, 2013, 12:17:05 AM »
I work two jobs - IT phone support and retail management at a store that sells, uh, nerd games/hobbies.  I think I hit the level cap on nerdhood.

Pen^2

« Reply #882 on: April 25, 2013, 12:29:37 AM »
When my husband is feeling sick, I buy him red and blue fizzy drink (sometimes food colouring is necessary) and put them in little jars with string around the top: Diablo health and mana potions. It always makes him feel better!

And we often refer to foods in terms of how they'll improve our stats: bacon or anything with protein adds to STR, simple sugars increase DEX, complex sugars add to base hit points, etc...

Oh, and if anyone ends a sentence with "eggs"? Quickly followed by a staccato "STIR... MIN... ATE!"

Finally, I spent forty minutes in a shop last week trying to decide whether or not to buy a Tom Baker scarf. It never gets below 28'C where I live (even at night or during rain), so scarfs aren't terribly useful. In the end I bought some jellybabies instead (which took ages to find but were worth it).

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #883 on: April 25, 2013, 09:01:56 AM »
You've acquired enough monkey stickers from 'Think Geek' to identify every piece of luggage you own. 

TeamBhakta

« Reply #884 on: April 28, 2013, 01:25:27 PM »
Last night, my youngest cat was batting something around in the foyer. I flipped on a light and found some poor little tree frog splayed out + dusted with cat hair. I carried him to the bathroom, removed the cat hair, moistened his skin with a dab of water and petted his head until he wasn't shakey / playing dead anymore. Then I realized that the whole time I'd been saying out loud "It's okay, buddy. You'll be alright...See, you look better now. No cuts on your skin. She just scared you a little." ::)