Author Topic: You know you've achieved nerdhood when...  (Read 93278 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: You know you've achieved nerdhood when...
« Reply #900 on: April 29, 2013, 08:46:06 PM »
Well my first one was born before the POTC movies came out, but I did smile that his first and middle names are the names of POTC characters. Edward (first name of Captain Teague, Jack's father) and William. :)

And giggled upon watching Edward Scissorhands to realize Edward and Kevin are names from that. 

And oh, while Liam Neeson might have inspired me to name my youngest Liam, I had forgotten that the name was in another movie I love dearly, Secret of Roan Inish. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #901 on: April 29, 2013, 09:44:21 PM »
Well my first one was born before the POTC movies came out, but I did smile that his first and middle names are the names of POTC characters. Edward (first name of Captain Teague, Jack's father) and William. :)

And giggled upon watching Edward Scissorhands to realize Edward and Kevin are names from that. 

And oh, while Liam Neeson might have inspired me to name my youngest Liam, I had forgotten that the name was in another movie I love dearly, Secret of Roan Inish. 

That's one of my favourites, too! :)
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #902 on: April 29, 2013, 10:08:22 PM »
If you like that movie, you might like this book trilogy, called the Seal Island Trilogy.  The first one is Selkie Spell, followed by Selkie Enchantress and she just released Selkie Sorceress on Thursday, I think it was.

http://www.amazon.com/Selkie-Spell-Island-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B00642RLC8

That's the ebook link but they're now available in paperback as well.  I love them.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #903 on: April 29, 2013, 11:15:25 PM »
If you like that movie, you might like this book trilogy, called the Seal Island Trilogy.  The first one is Selkie Spell, followed by Selkie Enchantress and she just released Selkie Sorceress on Thursday, I think it was.

http://www.amazon.com/Selkie-Spell-Island-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B00642RLC8

That's the ebook link but they're now available in paperback as well.  I love them.

Those look really interesting! Selkies are fascinating creatures. Alas, it would have to be paperback, because I do not have a Kindle. I'm tempted to get one. There are so many good ebooks out now!
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #904 on: April 30, 2013, 07:11:20 AM »
Here's the link to the paperback books.  http://www.amazon.com/Selkie-Spell-Island-Trilogy-Volume/dp/0615793312/ref=tmm_pap_title_0

I cannot recommend them enough.  I just love them!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #905 on: April 30, 2013, 08:56:51 AM »
Even if you don't have a Kindle, the Kindle app for any handheld device, pc or mac is awesome. I have my Kindle library on all my devices; three laptops, two desktops, a Galaxy Tab, and an iPad.

Carotte

« Reply #906 on: May 01, 2013, 06:13:08 PM »
I fully anticipate having to argue with my as-yet-unfound future husband over which fandom we're giving our children names from.

Also, when you go to a party, and the pick-up lines go more like "what's your alignment?" than "what's your sign?"

Good thing that I have a boy name (picked from dr.who, and SO has a girl name from a sci-fi book, and neither of us object to the other one. But that would be for fictional, as yet to determine if we want one, with each-other, kids.)

While telling my SO yesterday that I'm always in need/want of a kiss I told him it was a constant, like f(x)=yes.
I'm not even sure if what I said made sense and is a constant (tho I think it is?), but it made him grin ear to ear, he's the math wizz :).

mmswm

« Reply #907 on: May 01, 2013, 06:17:22 PM »
I read math books for fun.

lilfox

« Reply #908 on: May 01, 2013, 06:55:35 PM »
I read linguistics books for fun.   :)

Shea

« Reply #909 on: May 11, 2013, 03:29:21 PM »
BF and I had the following conversation this morning (bg note: we met online. This is relevant).

Me: ::something about the aesthetic of classic Star Wars vs. the new Star Wars with reference to the 2009 Star Trek movie::
BF: I can't believe I've shacked up with such a nerd.
Me: Hey, there was a picture of me on my OKCupid profile dressed as Malcolm Reynolds. You were warned.
BF: ...that's fair.

It should be noted that BF is also a massive nerd. We spent last night watching the 2009 Star Trek movie and trying to play a drinking game wherein we took a sip each time there was a lens flare. We gave up about 20 minutes in, realizing that we would be, at the very least, blackout drunk by the end if we kept going.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

Seven Ate Nine

« Reply #910 on: May 11, 2013, 04:40:53 PM »
I went to a church garage sale for baby clothes and toys.  I bought baby clothes and toys, and a Darth Vader Potato Head that now sits on my computer at work.  I call him the Vader Tater.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #911 on: May 11, 2013, 07:46:21 PM »
I bought a Cthulhu plushie from Books a Million the other day. I told the clerk that I wasn't even going to lie like I usually do when buying plushies by claiming it's for my nephew.

Corvid

• Etiquette Hell Thread Assassin Squad
« Reply #912 on: May 11, 2013, 08:09:55 PM »
I've always wanted to get one of the Giant Microbe plushies.  I like the idea of having Ebola or the Black Death, but the Common Cold is pretty cute.

faithlessone

« Reply #913 on: May 12, 2013, 06:15:37 AM »
I've always wanted to get one of the Giant Microbe plushies.  I like the idea of having Ebola or the Black Death, but the Common Cold is pretty cute.

I have Swine Flu, Black Death, a Bookworm and a Brain Cell. ;D

(How weird does that sound!!!)

Shea

« Reply #914 on: May 12, 2013, 09:07:46 AM »
One of my friends gave her sister Polio (because her sister is a historian studying the social impact of polio in the pre-Salk-vaccine 20th century). Personally, I really want the Bookworm.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.